Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

That's what we're moving to.

We're even replacing out Fire Eye with a PA.

We've been using some IPtables firewalls but their time has come. The PA has just been a dream for the test setup right now, and how it can categorize and analyze the traffic is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I know this is a Cisco thread but I didn't want to create a new thread for this question and since Cisco bought out Meraki, I figured I'd ask here.

I'm probably going to get a Meraki MX60 router. I was wondering if anyone has experience with any of their products. I'm wondering if I can just use it as a home router with the features, or will I need the subscription licenses? I've been having trouble finding info on this online.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
We've been demoing some Meraki stuff at work lately, and everything is cloud managed, which requires a Meraki subscription to configure. The device will continue to function without a subscription, but you can't make any changes.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So there's no way to login directly to the router to make changes? That kinda sucks. Guess I'll resell it then.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

n0tqu1tesane posted:

We've been demoing some Meraki stuff at work lately, and everything is cloud managed, which requires a Meraki subscription to configure. The device will continue to function without a subscription, but you can't make any changes.

What the heck is a "cloud managed switch"?

More or less a LAN/WAN/VPN alternative that doesn't require DIA circuit?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What the heck is a "cloud managed switch"?

More or less a LAN/WAN/VPN alternative that doesn't require DIA circuit?

I think you can manage all devices (configuration/updates/upgrades) from a centralized webportal.

Cisco has something similar but it's god awful and I don't think there's a product that combines Wifi+Lan Switches/Routers

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Ah.

We have a couple of school districts that have reported to us that they'd like for us to firewall their traffic and also manage the firewall. This will be a huge hassle and we probably can't charge enough to justify hiring a dedicated guy to handle firewall change requests. Customer's biggest gripe is having to wait the two week turn around for ATT to do it (or hiring someone themselves).

Hoping to find a 'tard friendly firewall solution.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Ah.

We have a couple of school districts that have reported to us that they'd like for us to firewall their traffic and also manage the firewall. This will be a huge hassle and we probably can't charge enough to justify hiring a dedicated guy to handle firewall change requests. Customer's biggest gripe is having to wait the two week turn around for ATT to do it (or hiring someone themselves).

Hoping to find a 'tard friendly firewall solution.

Maybe checkout one of their webinars. You get a free AP (Meraki MR12) if you register to the webinar with a business email. Might not use it in the workplace, but it will probably beat any home router wifi.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

lol internet. posted:

I think you can manage all devices (configuration/updates/upgrades) from a centralized webportal.

Cisco has something similar but it's god awful and I don't think there's a product that combines Wifi+Lan Switches/Routers

Cisco Prime is the new product, and from what I hear is pretty decent.

The older CiscoWorks product is horrible though.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I upgraded my setup to Prime NCS recently. Its way better than WCS was for Wireless. I just use its metrics for my wired switches but I didn't even setup a read write SNMP community for it though.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Langolas posted:

I upgraded my setup to Prime NCS recently. Its way better than WCS was for Wireless. I just use its metrics for my wired switches but I didn't even setup a read write SNMP community for it though.

If you did it's time to upgrade again, the new name is Prime Infrastructure. :eng101: PI is a merge of NCS (wireless) LMS (wired) Assurance manager (metrics) and Compliance manager (HIPAA+++ reporting).

ior fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 27, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Does software update work for you guys using Prime Infrastructure?

1.3 is out, as well as an update for my MSE virtual appliance. The MSE release notes say to use Prime software update but it doesn't detect those updates. I also can't download the tarball for the MSE upgrade, just OVA files.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just had to share this little screenshot.

No, the password recovery mechanism was not disabled.

Seen all kinds of eBay switches with configs still intact, but this is my first government one. Always remember to delete your configs before you eBay your old stuff!

When I worked in government, albeit local government, I remember extremely strong prohibitions against letting a network device that could have potentially sensitive data in it ever creep out of the organization. Password recovery was also disabled on everything (and verified as such via Solarwinds). I can only assume the Department of Defense is supposed to be more stringent. v:v:v

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

ior posted:

If you did it's time to upgrade again, the new name is Prime Infrastructure. :eng101: PI is a merge of NCS (wireless) LMS (wired) Assurance manager (metrics) and Compliance manager (HIPAA+++ reporting).

