Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The -95 corridor from the north end of the Cross-Bronx Expressway all the way about to Richmond, especially on a weekday, is the worst route I've ever driven. Especially the Beltline around DC. You can swing inland on 81? in PA and despite going out of the way I think it gets you further south faster, since you skip all the cities.

There's also a route going through Highway 1? In Delaware that skips a lot of the -95 garbage.

You can take 78 west to Harrisburg and then go south either to DC or Baltimore. How long it takes relative to 95 probably depends on the day, but it's certainly easier on your nerves and you save on all the ridiculous NJ and DE tolls. Still have to go through DC, though, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

clutchpuck posted:

I've had it for a year, this week. Before I leave for Texas, I am going to re-paint the plastics gold.

What is that?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a Buell Ulysses, otherwise known as the best motorcycle in the world.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Ha. Right before you posted that, I'd seen Uly in the questions thread and googled it, only to get...

UD posted:

a young man of about the age of 18 that has sex with women while they are menstruating and leaves behind a sort of crime scene because of the blood
They are very good bikes though, look suited to the kind of riding I do. Might get one of those after I spend two years on a CB500.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's like the Ram SRT-10 of motorcycles... in a good way.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I went out to my car this morning and something was parked in front of it in my space:

I gonna die :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nice bike. Be careful.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

I went out to my car this morning and something was parked in front of it in my space:

150 hp for a first bike? Awesome. Wear loose fitting pants so you don't break your hardon.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Finally got around to taking the MSF last month. This month I got my CX650 road-ready after letting it sit since April of last year. Been riding it to work this week. Pretty fun. It's my first motorcycle.

edit: Need to do something about that ugly seat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Have fun, try to keep it reined in (there is challenge in doing both at once).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

UnkleBoB posted:

Finally got around to taking the MSF last month. This month I got my CX650 road-ready after letting it sit since April of last year. Been riding it to work this week. Pretty fun. It's my first motorcycle.

I think that bike looks fine the way it is, for what it is.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

UnkleBoB posted:

And that finger in front of the lens :haw:

Nice bike, I'm a big fan of the CXes.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

SaNChEzZ posted:

And that finger in front of the lens :haw:

Nice bike, I'm a big fan of the CXes.

Thanks! And yeah, I noticed the finger in the way by the time I got inside but was too lazy.

Here's another picture. I like it quite fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I mistakenly posted my other pic in the chat thread, so here is babbys_first_choke_operation.jpg on my new bike

There were several stalls in between each picture.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Same bike/color and boots :coal::hf::coal:
That 250 looks huge, how tall are you?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

5'4", I'm pretty drat small.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Hey, it's better than looking like a gorilla on a tricycle. Even at 5'10" the bike looks goofy as poo poo under me.
Congrats though! You made a good choice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

5'4", I'm pretty drat small.

I have a friend almost exactly this height, he rides an RC51. Needless to say, it looks hilariously huge for him and mid-corner he looks like a spider monkey crawling around on it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Slavvy posted:

I have a friend almost exactly this height, he rides an RC51. Needless to say, it looks hilariously huge for him and mid-corner he looks like a spider monkey crawling around on it.

Sounds a lot like my buddy on an RC51. Does he also ride like an rear end?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Too bad you didn't start riding/racing at 5. You'd probably be a pro racer by now.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I too have a friend who rides his RC51 like an absolute dong all the time. But in a "in danger to nobody but himself" and completely majestic and glorious way. I think I posted pictures of him dragging soft bags on his dad's banana-yellow bandit with bald tires and a one piece track suit on Palomar a while back.

I think he's crashed 5? times now? Just keeps repairing his bike with duct tape and bubble gum and hits the twisties. Ironically every accident he's had has been unavoidable (oil slicks when raining and riding safely and just washing out, people running stop signs and hitting him, etc)

That said, he's one of the best riders I know and extremely fun/safe to group ride with. Godspeed, you crazy bastard.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

n8r posted:

Too bad you didn't start riding/racing at 5. You'd probably be a pro racer by now.

Hey now, cut her some slack, that's when she started looking for a bike!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Cruised on my moto during lunch break.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I don't know if I helmet-buddy'd you before, but there you go.

I'll have to wait another 2-3 months before this snow disappears, though. :cry:

internet inc fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 1, 2013

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Just realized I posted that in the motorcycle thread. Oh well. Use your imagination, it's there somewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I recognize that parking lot :3:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Cruised on my moto during lunch break.

