Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Zohn posted:

Sethrow and Jah on WTF is already tied with Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot on Idle Thumbs as my most favorite podcast mashup episode.

Holy poo poo when were they on Idle Thumbs?

edit: of course new page. Sorry it's off topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, those chicken and waffles chips are a trip. They're not terrible, but like, I'd never want to eat a bowl of them.

I wish there were more episodes where they sampled snacks while on the show. That one episode where they drank Cocaine and ate Doritos was hilarious.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I asked Marc Maron about the upcoming ep, hahaha, I knew it

https://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/305417209239445504

I don't listen to WTF or really know that much about Maron, is there any way you could contextualize this?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Maron has a younger girlfriend who is a huge UYD fan who it sounds like made this all happen.

Maron has generated some good interviews with comedians, but in general comes off as bitter towards anyone who has success and didn't spend twenty years slugging it out in comedy clubs. Also, he tends to turn interviews around to himself, especially to focus on issues around his alchoholism/cocaine use. If he is able to get seth to open up about addiction, it might be pretty sweet but most of us expect it will be pretty tame.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer

Drewsky posted:

Holy poo poo when were they on Idle Thumbs?

Oops, turns out I conflated inside my head the times Jeff Green was on Giant Bombcast with the time Shawn Elliot was on Idle Thumbs. Sorry to have gotten your hopes up, both at once would have been awesome.

So I guess UYD on WTF has moved into my top spot for podcast mashups!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Cervixalot posted:

Maron has a younger girlfriend who is a huge UYD fan who it sounds like made this all happen.

Maron has generated some good interviews with comedians, but in general comes off as bitter towards anyone who has success and didn't spend twenty years slugging it out in comedy clubs. Also, he tends to turn interviews around to himself, especially to focus on issues around his alchoholism/cocaine use. If he is able to get seth to open up about addiction, it might be pretty sweet but most of us expect it will be pretty tame.

Yeah, I can't remember which one specifically, but on the intro to an ep of WTF, Marc Maron talked about meeting Jonathan. It might have been in the context of that Podcast festival they had back in october. Marc has a habit of acting kind of above it all, which is equally endearing and aggravating depending on the context and how much you know about Marc. Anyway, he was talking about Uhh Yeah Dude, making a point of acting like he wasn't sure that was the name of it but that he'd heard about it from his girlfriend, who listens and played an ep for him. I may have been projecting, but it seemed like he was doing that passive agressive thing he tends to do towards things he doesn't quite understand where he'll drop a seemingly innocuous comment that you can't help but feel was meant to be a jab, but you can't pin on him. I'm excited to see what that kind of steeze is going to summon in Seth. I should just shut up about it till I hear the ep as I may be overhyping it in my brain, but there's potential for the upcoming WTF ep to go in wildly different and fascinating directions, with Marc's relentless pursuit of dirt and pathos and Seth's implacable compulsion to keep his cards close to the vest and intolerance of bullshit.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No one’s getting impeached! Stop talking! … The 60s were like 50 years ago. Stop talking about the loving 60s. You know why we didn’t lose any listeners? Because no one listening is 80 talking about the 60s. Woodstock man, smoke grass and peace and love. Peace and love sucks dude, you hippies. Put on Birkenstocks and get dirty. Get organic farming. Just do it for the people, empower people. Stop empowering people!

Impeach him, he's a jerk with bad policies!

VVV At least last episode he seemed to hint he'll eventually watch Breaking Bad (after calling the pilot wack in an earlier episode) and The Wire.

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 24, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

RustyTrombone posted:

No one’s getting impeached! Stop talking! … The 60s were like 50 years ago. Stop talking about the loving 60s. You know why we didn’t lose any listeners? Because no one listening is 80 talking about the 60s. Woodstock man, smoke grass and peace and love. Peace and love sucks dude, you hippies. Put on Birkenstocks and get dirty. Get organic farming. Just do it for the people, empower people. Stop empowering people!

I loving love Seth.

I feel like it's a pretty common experience to be fervently agreeing with everything he says about such and such being stupid or bullshit or crazy and then suddenly hearing him poo poo on something that you love, like a show or a food or whatever, and suddenly being made to feel bad for liking it because you know that Seth is right.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I feel like it's a pretty common experience to be fervently agreeing with everything he says about such and such being stupid or bullshit or crazy and then suddenly hearing him poo poo on something that you love, like a show or a food or whatever, and suddenly being made to feel bad for liking it because you know that Seth is right.

I'll cop to that. Video games.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

UYD has made me feel worse about eating meat than any documentary or ad campaign that I've ever seen.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Power of Pecota posted:

UYD has made me feel worse about eating meat than any documentary or ad campaign that I've ever seen.

Yeah it worked on me. I'll admit, I was on the fence, but yeah. Basically though, it's just that they talked about it in reasonable ways, without having an agenda about it. Not to hate on something I now subscribe to, but I've never met another veg who wasn't a complete shitbird who only talked about that aspect of their life.

Hearing what you guys have been saying about WTF makes me think that things will be incredibly awkward, regardless if it is good material or not. Should be weird for Seth.

Edit: This is getting crazy! Seeing you four times in one afternoon? Spooky Creepo! So weird that we go to the same bagel place 45-minutes away! My grandmother would probably say it's meant to be...hahahaha....

