Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's good but the pacing seems off. It felt like the voice actors were always in a rush to get to the next "panel". I wanted a little more time to digest the dialogue in the scone short. Ray and Beef also could have spent more time just admiring the toilet to really sell the joke, sort of like the museum scene in Ferris Bueller. Onstad does a great Roast Beef though.

Locus posted:

Hmm, yeah. Ray needs to sound confident, but not actually as in control and smooth as he wants to be. Like, pauses to collect his thoughts and changes in momentum and excitement. I've always read Ray as a guy who gets really enthused about his ideas. It's probably just the voice actor getting a handle on the character, and maybe the voice itself at first. I imagine they paid him to only record a tiny bit to start out.

Huss just needs a couple measures of Ketel One to really channel Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
@achewood says there is an 'interesting development. More soon.' Dammit, I hate being teased.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Revol posted:

@achewood says there is an 'interesting development. More soon.' Dammit, I hate being teased.

The "interesting development" will be that it's all scrapped and he's going back into hiding.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Dominion posted:

The "interesting development" will be that it's all scrapped and he's going back into hiding.

You sure have your mind made up about Onstad, don't you?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Deathlove posted:

I would pay hell of cash to get "RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS!" animated and voiced, right now. Philippe is perfect.

Beef in the Whiskey-a-la-Mood and Toilet Party is also perfect. Wasn't too hot on the Kermit Memory Challenge voice, but the "THIS IS SO WACKY" line should kind of sound different.

And yeah, I'm not ever going to not see Cotton Hill shouting "KISS MY rear end, BITCH, I'LL BE AT DUANE'S". Still awesome.

:eng101: Scones are from history.

Yeah, I thought the "THIS IS SO WACKY" line was off, too. I always pictured the dialogue in that comic being more fast-paced and frantic, with Ray and Beef speaking over each other trying to ham it up as much as possible, while in the cartoon there are awkward pauses between every line and Ray and Beef aren't being quite as dramatic.

Out of those clips, I liked the original ones more than the comic remakes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fillerbunny posted:

You sure have your mind made up about Onstad, don't you?

Well, yes, but I was kidding. I don't think that is actually what the development will be. I'm excited as gently caress about the cartoon.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I thought the "THIS IS SO WACKY" line was off, too. I always pictured the dialogue in that comic being more fast-paced and frantic, with Ray and Beef speaking over each other trying to ham it up as much as possible, while in the cartoon there are awkward pauses between every line and Ray and Beef aren't being quite as dramatic.

The whiskey one was good and so was the party. The birthday one was definitely the weakest. Assuming they get some real funding and can dial in the character voices, this is really promising.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think Beef and Philippe's voices are perfect (Onstad seriously kills it as Beef, which is hilarious and great), but Ray doesn't really do much for me. I imagine him as having a much more considered tone, sort of handing down proclamations from a place of perfect inner security. Ray should almost be more condescending, but in a way where you don't feel like he's being condescending because he's just a guy who's blessed to always have the true idea.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I think this is so hit and miss due to directly adapting the strips and using dialogue written to be read and not to be spoken, which doesn't seen like it should be that different but really is.

If this goes to an actual show, I'm assuming whatever they end up doing will be written with voice actors in mind.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I think Onstad said in that Wired interview posted earlier that the intent was that some strips would be adapted, but it would be mostly new material to fit the medium.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finally got around to watching the promo and I thought it rocked, thoroughly and consistently. The birthday present one wasn't that hot, but everything else was great.

I thought Ray sounded pretty good and amusingly enough my immediate reaction to Beef was that he sounded weird, but then I almost immediately got more into it and by the end I was totally on board. And then of course it turned out to be Onstad playing the role, so no surprise he got it just right.

I really, really hope this gets picked up.

EDIT: And I also hope this is the final theme song. It's somehow ... perfect.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fillerbunny posted:

I think Onstad said in that Wired interview posted earlier that the intent was that some strips would be adapted, but it would be mostly new material to fit the medium.

Yeah, I imagine that it was easier to go with existing scripts for test footage and proof-of-concept sort of stuff. That was probably animated and voiced before they were really certain the cartoon would definitely happen, there's no use writing scripts at that point if you already have material to riff on.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Ray should almost be more condescending, but in a way where you don't feel like he's being condescending because he's just a guy who's blessed to always have the true idea.

This is bang on.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Voices aside, the animation in this five-minute short is absolutely inspired. My favourite moment is when Ray is showing Beef the whiskey, and he explains that one bottle "will make you boisterous and friendly...but in a way that will be too strong for some people". Ray's expression change between those two clauses and Beef's knowing nod afterwards just capture the dynamic between the two characters so perfectly.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Regarding the test footage, I think the first bit is weak just because I know the material, and am just sitting there blankly being more critical of it and remembering it word for word from my dumb brain.

The second one is great, because its new material and I'm laughing my rear end off.

And then the third/fourth kinda in between, because while being a redo, it has a lot more going on in it than the first strip, so yeah.

I'm excited though, that's freaking test footage, that must "suck" even more than the pilot, in terms of indicator as to whether a cartoon series will be good or not.

EDIT:
And I just realized how amazing gently caress You Friday's are going to be, please let that make it in, haha.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 28, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Loving Life Partner posted:

EDIT:
And I just realized how amazing gently caress You Friday's are going to be, please let that make it in, haha.

