Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Apocalypso posted:

Have there ever been any psychic gimmicks, where they could always read what their opponent was about to do?

I'm honestly surprised CHIKARA's never done one, that would a perfect gimmick for them. At the very least it would have been a cool temporary thing when Mantis had the eye of Tyr with the obvious MGS tie-in.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Apocalypso posted:

I'll add those matches to my queue. I've started a routine of watching a match before bedtime. I prefer the good ones, but at least the bad ones make me fall asleep :). I was actually asking for what match (or episode) follows Punk's victory over Cena in the Money in the Bank match though. I legitimately don't know what happens next and am quite excited to find out.

Oh, I see. Well, the next part of the story was told the next night on Raw (July 18), and the next major show after that was SummerSlam. You can probably just watch the pay-per-view matches to get a general sense of the story.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Apocalypso posted:

This is understandable. There was a particular pair of Regal/Benoit matches that were near-identical though. It's fair enough really - it got such a good response the first time, and I doubt many of the same people saw the second one. By the way, another question about that match: Regal's head bleeds after getting headbutted, and I didn't see anyway he could have cut himself. Is Benoit seriously headbutting him hard enough to cut him, or is my eye simply not keen enough for their sleight of heand?

If it was Regal/Benoit, I'd put my money on them just working really stiff. Some guys have relationships where they just let it all hang out. I believe Angle/Benoit were similar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Apocalypso posted:

Another match I watched a few weeks back was Benoit/Regal. I'm not giving the date, because I then watched a bunch of other matches by them and found out they were all basically the same :v:. Is repeating matches common like that? And are there any other matches like theirs? I really enjoyed them. The fake slapping/punching in most wrestling was why I never really got into it. Maybe to MMA fans the "wrestling" looks just as fake as the punching, but to my untrained eye, the stuff in Benoit/Regal looks a lot more real.

My favorite match of all time is a match between Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle at the Royal Rumble in 2003. Check it out if you get a chance, it's two incredibly gifted wrestlers who both believe with all their heart that they are the best wrestler in the world, and they won't stop till the other guy is dead. The match is so good that the LOSER got a standing ovation from the crowd. It also probably helps that it directly followed one of the WORST wrestling matches of all time - Scott Steiner vs Triple H.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apocalypso posted:

Mike, any best two of three matches you'd recommend? I haven't seen any, and they sound fun.
I don't have any in particular I can recommend, but I'm sure someone else can!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Apocalypso posted:

The thing is, and I know I'm obviously not knowledgeable about wrestling, but my pinfall points thing really wouldn't be that weird. The points are already there - the referee says, "1, 2!". Just add a little points counter at the top-left, and you're done. I don't think people would find it confusing at all. And it would eliminate another cliche that turns me off wrestling - where the guy getting pinned lies dead still for 2 seconds before bursting up. That would be OK occasionally, if he just took a head shot and was supposed to be concussed, but most of the time it just looks fake as hell.

There is a match type called the Ironman match, which is kind of what you're describing. Every 3-count or Submission gives you 1 point, and the person with the most points at the end of one hour wins

There are also some 30-minute Ironman matches, TNA did a few.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Scott Steiner vs Triple H.

Everything about this feud is amazing. It did not include any wrestling but it did include body building contests, arm wrestling, and push up contests. It was quite possibly the most homoerotic angle the wwf ever had.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For best 2-of-3-falls matches, look no further than Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko's last match in ECW. One of the best technical matches of all time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wasn't the HHH/Austin 3 Stages of Hell a really good 2/3 falls match?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also this weekend on the ROH IPPV there is going to be THE ROD vs Elgin 2/3 match. It will most likely steal the show.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Apocalypso posted:

I'll add those matches to my queue. I've started a routine of watching a match before bedtime. I prefer the good ones, but at least the bad ones make me fall asleep :). I was actually asking for what match (or episode) follows Punk's victory over Cena in the Money in the Bank match though. I legitimately don't know what happens next and am quite excited to find out.

He returned at not the Raw directly after MITB, but at the Raw after that one. It's not really a promo per se, but he returns to a hero's welcome and a new theme song. The match that follows it is Summerslam 2011, which is a really good match even with HHH as special referee. After this one you may just want to skip ahead to Survivor Series 2011, when Punk gets back in the title picture because everything that happens in between that is pretty mediocre, unless you're a huge fan of HHH or Kevin Nash.

Then you can watch Punk's 400+ day long title reign, because it has so many good matches and promos with opponents like Daniel Bryan (the best technical wrestler in the world), John Cena, The Ryback, and The Rock, and you get some pretty great promos, especially after Raw 1000.

Most all of the 2012 WWE pay-per-views are worth watching, as it was a really good year for WWE big-match wrestling. The only real disappointments on an overall scale was the first hour of Wrestlemania 28 and No Way Out. Maybe SummerSlam too. 2012 was a good year, overall though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

He also might be more batshit insane in real life then his character on tv. Also I always got the feeling that he thought that he could use the WWF as a springboard to something more legitimate. That is why every now and then he decides to burn a pile of money in some fruitless endeavor.

