Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Meta Ridley posted:

Bought a 96 Legacy GT 2.5L today, on the way home after buying from private seller it overheated/stalled. Radiator was bone dry. When i bought it I only checked the reservoir which was full.
I filled it up, burped it, idled 15 minutes, repeat. Took a couple cycles but it no longer overheats and the heater works properly now too, had a mechanic friend check it out and he said he didn't see any mechanical problems but said the oil was scorched. Said to throw in a quart for now and I'll get the oil changed asap. Cooling system seems fine now.

No water in the oil/oil in the coolant, engine sounds good still..is there anything I need to look out for? hope i dodged a bullet.
and yeah I'll keep an eye out for any steam/coolant leaks. also I know it was my fault not checking the radiator itself, been in such a rush to get a new car that I just looked at the reservoir and assumed it was fine. Mechanic friend did say everything else looks good, and thinks I'll be OK now.

Phase 1 2.5s are DOHC who have Head Gaskets that leak internally, so you won't see anything visually. It will just overheat and warp your engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
My STi managed 408whp / 450 wtq on the dyno but the clutch was slipping on that run.

Who'd've thunk that my 8 year old stock clutch couldn't hold 450 lb-ft of torque. Time to buy a clutch :downswords:

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 25, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
As part of my RS project, I need to fix my noisy power steering pump. It's making noise, and I figured I would buy a rebuilt pump and put it in, but the prices are 160+ for a rebuild? Why so expensive? A seal kit is 5 bucks. Is there any reason that seal kit wouldn't work?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am looking into a new(ly used) vehicle for my lady and we're definitely considering a 2010 or newer Outback 2.4L CVT. Are there any problems to look out for/be aware of? I'm doing the usual googling but I know this thread is a Great Library of knowledge.

And yes I wish she'd go manual instead of auto but it ain't happenin'

\/\/ what if we went for the 2.5L instead? :downs:

edit2: and yes I'm aware of cat's CVT opinions

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 26, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Well, besides the fact that this car seems to be missing .1l of displacement, I haven't heard much bad about them.
catterrorist hates the cvt though

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
If an engine swap is needed (and it may be, my car no longer starts..it cranks, turns over and just doesn't get going anymore - I suspect the timing belt jumped). Am I stuck swapping in another 96 2.5L engine ('96 EJ25D) or can I swap in a 97-99 EJ25D without much trouble? Or hell, is there a better DOHC engine that can swap/wire in easily?

Engine swaps tend to be cheaper than rebuilding an engine, but I can not find any other '96 EJ25Ds on craigslist or anything, but plenty of 97-99 in the $600-1000 range.

I don't have the skills or equipment to swap an engine myself either, so I am assuming about +$800 in labor. If I am way off on repair cost please correct me.

Guess I am just wondering what my options are. I'll get it checked out by mechanic first to see full extent of damage, or if the engine is as good as dead now.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Meta Ridley posted:

If an engine swap is needed (and it may be, my car no longer starts..it cranks, turns over and just doesn't get going anymore - I suspect the timing belt jumped). Am I stuck swapping in another 96 2.5L engine ('96 EJ25D) or can I swap in a 97-99 EJ25D without much trouble? Or hell, is there a better DOHC engine that can swap/wire in easily?

Engine swaps tend to be cheaper than rebuilding an engine, but I can not find any other '96 EJ25Ds on craigslist or anything, but plenty of 97-99 in the $600-1000 range.

I don't have the skills or equipment to swap an engine myself either, so I am assuming about +$800 in labor. If I am way off on repair cost please correct me.

Guess I am just wondering what my options are. I'll get it checked out by mechanic first to see full extent of damage, or if the engine is as good as dead now.

You can actually swap in 2.2L motors and they last forever unlike the D's where when they over heat they are dead. Yeah I think you can swap in later D's, but I'd wait till chrisgt gets back from chopping down trees or skinning beavers or what ever the gently caress it is he does during the day. He'll write you a dissertation on phase 1 cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Indeed - you should be able to drop in a phase 1 (at least) EJ22 without any wiring work. You'd be running a higher rev limit as well since I think the EJ25D ECU lets it rev to 6.5k.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 26, 2013

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Oh, my clutch.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm a big fan of the ACT HDSS for that type of power.

Meta Ridley posted:

The 99 has some upgrades to the shortblock, so if you are swapping in another 2.5 I'd look for one of those. Chances are it will have less miles and be in better condition, and ideally it has had the headgaskets changed at some point. I don't think I would want to go to a 2.2.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
in re an ACT HDSS: I'm hoping to get it installed in the next week or two.

Having power I can't use makes me sad. Sadmeth:

I did drive on the meth briefly anyway and it is a hoot. The power comes on pretty quickly, with some tailpipe flames and smell of alcohol. I switched to a lower boost setup because this clutch has to last at least a week or two.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 26, 2013

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Subaru goons, I'm in a tough spot. Hopefully someone can give me some insight.