I just started dipping into Seth's videos. I get exactly what he is going for with those (full panic attack television), and I wish he would put them on YouTube.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 25, 2013

RobTG
Sep 11, 2001

by T. Finninho
What the gently caress is up with Johnathan's audio in the latest episode his microphone is whack and sometimes it sounds as if he is shouting into it but I do not think that is the case because a lot of times the topic at hand is nothing to be shouting at so I think it might be a hardware or editing issues thanks.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
If I had to guess he might be getting too close/far from the mic at times and that's making the levels so inconsistent.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

How he manages to be a musician and yet not figure out how to keep consistent levels on his goddamn podcast is a mystery that will forever be unsolved

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Since this UYD episode of WTF will have two guests instead of the usual one, I doubt that Maron will try to dig too far into their deep dark pasts like he usually does. When he had Charlie Day and Glenn Howerton from Always Sunny on, they just talked about how the show came to be and the deepest it got when talking about their pasts was where they grew up, where they went to school, their theater backgrounds, and their deadhead phases in college. I don't think I've heard any other garage episodes with more than one person but I would assume that that's normally how they go because it's harder to get as intimate when it's two on one rather than one on one.

Obviously Seth is going to be one of those guests that won't give him much even if he does try to pry, so I'm not expecting it to be that kind of an interview either way. I doubt hardcore fans are going to learn anything new about either of them. If it was a one on one with Jonathan though, it would probably be one of the most open and honest WTFs ever.

And of course, Maron will be a passive agressive dick and try to find a way to put them down since he can't cope with the idea of anyone but him having even the slightest amount of success. That should be fun.

God, I hate Marc Maron.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Seth opening up on WTF would be crazy.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

One of the Sun Araw songs from the Hotline Miami OST actually ended up in the outro of Episode 223, while Jah reads some new age business.

Sun Araw is basically the official soundtrack for drugs, and it's awesome.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

dvorak posted:

One of the Sun Araw songs from the Hotline Miami OST actually ended up in the outro of Episode 223, while Jah reads some new age business.

Sun Araw is basically the official soundtrack for drugs, and it's awesome.

Woah which song?

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

RustyTrombone posted:

Woah which song?
This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xri-YuxS9s

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
"Deep Cover". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKq9StBZ7tg

I noticed it, too, having just beaten Hotline: Miami while listening back through the archives.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Just started playing Hotline, something very unsettling about that song.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Oh my god. Jonathan's Aaron Neville impersonation is so awesome.

"All I ne-e-e-eed to kno-o-o-o-ooooowww..."

Also related to Jonathan singing, this page on the UYD Wiki is awesome.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Damo posted:

His version of Aaron Neville singing the Kay commercial had me cracking up for a few solid minutes.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
He also does a Neville Led Zeppelin. Forget the episode. In the 200s I believe.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Oh my god, I love when Seth goes out in the field and reports back. This story he's telling about going to Universal Studios in Episode 228 is just THE loving BEST. His reactions to other people's reactions are just so amazing.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Damo posted:

Ep 67 has so much of Seth cracking up from Jonathan's singing, it's awesome.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
I'll admit it. I just came in to this thread to because I HAVE to know what that rap song is at the beginning of episode 360. Fuckin' awesome flow

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Communocracy posted:

I'll admit it. I just came in to this thread to because I HAVE to know what that rap song is at the beginning of episode 360. Fuckin' awesome flow

It tells you on the RSS feed what every single song is. That one's Aceyalone by The Guidelines however.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

big business sloth posted:

It tells you on the RSS feed what every single song is. That one's Aceyalone by The Guidelines however.

Other way around; Aceyalone is the rapper, "The Guidelines" is the track.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

nub posted:

Other way around; Aceyalone is the rapper, "The Guidelines" is the track.

Ack you're right, J does it song-artist-album uh doi

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

big business sloth posted:

Ack you're right, J does it song-artist-album uh doi

I only knew because I liked the song so much that I went to grooveshark and enjoyed the whole album. Thank you J-dog for expanding my horizons.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Yeah it is really good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The outro music to episode 75 :laffo: (you have to listen to the whole episode to get it)

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Started listenning at around 100 first time through, going through from number 1 for the first time. So excited for when craig comes around.

Lame as Heck
Mar 27, 2004

headcoatin' baby
2nd time through cus of my boring job, if you are looking for a starting point I have to say EPs 11-13 are the awakenings of an invincible beast.

Good moment in Ep 34. it's the one where Seth keeps opening the Pepsi Jazz magazine ad and Jonathan's poem that ends with "what goes on in mind of a lunatic." You know that since he can't get through a reading of his poetry without cracking up, Seth is staring at him the whole time, giving him a certain wide eyed look. Seth is such a panny chaser.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Lame as Heck posted:

2nd time through cus of my boring job, if you are looking for a starting point I have to say EPs 11-13 are the awakenings of an invincible beast.

Good moment in Ep 34. it's the one where Seth keeps opening the Pepsi Jazz magazine ad and Jonathan's poem that ends with "what goes on in mind of a lunatic." You know that since he can't get through a reading of his poetry without cracking up, Seth is staring at him the whole time, giving him a certain wide eyed look. Seth is such a panny chaser.

I loving love that Pepsi jazz ep. He keeps asking Jonathan questions and then interrupting his answer with the jazz jingle.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Am I getting deafer, or are the episodes getting quieter? I feel like even in a quiet room and my laptop volume on full, the last couple have been at just below a satisfactory listening volume.

Also, listening to the earlier episodes has made me really yearn for the return of This Week in Florida. Especially since somebody linked me to this Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan

...it just never ends.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's also a tumblr tag.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
I am facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

TACD posted:

Am I getting deafer, or are the episodes getting quieter? I feel like even in a quiet room and my laptop volume on full, the last couple have been at just below a satisfactory listening volume.

Yeah, you'd think with Jonathan producing music he'd be able to sort the volume out. If I go from listening to UYD to listening to music and forget to turn the volume down about 30% it blows my ears apart.