Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Jmcrofts posted:

Okay I just got my first smartphone, a Nexus 4. I have 0 experience with mobile gaming, so can I possibly get some recommendations? I like most genres but in particular I'm into RPGs and puzzle games.

I already got Flow Free, Hungry Shark Evolution, and Knights of Pen and Paper and I've had a great time with all of them, especially KoPP.

Do you like words? Word Feud, [WordHero], Shortyz, Word Mix, which are scrabble, boggle, crossword, and scramble respectively.

Don't forget the 'classics': Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump

Like weird poo poo? Try Battle Cats, Enviro-Bear 2010, They Need to be Fed, Splice, McPixel, Plague Inc.

Also apparently anything with 'dungeon' in it, but also Delver.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'd still recommend Little Things Forever, it's a really swish 'find the objects' game and it looks great on a high-res screen.

Some of it's timed challenges and there are little puzzle sections where you arrange tiles to make a consistent image, so there's a few things going on.

Clay Jam is a pretty novel game, and the whole claymation style is great too. Basically this one's a bit like Katamari Damacy - your clay ball rolls along, and if it hits anything below a certain size it's added to your ball, making you bigger until you can start picking up larger objects. The idea is to get bigger as you roll down the hill, so when you reach the end you can smack into the big mean monster with a lot of momentum and knock it as far as possible.

It's actually played portrait but it's pretty hard to capture in a still pic, this kinda gives you the idea. It really has to be seen in motion though.

You control it by using your finger to draw grooves in the ground ahead of your ball, to make a path it will follow, so you end up marking out grooves to intercept little clay guys while dodging around huge clay guys and other obstacles, trying to collect as much stuff as possible before the floods catch up behind you. You also get given challenges, like to collect 12 blue things in a row (avoiding everything else), or to reach the bottom of the hill in a certain time and knock the monster a certain distance (meaning you have to balance rushing through, and collecting stuff to give yourself more weight to throw at the bad guy). It's a cool game that makes good use of touch, and it's pretty unusual, so it's worth a try

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I love both of these and they're some of the few games that look good on the Nexus 10's screen. My brain tells me that I smell clay when I play Clay Jam.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is there any way to replay levels in Little Things Forever? Often I'll be using it as a time-filler and have to quit abruptly. I'm worried about running out of levels. :ohdear:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I'm looking for a hack and slash RPG that is "tap things to kill them" instead of very terrible on-screen control sticks and buttons.

I don't mind paying for it if it's mobile game prices, I don't mind if it's f2p as long as that doesn't mean "you can only play 20 minutes a day unless you buy ENERGY PACKS"

I have a N7 so anything should be fine.

edit: I'm trying the myriad of recommendations from the previous page, but, I don't know how to phrase this, I don't like the graphics of them?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 27, 2013

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Jmcrofts posted:

Okay I just got my first smartphone, a Nexus 4. I have 0 experience with mobile gaming, so can I possibly get some recommendations? I like most genres but in particular I'm into RPGs and puzzle games.

I already got Flow Free, Hungry Shark Evolution, and Knights of Pen and Paper and I've had a great time with all of them, especially KoPP.

If you have an Amazon account you should check out their Free App of the Day also. A lot of it is crap but sometimes they put good stuff on there. Either way it is free and you can always delete it. There have been things like Cut the Rope+ and other big name games on there and once in a while it is an app. You can use the same account for all your devices too so if you get an app on your phone you can load it onto your tablet too.

I have my phone and 3 tablets (2 for the kids) and I get so much stuff from there. The kids like to uninstall stuff and get something new all the time so it is great that they are free.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Jmcrofts posted:

If you like number puzzle games, check out:
Andoku Sudoku 2 Free - Sudoku with a few different variations.
Slitherlink (free) - Complete a line going around a grid. Way more interesting than it sounds:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Knights of Pen and Paper didn't really annoy me too much with the IAP, but the whole Blacksmith mechanic is stupid and dumb until you can put on rings that speed it up. I never had what I would call a "surplus of money" so I can't imagine how bad it was before the update though. It's not as bad as Dream House Days though, where it's like there's literally no point in the paid version except you can rotate your screen right out of the gate. :woop:

I'm having a ton of fun with MicroVentures, though it would be really nice if there were some kind of like, you know, command list or help screen.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Got to the bottom of the pixel dungeon again. Dude is fully decked out in a +5 Plate armor, and a +2 longsword (wasted a few enhance scrolls on a battleaxe as well) that i found on the first level and thus just dominated everything. Straight up mauled the boss, he could barely hurt me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Splizwarf posted:

Is there any way to replay levels in Little Things Forever? Often I'll be using it as a time-filler and have to quit abruptly. I'm worried about running out of levels. :ohdear:

I'm pretty sure they're just randomly generated challenges, and as you earn puzzle pieces you can unlock new stages. I guess it might run out when you collect them all but there's no reason why it should!

e- also if slitherlink is anything like the DS version then that game is wild. It's a simple puzzle game filling out the correct patterns, but if you have the right kind of mind it might get addictive

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 27, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I'm pretty sure they're just randomly generated challenges, and as you earn puzzle pieces you can unlock new stages. I guess it might run out when you collect them all but there's no reason why it should!