Nice, That makes me laugh. Come on Cisco lets shuffle the wireless management suite around some more!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

When you finally do upgrade, in the top right corner, hover over your login name and click Switch to Classic Theme.

They tried to make it all lifecycle-y and hid every useful function in different menus. Classic Theme is reskinned WCS.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

bort posted:

When you finally do upgrade, in the top right corner, hover over your login name and click Switch to Classic Theme.

They tried to make it all lifecycle-y and hid every useful function in different menus. Classic Theme is reskinned WCS.

But keep in mind that not all functionality is available in classic mode.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Seen all kinds of eBay switches with configs still intact, but this is my first government one. Always remember to delete your configs before you eBay your old stuff!

When I worked in government, albeit local government, I remember extremely strong prohibitions against letting a network device that could have potentially sensitive data in it ever creep out of the organization. Password recovery was also disabled on everything (and verified as such via Solarwinds). I can only assume the Department of Defense is supposed to be more stringent. v:v:v

That's hilarious, but bad.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Even better if they used Cisco 7 passwords (reversible)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

They did.

Domain name from the config: ip domain-name soccent.centcom.smil.mil

Special Operations Central Command.

:downs:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: Just saw that. That smil is a SIPRNet second level domain. Someone hosed up hahahahaha.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

AFAIK, devices carrying classified or sensitive but unclassified information are supposed to be destroyed rather than sold as surplus. To give you an idea of how anal they are about technology - you can't even take a CD that's been in a classified computer and stick it in a machine of a lower classification or and unclassified network.

That's a pretty standard USG-wide warning, though, so for all we know it could have come from like the Forestry Service or BLM or something; non secret-squirrel parts of the government need to access them internets too, you know.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 28, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

psydude posted:

AFAIK, devices carrying classified or sensitive but unclassified information are supposed to be destroyed rather than sold as surplus. To give you an idea of how anal they are about technology - you can't even take a CD that's been in a classified computer and stick it in a machine of a lower classification or and unclassified network.

That's a pretty standard USG-wide warning, though, so for all we know it could have come from like the Forestry Service or BLM or something; non secret-squirrel parts of the government need to access them internets too, you know.

Unless they faked the config it appears to come from Special Operations Central Command and is configured with IPs in the 22.0.0.0/8 and 11.0.0.0/8 ranges. Pretty sure those guys are supposed to be super anal. Now it gets to have a rather boring existence serving truck engineers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Unless they faked the config it appears to come from Special Operations Central Command and is configured with IPs in the 22.0.0.0/8 and 11.0.0.0/8 ranges. Pretty sure those guys are supposed to be super anal. Now it gets to have a rather boring existence serving truck engineers.

You'd be surprised at the kind of people who find their way into working on classified networks.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

psydude posted:

You'd be surprised at the kind of people who find their way into working on classified networks.

Well I know idiots exist everywhere, particularly in large organizations. I'm just amazed that they would allow such a horrible config oversight and not have some kind of compliance system in place to make sure it never ever happens.

It's not like budget would be a concern for these guys and I would expect the senior engineers to be at least semi-competent. Even in my experience with derpy local pd/sheriff departments we had to follow the lowest FIPS 140-2 standard.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well I know idiots exist everywhere, particularly in large organizations. I'm just amazed that they would allow such a horrible config oversight and not have some kind of compliance system in place to make sure it never ever happens.

It's not like budget would be a concern for these guys and I would expect the senior engineers to be at least semi-competent.

There are several controls and policies in DoD to help prevent this, but most of them boil down to someone actually doing something, rather than just signing a document and going "yup safe for DRMO"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Every switch I pull out gets its flash memory and vlan.dat configuration erased. And then it's destroyed. And I don't even work on any classified devices.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Every switch I pull out gets its flash memory and vlan.dat configuration erased. And then it's destroyed. And I don't even work on any classified devices.

For fun and to help with "training" we take ours to the local explosives group on base, even at the unclassified level.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah I used WCS last year and I was pretty ughh about it.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

psydude posted:

This was NIPR, but one of my favorite tickets as a defense contractor was the PC that didn't have Internet connectivity because some IA guy (InfoSec) got fed up with IDS alerts and blocked the IP via an ACL.

It was a dynamic IP--no telling how long ago it had been blocked. The compromised system? Probably earned a PLA service medal by now.

Edit: Cisco AVC is awesome.

