Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Interesting. If you equip the Vitality Belt, Focus Belt, and the Tortoise Amulet you only have 90% less Defence instead of 85% like I assumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Alacron posted:

Yeah, it's not terribly intuitive and I figured it just by wasting months putzing around with the various options.

This game can be really awesome if you're using strategems properly, yesterday I got into a battle where Lu Bu and like 4 other officers were charging up the middle of the map decimating my guys, so I swung around a side route and made a bunch of quick captures until I got to the camp right outside the enemy's main base and the only place that was connected to their base. I used Base Fire to go for a quick capture, which cut off their entire supply chain and turned the whole map a nice blue color. Then I dropped an ambush on the camp, and waited Lu Bu and his pals to come waltzing in, and once they did I used Dragnet and captured almost all of them, including Lu Bu. Zhuge Who? :smug:

My favorite tactic is Bonds, because when you're surrounded nothings better than calling in your spouse and friends to just lay waste to half the generals on the map.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dawnfire posted:

edit:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
So is there an option somewhere to turn off running into player created character?

When you start a new game you can turn it off. You can also only allow characters you've tagged Favorite to show up EDIT OOPS I DIDNT READ YOUR WHOLE POST yeah I dunno then, it seems to be working in my game. I suppose worst case you can take your system off the network (probably)

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I have to say i'm finding the game pretty easy so far. I got promoted to Marshal earlier, so naturally my first act was to invade a territory by myself.

All normal generals die in 2 musou attacks, and due to how many enemies there are I am usually drowning in musou. I just took out all the generals then ran around crushing camps until I got to their main base and took it with no hassle. I think I miss all the dumb little side stuff like back on the PS2 DW games, where every map would have one or two special events and so on, and you used to have a bow and arrow haha.

In this you can still climb guard towers, but I don't really see why.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Thievery posted:

I have to say i'm finding the game pretty easy so far. I got promoted to Marshal earlier, so naturally my first act was to invade a territory by myself.

All normal generals die in 2 musou attacks, and due to how many enemies there are I am usually drowning in musou. I just took out all the generals then ran around crushing camps until I got to their main base and took it with no hassle. I think I miss all the dumb little side stuff like back on the PS2 DW games, where every map would have one or two special events and so on, and you used to have a bow and arrow haha.

In this you can still climb guard towers, but I don't really see why.

Yeah, if there's one thing that's very obviously unbalanced, it's Brave's Musou gain bonus, since, if you hit max level, just one attack string will get you a bar if you jump into a crowd. I sort of regret having my first playthrough be a Brave Officer on normal.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 1, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm playing affluent and it's the same for me, especially now that I have all of the items. This game is surprisingly easy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been playing the hell out of this game since it came out, about to finish up my second playthrough and man, I wish there was a way to make friendly AI not use strategems, or at the very least make them not use a strategem to convert my treasure base to a supply base. And lockdown too, its bad enough with the AI but if you got a jackass younger brother who thinks its hilarious to constantly lock you inside of a base :argh:

The lockout thing wouldn't be that big of an issue if bases had ladders and ramps that let you get outside of them, which was in another dynasty warriors game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Normal is pretty easy but if you kick it up to Hard every officer has health for days and murders you in three hits. Really wish there were some middle ground there. Or, heaven forbid, changing difficulties did more than just move a lot of numbers up.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Normal is pretty easy but if you kick it up to Hard every officer has health for days and murders you in three hits. Really wish there were some middle ground there. Or, heaven forbid, changing difficulties did more than just move a lot of numbers up.

This is the hugest complaint I have about every game ever. I mean, I get that it takes no time at all to just be like "oh hey lets just double his HP and call it a day" but the alternative is I suppose planning more advanced AI and poo poo like that while leaving the health the same. In Dynasty Warriors upping the number of enemies wouldn't do a thing either.

