Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Casu Marzu posted:

I find it best with metal bowls as well as you need to shake the gently caress out of it. Shake it like it's a colicky baby that hasn't stopped crying for a month straight.

Like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3oc24fD-c

I feel like I've done exactly that and gotten nothing nearly as well-peeled as the result he shows in this video. Maybe I need to use a ton of garlic so there are more things for a single clove to rub against.

therattle posted:

I've got one of those rubber tubes that peels garlic like a treat.

Ooh I looked up that rubber tube thing and it gave me an idea. I'm thinking that the reason the bowl method doesn't work is that some bowls just don't have any "grip" on the garlic peels. So, just now I performed a little experiment and looked around the house for some rubbery things to throw in the bowls. I put this pearl baby teething necklace in there and shook up some garlic:

What do you know, it actually works! I guess my bowls are too smooth. Or it could be that the bowls were a little damp this time. In any case, holy poo poo, I'm going to be peeling garlic like crazy now.

On the downside, I probably just made the baby teething ring taste like pure garlic. poo poo. And they run about $30 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noni posted:

I feel like I've done exactly that and gotten nothing nearly as well-peeled as the result he shows in this video. Maybe I need to use a ton of garlic so there are more things for a single clove to rub against.

Ooh I looked up that rubber tube thing and it gave me an idea. I'm thinking that the reason the bowl method doesn't work is that some bowls just don't have any "grip" on the garlic peels. So, just now I performed a little experiment and looked around the house for some rubbery things to throw in the bowls. I put this pearl baby teething necklace in there and shook up some garlic:

What do you know, it actually works! I guess my bowls are too smooth. Or it could be that the bowls were a little damp this time. In any case, holy poo poo, I'm going to be peeling garlic like crazy now.

On the downside, I probably just made the baby teething ring taste like pure garlic. poo poo. And they run about $30 on Amazon.

That was a very good and a very bad idea. I'm impressed, you idiot!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
You're just getting your baby acclimated to the good stuff early.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Noni posted:

Can you not just do the garlicy hands trick and rub it on stainless steel under running water?

Unrelated, I've got an enamelled cast iron dutch oven (creuset) that has developed a few small pock holes in the enamel at the bottom of the inside. I've just rubbed a bit of oil over the bare iron patches and continued using it but I was told recently that I shouldn't use it once the enamel has started to go. I don't really see why because cast iron is fine to cook on and I'm pretty sure enamel is inert/non-toxic. I've tried google but it seems to range between telling me I'm fine or going to die of cancer or a perforated stomach and just throw the pan out. I'm really loathe to part with the pan, I love it and can't afford to replace it. I can't send it back to le creuset because, aside from prohibitive postage costs, my mum gave it to me and she got it in another country many decades ago.

The enamel seems to be wearing off gradually, not flaking off in glassy shards and the bare spots have not rusted. I trust goons more than google so am I ok to keep using it? If not is there any reason I can't just sand/dremel the enamel off and season the bare metal and go from there?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I just spent an hour making a set of custom spice blends for a cooking-challenged friend, and holy crap do my hands smell good. The last blend was fake Old Bay and the strongest note right now is celery seed. I may chew my own fingers off if dinner isn't ready soon...

Sad to say he's just going to use these to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts, but at least he won't be cooking them plain anymore :gonk:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You are doing God's work.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In case nobody wants to go so far as to make their baby teethe on garlic, I've found that the bowl shakey thing works better if you use larger bowls, presumably because the cloves can accumulate more velocity by flying a larger distance when being shaken.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Does anyone have any easy snack suggestions for what to do with a bunch of smoked mussels? I love them but I'm kinda bored of eating them from buttered crackers.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Make paella. Oooh, or throw them in some carbonara! I bet that would be delicious.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
My boyfriend eats like a three-year-old, and I'm over it. The only vegetables he eats are in the form of lettuce on burgers, tomatoes in pasta or pizza sauce, and the occasional cheesy broccoli dish. He constantly complains about upset stomach and intestines, and I think if he ate more vegetables and less pizza/cheeseburgers/cheesy pasta/cheese and rice, he could feel better!

I am looking for vegetable recipes that are preferably not raw, and that are simple and tasty. He doesn't like a whole lot of herbs and spices, and when I ask him exactly what flavors he doesn't like he says "I don't know, it's just too spicy."

Does anyone have any favorite toddler-approved veg recipes, beyond roasted or cheesy broccoli? Should I just pick a vegetable, roast it, and give it to him? What are some herbs/spices/flavors that I can incorporate that can make it more interesting, without alienating him completely?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Try roasted turnips, red onions, white onions, and zucchini with olive oil, rosemary, thyme. Might want to keep them on the big branches so the little guy doesn't choke on the pieces.