Car: 05 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited, manual. 97,500 miles

Background: I'm the third owner. From the carfax, first owner was 0-59,000, had all the scheduled maintenance done at the dealership, etc. Second owner was 59,000 to 71,000. No accidents, no maintenance records. I bought it from a used car dealer sometime after. Rookie mistake, I didn't get it inspected before I bought it but it seemed in good shape and I needed something. First thing I did was take it to the dealer for the 60k scheduled maintenance. I figure I'll start fresh where the first owner left off. Dealer performs all the work but also informs me that there is an aftermarket turbo installed. I didn't think too much of it at the time because it ran fine and I wasn't looking to do any work on it other than maintenance. Only problem is I can't figure out what the previous owner was doing. He may have wanted to tune it and got another car before he got too far with it. He also may have blown a turbo (I guess this is somewhat common), and replaced it with whatever he could find before selling it off, etc. etc. Fast forward to...

Problem: Last week I got a check engine light. Went to autozone and found out it was p2096: Post Catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1. So I decided to take it to a local Subaru dealership as I'm relatively new to my area and I don't know any other shops or mechanics. Anyways, the dealer says that the front catalytic converter (after the turbo) is fried due to the aftermarket turbo. Basically, the car computer is running as if the turbo is OEM which is creating a different fuel mixture which prematurely fried the cat. They tell me that I could replace just the cat, but it's just going to go bad again unless I also replace the turbo as well. They want to replace the turbo and the cat with OEM parts for $2,800.

Options I seem to be hosed. $2,800 is a lot of money, especially given I'm due for the 90k maintenance (30k from when it was last performed) as well as the timing belt, water pump, etc in another 10k or so. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not really interested in tuning, but I guess it's an option if I don't want to go back to OEM. I don't know what turbo is installed but the dealer did say that it isn't any bigger, just different. I'll look tonight to see if I can find out what model it is. In general though, I just wanted something fun to drive and also somewhat reliable. I don't need to go super fast. Any options?

Last, I just wanted to say that an obvious option is to just replace the cat and sell it but I would feel bad basically giving someone else a ticking time bomb if the turbo is frying cats like the dealer says. This was my mistake and I'm willing to try and fix it. I should also mention that I don't have a garage or tools to do any work myself... I'm in Jersey City, NJ by the way.

Any assistance/comments are appreciated.

VVV edit: There are 3 cats, 1 before the turbo and 2 after. I assume it's the middle one that's gone bad because the o2 sensor is after the second one which is triggering the engine light. This is a decent diagram http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62001&d=1231172289. My understanding is if you aren't tuning, you don't really need to worry about the first one. If you go catless, how do you pass emissions?

Homers BBBq fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 27, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Don't most people just take out the that whole pipe and replace it with one that is catless? I thought the first Cat was before the turbo? I've read somewhere about those Cats going bad and grenadeing the Turbo.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Homers BBBq posted:

Subaru goons, I'm in a tough spot. Hopefully someone can give me some insight.

Car: 05 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited, manual. 97,500 miles

Problem: Last week I got a check engine light. Went to autozone and found out it was p2096: Post Catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1. So I decided to take it to a local Subaru dealership as I'm relatively new to my area and I don't know any other shops or mechanics. Anyways, the dealer says that the front catalytic converter (after the turbo) is fried due to the aftermarket turbo. Basically, the car computer is running as if the turbo is OEM which is creating a different fuel mixture which prematurely fried the cat. They tell me that I could replace just the cat, but it's just going to go bad again unless I also replace the turbo as well. They want to replace the turbo and the cat with OEM parts for $2,800.

First of all, I just want to say that your situation isn't as bad as you think it is. You will not need to spend 2,800 dollars.

Here is a link to an exhaust diagram: http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62001&d=1231172289

You should figure out what turbo you have, get a catless downpipe (the piping with the front cat that's burned out on yours), and have your car tuned to deal with the aftermarket turbo. Have your tuner disable the catalyst codes. If there are no tuners in your area, you can look into either a Cobb accessport or doing it yourself with a tactrix cable and romraider. That's how I would handle your situation.

Maybe someone else can chime in here but it might just be possible to get tuned for the aftermarket turbo and disable the code, leaving the post-turbo cats alone. The pre-turbo cats are the dangerous ones.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 27, 2013

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

daslog posted:

Don't most people just take out the that whole pipe and replace it with one that is catless? I thought the first Cat was before the turbo? I've read somewhere about those Cats going bad and grenadeing the Turbo.
That's the cat in the uppipe. It sounds like the problem is with the cat in the downpipe ("front catalytic converter (after the turbo)").

