Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

An SA search for "trackpad magic swap" yielded results in this thread:

Space Harrier posted:

Apple store was good enough to let me swap it for the trackpad even though I was a little past the 14 days.

Jeratain posted:

Good news everyone (just me actually)! I went to the Apple Store today and they confirmed (...) If I bring the whole box in I can swap out the magic mouse for the trackpad
Signs point to "yes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
A while ago a friend gave me a dead HDD out of a MBP to try and recover, I couldn't get any data off of it and he never asked for it back. Years later he wants the drive back, but I lost track of it. I have two dead laptop drives that could potentially be his (a 500GB Seagate Momentus, and a 160GB WD Scorpio), both aren't Apple branded, and I recall pulling a drive out of my old PowerBook that had an Apple logo on it so I was under the impression that Apple branded all their HDDs. Do all Apple HDDs have Apple logos on them? Any way I can figure out which drive came out of a MacBook? I'm 90% sure it's the WD Scorpio but supposedly he's gonna spend thousands on a professional recovery service so...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NOTinuyasha posted:

A while ago a friend gave me a dead HDD out of a MBP to try and recover, I couldn't get any data off of it and he never asked for it back. Years later he wants the drive back, but I lost track of it. I have two dead laptop drives that could potentially be his (a 500GB Seagate Momentus, and a 160GB WD Scorpio), both aren't Apple branded, and I recall pulling a drive out of my old PowerBook that had an Apple logo on it so I was under the impression that Apple branded all their HDDs. Do all Apple HDDs have Apple logos on them? Any way I can figure out which drive came out of a MacBook? I'm 90% sure it's the WD Scorpio but supposedly he's gonna spend thousands on a professional recovery service so...
I think every HD I have pulled out of a Mac (even iMacs) has had some sort of Apple logo on them. I usually see Toshiba or Fujitsu 160GB drives in the older Macbooks, though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Unless his machine was BTO you can go to everymac.com and figure out what size drive it originally came with, though it should have an apple logo on it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you had the serial of the MacBook I could find out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

Is there any special reason the OSX partition on my 2009 17" MBP would spontaneously stop working on my home network? It connects to other wireless networks fine and I can browse as normally as a bandwidth leech can, it *connects* to the home network its worked with for a year, but the home network just doesn't connect to anything. A whole lotta "page is not responding" and such.

I noticed the problem around the time I got my iPhone (first ever smartphone so I have nothing to compare it to) but I spend a lot of time in a Windows partition so I doubt there's a causal relationship there. And on the Windows partition, the network works like a charm. I'm posting with it right now!
My first suggestion (beyond just restarting and updating everything) would be to check IP addresses of everything. Maybe there's a DHCP conflict somewhere or you have something in your network setup that's only conflicting with your home wireless setup. Got any third party things like Little Snitch or Marco Polo by any chance?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Joe Don Baker posted:

If you had the serial of the MacBook I could find out.

This would help immensely, I'll shoot you a PM when I get it. Thanks a lot!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

kuskus posted:

An SA search for "trackpad magic swap" yielded results in this thread:

Signs point to "yes".

This is only if you bought it from the Apple site or retail store. Officially you're out of luck if you bought from a reseller. THough they did it for me any way when I asked really nicely a few times.

Also the mouse doesn't come in retail box. It's in the same packaging as the keyboard and it simply wrapped with a foam thing. I just brought it in and they swapped it without needing a receipt or anything.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Would getting a 128 macbook air be stupid?

My gf is looking at one, but is not sure about 256 or 128. She has a old plastic macbook with 150gb now. She has had that for like 4.5 years. She plans to keep this one a long time too.

She will mostly be listening to music on spotify and watch netflix, so not much music/movies on it. She may cut some home videos and edit some photos, she will maybe play some Diablo 3, but not any newer games. If she plans to keep it for 4 year or whatever should she just bite the bullet and get 256? It's quite a lot more expensive. She's going with the 8gb ram whichever she picks.

How much does the i5/i7 uppgrade change? Is it worth it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sistergodiva posted:

My gf is looking at one, but is not sure about 256 or 128. She has a old plastic macbook with 150gb now that she has had for like 4.5 years. She plans to keep this one a long time too.

She will mostly be listening to music on spotify and watch netflix, so not much music/movies on it. She may cut some home videos and edit some photos, she will maybe play some Diablo 3, but not any never games. If she plans to keep it for 4 year or whatever should she just bite the bullet and get 256? It's quite a lot more expensive. She's going with the 8gb ram whichever she picks.

