Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
His matches are fun to watch but I feel like he's bound to be stuck between the levels. If he bulks up it may help but won't he lose some of that quickness and fancy footwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

His matches are fun to watch but I feel like he's bound to be stuck between the levels. If he bulks up it may help but won't he lose some of that quickness and fancy footwork?

Harumafuji is obviously dominating and has blistering moves even though he's a bit bigger than Taka. If Taka could get within 10 kg of Harumafuji he'd be a machine.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's clearly got balance, intelligence and technique, but he's never going to be able to consistently beat larger opponents unless he can manage to bulk up a little.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't think he's going to bulk up until his metabolism slows down. He's been trying like hell and he's still not even 100kg. His oyakata even gave him insulin to bulk up (not sure if that would work? I dunno, I think he was desperate). Mainoumi was pretty small too, though, and he was reasonably successful and popular. If Takanoyama becomes as skilled as Mainoumi, I'm sure he could make it to high maegashira ranks. Mainoumi made it to komusubi!

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

I never really paid much attention to Sumo until this thread got me to start watching the youtube links you all posted here. Was pretty fascinating to watch, especially with the OPs background information to help it make a bit more sense.

Today though I had a random Youtube video of Asashoryu pop up and I watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCMkwCHSwc

Its a video of 20 of his tournament winning matches.

What amazed me is how strong he seems, and even looks compared to the rest of the competitors. I get that Sumo aren't all fat, but if you look at his neck and shoulders you can tell he really seems to have a level of physical strength that I don't recall seeing in the rest of the wrestlers in the tournaments posted recently, and at least in these matches posted he seems to use that strength to manhandle his opponents. Seems like a lot of them he just uses his strength to get the guy upright and just shove him out.

How common is it for sumos to do weight training and more 'modern' strength increasing workout programs? Asashoryu, while obviously carrying some fat, seems to be more muscle mass than most the people he was wrestling.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Just bought my ticket to Day 7 of the March basho in Osaka. So excited!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mao posted:

I never really paid much attention to Sumo until this thread got me to start watching the youtube links you all posted here. Was pretty fascinating to watch, especially with the OPs background information to help it make a bit more sense.

Today though I had a random Youtube video of Asashoryu pop up and I watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCMkwCHSwc

Its a video of 20 of his tournament winning matches.

What amazed me is how strong he seems, and even looks compared to the rest of the competitors. I get that Sumo aren't all fat, but if you look at his neck and shoulders you can tell he really seems to have a level of physical strength that I don't recall seeing in the rest of the wrestlers in the tournaments posted recently, and at least in these matches posted he seems to use that strength to manhandle his opponents. Seems like a lot of them he just uses his strength to get the guy upright and just shove him out.

How common is it for sumos to do weight training and more 'modern' strength increasing workout programs? Asashoryu, while obviously carrying some fat, seems to be more muscle mass than most the people he was wrestling.

Asashoryu was a physical specimen, but I'm fairly sure that they all do pretty serious strength training.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
During the last basho a guy was telling me sumo wrestlers actually have the most lean mass out of any athlete, including powerlifters. I'm skeptical but it certainly sounds plausible.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Anime Reference posted:

During the last basho a guy was telling me sumo wrestlers actually have the most lean mass out of any athlete, including powerlifters. I'm skeptical but it certainly sounds plausible.

Akebono was on a variety show the other week and he said that when he was in fighting shape his body-fat percentage was 20%.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

I guess I should have worded my thoughts better.

Sumo is such a traditional sport, and has so many traditions and rules to it. As has been mentioned in this thread regarding off duty dress and behavior, the various rituals before a match, and even in regulating how many foreign wrestlers are allowed to be in each stable.

Are the training methods and such of the stables also bound by such traditions? Or, do they have a lot of the things found in major western sports machines like nutritionists, doctors and 'sports medicine' people that are constantly testing for the latest and greatest workouts and regimens to give their wrestlers that edge in strength, speed, weight, or what have you?

To me the conflict between how traditional the sport is vs the new advances in medicine and physiology could be an interesting topic, as well as how the sport is adopting to it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Anime Reference posted:

I'd think this would be obvious, powerlifting is a weight class sport. Sumo isn't.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Uber Kosh posted:

Super jealous, take plenty of pictures for the thread!

Mao posted:

Are the training methods and such of the stables also bound by such traditions? Or, do they have a lot of the things found in major western sports machines like nutritionists, doctors and 'sports medicine' people that are constantly testing for the latest and greatest workouts and regimens to give their wrestlers that edge in strength, speed, weight, or what have you?

To me the conflict between how traditional the sport is vs the new advances in medicine and physiology could be an interesting topic, as well as how the sport is adopting to it.

That's a good question, from the Nat Geo/Discovery stuff I've seen they never mention any hi-tech equipment or medicine. They look like they train the old fashioned way and eat chanko and drink beer. I most definitely could be wrong here and someone more familiar please enlighten us!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The only thing I've ever heard about it is that they also do that leg lifting thing as an exercise. There has to be a more efficient way...

