Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Oh god those stones. :gonk: poor dog!

Dog Life:

Such a hard life he's got. :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Anyone in the DFW/central Texas area want a doggy?

My coworker found this guy wandering around in front of her house, our best guess at the moment is a husky/retriever mix. He's obviously a stray, real thin and dirty and full of worms. She says he's real sweet and would keep him but her dog does not get along with other dogs so he needs a home other than hers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo I want that dog. He looks perfect, I bet he'd make a perfect skijoring/bikejoring/deathjoring partner for Ooka. :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bad Munki posted:

Holy poo poo I want that dog. He looks perfect, I bet he'd make a perfect skijoring/bikejoring/deathjoring partner for Ooka. :(

You know what to do.
For science :P

ps - if Ooka has the chainsaw, what would this guy have?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Siochain posted:

You know what to do.
For science :P

ps - if Ooka has the chainsaw, what would this guy have?

Oh, I have plenty of other dangerous devices he could manage. Chainsaws are just the start. :ese:

Besides, he looks more like the "I mowed the lawn and your car" kind of dog.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 27, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My coworker found this guy wandering around in front of her house, our best guess at the moment is a husky/retriever mix. He's obviously a stray, real thin and dirty and full of worms. She says he's real sweet and would keep him but her dog does not get along with other dogs so he needs a home other than hers.

This dog is seriously cool. You should totally get him, Bad Munki!

Does anyone else wonder if their neighbours hate them for no reason? :haw:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

How big is he and when does she need him gone? He's a prim, so I'm sure our prez would have no problem if I posted him to our Facebook page. We also recently got a few applicants in wanting Shiba mixes, and he could be close enough for them. Has he been to a vet?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fraction posted:

This dog is seriously cool. You should totally get him, Bad Munki!

There's no way...aside from the fact that he's 1300 miles away, I don't think adding a new dog to the dog-cat-wife-in-residency-11-month-old-baby mix would be anywhere near a good idea. :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

paisleyfox posted:

How big is he and when does she need him gone? He's a prim, so I'm sure our prez would have no problem if I posted him to our Facebook page. We also recently got a few applicants in wanting Shiba mixes, and he could be close enough for them. Has he been to a vet?

He needs to be gone ASAP since her dog is not dog friendly and hates this dog. I haven't actually met the dog but my guess is 50-60 pounds.

He's been to the vet, he was all full of worms but he's been treated for them. He got his shots while he was there too.

Edit: he weighs 62 pounds

Problem! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 27, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I can't get over how awesome it is to finally have a yard for Vecna :3: he's so much calmer and content now and he's gotten a lot more independent. He doesn't seem to feel the need to be 6" away from me at all times now and will actually just go outside and play by himself when I'm busy. he seems so much happier in San Diego. And it's nice that he can chill outside while we're working (before anyone gets on my case for this, my husband and I work next door to our house and can hear and see him all day. I don't see any reason to crate him inside when were able to keep an eye on him)

I don't know how much of the landscaping will survive the wrath of Vecna though, he's doing a number on the shrubs :sigh:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Triangulum posted:

I can't get over how awesome it is to finally have a yard for Vecna :3:

Awww I'm happy for all three of you! My two normally follow me everwhere. Kitchen to get tea? Dogs right behind me. Bathroom? Dogs laying with noses pressed to the doorjamb. At my parents, with the door open to the fenced yard? Dogs in the yard not bothing anyone except the neighbor dog.

And I don't think my parents have any grass left to mow, just mud and dirt from all the running and playing. Whoops :)

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

adventure in the sandbox posted:

And I don't think my parents have any grass left to mow, just mud and dirt from all the running and playing. Whoops :)
I'm trying to look for land to build a house on or alternatively a decent house with a huge yard I could buy. The dogs would love it!

Poor Sukka started coughing and reverse sneezing yesterday. I gave it until morning, but because he was still coughing I took him to the vet today. Like I thought, he likely has kennel cough. It sucks that he is sick, but it also sucks that I have to cancel trials and classes for all three dogs for at least two weeks. I was supposed to have an hour of private instruction by one of the best agility coaches in the country on Friday. So much for that :sigh:

Anyone have ideas on how to keep a 7mo old border collie puppy at rest for 1-2 weeks (while the symptoms last)? He's a bit listless, but by no means calm and low energy even if he's feeling a bit off.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Rixatrix posted:

Anyone have ideas on how to keep a 7mo old border collie puppy at rest for 1-2 weeks ...?

Break his legs?

I just bought a house too. And it has a yard. I move in at the end of May. The dogs will have a yard. Yay! No more leashed pee breaks, and plenty of room to play. $1000 says they don't hang out there for any length of time, as they prefer being attached to my hip.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

a life less posted:

Break his legs?