For me, I never ever get hit unless I don't move out of a musou fast enough or I get hit while i'm in midair (I use the sword+hook and most of the skills pull you into the air at some point, then after you do your air combo you have a fraction of a second where you can't do a thing and are easily juggleable). There was one officer that gave me trouble actually - Some female officer that going by the name was an in-game character, but had a unique appearance (actually the first female officer I fought I think, so maybe they all look like that) and she used a strat beforehand to make her invincible and unstunnable by attacks. I just ran away though and it negated it :shrug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Story trailer for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 featuring the new Pirate's Log and a bunch of the new playable characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZXwYo36AnI

And if you'd like to see individual character gameplay videos, here's part 1 and here's part 2.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing that's very obviously unbalanced, it's Brave's Musou gain bonus, since, if you hit max level, just one attack string will get you a bar if you jump into a crowd. I sort of regret having my first playthrough be a Brave Officer on normal.

Kind can be a bit challenging, though in practice it just means you kill officers more slowly, as a quick Unity burst will heal you to max health whenever you're in trouble. It works best when you have other branches to work with.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Story trailer for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 featuring the new Pirate's Log and a bunch of the new playable characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZXwYo36AnI

And if you'd like to see individual character gameplay videos, here's part 1 and here's part 2.

You know the thing about these trailers that gives me the most hope for the game? Absolutely no sign of the platforming segments from 1. Maybe they actually learned their lesson.

Edit: Also Trafalagar Law looks like he's gonna be an absolute blast to play as.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 1, 2013

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

iastudent posted:

One thing I've found that slightly annoys me is that changes you make to your characters' attire in a campaign don't automatically apply to how they appear in edit mode. You have to go back into there and manually change stuff if you've unlocked new clothes for example.

Not a big deal overall, just something I've noticed.

They do apply, but only if you complete the campaign and save at the end, all the changes you made to your character will be saved.

Edit: Also, as for you guys saying the game is too easy, I must be doing something wrong. My first run was a brave character on Normal, and yes I did have musos out the rear end, but on average it took about 5 to 6 muso attacks to kill even a normal general. I was using Zhao Yun's moveset and the only effective thing I could do was the sky drill attack over and over again, because nothing else would take out any significant amount of health

I had the best spear and all the damage buff items too. How do you increase your damage beyond that?

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 1, 2013

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I just started a Evil Ruler play though and man getting all your good officers sniped by other kingdom's recruiters because 6 of them are all angry at you is kinda the worst.

I guess I could probably fix it by just throwing parties 24/7?

Dramicus posted:

I had the best spear and all the damage buff items too. How do you increase your damage beyond that?

I'm guessing having an elemental effect that deals damage based on max HP?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man using Peerless is incredibly hilarious. It's basically YOU WIN: THE STRATAGEM. I've one shot enemy commanders using Peerless and the backbreaker musou.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man using Peerless is incredibly hilarious. It's basically YOU WIN: THE STRATAGEM. I've one shot enemy commanders using Peerless and the backbreaker musou.

Peerless was awesome, but when you're low on resource you're better off with Raid. Seriously, I can take the 5 Food and Info cost, but the 10 Gold pretty much made me shelve it until late game.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I'm suuuuuuper excited to play the new Pirate Warriors game, but I don't want to have to wait this summer. I have some questions:

Will the english version have japanese VA options?
Can I buy the JP version from the JP PSN?
Should I buy the first one while it's $25 if I'm going to buy the second in a few months?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

mango sentinel posted:

So I'm suuuuuuper excited to play the new Pirate Warriors game, but I don't want to have to wait this summer. I have some questions:

Will the english version have japanese VA options?
Can I buy the JP version from the JP PSN?
Should I buy the first one while it's $25 if I'm going to buy the second in a few months?

