Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Meta Ridley posted:

Only reason I am not cutting my losses and scrapping it is because I literally paid $2900 and got 0 use out of it

I almost paid that for my wagon and probably got less use out of it, unless you count looking at it in your driveway/garage.

Or washing it for 8ender :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Here's another header comparison:

Cosworth long block, GT30R, E85. Stock vs Perrin

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I picked up a new wagon last week, it's been great so far and I am in love with the 3.6. I ordered the hood deflector for the car, which I thought was a good idea considering what the hood of my sti looks like. Should I put the deflector on? Do any of you guys use them? Or is it just stupid and going to break eventually anyway?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You could just go with a clearbra.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

jamal posted:

You could just go with a clearbra.

That looks like cellphone screen protection, does it bubble easily on application?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

burtonos posted:

That looks like cellphone screen protection, does it bubble easily on application?

Not if its' done right. I had it done on my 2008 in early 2009, and you can barely tell that it is there until you are within a few inches of it, and that's only if it the car hasn't been polished clean recently.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
The only potential downside - I've got it on my 08 LGT and I've had it since new. They had to reapply it due to bubbling after the first year (poor application - was just lazy about taking it back in), but after about 4 years it's starting to yellow a bit. And if you pull it off, the paint will be darker underneath, so you may as well reapply....

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

burtonos posted:

I picked up a new wagon last week, it's been great so far and I am in love with the 3.6. I ordered the hood deflector for the car, which I thought was a good idea considering what the hood of my sti looks like. Should I put the deflector on? Do any of you guys use them? Or is it just stupid and going to break eventually anyway?

I like the look of the deflector on my black Impreza. Check NASIOC for pictures that match what you have and decide if you like the look from that. I decided to forgo a clearbra mainly due to cost.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

The only potential downside - I've got it on my 08 LGT and I've had it since new. They had to reapply it due to bubbling after the first year (poor application - was just lazy about taking it back in), but after about 4 years it's starting to yellow a bit. And if you pull it off, the paint will be darker underneath, so you may as well reapply....

I heard they make them that allow UV light through to fade the paint at the same rate. I'm not sure if this is true.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

I like the look of the deflector on my black Impreza. Check NASIOC for pictures that match what you have and decide if you like the look from that. I decided to forgo a clearbra mainly due to cost.

With the paint I picked it looks like that thing will be nearly invisible. Also, I don't know if I am going to find an authorized dealer in my area.

Thanks for the input guys!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If anyone was shopping for new shocks, the koni sale starts tomorrow.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

The shocks i bought last year during the sale from you are still in my closet. :sigh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jamal posted:

Prices for 06 Saabaru, please.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't get this year's sale pricing until tomorrow, but it should be just under 600 shipped.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Anything for my 02 legacy? I hate my tokico HTS's. I want billy HD's, but am interested in other options.

Shiv
May 21, 2001

Ready for action

Roman Rambo posted:

I think the sound is a silly reason to not go to equal headers but I'm very biased since I have equal length headers on the car. It still sounds ok! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2gti8P0kc

I have a similar setup and car, I love the sound of the invidia header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPPxrODh5Gw

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Hmmm... I had given up on the idea of getting a Legacy SS wagon because so many of them are either rust buckets or overpriced, but one popped up near me that is actually in good condition and reasonably priced.

I know the ej22t is a loved motor in general, but how do you SA Subaru folks feel about the BF (I think that's the chassis code) SS?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

A kid up here just sold his for between 2000 and 3000.

They seem fine. Common rust spots are rockers and inner rear doors. Nothing I would stress over, but yeah, you'll have to look around. legacy bbs, craigslist, etc. It's going to be a waiting game.

A mint legacy ss sedan was just bought by a local club member for 800 bucks. THey're out there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They're not intercooled, so you're sort of limited on how much power you can really produce.

The EJ22T is a monster of an engine. You can chuck an MBC in there and some take-off WRX parts (such as an intercooler) and have a pretty powerful car without worrying too much about detonation - it's one of the few Subarus that seems to respond well to Turbo Dodge style redneck tuning. I'm not sure what your options for tuning are; probably Megasquirt or a WRX takeoff would get you most of the way there.

