Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Voltage posted:

Much, much worse.
I had to detail one, it was staggeringly terrible in every possible respect. Pretty much all Chryslers of that era were of similar "quality".

5th gear just did a review of the new 300c (which is a £35-40k car in the UK, and that is 530/A6 S-line/E-class AMG sport money) and they were highly critical of the the quality of the interior, considering the price. So while the interiors are vastly improved overall, they're still not doing the "cheap American interiors" reputation any favours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait...wait...is that seat...?

:psyduck:

It's a Toyota GT-One, I'm fairly sure they knew what they were doing.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

dissss posted:

Sadly that kit is fairly common here, there is even another SW20 with it listed

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/mr2/auction-564623487.htm
This thread has taught me that the Intruder body kit is popular everywhere. Most likely because they made it for a ton of models.

Hyundai!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cruseydr posted:

This thread has taught me that the Intruder body kit is popular everywhere. Most likely because they made it for a ton of models.

Hyundai!!!
That's still not as ugly as current Hyundai front end design.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Wrong. Imagine your averate PT Loser Cruiser driver. There is no way in hell they can reach those over their humongous panus.

Also, that interior is AMAZINGLY lovely looking. Is it as horrible as it looks to touch?

As a card carrying Nerd, I would just pretend I was adjusting console controls on a Star Trek shuttlecraft when raising and lowering my windows. It also gave me excellent training for being able to use the controls on the dash of my 65 Deville, where the radio knobs are somewhere near where the middle of the glove box would be on a modern car. Ergonomics have indeed improved over the last half century!

My interior wasn't too bad. Since my previous cars were an early 90s Ford Tempo and a mid 80s Cutlass Ciera, it seemed very modern to me. I don't like plasticky interiors in general nowadays though, so my tastes have changed.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

D C posted:

Random question then, do you know Billy Richards?

Nope, I barely went to New Paltz in my younger days. I'm more of a Newburgh/Middletown goon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VikingSkull posted:

Nope, I barely went to New Paltz in my younger days. I'm more of a Newburgh/Middletown goon.

My god do I ever love the steak with mushrooms at Steak & Stein.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
This car was built by a very well respected member in the NSX community, who has properly rebuilt many salvaged cars.

http://www.extrememotorcar.com/album79?page=12

Scroll from page 12 up to page 1. This proves the good lord giveth, and the good lord Taketh away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's a little ugly but I'd rather it be rebuilt like that than sitting in a field as a shattered husk.

I think the back looks great.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a little ugly but I'd rather it be rebuilt like that than sitting in a field as a shattered husk.

I think the back looks great.

Except the donor car was pristine, this wasn't one of his rebuilds. I should have been more clear, my bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that seriously Great Stuff they used to make their new bumper?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
There's a horribly riced out NSX around here (think the level of those aussie MR2s) and it makes me so sad everytime I see it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In that case, gross.

Some guy who lives near me has a very nice red NSX on gold wheels I see from time to time. I don't know if I could deal with the pressure of owning a car that rare.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

In that case, gross.

Some guy who lives near me has a very nice red NSX on gold wheels I see from time to time. I don't know if I could deal with the pressure of owning a car that rare.

They're weekend cars, it's never left at the mall or outside a restaurant out of view.

Crustashio posted:

There's a horribly riced out NSX around here (think the level of those aussie MR2s) and it makes me so sad everytime I see it.

There are a lot of owners that have questionable taste. They'd make most old CRX owners look like their heads were screwed on straight. Slide into the NSX Builds forum over at NSXprime if you'd like to be slightly offended sometime.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Crustashio posted:

Hey. Hey. New Zealand MR2s. We only claim ownership of New Zealand things when it suits us (see Phar Lap, Russel Crowe when he's not throwing phones at people).

Having said that, there are plenty of those miserable Intruder body kits over here as well, they are just more likely to be on auto-trans, front-drive shitboxes like Camrys. At least an MR2 has some manner of driving cachet.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
24's on the front, 26's on the back :whatup:

I guess the only terrible thing was the haphazardly placed spring blocks AND spacers used to get "just" enough clearance in the wheel wells. The ride quality was spine-joltingly atrocious as well.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 28, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kastein posted:

My god do I ever love the steak with mushrooms at Steak & Stein.

Goddamn, who knew we had this many Hudson Valley goons around? Schlesinger's is better, though :colbert: I can still smoke at the bar there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VikingSkull posted:

Goddamn, who knew we had this many Hudson Valley goons around? Schlesinger's is better, though :colbert: I can still smoke at the bar there.

I'm actually from central Massachusetts, but I ended up there every week or two for work for much of fall 2011 and winter 2012. So we usually hit up Steak&Stein for dinner at least once a trip. It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

e: terrible car stuff - loving hell Jeep, why did you make the transfer case shift linkages and brackets different between the auto and manual models?! GOD DAMNIT! :fuckoff:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Root Bear posted:

The ride quality was spine-joltingly atrocious as well.

So... you're saying you were inside of this car. HAH!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

VikingSkull posted:

I'm a bit up north in Albany, but my roomate went to Suny New Paltz a few years back so I used to go down there and hang out. The gilded otter rules!

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

In that case, gross.

Dude at my job daily drives one in the summer.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

As a card carrying Nerd, I would just pretend I was adjusting console controls on a Star Trek shuttlecraft when raising and lowering my windows. It also gave me excellent training for being able to use the controls on the dash of my 65 Deville, where the radio knobs are somewhere near where the middle of the glove box would be on a modern car. Ergonomics have indeed improved over the last half century!