Koei doesn't do English dubs anymore so yeah. If there's a digital version then you could buy it from the PSN, DW7 Empires and DW8 both got PSN releases in Japan so you can bank on it. $25 isn't too bad, I've almost got Platinum in it but the game really feels incomplete.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My worries about copied weapon sets (or a bunch of them being DLC) in DW8 were unfounded, it seems there are 70+ weapon types. Hell yeah.

edit: also, this time, your character's level is pre-adjusted to the stage difficulty in story mode, so if you were using Guan Yu for the first three stages and suddenly want to use Liu Bei, he isn't at level 1, he's at level 12 or whatever.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 1, 2013

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Policenaut posted:

Koei doesn't do English dubs anymore so yeah. If there's a digital version then you could buy it from the PSN, DW7 Empires and DW8 both got PSN releases in Japan so you can bank on it. $25 isn't too bad, I've almost got Platinum in it but the game really feels incomplete.
PlayAsia has the physical copy of PW2 listed as $90, which is stupid. Do I need a game card to download from Japanese PSN or can I just use my credit card?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

PlayAsia has the physical copy of PW2 listed as $90, which is stupid. Do I need a game card to download from Japanese PSN or can I just use my credit card?
No. Same as most other businesses in Japan, online or otherwise, you need a credit card with a Japanese billing address, which is 100% bullshit. I actually contacted a company once to ask why that was, and they said it was a security measure, they're worried about foreign scam artists. Because you know, no Japanese person could ever be a scam artist.

edit: and then I wrote an email to Visa saying hey, Japanese retailers are completely screwing with your marketing, since you're trying to portray Visa cards as being usable everywhere, no matter where they were issued. All they could say is that retailers are free to put their own security measures on top of Visa's own if they want to.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 1, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I've taken to doing all the defensive battles against my kingdom just by myself, and i'm at a stage where i'm fighting guys with practically 2 lifebars. I can kill them in like 2 combo attacks.

It's pretty dumb. The moment that I found out you could equip every item you bought (I thought it was one at a time :downs:) was the moment that I went from tiny god to proper god.

I read earlier in the thread that someone was having trouble fighting or something, saying how it took them a load of musou's just to take out regular generals. For me, it's never taken more than 2 to kill a general (who wasn't like Lu Bu or the end boss of a level), maybe the issue is the musou that you're using. I have Flashbang (loads of sword cuts infront of you, does a buttload of damage) and whatever the Lightning Dropkick is called (I think it's the one Liu Baby has it, not sure) which is ridiculous though a lot harder to aim than Flashbang. If you get the orb that gives you +elemental damage, you can 1 shot generals with the dropkick sometimes.

The weapons I am using are the Thunder Sword and the Sword + Hook, both of which are killer. The Thunder Sword is the god of crowd control really, with its light x5 > heavy attack being a massive AOE wave knockback that slows people.

--

Back to defensive battles though, I was doing one earlier and was sticking to my side of the map - it was an awkward one to maneuver around, and I only had 5 minutes left until I won it anyway. Then I decided to try and win properly, when I had just under 4 minutes to go, and managed to take 4 bases and the main camp :smug:.

I did one after where I took out all the generals, got to the enemy base camp and realised one of my bases wasn't linked up. I had an ambush troop in the base camp just chilling out fighting guys so I ran back up to the camp I didn't have, took it, and won the battle as I did so. Turns out the ambush troop had been keeping the main base at 0 and the enemy general didn't have time to spawn before I won.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a reason for me to assign prefects at all? I guess they defend the territory they're the prefect of? Doesn't seem that way though, I was the strategist of a kingdom that had a few prefects and a territory was under attack, I spent a turn getting my troops maxed out and the game says "This territory is under attack, the prefect is leading the defense. Turns until the territory is lost: 2". That doesn't sound like assigning a prefect will allow me to take a break and not having to always defend every territory ever (Which I have no problem in doing so I'm really not seeing why I should assign a prefect).

I guess in the same vein is there any reason to assign a marshal or a strategist when I'm the ruler? Again one playthrough I assigned a marshal and didn't get a strategist till the very end, and in another one I had neither and nothing seemed to change.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Having a prefect defend a territory makes it so that any attackers will lose troops for every turn that you don't go into a defensive battle. The prefect themselves will also lose troops but having one officer lose 2000 troops to inflict 2000 troop damage on 7-8 enemy officers seems like a pretty awesome trade off to me.

Most of the time it seems like the attackers will call off their invasion on the third turn because they don't have enough troops, and then they're wide open for you to invade them because they've taken so much damage in their attack while most of your officers are probably fresh. Same goes for if they don't call it off, to turns of fighting with the prefect will have lowered their troop count enough for an easy win on your part.

