Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Speaking of "the man", James Wan is definitely the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Bob Loblaw posted:

Talking about anthology television reminded me of "Night Vision", a horror anthology series that premiered in 2001, hosted by Black Flag singer Henry Rollins. Most of the stories were okay, but 'A View Through a Window' is by far one of the best things I have seen, enough that I had to track down the very limited print run of the book that it came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKKJx1frkY

Thanks for sharing this. I missed out on this series during its original run (odd, since I'm a Henry Rollins fan).

I really enjoyed this episode.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Anyone considering seeing The ABCs of Death should steer clear. It's absolute garbage. There are about three or four halfway decent entries, but the rest all range from pretty bad to downright unwatchable. The movie came to my attention because of Ti West's segment, which turned out to be the single worst one of the 26. A solid premise wasted by mostly abysmal entries.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AlexF posted:

It's horror all right but more because of the excessive gore on display. Very funny as well if you're into dark humor. Saw it at a festival and the crowd (and I) really liked it.

We gave it a standing ovation here in Toronto. I loved it, but it's really not in any way scary in a traditional sense.

For new stuff, I thought Aftershock was pretty good and should be seeing release sometime this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1780762/

No One Lives is mostly dumb but is worth it for one absolutely ridiculous, hilariously surreal scene.

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/noonelives

Hellbenders is a riot and is now one of my favourite Clancy Brown roles. Bubbles from The Wire is also pretty good here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1865393/
e: wait, maybe this already got released? I didn't see anything about it.

Come Out And Play was really dumb and was made by a director (Makinov) who wears a mask and releases bizarre, pretentious manifestos on youtube but maybe you guys would like it more than me.

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/childsplay

I mean listen to this poo poo

quote:

Makinov was born in Belarus. The elusive director refuses to disclose his first and last name. He began his career as a focus puller in Russia, and later travelled to Mexico to study and shoot two documentary films on Huichol shamanism. After what he describes as a near-death experience, he forged a new identity, referring to himself as Makinov. He believes that by punishing the ego through anonymity, he can command the wisdom of being one with nothing. Come Out And Play (12) is his latest feature film.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 27, 2013

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Does anyone remember a movie about a dude locking up his junkie friend in a cabin to get him to kick but poo poo goes wrong? It was from like last year and I can't find reference to it anywhere and vague googling is no help. Asking here because I'm pretty sure was the only place I saw it mentioned.here

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

acephalousuniverse posted:

Does anyone remember a movie about a dude locking up his junkie friend in a cabin to get him to kick but poo poo goes wrong? It was from like last year and I can't find reference to it anywhere and vague googling is no help. Asking here because I'm pretty sure was the only place I saw it mentioned.here

It's called Resolution. One of my absolute favourites from last year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977895/

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Undead Unicorn posted:

Hey through a friend I got tickets to a screening of Repo the Genetic Opera and The Devil’s Carnival with the Director and Writer being there for a Q&A. I'm curious because it'd be a pain to actually get to the theater they're screening at, are they any good? I've heard mixed things about Repo.

I haven't seen The Devil's Carnival but Repo! was a poo poo show. Expect the audience to sing along to every song, scream pre-rehearsed call-back lines like they do at Rocky Horror, and if they're anything like the audience in my city, will get up en masse and do the Time Warp multiple times throughout because they have all apparently forgotten which movie they are seeing. You should probably know going in that it's not really a movie about organ harvesting, it's a movie about a sad tween girl who sings about her daddy issues.

Bill Moseley and Paris Hilton were the only parts that I enjoyed overall, mostly because Paris is simply parodying herself.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Repo was a transparently manufactured attempt at making a 'modern' Rocky Horror and it sucks so hard. Your theatre experience sounds a lot like mine, demo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

demozthenes posted:

. You should probably know going in that it's not really a movie about organ harvesting, it's a movie about a sad tween girl who sings about her daddy issues.

Yes you are correct, the movie is about its characters and not the macguffin. What a world! If you're going to rip on the movie there are a lot of ways to go but this really isn't one.

e: The movie is probably a 3.5-4 out of 10. If you can go in inebriated maybe you can get that up to a 5? If you're in a really enthusiastic crowd (I almost can't believe one exists for this movie) maybe as high as a 6?

weekly font fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 27, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

flashy_mcflash posted:

Repo was a transparently manufactured attempt at making a 'modern' Rocky Horror and it sucks so hard. Your theatre experience sounds a lot like mine, demo.