The refurb 256gb is $10 cheaper than the new 128gb on the apple refurb store

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD232LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

So get the 256gb.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Don Lapre posted:

The refurb 256gb is $10 cheaper than the new 128gb on the apple refurb store

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD232LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

So get the 256gb.

Sorry, we're in Sweden, so no refurb :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sistergodiva posted:

My gf is looking at one, but is not sure about 256 or 128. She has a old plastic macbook with 150gb now. She has had that for like 4.5 years. She plans to keep this one a long time too.

She will mostly be listening to music on spotify and watch netflix, so not much music/movies on it. She may cut some home videos and edit some photos, she will maybe play some Diablo 3, but not any newer games. If she plans to keep it for 4 year or whatever should she just bite the bullet and get 256? It's quite a lot more expensive. She's going with the 8gb ram whichever she picks.

Why not just get the regular Pro with the 500GB HD? You can add 8GB for like $35.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Bob Morales posted:

Why not just get the regular Pro with the 500GB HD? You can add 8GB for like $35.

She wants an air and she wants a ssd. If it where up to me I would just get her a nice pc :P

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I dont see any reason for someone to get a pro unless they just have to have a hard firewire port, not to mention the 500gb isn't solid state.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

She wants an air and she wants a ssd. If it where up to me I would just get her a nice pc :P

If you're going to get 8GB + 256GB Air, just get the 13" Retina :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Posting from my new 27" iMac. Holy poo poo this thing is sweet. I don't know what to do with all this screen real estate.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Yesterday my local Apple store agreed to replace my somewhat broken, one year out of warranty Mid-2011 15" MBP. It was a recurrent but intermittent issue and had been more than 90 days since the last repair, so right now I'm pretty happy.

It's going to take 14 days to bring a replacement in though as I had BTO upgrades, and given that the machine will still be two year old spec (assuming I'm incredibly unlikely to receive a newer model?) I was thinking about selling it on and replacing it with either a 15" Retina or an Air from our UK refurb store. Prices for completed auctions on eBay for the same model peg it at a pretty small loss over the price I paid in the first place, so am very tempted.

Anybody got any recommendations for or against this? The existing machine already had to he high res screen upgrade and I have an SSD to go back in it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

Yesterday my local Apple store agreed to replace my somewhat broken, one year out of warranty Mid-2011 15" MBP. It was a recurrent but intermittent issue and had been more than 90 days since the last repair, so right now I'm pretty happy.

It's going to take 14 days to bring a replacement in though as I had BTO upgrades, and given that the machine will still be two year old spec (assuming I'm incredibly unlikely to receive a newer model?) I was thinking about selling it on and replacing it with either a 15" Retina or an Air from our UK refurb store. Prices for completed auctions on eBay for the same model peg it at a pretty small loss over the price I paid in the first place, so am very tempted.

Anybody got any recommendations for or against this? The existing machine already had to he high res screen upgrade and I have an SSD to go back in it.

Are they replacing the machine or the motherboard? It would be unusual for them to replace the entire machine with another 2 year old BTO.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Sorry, we're in Sweden, so no refurb :(

As someone who also has no access to refurbs I have a 128GB 4GB Air and I LOVE IT seriously it loving owns.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Are they replacing the machine or the motherboard? It would be unusual for them to replace the entire machine with another 2 year old BTO.

Whole machine, I was told to bring the old machine home and carry on using it until they called me to say the new one had arrived in around two weeks' time. At that point they asked me to bring in the broken machine in box with the charger and bits that came with it.

Sadly it doesn't boot any more so that was kind of a moot gesture, and I'm confined to an iPad for everything for a bit - hence assessing whether I could manage with a lower power machine like an Air, or go for something more luxury for that extra nice feel on the occasions I need to use it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Just got a new rMBP 15". So happy. I havent used a mac in several years and some of the new OSX stuff is pretty awesome

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

This is only if you bought it from the Apple site or retail store. Officially you're out of luck if you bought from a reseller. THough they did it for me any way when I asked really nicely a few times.

Also the mouse doesn't come in retail box. It's in the same packaging as the keyboard and it simply wrapped with a foam thing. I just brought it in and they swapped it without needing a receipt or anything.

You got yours from B&H right? I'll probably try that too unless they give me push back.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Probably, depends on who you get.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Joe Don Baker posted:

Posting from my new 27" iMac. Holy poo poo this thing is sweet. I don't know what to do with all this screen real estate.

Get used to opening lots of desktops and swiping between them all the time...