There is a lot of money in it, so I assume the training will revolutionize sooner or later, but its going to be really painful for a sport with so many traditions. Consider a stable suddenly stops using the lower ranked rikishi as man-servants and actually puts them in a serious training regime. If they start dominating it will upset things a lot.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Rikishi definitely do weight training but I'm not sure how "high tech" they get in terms of training. I don't really see much of a point, really. Part of sumo's allure is that it's an age old tradition. That being said, people in Sumo Forum sometimes suspect steroid use, which I really can't refute.

Edit: Really if everyone is on a level playing field, whatever, it doesn't really bother me.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Rikishi definitely do weight training but I'm not sure how "high tech" they get in terms of training. I don't really see much of a point, really. Part of sumo's allure is that it's an age old tradition. That being said, people in Sumo Forum sometimes suspect steroid use, which I really can't refute.

Edit: Really if everyone is on a level playing field, whatever, it doesn't really bother me.

Asashoryu supposedly benched 440lb, so I'm sure the elite do pretty close to NFL levels of weight training.

IMO trying too hard to cheat in sumo wouldn't be too effective compared to other sports since it's so technique and balance-based. The 3 Mongolian yokozuna are the only rikishi that come to mind as ones who physically dominate in their victories, and Harumafuji is in the lower third in size.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I've read stuff about Hakuho doing weight training with people. I wouldn't be surprised about training supplements but I haven't read anything about them so I don't know.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I'm sorry to post just this, but do the even numbered months go by the slowest?

Well, I was looking to see the whole list of techniques but my eyes glazed over. I didn't realize there were so many! I just knew oshidashi etc. Well I'll be busy reading up!

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 17, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Funkysauce posted:

I'm sorry to post just this, but do the even numbered months go by the slowest?

Well, I was looking to see the whole list of techniques but my eyes glazed over. I didn't realize there were so many! I just knew oshidashi etc. Well I'll be busy reading up!

Its definitely one of those wikipedia pages you read while in bed and doze off halfway through.
The sumo wikipedia pages actually do a pretty good job at explaining whats going on too.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Banzuke for Haru is out

Chiyotairyu, Takayasu and Ikoi get their just rewards from their good work in January, but not exactly much else to talk about with everyone at the top doing enough to stay put.

I'm personally hoping Tochinoshin can make a push back into the sanyaku ranks.

Anyone know anything about the newcomers from Juryo?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Banzuke for Haru is out

Chiyotairyu, Takayasu and Ikoi get their just rewards from their good work in January, but not exactly much else to talk about with everyone at the top doing enough to stay put.

I'm personally hoping Tochinoshin can make a push back into the sanyaku ranks.

Anyone know anything about the newcomers from Juryo?

Holy poo poo, Homasho went from M5 to J1 due to an injury?? Also :lol: at Miyabiyama at J9. Dude's career is ending with a pathetic shart when he had so many chances to go out with his dignity.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Holy poo poo, Homasho went from M5 to J1 due to an injury?? Also :lol: at Miyabiyama at J9. Dude's career is ending with a pathetic shart when he had so many chances to go out with his dignity.

So if they're listed on the Banzuke it means they didn't pull out? Oh man :(

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Homasho really got the raw end of the deal there. They could've just stuck him at M16 and keep Oiwato in Juryo or something. Given his record I'd doubt that he'll make much of an impact.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

So if they're listed on the Banzuke it means they didn't pull out? Oh man :(

Miyabiyama's pride must make Walter White look humble. He's going to be down in Jonidan, 50 years old, and still wrestling at this rate. Maybe we can get the chance to watch him and Orora wrestle in an all-weak-fatass derby.

I feel so bad for Homasho. Baruto sits out nearly all of two tournaments and came a couple of victories from emerging unscathed (dropping 1 rank instead) and Homasho drops over 10 ranks. I agree, just put him at the bottom of Maegashira - he's been wrestling well for too long to drop him that far as a result of one injury.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Honestly I think going down to Juryo after an injury is a great idea. You don't have to go out as hard everyday and you still get paid. Besides, if he's fully healed, he'll be back in the maegashira ranks by July.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You know what's an even better idea? Not dropping rank because of an injury. Masunoyama has a dangerous, but easily fixable, heart condition massively impacting his stamina in bouts, but can't take time off to sort it out without being penalised.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
The whole sumo ranking system is so fluid that Homasho could be back from J1 to fighting against the Komusubi and up within six months if he shows good numbers.

The same goes for Masunoyama, doubly so because he's only 22, TRIPLY so because he's already done it before when he sprained his ankle back in September 2011!