I just bought a house too. And it has a yard. I move in at the end of May. The dogs will have a yard. Yay! No more leashed pee breaks, and plenty of room to play. $1000 says they don't hang out there for any length of time, as they prefer being attached to my hip.
That was my first suggestion at the vet. She didn't agree. I still think it'd be most effective though.

Congrats on the house! And Triangulum too! I'm kind of looking, but it seems like such an effort to buy one, especially if you buy land and build your own. I should just get someone to do it for me I guess.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Bathroom? Dogs laying with noses pressed to the doorjamb.

I've learned to use this to my advantage. When Psyche is being annoying and won't settle down/won't leave me alone, I just chuck her out of the room I'm in, close the door, and like magic, she lays down pressed against the door until I let her back in.

Unfortunately, I get nervous about her being out of my sight, so it's never that long before I check on her. :laffo:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Thanks guy:)

I wish Vecna would lay outside the bathroom! He always follows me in, sits down in front of me, and stares directly in my eyes it's the creepiest loving thing and if you close the door he'll open it. Thank god our new house has interior locks.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Triangulum posted:

Thanks guy:)

I wish Vecna would lay outside the bathroom! He always follows me in, sits down in front of me, and stares directly in my eyes it's the creepiest loving thing and if you close the door he'll open it. Thank god our new house has interior locks.

Feldman learned pretty early on that he can open doors with his weight if they're not closed properly. Nothing like using the bathroom, only to have him come in and start licking your ankles. :argh: Stop being creepy, dog!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman learned pretty early on that he can open doors with his weight if they're not closed properly. Nothing like using the bathroom, only to have him come in and start licking your ankles. :argh: Stop being creepy, dog!

If someone in my house doesn't close the door when they go to the toilet, I send Lola running up full blast up the stairs to see them. She leaps against their legs and tries to knock them off the toilet.

If I call Lola to me she does it to me, too. :saddowns:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bad Munki posted:

Well, if you need further assistance, my sister lives in NYC and while she can't take a dog herself due to a roommate, she does have a friend who almost certainly could, and at the very least, she (my sister) could bring the dog as far as Erie, and I could take the dog further into Ohio and such.

We all just want to help! :ohdear:

Chloe Update!

She is officially out of the bad bad bad bad house and my SiL is fostering her. Right now, we have two major and one minor candidates for adoption.

The less likely one is a coworker of my wifes; this is a long shot because she's waiting to close on a short sale house which is taking forever.

Second choice is a friend in Missouri, who bought a house a few months ago after years and years in apartments and is looking for a dog.

First and best option would be the next door neighbors of our friend who adopted Tonka the pit bull. The husband is a counselor/teacher at the same facility (they all live on several hundred acres of fields/woods/ponds/trails that serve as a school campus for children with behavioral and developmental disorders) and the wife is one of the new trainers for the Guiding Eyes programs the place offers. We're really really hoping this one goes through because they would be just perfect.

I mean really, who wouldn't want this?

Also, in case anyone is interested in the organization Joe works for, this is their website https://www.greenchimneys.org If any of you used to watch Animal Cops (the original NYC edition), the starving horse that was found abandoned in the parking garage went to Green Chimneys for treatment and became a resident. My wife used to drive past his little private pasture on her way to school :3:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TVs Ian posted:

If any of you used to watch Animal Cops (the original NYC edition)

Haha, I've literally been watching AC all day today, I don't care if it's reruns. I was actually thinking just this morning that there needs to be a channel that just plays Animal Cops, all day, every day.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

TVs Ian posted:

Chloe Update!

She is officially out of the bad bad bad bad house and my SiL is fostering her. Right now, we have two major and one minor candidates for adoption.

Second choice is a friend in Missouri, who bought a house a few months ago after years and years in apartments and is looking for a dog.

First and best option would be the next door neighbors of our friend who adopted Tonka the pit bull. The husband is a counselor/teacher at the same facility (they all live on several hundred acres of fields/woods/ponds/trails that serve as a school campus for children with behavioral and developmental disorders) and the wife is one of the new trainers for the Guiding Eyes programs the place offers. We're really really hoping this one goes through because they would be just perfect.

I mean really, who wouldn't want this?

Good luck Chloe! Where in Missouri is your friend? I'm in Missouri and if she comes here and is close, I may have to meet her. She's so cute! Look at those ears!

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4017404959583
Bull Terriers being adorable :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Soo movin this from the catlady confession thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post412955630

Her and Moses are in love with each other and its the weirdest thing that has ever happened. It isn't because she's a girl either, he normally tried to murder girl dogs just as much as boy dogs. I wasn't expecting that and have pretty much just been going :stare: at my dog for half the day.

She initially wanted to kill Frankie and turned into an absolutely hilarious tornado of slobber and screaming and rage at the sight of him, but I fixed it with treats and now she is just looking at him like a turd to be delicately stepped around.