Before: "Why is wireless so slow?" I mumble something about sharing an office building with other wireless networks.
Yesterday: "Why is wireless so slow?" Because two users are streaming Netflix right now. Click, drop. Done.

Contingency fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 28, 2013

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For what it's worth I quite like Fortinet's two approaches for centralised management of their various routers/switches/AP's. Fortimanager ties everything in nicely and works in closed environments, managing firmware updates, tracking config changes etc. Forticloud is much less much and ofcourse requires the device to be able to talk to Forticloud over the internet, but it is nice when your device is behind weirdly NAT'd 3G networks/etc as it creates a secure tunnel back to Forticloud and from there you can manage/work with the device.

2c.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BurgerQuest posted:

For what it's worth I quite like Fortinet's two approaches for centralised management of their various routers/switches/AP's. Fortimanager ties everything in nicely and works in closed environments, managing firmware updates, tracking config changes etc. Forticloud is much less much and ofcourse requires the device to be able to talk to Forticloud over the internet, but it is nice when your device is behind weirdly NAT'd 3G networks/etc as it creates a secure tunnel back to Forticloud and from there you can manage/work with the device.

2c.

You can even get FortiManager as a virtual appliance which is pretty sweet.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CrazyLittle posted:

This is honestly fine.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 28, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
edit: *

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Does anyone know what cisco calls secure open wireless? i.e. The SSID is broadcasted, but there is no password on it, BUT the connection between the end device and the AP is encrypted?

Can you do this on a Cisco 5508 WLC running AIR-CAP3602E-A-K9 APs?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Powercrazy posted:

Does anyone know what cisco calls secure open wireless? i.e. The SSID is broadcasted, but there is no password on it, BUT the connection between the end device and the AP is encrypted?

Can you do this on a Cisco 5508 WLC running AIR-CAP3602E-A-K9 APs?

Uhm you mean the proposed solution to secured open wireless networks that really is not implemented on any platform without 3rd party patches? No you can not ;)

Edit: actually it seems they have adapted their proposal around SOWN to make use of 802.11u (which Cisco supports) so I guess you could make it work. Though it IS a hack, and your clients wont really support it.

ior fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 28, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Powercrazy posted:

This is honestly fine.

It's fine as long as the equipment never leaves with the config intact. Even other telcos equipment that I've recovered had (more securely) hashed passwords with radius/tacacs auth to remote servers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Even the Cisco MD5 hash is extremely insecure, just not as readily reversible. It's 6 characters plus 2 characters of salt, md5 hashed. The salts are all known, so really you just have an MD5 hash of 6 characters. Hardly secure at all.

Can be brute forced on a modest GPU within 24hrs. BUT fear not, the locally stored passwords are irrelevant for the security of the device since you are using TACACS/RADIUS.

ior posted:

Uhm you mean the proposed solution to secured open wireless networks that really is not implemented on any platform without 3rd party patches? No you can not ;)

Edit: actually it seems they have adapted their proposal around SOWN to make use of 802.11u (which Cisco supports) so I guess you could make it work. Though it IS a hack, and your clients wont really support it.
Thanks for the info, I do see the 802.1u option available, but I have no idea how to use it, or what requirements the end-devices need to support it.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Powercrazy posted:

Thanks for the info, I do see the 802.1u option available, but I have no idea how to use it, or what requirements the end-devices need to support it.

Trust me on this. Forget it for now :)

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Even the Cisco MD5 hash is extremely insecure, just not as readily reversible. It's 6 characters plus 2 characters of salt, md5 hashed. The salts are all known, so really you just have an MD5 hash of 6 characters. Hardly secure at all.

Can be brute forced on a modest GPU within 24hrs. BUT fear not, the locally stored passwords are irrelevant for the security of the device since you are using TACACS/RADIUS.

I was playing around with one of the new 15.0 releases of IOS for 3750s and it looks like SHA256 (designated type 4) is replacing MD5 for secret hashing.
Pity I had to revert to a slightly older version as the TenGig interface on a non master switch wouldn't come up automatically when the switch powers up.
This is had the fun result of losing any commands that uses the new encryption method like enable secret as the older IOS doesn't recognise type 4 encryption.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

this doesn't mean anything fyi...

i used to work in DOD and made my home lab replicate work down to the login banner

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/DTM-08-060.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
the ip's and passwords were different obviously but you get the idea