My interior wasn't too bad. Since my previous cars were an early 90s Ford Tempo and a mid 80s Cutlass Ciera, it seemed very modern to me. I don't like plasticky interiors in general nowadays though, so my tastes have changed.

Thats why, as a nerd, i love the interior of the Citroen DS5:

Switches in the roof! :dance:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Giblet Plus! posted:

Dude at my job daily drives one in the summer.

And I don't see the big deal or the "pressure" of daily driving one. They can be had for significantly less than 1/2 of the cars sitting in my office parking lit right now, and nobody around here seems to feel pressure for leaving their AMG Merc out there or their new Range Rover or the 911 Turbo, etc, etc. Realistically we're talking less than even diesel pickup money here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'd be constantly playing airline pilot if I had those in my car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My dad's old Citroën Jumpy company car had the controls for the electric windows and mirrors in the same location on the bottom of the shelf above the windscreen. I have no idea why, but I thought it was cool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 28, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

mid 90s Chrysler Grand Caravans have the switches for the rear vent windows there, too.

... in case you ever get cursed with one of those things, which belong in this thread in ways I can't even express.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

And I don't see the big deal or the "pressure" of daily driving one. They can be had for significantly less than 1/2 of the cars sitting in my office parking lit right now, and nobody around here seems to feel pressure for leaving their AMG Merc out there or their new Range Rover or the 911 Turbo, etc, etc. Realistically we're talking less than even diesel pickup money here.

Because an NSX is rare, while a newish Merc is not.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also I imagine there's a lot more black market demand for high-end Honda parts than Mercedes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Because an NSX is rare, while a newish Merc is not.

Not rare enough to be worth much. Or is it not desirable enough to be worth much? Either way the market pretty much has spoken on that one, so it's hardly something worth fussing over if you leave it in a lot. Just not seeing the big deal.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The value of the NSX will double in the next 5-10 years imo. They've already started increasing in price over here.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I think it's more that if someone dings up your new Merc's fender in the parking lot, replacement parts exist to fix it. The prices on older supercars reflect the parts availability situation.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

The value of the NSX will double in the next 5-10 years imo. They've already started increasing in price over here.

Nooo, don't tell me this. :( I was really beginning to believe I could afford one inside of this decade.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think it's more that if someone dings up your new Merc's fender in the parking lot, replacement parts exist to fix it. The prices on older supercars reflect the parts availability situation.

Exactly. I just tried to order new OEM floor mats for mine today, and they're discontinued.

The used OEM parts market is starting to spiral upwards; as an example I saw a front bumper tow hook cover for sale yesterday for $100! OEM 2002+ wheels frequently sell for as much as a new set of BBS LM's. The one that gets me is the clutch, the OEM version sells for over $1,300 (nearly 1,800 retail).

Parts are silly, but again, it's a unique and special car with all the incidentals that come with that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

I need this. This is important.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How many power windows does that car have?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Five. The sixth locks in the auxiliary power in case of tractor beam.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

None of those are for the windows, the window controls are in the center console:

(4 windows, central locking button and rear window lockout button)

The controls on the ceiling are for the shades on the triple moon roofs. Each front seat has its own and there's a big one for the rear seat. I have no idea what the other buttons are for, but they look like HUD controls to me:

(Click for huge)

I totally want a DS5. Anything related to it really doesn't belong in this thread.

E: vvvv Well yeah, obviously. Actually I don't really want a DS5, I want a huge Citroën with ridiculously soft hydropneumatic suspension.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 1, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I totally want a DS5 Peugeot 508 SW. Anything related to it really doesn't belong in this thread.

Better

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

None of those are for the windows, the window controls are in the center console:

(4 windows, central locking button and rear window lockout button)

The controls on the ceiling are for the shades on the triple moon roofs. Each front seat has its own and there's a big one for the rear seat. I have no idea what the other buttons are for, but they look like HUD controls to me:

(Click for huge)

I totally want a DS5. Anything related to it really doesn't belong in this thread.

E: vvvv Well yeah, obviously. Actually I don't really want a DS5, I want a huge Citroën with ridiculously soft hydropneumatic suspension.

The SOS button calls the emergency services with your GPS location (and activates automatically in a severe crash), the button with the citroen logo calls citroen if you have a breakdown. I have a C4 that has a few of these controls on the roof (sunroof/sunshade and a bunch of LED reading lights). I have to say, the new C4 has about the most buttons I've ever seen in a car - about 50 or so in mine (6 on the arm rest, 12 on the wheel, two on the stalks, two paddles, 6 on the roof, as well as a full complement on the dash to both sides of the steering wheel, and four buttons on the dials that change the colours and brightness of various lighting). Combined with a really un-intuitive UI on the two (completely different) LCD displays, it's all a bit confusing. The Italian GPS system/iPod integration genuinely comes under 'Terrible Car stuff', spending most of the time crashed or pointing you in completely the wrong direction, and despite a £1,200 price tag, doesn't even have touch screen, so you have to turn a dial to 'type' in addresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the French do some weird stuff on their cars. Weird controls ( I don't have buttons on the steering wheel, I have two little extra stalks behind the wheel with audio/ cruise control buttons for example) and they might just have some technical problems (like needing a new turbo after 90000km :argh: ) but I really like their design. It's a lot more interesting to look at than most of the stuff other companies churn out. I sat in a DS5 at the dealer and I really love the cockpit. It's all science fictiony and buttony. But not in a confusing way like recent ford cockpits.
I'm pretty happy Peugeot is moving away from the whole gaping maw design though. Those cars had the stupidest smile on their face.