I know that being a marshal or strategist gives you special advantages, but I don't know what those do if you're playing the ruler.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Leal posted:

Is there a reason for me to assign prefects at all? I guess they defend the territory they're the prefect of? Doesn't seem that way though, I was the strategist of a kingdom that had a few prefects and a territory was under attack, I spent a turn getting my troops maxed out and the game says "This territory is under attack, the prefect is leading the defense. Turns until the territory is lost: 2". That doesn't sound like assigning a prefect will allow me to take a break and not having to always defend every territory ever (Which I have no problem in doing so I'm really not seeing why I should assign a prefect).

I guess in the same vein is there any reason to assign a marshal or a strategist when I'm the ruler? Again one playthrough I assigned a marshal and didn't get a strategist till the very end, and in another one I had neither and nothing seemed to change.

I think they show up in endings. I know I assigned Pang Tong as my strategist and he popped up during my ending. Other than that, hell if I know.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Is there some sort of system in place that puts officers from other empires into your game more prominently?

I realise that sounds odd, but basically I started the yellow turban thing as a free agent then joined Liu Yan's kingdom. After fighting for him for ages and becoming sworn brother with the Strategist of the kingdom, I used my recruit ability and ended up recruiting Xiahou Dun. He's always been one of my favourites so I got him into my cool empire. After a little bit of fighting and so on, I ended up fighting against this CAW from another player, who after capturing joined our forces. Ever since this point, in every Skirmish it's always been her and Xiahou Dun on missions with me, even when it says there won't be any other allies, and once after a fight I had Xiahou Dun call me over and basically compliment me on the battle in a cutscene. Nothing came of it, but it happened. Now i've just started another battle and the female CAW called me over in a scene before it and told me to be careful and come back in one piece.

I'm sworn brothers with Xiahou Dun now, but haven't levelled my relationship with her and it's the same as half the other generals in the army. I can also edit her outfit in the tailor in town which was a pretty neat feature. I guess maybe the game looks at who you recruit and assumes you did it because you like them, then makes them more prominent which is pretty cool, but i'm not sure about her. Maybe it's because I captured her, or maybe just a thing unique to CAW's. She's the only one in my kingdom aside for my main guy.

edit - VVV The friendship rating with her has been D for the entire duration of the game.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 2, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

Is there some sort of system in place that puts officers from other empires into your game more prominently?

I realise that sounds odd, but basically I started the yellow turban thing as a free agent then joined Liu Yan's kingdom. After fighting for him for ages and becoming sworn brother with the Strategist of the kingdom, I used my recruit ability and ended up recruiting Xiahou Dun. He's always been one of my favourites so I got him into my cool empire. After a little bit of fighting and so on, I ended up fighting against this CAW from another player, who after capturing joined our forces. Ever since this point, in every Skirmish it's always been her and Xiahou Dun on missions with me, even when it says there won't be any other allies, and once after a fight I had Xiahou Dun call me over and basically compliment me on the battle in a cutscene. Nothing came of it, but it happened. Now i've just started another battle and the female CAW called me over in a scene before it and told me to be careful and come back in one piece.

I'm sworn brothers with Xiahou Dun now, but haven't levelled my relationship with her and it's the same as half the other generals in the army. I can also edit her outfit in the tailor in town which was a pretty neat feature. I guess maybe the game looks at who you recruit and assumes you did it because you like them, then makes them more prominent which is pretty cool, but i'm not sure about her. Maybe it's because I captured her, or maybe just a thing unique to CAW's. She's the only one in my kingdom aside for my main guy.

I imagine you just have a high friendship rating with her. Participating in battles with people increases it a little bit, saving them when they're in trouble increases it a lot. There are other things that influence it too.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Is there a way to change difficulty in dw7:e after you've already started a campaign?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Wish there was a way to tell if your character gets used in another person's campaign, and to see what your character ended up doing. After a bit of editing as I went, I got my main officer to a point where I'm happy with her look/moveset. Makes me want her to go off and help/bother other people's games as a Shu officer.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

edit - VVV The friendship rating with her has been D for the entire duration of the game.