Anyway, it seems like it'd be a helluva lot cheaper to tune for your current turbo than to replace it with a stock turbo. After tuning you'd probably have a better performing and possibly even safer tune than the stock tune as well. I'm no expert, but it seems like before you do anything though you should make sure there is no other damage or impending failures due to running the stock tune with an aftermarket turbo for so long.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Makes sense. Whatever you do, I wouldn't count on the dealer. It's pretty rare for them to deal with anything besides stock.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
A lot of that cost is parts, not labor. If you're able to find a used OEM turbo and OEM down pipe and have an independent shop install it for you, you can cut that cost down by at least half, and I think I'm being cautious with that estimate. If you can figure out if that turbo is worth keeping, a catless down pipe and a tune like Hollis said is an equally good road to go down.

Sorry about the car, living=learning.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A picture of the turbo may give me an idea of what it is. Specficially the front of the compressor cover, where there should be some engraved numbers or a plate.

I see two options

1 is browse the legacy GT, nasioc, and 3gwrx forums for a stock downpipe and turbo, and then have them swapped on.

2 is pick up an aftermarket downpipe and get the car tuned somewhere.

Also, find out of you still have the stock catted up-pipe.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Does your state have emissions testing?
If not, I'd go get a high flow something from a good manufacturer (I have an invida).
If you don't go troll lgt.com for a takeoff for almost free.

Turbo same deal, though I'd lean toward a good used oem turbo unless you plan to mod.

Let's be clear that 2800 is loving insane. A new turbo is 1200 (OEM MSRP), and even dealer labor is only like 400 (I was quoted this when I though I blew mine up). Dunno a new dp price because buying a new oem dp is stupid. It would not add any labor.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Get a tune for $300–$400 and call it a day. If the car is running lean likely the new turbo is flowing more air than the oem turbo. A tune will straighten that right out and make the car more exciting to drive (yay horse power)

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 27, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A leakdown test is a good idea too.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Saw this Subie in Big Bear last weekend and fell in love.

Has a shovel strapped to the top. Subaru should consider making that standard issue.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
So I'm looking to get a little more bottom end power / torque, and I'm not sure if I'm going the right way in my search.

Vehicle info: 08 WRX - VF52 swap, catless turboback, grimmspeed ebcs, spearco TMIC, AEM CAI, stock BPV, and a conservative protune @ 313hp / 357tq

Would the next logical progression be headers, be it ported and polished or full aftermarket setup?

I'm definitely not planning on shooting for ginormous power gains yet, as I don't plan a engine/tranny rebuild anytime soon. Just a little more bottom end response would be nice.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 28, 2013

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for all the feedback guys. So the first step definitely seems to be to find out what I'm dealing with as far as the aftermarket turbo. If it's any good, then I will have more options. If it's a POS, then I know what my answer is. I'll take a look tonight and post it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

McSpatula posted:

So I'm looking to get a little more bottom end power / torque, and I'm not sure if I'm going the right way in my search.

Vehicle info: 08 WRX - VF52 swap, catless turboback, grimmspeed ebcs, spearco TMIC, AEM CAI, stock BPV, and a conservative protune @ 313hp / 357tq

Would the next logical progression be headers, be it ported and polished or full aftermarket setup?

I'm definitely not planning on shooting for ginormous power gains yet, as I don't plan a engine/tranny rebuild anytime soon. Just a little more bottom end response would be nice.

Porting the stock headers doesn't do all that much, but going to an equal length part like killer b or perrin will get you gains across the board. The stock UELs are just not that efficient and Subaru uses EL headers on the n/a cars and jdm sti and new LGT.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

jamal posted:

Porting the stock headers doesn't do all that much, but going to an equal length part like killer b or perrin will get you gains across the board. The stock UELs are just not that efficient and Subaru uses EL headers on the n/a cars and jdm sti and new LGT.

But then it won't sound like a proper Subaru :smith:

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
I just got a recall notice from SOA saying that they need to replace the front catalytic converter and reprogram the ECM on my 2009 NA Legacy. Apparently they have been degrading prematurely...I'm sure glad I don't have to cover that cost myself! :sweatdrop:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Apparently Subaru/Honeywell/Fram are recalling a bunch of the OEM blue oil filters.

http://fram.com/sites/default/f/uploads/en/recall_notice_02052013_for_distribution.pdf

Check the date code on your hoard of filters and if they don't pass, take 'em back to the dealer for a replacement.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's so special about the Subaru filters that people tend to use them over something you can get at the auto store?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

FogHelmut posted:

What's so special about the Subaru filters that people tend to use them over something you can get at the auto store?

Evidently nothing, since Fram made them.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

I've read that the spring for the bypass valve varies among manufacturers, so people prefer not to worry about which ones are good and get OEM. The cost difference is negligible and the dealership gives you the drain plug crush gasket too.

