Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Xander77 posted:

The Witcher 1 had some excellent soundtrack songs. 2 had decent atmospheric music, but I don't remember anything as good in terms of soundtrack.

Some of the songs aren't from the game though, they were on the inspired-by-the-game album included with the EE, although I agree the first one great music.

There were definitely some great tracks in W2, including the menu theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Goddamn. They're really coming out with information fast and furious. Hopefully they make a good showing at E3 this year.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
I hope they finally make good on their (implicit) promise to make Dandelion a player character.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Leb posted:

I hope they finally make good on their (implicit) promise to make Dandelion a player character.

You get to be him temporarily when you go visit the succubus in 2, don't you?

Has one of my favorite pieces of voice acting from Geralt. "loving idiot actually did it.."

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Spite posted:

You get to be him temporarily when you go visit the succubus in 2, don't you?

Has one of my favorite pieces of voice acting from Geralt. "loving idiot actually did it.."

We want a full "The Bard: Savior of Queens" expansion :colbert:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So I built a new PC lately, it's got a Nvidia 660 ti (something), real advanced card. But few of the textures are loading properly. Even the flat map and sign textures are very pixelated. Other than that, the game runs fine. I googled, but all I got was bumkiss.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nickmeister posted:

So I built a new PC lately, it's got a Nvidia 660 ti (something), real advanced card. But few of the textures are loading properly. Even the flat map and sign textures are very pixelated. Other than that, the game runs fine. I googled, but all I got was bumkiss.

updated to the most recent drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/Drivers

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Xander77 posted:

The Witcher 1 had some excellent soundtrack songs. 2 had decent atmospheric music, but I don't remember anything as good in terms of soundtrack.

I'm currently playing through Witcher 1 and yeah I agree the soundtrack is fantastic. Do you know what song plays in the Lakeside Fields? That whole area is awesome and creepy even during the day and the music is perfect.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I'm currently playing through Witcher 1 and yeah I agree the soundtrack is fantastic. Do you know what song plays in the Lakeside Fields? That whole area is awesome and creepy even during the day and the music is perfect.

I think it's "amb_outdoor_dng2.ogg" or "amb_river.ogg" in the witcher 1 install path/music directory.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Yodzilla posted:

The actual soundtrack gives titles, but not where they play. The only obvious one is 'Silver Sword' from the Lady of the Lake quest.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
New information, in German, but Google/Chrome translate yields passable results:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1237801-The-Witcher-3-Previews-Fakten-in-der-%C3%9Cbersicht

The VATS/Save Game Import stuff sounds a little odd, but I think maybe something got lost in translation...

Still, new info!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

nickmeister posted:

Yeah, all I can suggest is updating your drivers. I just got a new PC (i5-3570k, 8gb RAM) a couple weeks back, 660ti too.

Ubersampling disabled but everything else cranked, the game runs at 60fps solid, 1080p. Not an expensive PC, either - they're all semi-budget/midrange components, but that's all you need to max out anything on the market short of Crysis 3, and that's only because there seems to be some bug with Crysis 3's rope rendering that's killing framerates right now.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 28, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

tuluk posted:

I think it's "amb_outdoor_dng2.ogg" or "amb_river.ogg" in the witcher 1 install path/music directory.

Khazar-khum posted:

The actual soundtrack gives titles, but not where they play. The only obvious one is 'Silver Sword' from the Lady of the Lake quest.

Found it. It's amb_vizim_road.ogg, love that track. It's so drat spooky.

And Question about the Witcher 1 quest Her Highness The Striga. So I'm in the crypy and Velerad has locked me down here and...now what? I've spent three days so far resting at both bonfires trying to trigger her to show up at different times of night and nothing is happening. Am I missing something important? All of the walkthroughs say she's just supposed to appear after dark.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 28, 2013

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Quest about the Witcher 1 quest Her Highness The Striga. So I'm in the crypy and Velerad has locked me down here and...now what? I've spent three days so far resting at both bonfires trying to trigger her to show up at different times of night and nothing is happening. Am I missing something important? All of the walkthroughs say she's just supposed to appear after dark.
It worked for me when I rested until midnight and then went to the coffin where you find the journal about how she was cursed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Smart Car posted:

It worked for me when I rested until midnight and then went to the coffin where you find the journal about how she was cursed.

I reloaded a previous save and it turns out (for me at least and who knows what set of stairs I might have walked up backwards in Chapter 1 to propagate this bug) but simply initiating the conversation with Velerad during the day is what broke it for me. No matter what I did in the crypt afterwards if I entered during the day the quest was unable to continue.

:pcgaming:

In general it feels like everything after Chapter IV is starting to shake this game apart. I mean the whole thing feels like it was built on an engine that is stressed to its breaking point but Chapter V has been especially janky in general for me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Yodzilla posted:

Found it. It's amb_vizim_road.ogg, love that track. It's so drat spooky.

I dug it up just to see which one is it and I agree, it's a great piece of music. Very memorable, too.

e: it reminded me of this track from Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines; give it a listen, you may like it.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 28, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I was about to post about how Azar Javed is a complete turd and just not a compelling enemy and how I hope The Witcher 2 has a better one and then 40 hours into this game the main plot turns into "Bwa ha ha my horrible monsters are perfection and the next evolution of mankind!!" loving really?? After all of the interesting things in this game they fell back on that bullshit? Ugh.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

That's why I never understand the people who claim TW1 was a better game than TW2. The story, somewhat poorly translated as it was, featured mostly archetypal caricatures twirling their mustaches as they leapt from one bizarre plot point to another.

TW2 has none of those things: it has profoundly human antagonists pursuing understandable objectives with believable motivations. In fact, the main antagonist isn't really, when all is said and done, an antagonist at all. He's had your back more often than not and never desired to cross swords with you. In a medium filled with absolutely awful "villains", he stands head-and-shoulders above the rest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leb posted:

TW2 has none of those things: it has profoundly human antagonists pursuing understandable objectives with believable motivations. In fact, the main antagonist isn't really, when all is said and done, an antagonist at all. He's had your back more often than not and never desired to cross swords with you. In a medium filled with absolutely awful "villains", he stands head-and-shoulders above the rest.

Well, he sure was kind of a dick about some of it, though. :colbert:

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Drifter posted:

Well, he sure was kind of a dick about some of it, though. :colbert:

It's the Witcher universe. Who isn't a jerk at some point or another?

I'm only wondering how big of a role he's going to have in the next game, what with the option to do him in and all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp finally beat The Witcher after starting it over a year ago. Ending cinematic was badass as hell and I can't wait to play Witcher 2. And even though I enjoyed this game boy do I have no desire to play it ever again. For everything good about it there seemed to be something gameplay related that you just sort of had to deal with. The Epilogue was mostly terrible too.

And am I alone in thinking the difficulty was skewed really hard towards the beginning? I played on the default level and it felt like up through Chapter II I was getting my rear end kicked but then something flipped and then from III onward I was pretty much invincible save for maybe popping a potion during a boss fight. Kind of strange.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Thats a common complaint about W1 difficulty, and completely true. The Chapter 1 boss is a well known reload annoyance, but the Chapter 2 echinops trophey monster 1 shot stuns you, then kills you with the next shot. It can also move about the entire swamp and track you down. Its such a bad difficulty spike so early on, and unfortunately not the only one that seems out of place.
Chapter IV-V then becomes easy mode

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
CDPR released a bunch of screenshots of Witcher 3, and a little bit of information.

It's my understanding that this is still using the Witcher 2 lighting engine, which means that the game should get to looking even goddamn better :monocle:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

What's curious is that those shots don't look to be using Ubersampling..? Granted, it's somewhat hard to be sure, but it's most noticeable in the lighting..

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I'm glad to see that it looks like they've improved the shadows - no more obvious dithering.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just realized that's a troll Geralt's fighting in two of those stills. I hope we have the option to befriend him rather than fight him. Troll bros are the best bros. :downs:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chickenwalker posted:

Just realized that's a troll Geralt's fighting in two of those stills. I hope we have the option to befriend him rather than fight him. Troll bros are the best bros. :downs:

It's an ice giant, not a troll.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It's an ice giant, not a troll.

It's okay to fight him then, ice giants are dicks.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I don't care if nothing else carries over in a save import from W2, as long as the sequel adequately recognizes your efforts in befriending and aiding the three trolls found in W2, Witcher 3 will be GOTY every year as far as I am concerned.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

I don't care if nothing else carries over in a save import from W2, as long as the sequel adequately recognizes your efforts in befriending and aiding the three trolls found in W2, Witcher 3 will be GOTY every year as far as I am concerned.

Tattoo import or bust.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SpRahl posted:

Tattoo import or bust.

Equipment too :colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is....is that the nose from the harpy guy?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Okay, so we're all in agreement that Witcher 3 should just forget about the Wild Hunt garbage and instead be about Geralt and his troupe of tattooed troll fashionistas, yes?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought thats what is was going to be about :confused:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mickey McKey posted:

Yes. Yes it is. The stats on it aint too great though

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mickey McKey posted:

Never took an in-depth look at your inventory after that quest, did ya?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I'm about halfway (I think) through Act 2 in The Witcher 2, and I have been a bomb wielding witcher and it is a lot of fun. I saw that there was a piece of armor you could get that increases bomb damage called Thyssen's Armor from the With Flickering Heart quest...well I got the armor but the tool tip for the armor says nothing about increasing bomb damage. Was this removed from the game in a patch?

Also, I am supposed to be able to buy Dragon Scale armor off of a vendor in Vergen, but all I see is Draug Armor.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The augmented bomb damage should be on it, at least according to the wiki. However, I found a discussion from 2011 where people said the bomb bonus didn't work for them even then so maybe they removed it altogether later on? :shrug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PyPy posted:

Also, I am supposed to be able to buy Dragon Scale armor off of a vendor in Vergen, but all I see is Draug Armor.
Are you looking for a diagram? The Draug Armor is a diagram, but the Dragon Scale Armor is only available already made. The elf vendor should have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

RPS has an interview with two of W3's devs. Stuff about how they're designing the story around the open world, reactivity to past actions and additions to the combat system. Of note:

Jakub Rokosz posted:

We don’t have multiple colors of endings in our game [laughs].
:v:

• Locked thread