I blame "Tuesday Night Titans" for giving Vince the "I want to be known for something other than wrestling" bug. :v:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

bobkatt013 posted:

Everything about this feud is amazing. It did not include any wrestling but it did include body building contests, arm wrestling, and push up contests. It was quite possibly the most homoerotic angle the wwf ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8ZZVimW_k

I disagree.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not so much that there's a strong reason not to do it as there's no strong reason to do it. How dramatic is it to end a match because a guy got a series of 2-counts, something fans are used to seeing in every match?

Apocalypso
Oct 31, 2004

HELP ME MIKE

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not so much that there's a strong reason not to do it as there's no strong reason to do it. How dramatic is it to end a match because a guy got a series of 2-counts, something fans are used to seeing in every match?

If you don't want it to end like that, kick out at 1. But you wouldn't book it like this for the same reason matches don't generally end with people being counted out outside the ring, or pinned after 40 seconds. Besides, it's not like other sports are boring because they use points. Football wouldn't be better if the first team to score a goal wins.

And there are plenty of reasons to do it. You could have a match (let's say first to 21) where one wrestler is leading 20-0. The other wrestler, knowing he could lose with only a second's worth of pinnage, tries for a desperation move, somehow connects, and pins him. Whenever the scores are both high, it would become instantly high-tension. It could provide "clean" wins that nonetheless didn't damage the reputation of the loser, maybe because they only barely lost, or were leading when the opponent got a lucky 3-count pin. Handicap matches (one wrestler starts with more points). And it makes the pointless pins at the start of the match where everyone knows they're going to kick out less pointless. For how important they are, pins are one of the most boring things in wrestling, and this would change that. And variety is the spice of life. If point matches became normal, it would increase the interest in plain-old one-fall matches.

It would also increase the "repeated pin attempt" spot that I happen to enjoy :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I reiterate my compliments about the wrestling community.

edit - I agree though, that fans would need to adjust their expectations wrt "filler" 2-counts. I think they'd manage it, but it might damage their expectations for one-fall matches if they kept seeing wrestlers kicking out at 1.

edit - Also, I'm a cricket fan, so I know my taste leans towards long, number-heavy competition.

Apocalypso fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 27, 2013

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Was TNA from 2005-2008 generally considered to be good? I was a huge fan of it around that time, and I'm wondering if I was just a young mark for the X-Division who could look past lovely booking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Was TNA from 2005-2008 generally considered to be good? I was a huge fan of it around that time, and I'm wondering if I was just a young mark for the X-Division who could look past lovely booking.

TNA in 2005 and part of 2006 was considered great. Some of 2006 is an afterglow affect of the greatness of 2005. In September 2006 Russo came back, gutted the X Division and stunk up the show with bad booking, so 2007 and 2008 are considered atrocities for the most part.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

If you liked Benoit/Regal you should definitely check out the Benoit/Finlay matches.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Regal/Finlay matches in WCW were good too, if you like to see an englishman and an irishman punching the poo poo out of each other.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

MassRayPer posted:

TNA in 2005 and part of 2006 was considered great. Some of 2006 is an afterglow affect of the greatness of 2005. In September 2006 Russo came back, gutted the X Division and stunk up the show with bad booking, so 2007 and 2008 are considered atrocities for the most part.

Wasn't Joe vs Angle in the 2005/06 bracket isn't that still the highest PPV buy TNA have done?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Wasn't the HHH/Austin 3 Stages of Hell a really good 2/3 falls match?

It was. Close to *****

Also TNA was only good for 3 months in 2005

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Croc posted:

Wasn't Joe vs Angle in the 2005/06 bracket isn't that still the highest PPV buy TNA have done?

Joe vs Angle happened in late 06 and early 07 (and then shittily in August of 07, with the MMA build match in April 08.) The first one and the MMA build led to a tie for the highest buyrates in TNA history.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Joe vs Angle happened in late 06 and early 07 (and then shittily in August of 07, with the MMA build match in April 08.) The first one and the MMA build led to a tie for the highest buyrates in TNA history.

And as such, it clearly proved that MMA-style builds don't work for pro-wrestling and they never did that again. :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MrBling posted:

The Regal/Finlay matches in WCW were good too, if you like to see an englishman and an irishman punching the poo poo out of each other.

Seriously. If you want to see something that's effectively a sanctioned barfight, these were amazing. It's just two guys slugging each other in the head.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Apocalypso posted:

This is understandable. There was a particular pair of Regal/Benoit matches that were near-identical though. It's fair enough really - it got such a good response the first time, and I doubt many of the same people saw the second one. By the way, another question about that match: Regal's head bleeds after getting headbutted, and I didn't see anyway he could have cut himself. Is Benoit seriously headbutting him hard enough to cut him, or is my eye simply not keen enough for their sleight of heand?

If I recall correctly, that was a game that Regal and Benoit would play during their matches. They'd get into a knuckle lock/mercy fight position and headbutt each other - first one to bleed loses. Regal never won.