Yeah. Even Shock Treatment has good songs, though, what's the point if your songs are zero effort?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, I thought Repo was fun, but that's mostly because I sometimes have the taste in music of a 90s teenager and fanboy-squealed at the fact that Nivek Ogre plays an insane, flamboyant serial killer who wears people's faces. Also, the fact that Yoshiki Hayashi of X Japan, another band I love in spite of myself, composed the backing instrumentals for most of the music.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

schwenz posted:

This teaser for James Wan's The Conjuring looks pretty tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejMMn0t58Lc

Say what you will about Insidious, but the thing I love about Wan is that he is willing to make his ghosts visible and still maintain their menace/scariness. I like his ghosts. Plus he made Dead Silence, which owned.

Apparently this is based on something (?) out of the files of Ed and Lorraine Warren, who investigated the original Amityville Horror. They are going to be characters in this film, and of course played by fairly attractive Hollywood types despite being stodgy old folks for apparently ever. Here's their website which, fair warning if you're browsing without headphones, has the Amityville Horror theme queued up to play automatically in the background.

edit:\/\/ If they keep the Warrens' general MO, it'll be basically Insidious. Ie, there are one or more ghosts haunting a particular place, being controlled by a separate demonic entity which must be exorcised in order to free the ghosts. I'm picking through some of my old books/the internet now trying to see if I can find whatever case the film is based on, and it looks like the family didn't go public until 2011 with this piece of work.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 28, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Conjuring trailer did look pretty good but I'm worried it's going to fall into the same ending of all recent ghost movies. The ghost just wants a hug and the family was never in danger. In fact now the family is bonded closer than ever thanks to their experience in putting the ghost to rest.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

demozthenes posted:

I haven't seen The Devil's Carnival but Repo! was a poo poo show.

I enjoyed Devil's Carnival, but the best song wasn't even in the movie and was just tacked onto the credits because they couldn't get it to fit the storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYIioYDI2Iw

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Volume posted:

The Conjuring trailer did look pretty good but I'm worried it's going to fall into the same ending of all recent ghost movies. The ghost just wants a hug and the family was never in danger. In fact now the family is bonded closer than ever thanks to their experience in putting the ghost to rest.

Also the story behind the seminal horror classic, Ghost Dad.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The Last Stand is the best action movie of 2013 until Fast 6 comes out. Then it's tied.

Are there any good-looking horror films coming out this year? All I know of is S-VHS and Lords of Salem, and I'm excited for both.

Isn't the Evil Dead remake this year?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want more movies with ghosts wanting hugs. Huuuuuuuuugs!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I know I've said this in the thread before, but I'd like to see more straight-up evil ghost movies. I really don't like this whole "Well, there's a demon or demonic influence that's making them do this" or "The ghost is actually a demon" because that's a friggin' cop-out. Say what you will about The Woman in Black but it was nice to get a ghost who was just a stone-cold hateful former human being who wanted to wreck poo poo and couldn't be placated.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You would see more of that if ghost movies weren't so Judeo-Christian.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I know I've said this in the thread before, but I'd like to see more straight-up evil ghost movies. I really don't like this whole "Well, there's a demon or demonic influence that's making them do this" or "The ghost is actually a demon" because that's a friggin' cop-out. Say what you will about The Woman in Black but it was nice to get a ghost who was just a stone-cold hateful former human being who wanted to wreck poo poo and couldn't be placated.

I avoided that movie because it looked pretty bad and got bad reviews if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to give it a watch now because, like you, I just want to see straight up evil ghosts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

penismightier posted:

It is genuinely amazing how well Are You Afraid of the Dark has aged.

I will swear by this series until I die, love it like a mother fucker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Volume posted:

I avoided that movie because it looked pretty bad and got bad reviews if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to give it a watch now because, like you, I just want to see straight up evil ghosts.

The BBC TV version is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQ5sFNUg9M

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

priznat posted:

I want more movies with ghosts wanting hugs. Huuuuuuuuugs!

That's all ghosts really want, anyways.

Hugs. Tons of hugs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So out of curiosity and a sudden inexplicable craving -- are there any horror-musicals that aren't terrible?

Of course as soon as I typed that I immediately remembered that Little Shop of Horrors is a thing, so let's append "recent" to that question.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So out of curiosity and a sudden inexplicable craving -- are there any horror-musicals that aren't terrible?

Of course as soon as I typed that I immediately remembered that Little Shop of Horrors is a thing, so let's append "recent" to that question.

I know you're appending it to "recent," but regardless, Rocky Horror Picture Show.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I noticed something very odd in a few horror movies I've watched lately, and I'm wondering if there is any significance behind it or I'm just reading too much into things.

I watched Lovely Molly, The Pact, Absentia and one more which I can't remember the name of. Each of these movies has a female drug addict as a central character, and every single one of them is shown relapsing and using drugs again or portrayed in a very negative light in regards to their addiction.