I need a mirrored AGV sticker for my K3 now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I did this today (click for big).

I need cold weather gloves - the bike said it was 5 degrees in the shadows on the freeway. But it was a great ride.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
I'll see your 5 sissy yoo-roh peon degrees and raise you 22 AMERICAN Degrees.

'Murrica. F' you winter.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Speaking of winter, short of heated grips what's a good way of warming finger tips? I have good gauntlets but y finger tips get a bit cold this time of year. Do hand guards help in this aspect?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Speaking of winter, short of heated grips what's a good way of warming finger tips? I have good gauntlets but y finger tips get a bit cold this time of year. Do hand guards help in this aspect?

Heated gloves. I've had heated grips and they really suck for warming finger tips because the second you lift your fingers to cover your levers, your tips freeze.

I am going to try to build my own heated gloves because paying $160 for a good pair seems stupid. A guy on ADVRider did it and it seems like a pretty simple process: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514532

My coworker used "Hippohands" on his Multistrada with heated and loved them. I never tried them - mainly because of how ugly they are - http://www.hippohands.com/HIPPO%20HANDS.htm yet they obviously would work pretty drat well.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Heated gear makes all the difference in the world and a good baklava.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Spiffness posted:

Heated gear makes all the difference in the world and a good baklava.

Mmm. Baklava

You might get a kick out of THIS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm going to blame it on jet lag but really, eat enough of those and you'll be more genetically stout against the cold wind.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FileNotFound posted:

Heated gloves. I've had heated grips and they really suck for warming finger tips because the second you lift your fingers to cover your levers, your tips freeze.

I am going to try to build my own heated gloves because paying $160 for a good pair seems stupid. A guy on ADVRider did it and it seems like a pretty simple process: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514532

My coworker used "Hippohands" on his Multistrada with heated and loved them. I never tried them - mainly because of how ugly they are - http://www.hippohands.com/HIPPO%20HANDS.htm yet they obviously would work pretty drat well.

Those Hippo Hands are fairly ugly, but they do look cozy. I'm not riding in SUPER cold weather, like 35F or so, which makes $160 for heated gloves seem excessive. Maybe a pair of heated liners would be good to go under my gauntlets. And as far as face protection, I have a couple of nice balaclavas; one which is lined for cold days, and a thinner one for just chilly weather, like a spring morning. They definitely make all the difference especially on the neck area.

Edit: I wonder if just a pair of regular glove liners would make the difference for me? I don't ride in snow or up in the mountains during the winter.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 4, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I cannot comment on heated liners but Hippo Hands and equivalent styles are all the best option for any riding you do at basically any temperature under 40. Liners don't insulate as much as you'd be led to believe (think pililng sweatshirts on when it's cold versus a real insulating jacket) nor against the tips of your fingers freezing off and having commuted every day in Fall at around 35-40 degrees before the sun came up via motorcycle I will tell you that it is loving cold and they're the only things that really do the trick. :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Xovaan posted:

I cannot comment on heated liners but Hippo Hands and equivalent styles are all the best option for any riding you do at basically any temperature under 40. Liners don't insulate as much as you'd be led to believe (think pililng sweatshirts on when it's cold versus a real insulating jacket) nor against the tips of your fingers freezing off and having commuted every day in Fall at around 35-40 degrees before the sun came up via motorcycle I will tell you that it is loving cold and they're the only things that really do the trick. :)

I'd say liners give me about an extra 10 degrees' worth of comfort. It was below freezing (about 29 or 30) when I left for work this morning, and sure my hands were cold when I got to work, but they weren't fingertips-fall-off cold. By comparison, it was about 36 or 38 when I rode home last night. I didn't use the liners, and my fingertips were significantly more cold when I got home.

They're not life changing, but I spent less than $20 on 'em.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The handlebar muffs can be pretty inexpensive too. The bonus with them is you get to look like a total nerd.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I rode almost every day this winter (except for when I busted my ankle) in some Bilt "waterproof winter gloves". My commute is only 20 minutes or so, but I rode down to about 25f and was fine. My head was the biggest issue, my Suomy is pretty breezy and even a balaclava didn't do enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Muahahaha. The KLR650 of Doom works again!

Carbs are all cleaned after sitting for six months, added crash bars and an engine guard.

Now back to not riding it for 6 months. :\