This is the best news I've heard all day. :hellyeah:

Also, nth-ing Slitherlink, it's one of the first games I got for Android and I still play it years later. It's excellent: elegant, simple and deep.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Yeah, Little Things Forever basically uses the shape fields and constructs a list based on what's available. And there are variations like timed "collect as many as you can from a one at a time list", "collect from a smaller list as fast as you can" in addition to the Shopping List standard mode. Also, when you get the required number of completed maps, you play a short sliding puzzle style game which is also fun.

But the whole thing is pretty random so you can't really run out. Only about a third of the images have object maps for them so there's a point where you get pretty familiar with a given map but that's only really a problem when you've played so much you're about to earn the "Get 1000 Little Things" achievement.

Anyway, highly recommended as a chilled out hidden object game with slick and clean presentation.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

precision posted:

Knights of Pen and Paper didn't really annoy me too much with the IAP, but the whole Blacksmith mechanic is stupid and dumb until you can put on rings that speed it up. I never had what I would call a "surplus of money" so I can't imagine how bad it was before the update though.

Unless you're specifically grinding for money, you never have a surplus. I've grinded for enough money to take the blacksmith all the way to level 8 where the time waited becomes 0 and unless you're willing to literally grind for and spend around $4500 on grindstones where you'll end up just buying weapons as usual anyway, there's literally no point. Not to mention, you're still looking at like $1500 per character to upgrade fully, while the same money would get you far better mileage from the enchanter equips.

Waiting for the blacksmith isn't even a real problem without it because the boosts from it are minimal at best compared to the other ways you have of boosting your character through skills or buying equips from the enchanter. I honestly don't get how anyone could still complain about the blacksmith at this point when not too long ago it was not only harder to earn money in the first place, but the highest level monsters were still 29/30, and to unlock everything the enchanter sold you had to level him up by giving him mushrooms as well while buying them or grindstones cost double. They've made this game incredibly accessible to everyone at this point.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Unless you're specifically grinding for money, you never have a surplus. I've grinded for enough money to take the blacksmith all the way to level 8 where the time waited becomes 0 and unless you're willing to literally grind for and spend around $4500 on grindstones where you'll end up just buying weapons as usual anyway, there's literally no point. Not to mention, you're still looking at like $1500 per character to upgrade fully, while the same money would get you far better mileage from the enchanter equips.

Waiting for the blacksmith isn't even a real problem without it because the boosts from it are minimal at best compared to the other ways you have of boosting your character through skills or buying equips from the enchanter. I honestly don't get how anyone could still complain about the blacksmith at this point when not too long ago it was not only harder to earn money in the first place, but the highest level monsters were still 29/30, and to unlock everything the enchanter sold you had to level him up by giving him mushrooms as well while buying them or grindstones cost double. They've made this game incredibly accessible to everyone at this point.

You're doing it wrong.

It's much easier to just visit all the caves to get the stones, from what I remember.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

You're doing it wrong.

It's much easier to just visit all the caves to get the stones, from what I remember.

Whats easiest is to make an AoE gold farming team (shaman/bard/mage/hunter/whatever) in one save, set all your poo poo to +gold and farm for a bit which will give you more than enough gold to max out the blacksmith and get you your alchemist items. As a bonus you can use that team to nuke up enough gold for any subsequent playthroughs too.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Saint Darwin posted:

I'm looking for a hack and slash RPG that is "tap things to kill them" instead of very terrible on-screen control sticks and buttons.

It's more of an action game but Undead Slayer might be up your alley. Note: it doesn't support rooted devices for some dumb reason.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

You're doing it wrong.

:confused:

So it's better to have my serious save grind normally and just sit on thousands of gold while I get strong enough to take on mom, while the new save I made to gently caress around goes and visits every cave hoping to find grindstones? While not having the equipment necessary to make the drop guaranteed?

I guess I should have mentioned that part beforehand, but I was just throwing numbers out to show what a terrible idea it is to rely on the blacksmith for upgrades rather than doing literally anything else available.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Why does android not have some really amazing Harvest Moon style game yet? It seems like the perfect platform for such a thing. I want to live a virtual life where I water a crop in the morning, climb a mountain to gather fruit at night, and have a chaste, yet romantic, relationship with the cute, but not overtly sexy, town librarian on the weekends leading up to a quaint wedding in front of the whole town.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Belding posted:

Why does android not have some really amazing Harvest Moon style game yet? It seems like the perfect platform for such a thing. I want to live a virtual life where I water a crop in the morning, climb a mountain to gather fruit at night, and have a chaste, yet romantic, relationship with the cute, but not overtly sexy, town librarian on the weekends leading up to a quaint wedding in front of the whole town.
Because energy-based transaction models took over so far.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

baka kaba posted:

Clay Jam is a pretty novel game
This is a very rad and refreshing game. I feel like I'm dreaming as a child when playing it. Seriously try this out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sorry for being completely off topic but holy god it's (almost) February 28th and nary a peep about Star Command release. They're really close now guys though, I swear!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Heads up for some notable games that have come out today:

Star Wars Pinball, available either as a stand alone app (with the Empire Strikes Back table included) or as IAPs for the Zen Pinball app.