Also tell him "no seriously if you eat only lovely stuff you're going to be in gastrointestinal distress for the rest of your life, which will end at 50"

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sneak veggies into his lasagna? The traditional toddler treatment is to make the toddler think he or she is eating delicious non-vegetable foods, which secretly have a bunch of veggies in them. In the same vein, put carrots in the tomato sauce, maybe even serve him a "gourmet" burger with some greens that aren't iceberg. Maybe make him cheesy broccoli but at the last second it turns out oh no! There's cauliflower in there too!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

My boyfriend eats like a three-year-old, and I'm over it. The only vegetables he eats are in the form of lettuce on burgers, tomatoes in pasta or pizza sauce, and the occasional cheesy broccoli dish. He constantly complains about upset stomach and intestines, and I think if he ate more vegetables and less pizza/cheeseburgers/cheesy pasta/cheese and rice, he could feel better!

I am looking for vegetable recipes that are preferably not raw, and that are simple and tasty. He doesn't like a whole lot of herbs and spices, and when I ask him exactly what flavors he doesn't like he says "I don't know, it's just too spicy."

Does anyone have any favorite toddler-approved veg recipes, beyond roasted or cheesy broccoli? Should I just pick a vegetable, roast it, and give it to him? What are some herbs/spices/flavors that I can incorporate that can make it more interesting, without alienating him completely?

Man, I'm glad that my boyfriend will eat just about everything I put in front of him. My brother, not so much. To get him to eat vegetables when I lived at home, it would usually be some sort of roasted veggie. I'd usually not put anything on it aside from salt and oil, and maybe a dusting of parm/other hard cheese. For a while he was eating roasted asparagus, sugar snap peas (raw), bell peppers (not green), carrots (raw and boiled) and he'd gulp down steamed broccoli/cauliflower if he could drown it in soy sauce/salty poo poo. Bro's grown up since then and now his criteria is just being upfront with what's in what, because my mom would always sneak poo poo into brownies and stuff.

I'd probably try roasting: Cauliflower/Broccoli, Turnip, Sweet Potato, Squash, Bell peppers (not green), Carrots. Maybe Asparagus.
Boiling or steaming is also an option. It might be plain and unobjectionable enough that he'll eat it, instead of roasted where there would be different textures. Maybe during the change over give him a sauce that's either cheesy or sweet to dump on the veggies, but you know him better if he'd just stay stuck at the level where he'd eat more cheese than broccoli.

Does he like pickles? Maybe make some plain fridge pickles out of whatever.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Should I just pick a vegetable, roast it, and give it to him?

Yes.

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

What are some herbs/spices/flavors that I can incorporate that can make it more interesting, without alienating him completely?

NO!

He is clearly a supertaster, which means his taste buds are the opposite of subtle... to him, everything tastes like it's been turned up to 11. Health wise, the important thing is to get the green stuff into him, so for the short term I would just give up on taste. I would focus on getting him to accept different veggies, different textures, cooked simply with just a little salt. Try some lightly wilted spinach, and then try kale.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How about a nice beef stew? You can toss in carrots, green beans, even snow peas at the end.

I'd be leery of giving him a ton of greens really quickly though -- too much fiber will overload his system since he's not used to it and he'll just get gassy and constipated.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

NO!

He is clearly a supertaster, which means his taste buds are the opposite of subtle... to him, everything tastes like it's been turned up to 11. Health wise, the important thing is to get the green stuff into him, so for the short term I would just give up on taste. I would focus on getting him to accept different veggies, different textures, cooked simply with just a little salt. Try some lightly wilted spinach, and then try kale.
Upon what do you base that assessment? Super-tasters don't taste everything more intensely, only certain flavours like bitterness. They isn't to say that he might not have very sensitive taste buds. He might also just have the eating habits of a three year old.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

He is clearly a supertaster[...].
What? No. He's picky. There are some loose correlations between being a `supertaster' and avoidance of specific food tastes, but general aversion to vegetables isn't one of them. And for whatever it's worth, if you think someone might be a `supertaster' then spinach and kale are pretty bad bet as a way make them less picky---the leafy Brassicas are among the most commonly reported food avoidances among `supertasters'.