I'm waiting for a Roast Beef OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT reading.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Loving Life Partner posted:

EDIT:

Theres so many possibilities for formatting and mechanics. The Korean Magical Realism arc, the wedding, the flowcharts, phillipe's newspaper, it just goes on. Its going to be awesome.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

My thoughts on Onstad's performance as Roast Beef are that yes, he's got a good tone. However, I've always heard Beef as hesitant to say whatever it is that's coming out of his mouth, as if he's unsure he should speak but is forcing himself to do so. Onstad's Beef just sounds too confident for what the character seems like to me. He doesn't sound like a guy who Has Depression™ because he Comes From Circumstances™.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

What will really be interesting is the format of the full show. Will it be beavis and butthead style 10 min episodes, full half hour deals, or something else? Some form of shorter format would allow for things like the gently caress You Fridays, the various short gags, and other goofy stuff a comic allows. However the story arcs show Onstad could write a longer story. The Subway Wars could easily be a half hour of TV.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Pakled posted:

I thought that was one of the best lines in the entire thing, alongside Phillipe denouncing scones.

The ominous still shot of the car in the forest made me crack up.

Anyway, this is test footage. I doubt it's hardly indicative of what a completed product will be.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm definitely seeing two 11-min episodes in a block a la Adventure Time. I think it'd really work for Achewood.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

It is a perfect...Beef voice!

Ray still sounds a bit off to me, but really any voice will sound off to me coming out of Ray.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If they can get Patrick Stewart for Cornelius, all will be right in the world.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
After watching the test footage like 10 times, Ray's voice has really started to grow on me. Onstad as Roast Beef is also just perfect :3: .

Also, I really hope a complete version of the theme song surfaces soon.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Eel hovercraft posted:

After watching the test footage like 10 times, Ray's voice has really started to grow on me. Onstad as Roast Beef is also just perfect :3: .

Good news (kind of)!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eel hovercraft posted:

It surfaced quite a while ago. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBWkM0jzK0

e:f;b

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Welp, now I feel kinda stupid :v: .

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, I'm hoping Achewood's actual theme song is the opener.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

To be honest, I'm hoping Achewood's actual theme song is the opener.

On that note, it would be nice if they used this as well at some point :3: .

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What will really be interesting is the format of the full show. Will it be beavis and butthead style 10 min episodes, full half hour deals, or something else? Some form of shorter format would allow for things like the gently caress You Fridays, the various short gags, and other goofy stuff a comic allows. However the story arcs show Onstad could write a longer story. The Subway Wars could easily be a half hour of TV.

Just based off the format of Achewood since just before the fall, I'm guessing full episodes. Onstad was writing longer, more complex stories that felt more like storyboards for a tv show than serialized comic book stories punctuated by one offs.

I'm really excited about the possibility of Onstad having a writing team supporting him going forward. He's only gotten more ambitious over the years and, from the aborted high school arc to present, it seems like it's too much for him to tackle on his own. Having a team of creatives to both help him get his vision out there and call out bad ideas can only be a good thing. I'm specifically excited about the latter. Sometimes I feel like he needs someone who isn't a random fan to smack him in the face and be like "YOU'RE NOT CHRIS WARE! STOP TRYING TO BE CHRIS WARE! WRITE ACHEWOOD, NOT RAY SMUCKLES, THE DRUNKEST CAT ON EARTH"

And if he totally bows out we might luck out and get an Oakley\Weinstein type situation, where new creatives take the core concepts into the future.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
One interesting thing I noticed—Tina is in the Toilet Party clip. I wonder if she's going to be a bigger character in the show than she is in the strip (which I'd be totally okay with, as the Ray & Tina Reunited arc was hilarious and I've always felt Onstad could have done more with the character).

Also, regarding hypothetical voices, does everybody else think Lie Bot would sound like an obnoxious morning radio DJ? Because I can hardly imagine him having any other voice.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 28, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rollersnake posted:

One interesting thing I noticed—Tina is in the Toilet Party clip. I wonder if she's going to be a bigger character in the show than she is in the strip (which I'd be totally okay with, as the Ray & Tina Reunited arc was hilarious and I've always felt Onstad could have done more with the character).

She had a character page when "The Russians" account was still accessible, so it looks like they plan on her being a bigger part.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tina being there for the Bathroom Party wasn't the only thing they changed, originally it was Teodor who got the poo poo slapped out of him by Ray during the mood whiskey bit.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tina being there for the Bathroom Party wasn't the only thing they changed, originally it was Teodor who the poo poo slapped out of him by Ray during the mood whiskey bit.

That change was probably made because they haven't cast anyone as Teodor's voice actor yet.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Am I stupid? I tried ru5tyb1ke5, I tried therussians and yarddancer. What is the god drat password?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Der Shovel posted:

That change was probably made because they haven't cast anyone as Teodor's voice actor yet.

You can hear someone in the party scene talking about fancy foodie poo poo like Osso Buco, I assumed that was Teodor and you just can't see his mouth move because, well, because Teodor's mouth is sort of weird.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Happy Hippo posted:

Am I stupid? I tried ru5tyb1ke5, I tried therussians and yarddancer. What is the god drat password?

They changed it. Theres a download link posted a little later in the thread.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Yeah, sorry I can't really provide any kind of help or closure with that tumblr link to the full 5 minute test video, it was pasted in an IRC channel by some guy who saw it on twitter and nobody has been communicative about where it came from or where it went. At least we have that capture link. I'll edit my post to reflect the fact that the password doesn't work.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

Here, I tossed it on youtube for you all.

Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Those are some pretty great voices! It definitely made me realize that what works in a comic format doesn't necessarily work in animation, though. The pacing just ends up feeling weird.