Sumo wouldn't be as exciting to me if it didn't have those stakes. It's the constant danger of demotion and the crazy jumps that the wrestlers can make that creates drama. Giving injured wrestlers dibs on spots would take away from that, I think.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 28, 2013

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Kikkoman posted:

Sumo wouldn't be as exciting to me if it didn't have those stakes. It's the constant danger of demotion and the crazy jumps that the wrestlers can make that creates drama. Giving injured wrestlers dibs on spots would take away from that, I think.

The bigger problem, I think, is people faking injury when theyre having a bad basho. Thats why I dont think it should go away. That said, Masunoyama should get a freebie since he has a loving hole in his heart.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

TotallyGreen posted:

The bigger problem, I think, is people faking injury when theyre having a bad basho. Thats why I dont think it should go away.

if it's there to prevent that and it doesn't prevent that, then what's the point? and where do you draw the line for who deserves a break?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I can't be the only one who wants to see Baruto drop like 12 ranks due to injury and go through a few tournaments just annihilating 16-year-olds.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that actually would kind of own

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

that actually would kind of own

You'd notice that the ringside seats would be empty for his bouts due to the risk of 250lb projectiles coming their way.

I like the fluidity too, but my issue is with sending someone as old-school and honorable as Homasho down to Juryo when nobody would have blinked if he was "only" sent to 16W Maegashira. I mean, I can see Homasho being the kind of guy to commit seppuku over that if this was the 1600s. It has to be humiliating for him.

I can see it now for Masunoyama: wrestle himself to within an inch of heart-exploding death for the next two years until he makes Ozeki, fake injury for one basho knowing his rank is safe while he secretly gets his heart fixed, then come back with a Barry Bonds transformation.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

a false posted:

if it's there to prevent that and it doesn't prevent that, then what's the point? and where do you draw the line for who deserves a break?

Currently, while it doesn't prevent it, the only thing faking injury does for the Rikishi is save face. He still counts as losing every match. If he could say instead "oh, poo poo, I'm hurt, don't count these loses", it would happen much more and be much more destabilizing.

As for who needs a break? Don't draw the line. Keep the system as is. I was just lamenting the fact that Masunoyama, who has a legitimate, provable, non-sumo-related "injury" can't get it fixed without losing rank. He's the only person I'm aware of who I think should get an exception, but I agree that exceptions are problematic so he should probably just suck it up and take the loss of rank.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

TotallyGreen posted:

Currently, while it doesn't prevent it, the only thing faking injury does for the Rikishi is save face. He still counts as losing every match. If he could say instead "oh, poo poo, I'm hurt, don't count these loses", it would happen much more and be much more destabilizing.

As for who needs a break? Don't draw the line. Keep the system as is. I was just lamenting the fact that Masunoyama, who has a legitimate, provable, non-sumo-related "injury" can't get it fixed without losing rank. He's the only person I'm aware of who I think should get an exception, but I agree that exceptions are problematic so he should probably just suck it up and take the loss of rank.

I suspect he's assuming at some point he'll pick up a knock which will require him to take a break anyway and he'll get the surgery then

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
What kind of recovery time does surgery like that require? If it's extensive then there's no point to waiting to get hurt then doing it. Better to get it done, recover, get back while he's still young enough to bounce back.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Uber Kosh posted:

I'll be there on day 14 with a bunch of friends yay!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6sA_NVQbEE.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

A few spirited matches here and there, but a pretty sterile day 1. Still, I'm glad it's basho time again. I've really started to enjoy sumo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Let's see if I can put sort of a playlist together without spoiling it for myself... Youtube open on one page, sumo day 2 results with the window shrunk so I can't see the results on the other. Apologies if any vids don't work since I had to copy the urls by hand. You can go directly to Araibira's Youtube page and go in order as an alternative.

Also, apparently Homasho is still injured and not wrestling. So, it looks like them dropping him down to Juryo was partially so they still had a full roster of makuuchi wrestlers. Looks like he has at least 2 tournaments to get back to makuuchi if he continues plummeting down Juryo.

Day 2:
Daido/Wakanosato
Chiyonokuni/Sotairyu
Oiwato/Sagatsukasa
Shotenro/Sadanofuji
Tochinowaka/Masunoyama
Takarafuji/Jokoryu
Takekaze/Tamawashi
Aoiyama/Yoshikaze
Fujiazuma/Kyokutenho
Gagamaru/Toyohibiki
Okinoumi/Kitataiki
Toyonoshima/Kaisei
Aran/Shohozan
Goeido/Ikioi
Tokitenku/Baruto
Kisenosato/Myogiryu
Chiyotairyu/Kotoshogiku
Kakuryu/Aminishiki
Tochiozan/Kotooshu
Harumafuji/Tochinoshin
Takayasu/Hakuho

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 11, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Man, already missing Kintamayama's context...

Tokitenku v Baruto: Hot drat, what a move. I can't tell whose move it was at first, but that was an righteous throw by Baruto. He must be feeling better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Takanoyama vs Oniarashi :toot: