Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Ah yes, the "make your book intentionally lovely and boring so that it is a relief when you finally break the Groundhog Day-esque cycle and can finally loving move on" method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Malazan has a very rich world, with a ridiculous amount of thought and effort put into it's history and cultures. It's magic system is interesting with it's own history behind it give it's nature.
I'm sorry but that last sentence just drove me crazy. Its

quote:

It is magic system is interesting with it is own history behind it give it is nature.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I have to throw my voice in whenever possible that I find the First Law Trilogy really terrible and a waste of time to read.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

systran posted:

I have to throw my voice in whenever possible that I find the First Law Trilogy really terrible and a waste of time to read.
e. for not shitpost

Why do you think so?

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2013

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The First Law trilogy is good, but Abercrombie doesn't come into his own until the follow up books. Best Served Cold and the Heroes are both fantastic, and Red Country is pretty good.

I don't think you'll find a single fantasy series that everyone will agree is good. The closest would have been Song of Ice and Fire pre-A Feast for Crows.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I posted a longer list of reasons in the thread for Abercrombie... I don't remember what page it was on so I can't c/p it. After I posted it, I had a few people concede a few points to me but basically tell me they like it so I should just stop arguing about it.

I will admit that while I was reading it I felt pretty into it and I found it quite entertaining. However, further in I read, the more sense I had of "Does he really know where he is going with this at all?" Especially when I had started the third book and nothing was really resolving or being explained at all I began to feel that the whole trilogy felt mostly like a book version of a video game or anime. It even had "boss battles" that served no real plot point. Think about the big monster they run into while underground. The most egregious example of this was the Tattooed guy they built up over three books and whose entire purpose was to just fight once in an anti-climactic battle.

Many of the characters felt like paper thin parodies of real characters; the nobles and arguing generals being the best examples. You can do characters as parodies if you do it well, but Abercrombie did not do it well. He basically had unrealistic characters running around like NPC's in a somewhat real world.

The pacing was in general extremely off and made no sense. If you really enjoyed the extremely long battles, which were admittedly pretty well done even if super long battles are not your thing, I can see how that would allow you to look past the other problems that I found with the books. If you didn't care for the extremely long battles and if Logan going into a rage and killing a bunch of poo poo over and over didn't do anything for you, you were left kind of scratching your head at why Abercrombie seemed to hint at some really interesting world-building and not follow through on it at all.

Think over how the plot developed and the completely irrelevant fetch quest they went on. Think about the build up of the final villain who never even shows up, he just sends in a bunch of ridiculous ghost armies . Think about how poorly done and rushed the final battle was compared to some of the better battles such as the siege or the one in the woods. I've heard that A Dish Best Served Cold goes into more detail about Eaters, but seriously how did he do so little to flesh them out in the space of three entire books?

To bring it back to Rothfuss, I ended up giving up on Rothfuss' series in the middle of the second book and I finished the First Law Trilogy (but didn't go beyond that). I had a really good time reading the first Rothfuss book and have much better memories of that book even though I haven't felt like finishing the series. There were some really nice scenes and he does a great job creating tension and making you care about the main character without non-stop fighting scenes or gruff, likeable Viking tropes. Rothfuss makes a lot of other mistakes that ultimately made me not want to finish, but I still think he's doing a better job than Abercrombie did in his trilogy.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
i really do think you guys would enjoy Scott Lynch.
just sayin

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

systran posted:

I posted a longer list of reasons in the thread for Abercrombie...
You raise some really cogent points, I went back and read your posts in that thread. I think that what you see as anti-climatic endings are intentional genre subversions, but I wont get into detail since I don't guess this thread wants a debate about an entirely different book series. I also dislike the paper-thin over the top characters like Kroy/Prouder and the others you mention, but thankfully these are almost always auxiliary. And his main characters are just so loving good.

If you like characters with intricate motivations and a narrative that flows naturally from the conflict between that, Abercrombie is a good read. I don't think it's a good idea to skip the trilogy because it has some of his strongest characterization and most interesting characters, and it also sets up the world really well if you want to keep reading in his universe.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Bantaras posted:

i really do think you guys would enjoy Scott Lynch.
just sayin

I haven't read Red Seas Under Red Skies yet, but Lies of Locke Lamora is a loving blast.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Alternate viewpoint:

Malazan has a very rich world, with a ridiculous amount of thought and effort put into it's history and cultures. It's magic system is interesting with it's own history behind it give it's nature. There are a lot of things Erikson doesn't go into with it, but it's only a problem if you're the kind of person that has to know absolutely every minute detail about everything and can't stand not knowing. I enjoy it, personally. His character arcs are superb and legitimately the best I've seen in the genre, and the series as a whole offers a lot of emotional impact on a consistent basis. Erikson does get wordy and loves his philosophy, but I never found it to be a detracting factor because reading through it was always made worth it by the end of each book.

The above complaint about ~DBZ Power levels~ is stupid. Erikson takes a mythological perspective on some characters, yes. It's nothing that wouldn't be out of place in the various mythologies of the world, and they were his clear influence.

There's a middle ground. I mostly agree with the world-building aspect, but Erikson's characterization is pretty bad and his story is, at times, rambling and incoherent. A few of Erikson's characters are interesting, but most of his cast is bland. He gives a name to every single mook, and most of those names are terrible and the characters are uninteresting. Erikson falls into telling and not showing; why are certain characters like Whiskeyjack or Rake a big deal? Well, because Erikson says so. They never really do anything 'on-screen' to suggest that they should be considered interesting. Erikson would have benefited greatly from an editor who would have been willing to just say no to entire chunks of the books, many of which go nowhere.

I still like Malazan, though. Its scope is unmatched in modern fantasy.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

There's a middle ground. I mostly agree with the world-building aspect, but Erikson's characterization is pretty bad and his story is, at times, rambling and incoherent. A few of Erikson's characters are interesting, but most of his cast is bland. He gives a name to every single mook, and most of those names are terrible and the characters are uninteresting. Erikson falls into telling and not showing; why are certain characters like Whiskeyjack or Rake a big deal? Well, because Erikson says so. They never really do anything 'on-screen' to suggest that they should be considered interesting. Erikson would have benefited greatly from an editor who would have been willing to just say no to entire chunks of the books, many of which go nowhere.

I still like Malazan, though. Its scope is unmatched in modern fantasy.

Whiskeyjack is a big deal because he used to be a Fist in the Malazan army and was a high up devotee of Hood before the 'coup' and shakeup in the Empire? That all becomes clear by the end of the series.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Danhenge posted:

Whiskeyjack is a big deal because he used to be a Fist in the Malazan army and was a high up devotee of Hood before the 'coup' and shakeup in the Empire? That all becomes clear by the end of the series.

None of that is on-screen, though. We're told this character is a big deal, we never see him do anything.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

None of that is on-screen, though. We're told this character is a big deal, we never see him do anything.

Ultimately if you have to have every detail explained to you then I suppose Malazan is not for you. I'd argue that, in fact, what makes Malazan better written than most fantasy is that it treats you like an adult as opposed to a child that has to be spoon fed every last detail.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Danhenge posted:

Ultimately if you have to have every detail explained to you then I suppose Malazan is not for you. I'd argue that, in fact, what makes Malazan better written than most fantasy is that it treats you like an adult as opposed to a child that has to be spoon fed every last detail.

I read the first book all the way through, had no loving idea what I had just read, and put the series down. Then, a few years later, I went back and thought "well, maybe it will make sense the second time through!", and read it again. Nope. I thought at that point, "this series comes so well recommended by so many people, it must be me. Maybe if I read the second book, it'll start to make sense!", so I did. At the end of the second book, I had no loving clue what happened in either book, so I gave up.

I don't mind not having every single detail explained to me in a big expository infodump, but I do mind having nothing explained to me at all and leaving me to try to untangle a bunch of made-up words, locations, races, and historical figures.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
100% honest moment here: at no point in reading the Malazan books did I feel particularly confused and any time anyone says they were confused I genuinely assume they're just stupid or such a slow reader that they forget facts that came before that make everything clear. Mostly that they're stupid. That said it's fine just to not like them. I feel like nerds have always got to have a reason not to like something, otherwise it's "not logical" so they reach for whatever's nearest as opposed to just shrugging and saying "not for me."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Danhenge posted:

I've avoided any wiki info about Malazan while I'm reading the series because I know I'm likely to spoil something in future books. The time-line of the ten books jumps around a bit. I think book 5/6 take place 10,000 years before 1-4, and 7 is some other time, while 8,9,10 continue the 'present day' plot progression. There is a lot of minor references to major events and mythos that makes no sense at first but pays off later.

Back to Rothfuss, I'm really hoping that's the case with the first 2 books. All the dropped hints about the mystical orders, faerie magic, king-killing etc. are set-up for a wonderfully rich and complex conclusion to the story.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
edit: weird nevermind, the thread didnt' refresh right and I responded to something that'd already been clarified.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 25, 2013

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Danhenge posted:

I've read all, what, 16 books in the universe published so far and have enjoyed most of them. That said, there's nothing particularly adult about Malazan as opposed to any other fantasy series, it's just less tightly edited than most others and it can definitely be confusing. Erikson's stupendously awful naming conventions don't help, either. But being shown and not told how important certain characters occurs even in Forge of Darkness: I expected to find out why Captain Emo Anomander Rake is so cool and important like we're told he is throughout Book of the Fallen, only to discover in the first few pages that people in his original time period consider him exactly as cool and important as later people do despite no particular reason that should be the case. It's like Erikson's writing about his favorite D&D character and just expects that everyone else understands why he's so cool... which is pretty much exactly what it is, so that's not surprising.