There was one for sale locally this week that I tried in vain to get ahold of (for $300-500 because the guy thought it was a blown head gasket - nearly no rust). If only I had more free time to take care of another neglected car. It shouldn't be hard to find new body panels but rear quarter and the rockers are perhaps another story.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 1, 2013

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I had a 91 rust bucket a few years back with the frankenswap (2.2 head 2.5 bottom) so I'm pretty familiar with the many places that can rust unfortunately.

Regarding power, I know they aren't intercooled, and supposedly are only worth something lik ~160hp stock, but do they really see any kind of decent gains from the WRX bolt ons? I'm assuming TD04, intercooler, and a 3" exhaust? I don't know that I'm going to get so crazy as to Megasquirt right away (unless that's my only tuning option), but if I can pick this one up for $1500 I'd be pretty ok spending another 1000-1500 on it for some fun.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Hmmm... I had given up on the idea of getting a Legacy SS wagon because so many of them are either rust buckets or overpriced, but one popped up near me that is actually in good condition and reasonably priced.

I know the ej22t is a loved motor in general, but how do you SA Subaru folks feel about the BF (I think that's the chassis code) SS?

I had one that put 275whp / 325wtq down reliably for the ~65k km I owned it. It was an impossible to kill, stupid-fast, throttle-lift-oversteering beast and I loved it. A great motor with a fun car wrapped around it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

sofullofhate posted:

I had one that put 275whp / 325wtq down reliably for the ~65k km I owned it. It was an impossible to kill, stupid-fast, throttle-lift-oversteering beast and I loved it. A great motor with a fun car wrapped around it.

Wow, that's awesome. Was that on stock internals too or was it built?

Paint me a word picture :allears:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Anything for my 02 legacy? I hate my tokico HTS's. I want billy HD's, but am interested in other options.

Ummm, maybe. The 05-09 rear shocks will fit, but I think the spring perch is in a different spot. You would have to get the rears, compare them to what you have stock, and them possibly get a set of later rear springs to go with them (for your car the rear is a complete shock replacement and not an insert). I did send a guy some coilovers for the BL but since the perches are adjustable there wasn't a problem.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Shiv posted:

I have a similar setup and car, I love the sound of the invidia header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPPxrODh5Gw

Sounds very similar. Is that a Toyota hybrid badge on the trunk? I have one here that I'm toying with putting on.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Are tranny cocktails (uncle scotty's, etc) really worth the trouble over finding extra-s(and on that note, does anyone have an extra-s hookup in Los Angeles)? I'm about to hit 25k miles on the 08 WRX, and am planning on taking care of the 30k service ASAP.

So far, everything feels and runs fine, but I don't know if all that nasioc broscience really makes much of a difference at all.

Shiv
May 21, 2001

Ready for action

Roman Rambo posted:

Sounds very similar. Is that a Toyota hybrid badge on the trunk? I have one here that I'm toying with putting on.

Yes it is. I have three trunk lids, and the one shown is from a 2007(?) RS. I was thinking of keeping the RS badge on the lid, but preferred the hybrid badge.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

McSpatula posted:

Are tranny cocktails (uncle scotty's, etc) really worth the trouble over finding extra-s(and on that note, does anyone have an extra-s hookup in Los Angeles)? I'm about to hit 25k miles on the 08 WRX, and am planning on taking care of the 30k service ASAP.

So far, everything feels and runs fine, but I don't know if all that nasioc broscience really makes much of a difference at all.

I just got Extra-S from here:
https://shop.bostonmotorsports.com/Subaru-Extra-S-Gear-Oil--Quarts_p_419.html

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

McSpatula posted:

Wasn't it found out that those cocktails turn bad later on and do nasty things to the gearboxes? I seem to recall that became "a thing".

Just go extra-s, all you need.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Geirskogul posted:

Head gasket replacement thread incoming.

:)

So the shop quoted me $1300. This is parts & labor for replacing the gaskets and machining the heads. Now I don't think this is a bad price at all for the work involved, but I am definitely worried about damage in the shortblock (bearings and rods, or warped/cracks in block)..I really don't want to spend $1300 on this repair just to throw a rod in a week. So I have 3 options:

-Pay $1300 for the repair, and pray
-Frankenmotor (2.2 heads/use current 2.5 block). I believe I'd need the following?
code:
2.2 Intake manifold w/ EGR Valve (ADM 95-98 A/T)
2.2 pair of head assemblies (95-98)
Exhaust Y-pipe
2.2 Timing (Belt and Tensioner, rest of 2.5 timing is compatible)
current 2.5 ECU -  i think this is compatible?
This would have to be a DIY project, mechanic afraid it would have emissions problems and won't go for it. Problem is, this isn't a hobbyist project. I have no car and am paying $200/week for a rental.