Alien vs Predator: Evolution, made by the developers of the surprisingly great Predators game. Probably better than Colonial Marines.

Real Racing 3 (North America, ROTW), free to play sequel to Real Racing 2, now with more licensed cars and real life tracks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mrkillboy posted:

Real Racing 3 (North America, ROTW), free to play sequel to Real Racing 2, now with more licensed cars and real life tracks.

Now with lovely wait times for activities which you can 'conveniently' bypass with microtransactions. Thanks, EA! That's just what we wanted!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kirbysuperstar posted:

Now with lovely wait times for activities which you can 'conveniently' bypass with microtransactions. Thanks, EA! That's just what we wanted!

They're just doing what they told their investors that they would.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Obviously they're trying for the Steve Jobs approach. "And you can buy it right now".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

EA Games Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen posted:

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the[sic] business."

Guys, I guess we're outliers.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh man. I was reading about this last night. They really did take the absolute worst part of IAPs and turn waits by combining them.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm not terribly worried. Any even moderately popular title will have methods published about how to bypass whatever restrictions they put into place relatively quickly.

What a surreal debate it must be to have over whether cheat codes to get items in a free game constitutes theft... When they outlaw game genie codes only the outlaws will have game genie codes...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

mrkillboy posted:

It's more of an action game but Undead Slayer might be up your alley. Note: it doesn't support rooted devices for some dumb reason.

That looks cool, but it doesn't seem to want to run on my N7, says No Internet Connection. Right after I installed it. Over Play.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I get the concept behind paying to unlock stuff, but for me - any time I hit an 'energy wall' where I can't proceed without spending real money or waiting x number of hours, I'll usually stop playing said game and ultimately forget about it. That's a pretty big bummer when I am enjoying a game but I don't feel like it requires a continual investment. If they just offered a flat fee to purchase these freemium games where you'd never have to do IAP, I'd be behind that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Splizwarf posted:

Guys, I guess we're outliers.

Hate to break it to you, but...

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Just started kopp and I like it so far. Any advice for a newb? Do I establish a party of 5 right away? I'm still running around with just a lvl 9 warrior and lvl 9 druid

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

kstatix posted:

Just started kopp and I like it so far. Any advice for a newb? Do I establish a party of 5 right away? I'm still running around with just a lvl 9 warrior and lvl 9 druid

I started with a party of 3... I would get 5 as soon as possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

kstatix posted:

3rd and 4th member are pretty cheep, I'd get a healer and a stat booster. I went around fine with 2 people for a while then hit a brick wall where I needed a healer. But you can wait if you like too, they catch up pretty fast and you can put multiple bonus xp items on them to help.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kstatix posted:

Paladins are poop. Get a Rogue, put tons of points in Vanish. Archer is so good they're completely broken. Mage is essential for gold farming and good against bosses as well. Priest is not really necessary but will let you fight things way above your level. Buy the dungeon master that looks like Doc Brown ASAP.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Essential classes: Barb, Hunt, Rogue. Everything else is whatevs.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Looks like many different builds work then. I literally never put a single point into vanish and my rogue was the best party member until I got a hunter.

I spent most of my mage points in meteor and he did the most damage to large groups until I got my hunter.

The barbarian was awful in my experience.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I dont think theres a right class set unles you want to Min/Max. Just do your thing.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Paladins are the best tanks in the game, but are easily replaced with something that deals more damage. Barbarians are pretty good if you don't put any points into berserk until level 30 and also have a necromancer to boost their critical hit rate, then they put out the second highest damage next to the rogue. Otherwise they always end up getting dogpiled by enemies the second they begin to rage and half the time don't even make it to their next turn where they'd recover most if not all of their hp through attacking. They're still workable without a necro to buff them though, like every other class.

Warriors are probably the worst class in the game and everything they can do is done better by other classes.

Hunters are great, and a Rogue that crits on both attacks will probably kill anything you're fighting except bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bombadilillo posted:

I dont think theres a right class set unles you want to Min/Max. Just do your thing.

Truth, it's honestly an incredibly easy game no matter what you do (myself I never bought any accessories from the shop, just used whatever dropped).

I can see where the complaints about Pocket Stables are coming from but it's just so drat cute I really don't care. :3:

Also I didn't even know that MicroVentures is procedurally generated and that makes it even more awesome than it already is. Seriously it's the best phone-Roguelike I've played, it's got just the exact right combo of casual phone-ness and real roguelike-ness. And it's 100% free!

• Locked thread