Almost sounds like a bug then. I think you're only supposed to get the "please be careful :swoon:" thing at really high friendship. Or at least that's only when I've gotten it.

Does anyone know if you actually have to upload your character from the Extras menu or whatever for them to show up in others' games? It doesn't really make it clear.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Almost sounds like a bug then. I think you're only supposed to get the "please be careful :swoon:" thing at really high friendship. Or at least that's only when I've gotten it.

Does anyone know if you actually have to upload your character from the Extras menu or whatever for them to show up in others' games? It doesn't really make it clear.

Maybe. Who knows.

As for the other thing, when I finally finished the campaign I got told that it had saved my characters play style based off how I was playing or something but nothing about whether it had uploaded it or not. I don't really know what will happen if my guy goes into other games considering my "play style" was "Be Lu Bu, only more badass".

Also I remembered about the yellow turban guy called He Man, and made Adam of Eternia to replace him :allears:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

Maybe. Who knows.

As for the other thing, when I finally finished the campaign I got told that it had saved my characters play style based off how I was playing or something but nothing about whether it had uploaded it or not. I don't really know what will happen if my guy goes into other games considering my "play style" was "Be Lu Bu, only more badass".

Also I remembered about the yellow turban guy called He Man, and made Adam of Eternia to replace him :allears:

I've seen theories from other people that it will make that character (when AI controlled) develop in a way similar to the way you did. The same weighting of fame types and the same strategems they had when you made that clear save. Something like that? Nothing about it in the manual.

Also the manual mentions that there's an option to turn officer deaths on or off when setting up a new game but I don't have that option in the menu. :confused:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

I've seen theories from other people that it will make that character (when AI controlled) develop in a way similar to the way you did. The same weighting of fame types and the same strategems they had when you made that clear save. Something like that? Nothing about it in the manual.

Also the manual mentions that there's an option to turn officer deaths on or off when setting up a new game but I don't have that option in the menu. :confused:

I had the officer death thing. For me it was just when I went to Empire Mode > New Game, and then on that menu with all the other stuff like unlock items and so on.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Officer death is in the new game menu under the CAW options but doesn't appear until after you beat the game once.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why did they get rid of Xingcai's fork, anyway? Did they decide it was too silly? In a game where other characters wield lightning fans, boats, wire claws, giant pinwheels and so on?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hey Samurai Sanders how's the framerate looking in DW8? Better than the last few?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

Hey Samurai Sanders how's the framerate looking in DW8? Better than the last few?
Same as 7, it seems to switch between 30 and 60 depending on the number of enemies on screen. Unlike 7 though, it occasionally drops way down due to environmental effects like fire.

Also they seem to have discovered both colored lighting and environmental audio effects in this game. They've finally reached late 90s-level game development! Let's have a round of applause!

edit: It appears that single-target musous like Shima Yi's can now target things like tanks and ballistas and stuff.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 2, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've decided to finally plat Basara 3, I got a couple of doozies left to pick up, see you in 3 months

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going through an evil ruler playthrough and holy gently caress, these strategems are stupidly powerful. Did Koei really think your non evil/spouse/sworn sibling officers randomly defecting is a good equalizer :psyduck:?

Explosions and poison mist pretty much solo entire bases. I can stand next to 4 officers and do nothing and they'll all die. I outright routed 5 officers with base trap, I mean sure I had to lose the base for it to happen but its not like the base has 5 officers defending it anymore for me to just take it right back. Seriously, I am just boggled by how stupidly powerful the evil strategems are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Yeah, I once got explosions from our empire's strategist. It's seriously the most overpowered thing in the game. It killed every officer nearby me when I rushed a main camp. I didn't even get to swing, they were dead in 3 seconds. Oh, and it sets the base on fire for good measure. The best part is you can use up a turn if you have enough wise fame to load it up for yourself anytime you want, too. So you can pretty much circumvent the downsides of evil fame and get the best stratagem from it at the same time.