Now, drug users have been around in horror movies forever. But it's normally been the lovable goofy stoner who is portrayed as harmless and clueless. Cabin in the Woods of course subverts this by having the stoner be the only one that sees what the hell is going on. But in the movies I've mentioned, the portrayal is much, much different. All of them have female drug users who are shown giving in to temptation again. They are all relatively recent movies too, and I'm wondering why no recent horror movie that I've seen has shown a hardcore male drug user relapsing, or even really a male addict period.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it gave off a subtle feeling of misogny, and I'm pretty much the last person to comment on something like that.

Although not in the same genre, Flight serves as an interesting counter point of how a male addict is portrayed.

I'd like to hear someone else's thoughts on this, especially SMG if you're reading this.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Ghost Story
Dead Silence
House on Haunted Hill
The Frighteners
The Legend of Hell House

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Evil Dead the Musical is pretty great, but it's just a stage-show and will always be, as far as I'm aware.

Still great, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Forbidden Zone.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

schwenz posted:

Ghost Story
Dead Silence
House on Haunted Hill
The Frighteners
The Legend of Hell House

The only one of these I haven't seen is Dead Silence. I don't remember it being received very well at the time of release, but I've caught a few mentions of it in this thread. Is it actually worth watching? (I mean, beyond the tantalizing possibilities of flat-out evil ghosts.)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I liked The Happiness of the Katakuris a lot. I don't remember the songs being particularly amazing, but it's a funny and unique movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The only one of these I haven't seen is Dead Silence. I don't remember it being received very well at the time of release, but I've caught a few mentions of it in this thread. Is it actually worth watching? (I mean, beyond the tantalizing possibilities of flat-out evil ghosts.)

Yeah, and the bonus is that it's by the guy who started the discussion in the first place: James Wan.

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009
Any Paranormal Activity fans in the house?

I watched all 4 recently and I could do with some help understanding the storyline.

Spoilers for all 4 films:

In PA3 we find out a group of witches have made a deal with a demon, who is called Toby. I'm not sure what they're getting, but in exchange they offer the first born male and marry Kristi to the demon?

Toby comes calling in PA2 as Hunter is the first born male, but the housekeeper knows what's going on and the family transfer Toby to Katie.

PA1 is Toby being pissed off and getting enough strength to possess Katie. Demon Katie goes to get Hunter and kills everyone in her way.

In PA4 we find out that Demon Katie gave up Hunter for adoption. I wasn't sure why at first but I think it's got something to do with Hunter/Wyatt needing to be ready or prepared, I'm not sure what for. I'm also not sure who Robbie was. Another demon or possessed kid? It also seems like Toby can leave Katie and do his normal things, but Katie either stays under his control or he possesses her again?

Is this pretty much correct? Anyone got any answers to my questions?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I'm not a big fan of horror that puts a lot of stock in inanimate objects (Ventriloquist Dummy) and I rented it expecting it to be good for a laugh.

But it's surprisingly good. The ghost is awesome. It's pretty balls to the wall throughout.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
House on Haunted Hill is pretty great, too. The ghost effects are creepy as hell, and Geoffrey Rush becoming Vincent Price is amazing. There's also Thir13en Ghosts, which is less good, but still has some cool ghost designs.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Coffee And Pie posted:

House on Haunted Hill is pretty great, too. The ghost effects are creepy as hell, and Geoffrey Rush becoming Vincent Price is amazing. There's also Thir13en Ghosts, which is less good, but still has some cool ghost designs.

Yeah there were a few ghost remakes around that time and the order definitely goes House on Haunted Hill > Thirteen Ghosts > > > The Haunting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like how all you see in that trailer for "The Conjuring" is a pair of hands clapping and yet it was pretty freaky (to me, anyway :shobon:). Hope it's good, I like those type of movies with the paranormal investigators.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's called Resolution. One of my absolute favourites from last year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977895/

Yes, thanks dude!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

This kind of reminds me of a question I have about The Ring. I don't think the answer will be different in the American versus Japanese version, but if it is I guess I'll take both answers.

I understand that Samara was born with some sort of telepathy/psychic ability, but was she evil to the extent that she became once she was dead? I know her mother feared her, but I can't remember if she actually did anything to justify that fear. The American version I remember focused pretty heavily on her being so angry because of how she died, but I don't know if in the flashback it makes it clear that she was always that way. I bring it up because The Ring is the first movie ghost where I remember the twist being "she's just lashing out because of the horrible thing that was done to her, its not her fault!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

This kind of reminds me of a question I have about The Ring. I don't think the answer will be different in the American versus Japanese version, but if it is I guess I'll take both answers.

I understand that Samara was born with some sort of telepathy/psychic ability, but was she evil to the extent that she became once she was dead?

she never sleeps