Lots and lots of desktops....

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
How do the Logitech K750/760 keyboards compare to the Apple branded keyboards? I just snagged an external monitor for my MBP and I'd like to pick up a Mac-friendly keyboard. Wired vs. wireless isn't a big deal, since I'm docking into the monitor's USB hub for my audio interface, MIDI controller and mouse.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
So it seems my 09' MBP 15 is having some issues, since my apple care expired on December and my Macbook looked pretty beat up I bought a new palmrest from eBay, got it installed and noticed the keyboard lights did not turn, sent it back to the tech who explained it was not connected, fair enough, got it back and for a few days worked somewhat normally but it showed signs of degrading performance (the machine never had its harddrive replaced since 2009), then after watching a movie and browsing around it turned it self off, eventually it would only boot on safe mode and finally it would never boot into anything without turning off.

Now it refuses to turn on, I hope to God that is a hard drive issue.

Any thoughts ?

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Ps. Verbose mode showed "RUNTIME CORRUPTION" and then shutting down... But now when I plug in the charger shows green but nothing else.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Well it's charging now but it wont start...

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Has anyone had the rubber pieces on the bottom of the MacBook Pro fall off? I've had two fall off now and it's kind of annoying. It doesn't look like Apple replaces them without me paying them to replace the entire bottom case, so I'm not really sure what to do about it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

keevo posted:

Has anyone had the rubber pieces on the bottom of the MacBook Pro fall off? I've had two fall off now and it's kind of annoying. It doesn't look like Apple replaces them without me paying them to replace the entire bottom case, so I'm not really sure what to do about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Feet-Replacement-Macbook-SILVER/sim/B0055U863S/2

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
If you're still covered by AppleCare, Apple will replace them for free.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
The laptop isn't covered.

It says currently unavailable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Here's the original vendor link:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Bottom-Feet-Replacement-Set-Macbook-Pro-15-p-17209.html

Out of stock and it costs $15 for the set of four. Almost $4 for each foot!

Edit: bit of a ripoff since the original kit from Apple comes with 8 feet and a tube of glue..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 1, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I dont see any reason for someone to get a pro unless they just have to have a hard firewire port, not to mention the 500gb isn't solid state.

CD Rom drive
wired Ethernet
FireWire
"Wants something that won't snap"
Wants more than 256GB without spending $9,000

These are all real cases that cause regular (remember, normal regular) people to buy the Pro.

Will this last forever? No. But the options are there and it's still enough of a difference to land on one and be happy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'd say regular people are more likely to have wifi than ethernet these days, and I'm not sure FireWire has ever been all that relevant to them outside of the early years of it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

japtor posted:

I'd say regular people are more likely to have wifi than ethernet these days, and I'm not sure FireWire has ever been all that relevant to them outside of the early years of it.

There's no point in arguing - any or all of those points could make or break the choice between the Air and the Pro - ill agree the optical drive and HDD are more why people would go for it.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Can anyone please tell me what this blotch is in the middle of my screen? It only shows up against a dark background. I'm out of AppleCare. It doesn't make the machine unusable or anything but it kind of sucks. What are my options?

photo by bpetiprin, on Flickr

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hard to tell cause I'm posting from my iPhone, but it looks like my brother's old pre unibody MBP where the edge of the palm rest/trackpad area caused a little scratch in the middle of the screen.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

japtor posted:

Hard to tell cause I'm posting from my iPhone, but it looks like my brother's old pre unibody MBP where the edge of the palm rest/trackpad area caused a little scratch in the middle of the screen.

Yup, I'd probably agree with that - my mid-2010 13" MBP has the same thing as well. Out of curiosity would Apple replace the screen because of this (under warranty of course)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

beergod posted:

Can anyone please tell me what this blotch is in the middle of my screen? It only shows up against a dark background. I'm out of AppleCare. It doesn't make the machine unusable or anything but it kind of sucks. What are my options?

photo by bpetiprin, on Flickr

I have the same thing on my MBP screen, even roughly the same shape of the weird blotch (bought used, and I knew it was an issue when I bought it). I have no idea why it's there. I've tried figuring it out, but there's nothing I've tried to either get rid of it, make it worse, or explain it.

Though I just checked, and the main "line" of the blotch lines up with the beginning of the palmrest/end of the keyboard, so you're prob right, japtor. That said, I don't see a scratch or anything, not even a dent, but maybe it's technically behind the screen glass? And if so, are there any guards/covers for the palmrest or screen covers or whatever that may help prevent this from getting worse?