As oldpainless alluded to, when genuinely tough wrestlers get in the ring together (and especially when they know each really well) they'll often stiff the poo poo out of each other because they know the other person can take it and they know it will make both of them look better.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
I remember this one Chris Benoit vs Finlay match in WWE around that period that was the poo poo. I really remember it because they did one of my fav "submission wrestler" bits which is where the other guy tries to not get in the hold as long as possible but when he's in he just taps straight away

e: judgement day 2006 just checked

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x705r5_chris-benoit-vs-finlay-judgment-day_sport#.US6dvaLuq7w

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

If I recall correctly, that was a game that Regal and Benoit would play during their matches. They'd get into a knuckle lock/mercy fight position and headbutt each other - first one to bleed loses. Regal never won.

As oldpainless alluded to, when genuinely tough wrestlers get in the ring together (and especially when they know each really well) they'll often stiff the poo poo out of each other because they know the other person can take it and they know it will make both of them look better.

One time, Benoit chopped Regal the same way as always....except he hit him in the forehead. It was on Velocity. It might be one the meanest things I've ever seen in the ring. And there's no way it wasn't intentional.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One time, Benoit chopped Regal the same way as always....except he hit him in the forehead. It was on Velocity. It might be one the meanest things I've ever seen in the ring. And there's no way it wasn't intentional.

I remember that one and cringed just from the memory of it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

LightsGameraAction posted:

I'm saying even in shoots with guys who are his friends, they usually say "The Kid, you know, Sean" not "Sean, you know, X-pac".

It's just funny to me that his friends even call him "Kid" over his real name, when that or "X-pac" are probably his most recognizable personas at present.

I thought part of the reason they all call him Kid is because he's the youngest dude in their group of friends.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anyone know what the last match Jim Ross called for WCW is?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Timbers Jim posted:

I remember this one Chris Benoit vs Finlay match in WWE around that period that was the poo poo. I really remember it because they did one of my fav "submission wrestler" bits which is where the other guy tries to not get in the hold as long as possible but when he's in he just taps straight away

e: judgement day 2006 just checked

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x705r5_chris-benoit-vs-finlay-judgment-day_sport#.US6dvaLuq7w

I remember that match, it was great how the submission was treated like "If he gets that on me I'm a loving dead man, do everything on my power to avoid it ahh poo poo he got it welp that's it for me". Really made the move look good/powerful.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyone know what the last match Jim Ross called for WCW is?

Ricky Steamboat vs. Brian Pillman (Lumberjack Match) - WCW Saturday Night (Taped 2/8/1993, Aired 2/20/1993):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8v0oo_ricky-steamboat-vs-brian-pillman-lu_sport#.US7WFKLYeFw

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Ricky Steamboat vs. Brian Pillman (Lumberjack Match) - WCW Saturday Night (Taped 2/8/1993, Aired 2/20/1993):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8v0oo_ricky-steamboat-vs-brian-pillman-lu_sport#.US7WFKLYeFw

It's hilarious to see Foley and....was that RVD?!?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

nasboat posted:

It's hilarious to see Foley and....was that RVD?!?

Yes. As "Robbie V".

I think the top five wrestlers people don't realize were in WCW at one point are Rob Van Dam, Sabu, Owen Hart, Edge and Jerry Lynn.

Also, Eddie Guerrero wrestled for WCW way back in 1989 and Chris Benoit wrestled in WCW as early as 1992. The idea that ECW discovered them and then WCW stole them is such laughable bullshit.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yes. As "Robbie V".

I think the top five wrestlers people don't realize were in WCW at one point are Rob Van Dam, Sabu, Owen Hart, Edge and Jerry Lynn.

Also, Eddie Guerrero wrestled for WCW way back in 1989 and Chris Benoit wrestled in WCW as early as 1992. The idea that ECW discovered them and then WCW stole them is such laughable bullshit.

Yeah, I remember quite a few of those. I had cut out on watching WCW probably sometime in '92, so apparently I missed RVD and I didn't remember for sure if he'd been around back then. One of the last things I remember watching for sure was a Clash of the Champions with Cactus Jack vs. Van Hammer.

and Benoit/Scorpio from Superbrawl in '93 is excellent.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yes. As "Robbie V".

I knew about Lynn and RVD and learned about Sabu recently in the WCW thread. No idea on the other two though and Edge especially is a surprise to me since he was pretty young when he was a Brood member in the late '90s.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I only knew RVD was in WCW because I bought his WWE DVD way back when. it's hilarious, he looked about 16 years old at the time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thauros posted:

I'm honestly surprised CHIKARA's never done one, that would a perfect gimmick for them. At the very least it would have been a cool temporary thing when Mantis had the eye of Tyr with the obvious MGS tie-in.
Huge winning streak until someone decides to bring in the Super Smash Bros., and even then only Player Dos has a chance.

That match practically writes itself.

Prons
Oct 11, 2012

Chick Magnet.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So I looked this up on Wikipedia and found out that before going to WCW he wrestled as "Sexton Hardcastle" :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NienNunb posted:

I think 2007 is one of the worst years in the companies history. They had such a pool of amazing talent yet that was the year where the booking got so bad that I didn't give a gently caress about wrestlers who I thought were amazing.

MassRayPer posted:

Always heard the MMA Build one did the most business. Personally thought that was the most overrated match.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 28, 2013