E: ^Yup, they're made by Fram, which means the filter is held together with "engineered media" (cardboard)

Neptr fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 28, 2013

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

One of the better writeups I've seen on the various filters for a subaru.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/subaru-oil-filter-comparison-99130/

I just use a Purolator been meaning to switch to WIX 57712 or Napa gold 7712.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Well ruled out fuel and spark on why my overheated subaru isn't starting. so all signs point to compression and at very least a blown head gasket (cranking it, it turns over and acts like it is about to start. coolant white smoke out the tailpipe and dies), and probably warped/cracked heads too.

If coolant is leaking into cylinder, what are the odds that hydrolock occurred and truly killed the engine? obviously hoping that isn't the case.
Also it tends to backfire while trying to start, and occasionally gets up to 1K RPM before dying a couple seconds later, would that be consistant with blown head gasket or more damage than that?

Anyway it is at the shop now so I guess I'll know by the end of the day

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Meta Ridley posted:

Well ruled out fuel and spark on why my overheated subaru isn't starting. so all signs point to compression and at very least a blown head gasket (cranking it, it turns over and acts like it is about to start. coolant white smoke out the tailpipe and dies), and probably warped/cracked heads too.

If coolant is leaking into cylinder, what are the odds that hydrolock occurred and truly killed the engine? obviously hoping that isn't the case.
Also it tends to backfire while trying to start, and occasionally gets up to 1K RPM before dying a couple seconds later, would that be consistant with blown head gasket or more damage than that?

Anyway it is at the shop now so I guess I'll know by the end of the day

It's more likely that warped heads/deck killed the engine. If I was a betting man, I'd say you should start checking craigslist.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Think you are right, just in denial or trying to be optimistic :(

One other option I have is using the heads & I/M from a broken-down 97 2.2L Impreza (EJ22E, bad block but rest is good). From what I've read, the two should be compatible with the ECU and this combo is actually more powerful? I'd still be risking my 2.5 block being bad or damaged/weakened.. but I would be saving on parts tknow a mechanic with a shop who can do the work for cheap.

It would suck to do this, then realize the pistons or block is cracked too. Examining all that is pretty much the same labor as a full rebuild too. I'll probably play it safe and buy a full reman'd engine from ebay or something.

Only reason I am not cutting my losses and scrapping it is because I literally paid $2900 and got 0 use out of it

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Sudo Echo posted:

But then it won't sound like a proper Subaru :smith:

I think the sound is a silly reason to not go to equal headers but I'm very biased since I have equal length headers on the car. It still sounds ok! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2gti8P0kc

McSpatula, my STi has a big turbo but I can show you the before/after curves of adding headers on my setup.

Before headers @ 21.2 psi, 93 octane:

After headers @ 21.6 psi, 93 octane:

:getin:

Substantially the same conditions on both dyno days. Invidia equal length headers, ceramic coated by Swaintech, FP Green HTA turbo. Not spraying meth on either run.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 28, 2013

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
So much for equal length headers only being worth 5hp...

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Amandyke posted:

So much for equal length headers only being worth 5hp...

I had been told the gain would be pretty minimal, and was a little concerned that I was going to be wasting $1000 to make my car sound like a bunch of bees, but in reality it was a significant gain across the entire powerband. The sound may also be cooler than before. The exhaust header was definitely a limiting factor in my setup.

30hp and 50 lb/ft gain :obama:

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 28, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Meta Ridley posted:

Think you are right, just in denial or trying to be optimistic :(

One other option I have is using the heads & I/M from a broken-down 97 2.2L Impreza (EJ22E, bad block but rest is good). From what I've read, the two should be compatible with the ECU and this combo is actually more powerful? I'd still be risking my 2.5 block being bad or damaged/weakened.. but I would be saving on parts tknow a mechanic with a shop who can do the work for cheap.

It would suck to do this, then realize the pistons or block is cracked too. Examining all that is pretty much the same labor as a full rebuild too. I'll probably play it safe and buy a full reman'd engine from ebay or something.

Only reason I am not cutting my losses and scrapping it is because I literally paid $2900 and got 0 use out of it

How many days did you have it? 4 days and a completely destroyed engine? Call a lawyer, or at least call the seller and threaten legal action.

Roman Rambo posted:

I had been told the gain would be pretty minimal, and was a little concerned that I was going to be wasting $1000 to make my car sound like a bunch of bees, but in reality it was a significant gain across the entire powerband. The sound may also be cooler than before. The exhaust header was definitely a limiting factor in my setup.

That is how working with stock engines is, you reach different bottlenecks as you progress. Every part becomes a limiting factor at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I'm the limiting factor right now because I need to build up some more balls and get comfortable with this power level. When my clutch is put in next month I'm gonna need to make some passes spraying meth and get used to it.