I still don't get what her and Moses have going on though and it's kind of freaking me out.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

You weren't kidding about the dog makeouts, that picture!

She's a pretty girl with a big ole noggin. Wanna give that noggin kisses :3:

What have you named her?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Do her eyes ever stop being complete :stare: like that? She's a pretty girl but holy crap, her expression is hilarious.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Who the hell is that and where'd she come from?!? :3:
I don't follow the other thread.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

WolfensteinBag posted:

Basically it was Super being Super and going all :qq: over a pit about to be put to sleep. So she took the dog from the shelter because Gotta Rescue Them All.

:3: Horray for Super!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

No, there's something very wrong here. I thought there are too many pits and any pits not bred in the back hills of the deep south aren't worthy and they could all get gassed for all Super cares? :colbert:
;)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

WolfensteinBag posted:

From the other thread:

Superconsndar posted:

I know I can not foster the female pit bull that is first on tomorrow's kill list at animal control (she was pulled from the adoption floor after being deemed "aggressive" for allegedly "going after" an employee who chased her around and trapped her in a corner after she escaped her kennel and wouldn't come to him. She didn't actually bite anyone, no one has specified what "going after" the employee actually means, and volunteers who have seen her have said she is just very timid and fearful, probably because she is at animal control!!)

I know I can't foster her because I work all day and barely have time to do all the poo poo I need to do with my own dogs AND YET, I still spent several hours discussing at length with my partner ways I could possibly foster her and attempting to rationalize it. One of my old pit bulls was very fearful so you see I already have experience with Fearful Pit Bulls, and omg she looks like A Nice Dog and We Have To Do Something waaaaa

I do this like all the time, because I am I guess retarded. I could just unlike/block all of the local rescue groups on my facebook and save myself a bunch of drama, but NOPE

(this is her btw she looks super aggressive)
http://youtu.be/aqPyP0DhHWY

Superconsndar posted:

Dear confession thread:

I just went (with a couple of local rescue lady who agreed to sponsor her and cover her adoption fee) and pulled her on my lunch hour. I don't have a lot of time to give her, but she is a GREAT little dog and a few weeks not getting quite enough attention is better than being euthed after being given no chance to be adopted. She's chillin in a crate at home and said rescue ladies are gonna help me find her an understanding home. She is a bit head-shy and doesn't like to be loomed over by strangers, but I saw absolutely nothing that indicated aggression, just lots of scared defensive postures. If you touch her head too quickly she reflexively lifts her lip and jerks her head around, but makes no attempt to actually nip or bite. She's either been poorly handled or unsocialized or both, but I see nothing that indicates actual HA behavior. She'll be fine in a home that understands that she's fearful and is willing to work with her.

They made me sign a waiver to adopt her and acted like I was jumping into a pit of lava when I went to get her out of her kennel. They refused to handle her at all.

She's a great little girl and I'm not sorry, she has no business being put down for aggression because she had the nerve to be scared after her owner of 5 years dumped her in a strange place with scary people who acted dumb towards her. She seems like she is a good dog.

Basically, she startled an employee and they got a massive stick up their asses about how she was gonna murder everyone and were hell bent on not adopting her out and it was a stupid pile of bullshit, she's just a regular dog scared of being in a shelter.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 28, 2013

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Oh man that first picture made me LOL when I scrolled down to it. And her face in the second picture is amazingly :stare: She looks like she's on some drugs.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:argh: at people working with dogs who have zero understanding of behavior!!
Thanks so much for helping her out. :3:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Superconsndar posted:

Her and Moses are in love with each other and its the weirdest thing that has ever happened. It isn't because she's a girl either, he normally tried to murder girl dogs just as much as boy dogs. I wasn't expecting that and have pretty much just been going :stare: at my dog for half the day.

She initially wanted to kill Frankie and turned into an absolutely hilarious tornado of slobber and screaming and rage at the sight of him, but I fixed it with treats and now she is just looking at him like a turd to be delicately stepped around.

I still don't get what her and Moses have going on though and it's kind of freaking me out.

They are united in their "WTF is that :staredog:" reaction to BTs and have found wuv through their shared dream of a Frankie-free world.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Congrats on your vicious new acquisition! Super cute! Do you still have that cute cat too? I liked those pics with him and Moses. Amazing menagerie!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Enelrahc posted:

Congrats on your vicious new acquisition! Super cute! Do you still have that cute cat too? I liked those pics with him and Moses. Amazing menagerie!

I am still trying to find someone to take that idiot cat but no one wants the idiot cat and I wish someone would come take the idiot cat. I feed him but he doesn't really come inside unless its cold or raining.