-Just Swap the whole damned engine. Guessing $1800-2000 unless I find a good deal on one CL or a junkyard. EJ25Ds seem to go for around $1-1.2K. Sounds crazy for such an old and a bit flawed engine. As expensive as it is I am thinking this is the best option.
-Part it out. Buy different car. Not happening though, probably a mental thing even if it made most financial sense.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You'd have to ask chrisgt (since he's built one - I will bug him about replying) but I thought a 2.2/2.5 hybrid might involve some machine shop work to match the combustion chamber.

There are lots of ej25ds in my local junkyards but who knows why those cars are there.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
You can get an EJ25D pretty cheap. I have 1.5 of them in my garage. Where do you live?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Northern Colorado. Outbacks are very popular here due to icy weather too. This does seem to have a lot of good advice too, maybe I'd have better luck than I think?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Mat_Drinks posted:

Wow, that's awesome. Was that on stock internals too or was it built?

Paint me a word picture :allears:

Power-adder stuff (from memory):

* Stock bottom end
* Port / polish / 5-angle valves, stock cams
* Turbonetics hybrid magicked turbocharger (upsized compressor & ??? can't remember)
* Custom intake w/ 2 extra injectors / emissions delete
* GReddy blow-off (I know, I know, but I loved the sound, sue me)
* GReddy manual boost controller (this is a bad idea never do this)
* Custom exhaust
* Walbro 255lph pump
* GReddy additional injector controller
* ??? clutch

I did a lot of work on the suspension and brakes, and had STi V4 seats / wheel / shift knob in it. For fear of breaking driveshafts / transmission I never launched it hard from a stop, but it would break all four tires loose on dry pavement if I rolled on hard in first or second. And of course it would drift luridly through corners if I was heavy on the throttle. It idled like poo poo because stock ECU but the GReddy additional injector controller was brilliant so as long as the car was rolling it ran really well.

Related note: bet you guessed how I learned about throttle-lift oversteer...

I also built a really fun NA '98 LGT that screamed, but never made me grin as hard / act as stupid as the '91 did.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
2 things to report today:

1. New plugs after 70k miles - drat car feels completely different. (stock replacement NGK iridium)
2. Replaced thermostat - old one definitely dead, but still feel like new one isn't doing great either... are LGT cooling systems THAT good?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hey, thanks for this. I love how BMS always has free ground shipping + no tax + the random free poo poo he always throws in the box. Good people.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sofullofhate posted:

Power-adder stuff (from memory):

* Stock bottom end
* Port / polish / 5-angle valves, stock cams
* Turbonetics hybrid magicked turbocharger (upsized compressor & ??? can't remember)
* Custom intake w/ 2 extra injectors / emissions delete
* GReddy blow-off (I know, I know, but I loved the sound, sue me)
* GReddy manual boost controller (this is a bad idea never do this)
* Custom exhaust
* Walbro 255lph pump
* GReddy additional injector controller
* ??? clutch

I did a lot of work on the suspension and brakes, and had STi V4 seats / wheel / shift knob in it. For fear of breaking driveshafts / transmission I never launched it hard from a stop, but it would break all four tires loose on dry pavement if I rolled on hard in first or second. And of course it would drift luridly through corners if I was heavy on the throttle. It idled like poo poo because stock ECU but the GReddy additional injector controller was brilliant so as long as the car was rolling it ran really well.

I also built a really fun NA '98 LGT that screamed, but never made me grin as hard / act as stupid as the '91 did.

I was going to say that had to be pre-WRX because that is an ancient mod list if there ever was one, just like my old 323 GTX had basically every HKS piece made for it, where now you just put in Megasquirt and some modifications (or a tune for Subarus) and you're on your way.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Spark plugs on EJ257. Do they really last 60k mi?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

jamal posted:

Bad news: not nearly as good of a sale as last year. Still on sale at least. For pricing I need to know what car you have and where you live. It varies from around 540 for an LGT to 660 for a GD, plus shipping.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 2, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

sofullofhate posted:

Are you on legacycentral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

jamal posted:

Are you on legacycentral?

Not in about a thousand years. It has also been awhile since I owned either of those cars.