Anyway, I'm not sure that trying to force feed a picky eater is a great way to get them over their pickiness. Is he down with this exercise at all? If so, I'd suggest just getting different poo poo and letting him try a lot of different things---Chinese dry braised green beans, fried okra, asparagus and mushrooms with a balsamic reduction (is there a name for this?), different kinds of green salad, whatever. There's a shitload of variety in flavours, textures, mouthfeels, and so on in vegetable dishes. If he's willing to try poo poo and doesn't just hate food, there's bound to be something he can get behind. gently caress, take him with you to the grocers and have him pick out poo poo that looks interesting to him and then figure out what you can do with it. And if he's not down with the general gameplan, then you can probably give up now---if you've got someone that's convinced themselves that a food they haven't tried is going to be all icky and gross then chances are about ten out of ten that they'll think it's icky and gross when they try it.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Grate carrot into bolognese

If he eats broccoli in cheese, just steam some as a side

Roast some parsnips in honey (frankly, if he doesn't eat that, he's not worth keeping :colbert:

Tell him to man up and eat some loving vegetables and stop acting like a petulant child.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Trying more basic, sweeter veg might help. Stuff like carrots and peas and squash. Squash/parsnip/turnip/carrot mashed with lots of butter can be an easy entry if he doesn't mind mash in general.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Thanks for all of the responses!

Squashy Nips - We've tried the online tests and surveys and they say he isn't a supertaster, but who knows exactly what their efficacy is. He was raised on five things, all made from cans, and he still eats those five things. (Oh, I got him to eat chicken fried rice last week! Six things!) We both grew up and still live in the Midwest, so he's had a hard time breaking out of that diet.

SubG - Most of the time, he is down with eating better but as soon as I give him a spoonful of sauteed mushrooms or roasted carrots, he says he can't because "baby steps." We've been baby-stepping for three years.

Everyone else - I will try everything you recommended, and please keep the recs coming if you have any more ideas. He isn't pumped about the dishes with onions because they are "spicy," but sweeter/root/green vegetables should be a good place to make progress. Thank you!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Thanks for all of the responses!

Squashy Nips - We've tried the online tests and surveys and they say he isn't a supertaster, but who knows exactly what their efficacy is. He was raised on five things, all made from cans, and he still eats those five things. (Oh, I got him to eat chicken fried rice last week! Six things!) We both grew up and still live in the Midwest, so he's had a hard time breaking out of that diet.

SubG - Most of the time, he is down with eating better but as soon as I give him a spoonful of sauteed mushrooms or roasted carrots, he says he can't because "baby steps." We've been baby-stepping for three years.

Everyone else - I will try everything you recommended, and please keep the recs coming if you have any more ideas. He isn't pumped about the dishes with onions because they are "spicy," but sweeter/root/green vegetables should be a good place to make progress. Thank you!

I'm no help but I just had to say, I'm so sorry. :gonk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Considering how often English food gets mocked, just what exactly happens in the US midwest?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

A swing and a miss! Please disregard everything I said.

Scott Bakula posted:

Considering how often English food gets mocked, just what exactly happens in the US midwest?

Dark things... heinous things.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Scott Bakula posted:

We are born into a culture of third gen-Scandinavian church ladies, strip mall sushi, farming families, and lower/middle class working families.

I was lucky, because my parents are hippy dippy chiropractor/yoga teacher/energy healing folks by profession who traveled with me a lot, so I grew up eating food from all over the world. My boyfriend, on the other hand, grew up in a family with a mom stuck in the 70s: green bean casserole, tuna noodle ", enchilada ", french onion "; basically, everything is casseroles. Microwaves are considered a healthier mode of cooking than the stovetop, or at least that's what my home ec teacher taught us.

Growing up in small town Iowa, the Lutheran church Sunday supper was: baked ham, potato salad, corn relish, corn on the cob, hot hashbrown casserole, green bean casserole, marshmallow salad, stale bulk coffee, and some sort of bar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

marshmallow salad

What? :stare:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Soups might be a good way to do the veggies. Split pea soup, creamy asparagus soup, butternut squash soup.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Lock him in a basement with nothing but a stove, a spice rack, oils, a vegetarian cookbook and an assortment of veggies. Check back after a week.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/heavenly-pink-salad/

This is a classic Midwestern potluck recipe, although I have to say shredded coconut was far too exotic in my neck of the woods. See also: scotcheroos, kringla, and snickerdoodles (all are infinitely better than marshmallow salad, but not as ubiquitous :()

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Well the first thing you have to tell him is to buck up and get with the program! We can't let him go through life without eating healthy food like a good Scandinavian is meant to, don't you know. So here's a few recipe ideas:

Greenbeans cooked with bacon and onions
A fresh cucumber salad with dill (you can use a mayonaise dressing if you like, but Carl likes sour cream so I use that)
Roasted beets
Boiled cabbage with butter
Boiled lettuce with butter
Boiled kale with butter
Roasted brussels sprouts (my grandaughter introduced me to this and it's very good! You'll have to pick out the burnt bits, of course, for presentation)
What about a bowl of warmed up home canned tomatoes served with salt and pepper? That's my favorite!
And don't forget about canned fruit! It's a nice dinner with peaches, pears, or applesauce on the side.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

Well the first thing you have to tell him is to buck up and get with the program! We can't let him go through life without eating healthy food like a good Scandinavian is meant to, don't you know. So here's a few recipe ideas:

A fresh cucumber salad with dill (you can use a mayonaise dressing if you like, but Carl likes sour cream so I use that)
Roasted beets
Boiled kale with butter
Roasted brussels sprouts (my grandaughter introduced me to this and it's very good! You'll have to pick out the burnt bits, of course, for presentation)
What about a bowl of warmed up home canned tomatoes served with salt and pepper? That's my favorite!
And don't forget about canned fruit! It's a nice dinner with peaches, pears, or applesauce on the side.