I just found what was initially posted about her on facebook:

quote:

*URGENT* OWNER-SURRENDER=1st ON KILL LIST
Available for Adoption Immediately
UPDATE, Monday Feb. 25: "If anyone wants to get her,THEY ONLY HAVE UNTIL NOON TOMORROW. Sounds like she has not had much socialization. Previous owner's fault: Keep reading-----from Animal Control:

"Dog # 88 - 5 Yr old - pitt - named Mozil
We have had some issues with her. When she was brought in, the owner had to put her in the run--- she would not let anyone here touch her. She was placed in run 34 by her owner, but within the hour she was out of the run (had jumped the gate and escaped). When an animal control officer tried to get her with a leash, she went after him---so to capture her we had to tranqalize her. She was then placed in quarantine because this is the only place that has enclosed tops on the runs. We put out an 'SOS' to the rescues----one came to look at her, but she was too aggressive, so they passed on her. We are now to the point that she is going to have to be put down because of the aggression to people, we have run out of all our options. She has been taken off line in preparation of being pts if you know of anything else please let us know by noon 2/26/13 . We have had her since 2/16/13. You are more than welcome to come see her and make your own evaluation on her. We only have six quarantine runs and we need that space for incoming biting dogs."

NOTE: "Because this dog is able to jump the gate, she is being kept in the back (quarantine area, out of public viewing--- non jump-able gates back there)...These types of behaviors can be corrected! This girl is not seen by the public, so she is not getting the chance she deserves. Someone please save her!"

I really want to know how animal control hosed up so bad that they had to tranquilize this dog to catch her in a small room. That whole explanation is just the opposite of everyone's experience with this dog. I also know that had she actually been that much of a problem and/or had really threatened someone, she would have been euthed right then, so something isn't adding up. After they let me in the quarantine room to get her because they all refused to, I was able to get a slip lead on her in like 2 seconds and a single treat and she politely marched outside with me and hopped in my car with ZERO effort and without having met her previously. I'm so curious to know what actually happened with her.

Edit: The rescue ladies were calling her Cinnamon, but thats boring and dumb and we have been calling her Griff. Because...sounds good. Good Griff.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 28, 2013

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Soo movin this from the catlady confession thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post412955630

Oh, she's so pretty, even though the crop makes her look like a gargoyle. :3: A pretty princess gargoyle.

Moses found his ~*soulmate*~.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Superconsndar posted:

OMG :3: What a pretty little thing! And WTF about having to tranquilize her and all that poo poo - sounds like somebody just didn't know how to handle a fearful dog. :/ Or any dog, probably. At a local rescue, who are great for the most part, they had a wonderful female pit (GORGEOUS chocolate and white, stunning) and they were labeling her as "un-adoptable" because she was hyper and not animal friendly. Literally, when I asked them why she wasn't up for adoption yet they said "she's just hyper - she jumps up and is leash-reactive" etc etc. And they told me that the sweetest little black and white pittie I played with had resource guarding issues and not to touch his toys - he kept bringing me his ball and placing it in my lap, and I held off on touching the toys like they said for a while, but I could see after just a few minutes that he had no resource guarding issues. He was very into playing and made a lot of noise when he played, which I think they confused for some form of aggression. :downs: He let me pick his toys up, take them out of his mouth, etc with no issues whatsoever. People are dumb about dog behavior sometimes.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Ok, Moses and his new girlfriend ARE pretty adorable. :3:

I've never understood how they can do behavior evaluations in shelters anyway. They're so stressful that it's a shock any animal is calm and composed in that environment.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Yay Super for giving the girl a chance! The pitties look adorable together :3:

Robo Kitty posted:

I've never understood how they can do behavior evaluations in shelters anyway. They're so stressful that it's a shock any animal is calm and composed in that environment.
I've wondered about the same thing. I'm pretty sure none of my dogs would pass any evaluations in that situation (except maybe Pi, who just shuts down when too many stressful things happen. That is not a good thing, but hey he doesn't seem aggressive!)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

I really want to know how animal control hosed up so bad that they had to tranquilize this dog to catch her in a small room. That whole explanation is just the opposite of everyone's experience with this dog. I also know that had she actually been that much of a problem and/or had really threatened someone, she would have been euthed right then, so something isn't adding up. After they let me in the quarantine room to get her because they all refused to, I was able to get a slip lead on her in like 2 seconds and a single treat and she politely marched outside with me and hopped in my car with ZERO effort and without having met her previously. I'm so curious to know what actually happened with her.

Edit: The rescue ladies were calling her Cinnamon, but thats boring and dumb and we have been calling her Griff. Because...sounds good. Good Griff.

I said it in the other thread, I'll say it here - you're loving awesome.
Also, loving rights those pictures are adorably cute. Like, amazingly so.
Goddamn I wish I was closer, I would so snap her up, she's amazingly cute. Is she all wiggles and happiness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Super: Griff is an excellent name for your new dog :3:

• Locked thread