Speaking of Rothfuss, though, is there any chance of the third book being completed?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of Rothfuss, though, is there any chance of the third book being completed?
I don't see why not. The second book took 4 years, and it's only been 2 years since then. I don't think we have any reason to doubt that he'll get it done, but at the same time we have no reason to believe its completion is imminent.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Like a mini-GRRM, then.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
He's waaaay younger and not incredibly fat so the chances of him dropping dead suddenly are way lower. GRRM could die suddenly if force to traverse too many stairs in an emergency.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I thought the 2nd and 3rd books were written in tandem and it was simple publishing economics that is holding it up?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I think, like book two, he's going nuts with editing, to the point where he's almost rewriting the prose of the whole book.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I think, like book two, he's going nuts with editing, to the point where he's almost rewriting the prose of the whole book.

I'd assume this is the case as last week he posted a photo of the manuscript for Doors of Stone

https://plus.google.com/106388983874370865380/posts

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

ControlledBurn posted:

I'd assume this is the case as last week he posted a photo of the manuscript for Doors of Stone

Whoah-there. Before you get your hopes up when you try to read it, the top page of the manuscript is just a letter to his reading team (I think). What a cock tease.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Im pretty unfamiliar with the book writing process so here's a dumb question: How large are reading teams for something like this, and what are they made up of? Friends and family? Other authors? Guinea pigs at the publisher?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

On his blog Patrick Rothfuss talks about his "Beta Readers" occasionally, but I imagine that the publisher also has an editing team that does the same thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also important to note that there have been some delays due to family matters (IIRC he mentioned one of his relatives had cancer).

It's a rather understandable reason for a delay, especially in comparison to say, being really sad that your favorite football team lost a game.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ControlledBurn posted:

Nice, the post right before that was a youtube video of him about "10 tips for fantastic sex" specifically, writing fantastic sex.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Well to be fair he was only the host of the show, which had 3 guests, so maybe he was the cautionary tale for what happens when you cram about 6 times as much sex into your book as it needs.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Srice posted:

Also important to note that there have been some delays due to family matters (IIRC he mentioned one of his relatives had cancer).

It's a rather understandable reason for a delay, especially in comparison to say, being really sad that your favorite football team lost a game.

The thing with Rothfuss was that part of his original pitch was that the series was already written so there wouldn't be any lengthy delays between books. I certainly don't disagree that having one parent pass away and the other go through a cancer recurrence would gently caress anyone up, but it shouldn't have had much effect on the publication schedule outside of minor delays to any signing tours that were being planned. Instead he decided to turn that into a complete rewrite of the second and third books, causing massive delays.

And really, that's fine. It's his work and apparently his publisher doesn't mind too much. As a fan of epic fantasy, I kind of expect to wait years between books in a series, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't disappointed with the whole thing. The Name of the Wind was a damned fine book and believing I'd see the end of the series within a few years was pretty awesome at the time.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
People would be more patient if Wise Man's Fear had been something more than a bunch of random adventures and sex scenes designed to pad out Kvothe's resume.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This whole 3-7 years for each book release is horseshit. At some point, diminishing returns mean you're either adding in completely new stuff to the book or constantly rewriting the same scene over and over for dramatic perspective. I blame GRRM for making people think it's acceptable or reasonable for a 700-800 page novel to take more then a year or 2 to write.

There are many great authors that do the same is a year or less. Joe Ambercrombie, Glen Cook, Steve Erickson all wrote their epic series at a rate of about 1 book a year. It must be the convention circuit mentality, where these authors travel all over meeting and greeting like celebrities and not having to write because they get appearance fees and advances from their editors. GRRM hit it massively big with the GoT HBO show and has 6 years till they'll need a new book to continue and 8-10 for him to finish the entire series to stay ahead of the TV show, but he should be the exception and not the rule new writers aspire to.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Basically more authors should do the Sanderson method where they take breaks from writing the big books to write smaller books on airplane rides and things. As long as the quality doesn't drop off that is.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I blame Jordan for starting that trend. Then again, I guess he paid the ultimate price for it. :(

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm ok with an author taking as long a they need to take to finish a book. There's enough out there to read to keep me entertained in the interim.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pentyne posted:

I blame GRRM for making people think it's acceptable or reasonable for a 700-800 page novel to take more then a year or 2 to write.

Not everyone writes at the same speed, and to paraphrase Neil Gaiman, authors don't exist solely to funnel you the content you want at the rate you want it. If someone wants to take 7 years to write a novel, let them. It's their book, not yours.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

jivjov posted:

Not everyone writes at the same speed, and to paraphrase Neil Gaiman, authors don't exist solely to funnel you the content you want at the rate you want it. If someone wants to take 7 years to write a novel, let them. It's their book, not yours.
Yeah I mean no poo poo, but it's not unreasonable to be impatient about something you're looking forward to.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

jivjov posted:

Fans don't exist solely to lavish endlessly praise on authors. If someone wants to call a previously productive author slow, let them. It's their opinion and they're entitled to it.

Seriously though, while I would love it if every author had the demonic work ethic of Sanderson, quality is more important than quantity. The last 3 books in the Dark Tower series pretty clearly showed what can happen if a series' conclusion is rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I personally feel that there's a bit of a difference between expressing frustration at a delay or particularly long wait, and more or less calling out a particular author for being "too slow".

• Locked thread