Never stop posting, please :3:

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

Roasted beets
Boiled kale with butter

Thank you, Mrs. Gunderson! Oh, Marlys, you know from church, she says hi and wants to know how Carl is doing!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

You could make him disgusting marshmallow yams as a compromise.

Here is the "recipe"...

Seriously though, if you can get him to eat broccoli you should cook it differently than just steaming it. Pan-fried with a bit of chicken stock is deliiiicious, and if he's being a baby you can make cheese sauce too I guess. The stalks are the best part, they get really crisp and buttery and delicious. Replace the water with chicken stock in this recipe and salt to taste when the time comes.

Does he like lasagna/cannelloni with ricotta/cheese filling? I guess a better question is, would he try it? If so you can chop up a whole bunch of fresh, fresh spinach and ninja it into the filling. Also Nthing putting grated carrots in the sauce.

Cut it like this, it goes pretty fast and I feel like it can bruise the leaves less if you have crappy knives like I do:

I think you could make pizza and throw other various delicious veggies on it, like red peppers or mushrooms or whatever.

e: Mrs Gunderson makes a good point with the bacon! Brussels sprouts pan fried in bacon are fantastic too, though about 80% of the people in my family will not touch them.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 1, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Also, the fact that he thinks onions are too spicy makes me think that he might be open to them in other ways... just caramelized onions on a steak au jus, for example.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010
I grew up as a picky eater (parents didn't cook much, never made me eat something I didn't like the first time, etc.), and it's something that I've worked to overcome as an adult. There are still a bunch of foods I don't like yet, but at least it's not from lack of trying. :)

I would be pretty offended if someone tried to "trick" me into liking a food by sneaking it into another food, so I would avoid doing that unless he tells you that it would help him.

I think a study came out recently about how if you present a new vegetable to a baby, it may not like it the first time, but if you keep on with that same veg it will start to think it is the best loving food ever. My suggestion would be to choose together a "vegetable of the week" and then make that veg 3-5 different ways as a little side dish. Maybe you roast one night, saute with some garlic the next time, etc. Try to highlight some different flavors and textures with each variation. By offering the same thing through the week, his taste buds should get more used to that veg, and that initial, reflexive "ew gross" response should lessen. He might find something he likes! Or at least he may be able to tell you that raw carrots sucked but roasted ones were tolerable, instead of just "I hate carrots."

Good luck!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're a treasure, Mrs. Gunderson. Plus these are pretty good suggestions!

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

and snickerdoodles

There's a reason I keep making these for Secret Santa. It's one of the good homemade things ubiquitous to the area :3:.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's a good recommended method for Brussel Sprouts. I had some the other day that I honestly don't know how it was prepared it was seared black but had a bacon flavor to it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hollis posted:

What's a good recommended method for Brussel Sprouts. I had some the other day that I honestly don't know how it was prepared it was seared black but had a bacon flavor to it.

I like to blanch then place cut side down in a pan of rendered bacon fat until the bottom browns up nicely.

Or tossed with oil and garlic and roasted in an oven until the edges char.

Or chopped finely and sauteed with pepper flake and shallot and a bit of oyster sauce.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I find cauliflower, broccoli florets, and carrots to be pretty mild just plain raw. Particularly if you've got a dip for them. Hummus is nice. Even something like ranch is fine in small quantities, i.e. not so much that it overpowers the taste of anything else, since that's neither healthy nor does it help to get used to vegetable flavors.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Has anyone got a really good falafel recipe? I've tried a few but so far nothing that's been worth not just swinging by the local Lebanese hole-in-the-wall for takeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vagueabond posted:

Has anyone got a really good falafel recipe? I've tried a few but so far nothing that's been worth not just swinging by the local Lebanese hole-in-the-wall for takeout.
These are all basically equivalent and delicious:

http://www.haaretz.com/culture/food-wine/recipes-appetizers-sides-salads/modern-manna-recipe-israeli-falafel-balls-1.426255
http://cookieandkate.com/2012/baked-falafel/#more-5383
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/falafel-recipe/index.html
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/My-Favorite-Falafel-231755