Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

has this guy just re-invented comment blocks?

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

a) if you can't think of a single loving funny thing to say about a link don't post it
b) who cares, literate programming is fine, it's one of the reasons org-mode in emacs is so loving awesome

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont totally get why the overloading thing is such a thing

is it really that useful? i mean i get the ideas of simple indicators of complex things like vector multiplies, and why it'd be easy to work with, but how often is it really used

i guess it's used for implementing smart pointers in c++? but mostly i care because a bunch of poo poo like
C++ code:
cblas_daxpy(nk*nz, alpha, X, 1, Y, 1);
is way worse than
C++ code:
y += alpha * x

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

That thing from 2 or 3 pages ago posted:

See, Microsoft very intentionally (and very successfully) created .NET to be as different as possible from everything else out there
lol what

yes nothing like "a better java" at all

wondering if this guy's worries have been driven by employees that are unable to learn new tools

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
as someone who proudly shuns interaction with microsoft technologists, allow me to point out

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

horse mans posted:

b) who cares, literate programming is fine, it's one of the reasons org-mode in emacs is so loving awesome

i don't believe there's any software written using literate programming besides tex

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i don't believe there's any software written using literate programming besides tex

thats because the idea of literate programming is stupid

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

"augh typing is so hard I hate it!. I'm not writing a novel here!" - why people love operator overloading

guy steele advocated for the addition of operator overloading in java in the late 90s, as well as datatypes that would act like primitives.

the question is how much should one be able to grow a language in a seamless way.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the question is who the gently caress cares, just write an add() method and be done with it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
seriously a lot of god drat awful opinions about teaching programming

here's the loving thing. it's like you want to teach people how to write by forcing them to learn how to typeset in hotmetal instead of giving them crayons.

it's like you think the only way to learn how to be a programmer is to teach them everything you know now upfront. education driven by nostalgia, hindsight and regret. you are bad people.

for fucks sake, I know you all hate your jobs but you don't have to take it out on people who want to make the computer do fun and stupid things, rather than learn about intel registers, segfaults and backwards poo poo.

if they can't do something fun and immediate with the code, they're not learning, they're suffering.

you prescriptive bastards can just gently caress right off. i'm sorry that the people after their first week won't be able to write enterprise middleware, or device drivers, but, christ.

ugh I leave this thread and look at it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thats wehy i said basic

just let them do GOB'S PROGRAM Y/N and then expand on that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

if they can't do something fun and immediate with the code, they're not learning, they're suffering.

it can be both.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if someone wants to make the computer do fun and stupid things, that's great, there are a wide variety of things they can do here in these our modern times.

but we're talking (or at least I was talking) about cs101 courses.

if we're talking on teaching 8th graders, then you're right.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tef posted:

for fucks sake, I know you all hate your jobs but you don't have to take it out on people who want to make the computer do fun and stupid things, rather than learn about intel registers, segfaults and backwards poo poo.

the problem with this in the US is that this idea works great in theory until people have to learn stuff that matters, simply can't cut it, and are already out thousands and thousands of dollars because the courses they were in dicked around with python scripts instead of using a "real" language

going to medical school isn't fun, but people do it because it's loving hard/pays well/is important for the future, so why shouldn't the same be expected of CS students? college isn't about doing fun poo poo, it's about learning poo poo with the intention to utilize it to earn a good salary

rotor posted:

if someone wants to make the computer do fun and stupid things, that's great, there are a wide variety of things they can do here in these our modern times.

pretty much this. if you want people to be able to do poo poo that's strictly python or web dev or whatever, there should be more emphasis on the differences between software engineering and computer science degrees, because it's a large part of why people come out of school and can't do poo poo because CS programs do not teach you how to write applications.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

teaching things from first principles isn't a controversial idea

lol

right class, we're going to teach you mathematics, but first, before we add 2+2 we have to learn category theory.

Mr Dog posted:

This is a very powerful thing because it makes the standard library look like convenient shorthand instead of black magic.

yep, in the same way most programmers need to understand how intel chips take your assembly and then do crazy poo poo behind the scenes. who gives a gently caress if someone manages to write a program without totally sperging about the details. abstraction is just a series of convenient lies.

the thing about black magic, is that's how people loving learn. you approximate, you fudge, you use words without knowing the full context, etymology or derivation, and we get along just fine. you can't demand that people learn how to program from the flipflops up, even if your crazy sperg brain can only see that way

seriously, the only thing I want to beat into you guys, that how you learn is not how everyone else should learn, what you think is important is not what they think is important. get over it, other people have different problems they want to solve.

really all you show when you prescribe a package of suffering for learning is project your regret. you say 'we should teach this way' and mean 'i wish I learned in this order'.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

yeah when I hear "how do we teach programming" I mean, to actual people

rather than "what should a computer science course start with"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

seriously, the only thing I want to beat into you guys, that how you learn is not how everyone else should learn, what you think is important is not what they think is important. get over it, other people have different problems they want to solve.

yeah everyone's a unique snowflake but you know what? im not writing a new lesson plan for every fuckstick who walks in the door. you want someone to teach you programming, get in loving line. otherwise go off and do whatever you wanna do, poo poo's not that hard.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

yeah when I hear "how do we teach programming" I mean, to actual people

define actual person

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

my gf was required to take 1 programming course for her engineering degree, and it was C

I'm sure learning how to tokenize c strings will be useful some day?

what a loving waste of time

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gucci void main posted:

going to medical school isn't fun, but people do it because it's loving hard/pays well/is important for the future, so why shouldn't the same be expected of CS students? college isn't about doing fun poo poo, it's about learning poo poo with the intention to utilize it to earn a good salary

or: no-one should learn first aid because real medicine is hard.

maybe am I the only who thinks that maybe learning to code even a little might help people use computers effectively, even if it's just simple automation or scripting.

rather than just teaching monks how to illuminate scripts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

my gf was required to take 1 programming course for her engineering degree, and it was C

i had the same experience with differential equations

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

define actual person

anyone who doesn't post in this thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but you dont hear me bitching about it online by proxy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

anyone who doesn't post in this thread

i texted u btw

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

yeah everyone's a unique snowflake but you know what? im not writing a new lesson plan for every fuckstick who walks in the door. you want someone to teach you programming, get in loving line. otherwise go off and do whatever you wanna do, poo poo's not that hard.

it is not that everyone is a snowflake, but frankly, people in this thread are beyond outliers. it is not to the extent of customize the course around each individual, but: there is a world outside of your head, and take other people into account.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

i had the same experience with differential equations

me too

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

i texted u btw

i got it :3: i will bug you about lunching next week

tomorrow i'm going to the internet archive for lunch

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
oh hey cool i can start reading this thread again

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

gently caress coffeescript, moonscript

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Toady posted:

gently caress coffeescript

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
aside: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10057671/how-foreach-actually-works/

:psyboom:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

the c course is for engineering majors here as well, but the fact that they are engineering majors is enough of a reason to avoid focusing on strings, the very first three labs they do are:

• write a program that reads a number (use gets or whatever we don't care now) and determines if it has a prime factor other than 2, 3, or 5.
  • write a menu-driven yatzee-game, you are given a list of functions into which the solution must be broken (e.g. int throwDice(int numberOfDice) etc.)
  • your program is given an input file of the following form ... (gives height, width, four float temperatures and a tolerance), compute the temperature distribution on a rectangular plate in a vacuum where each the north edge is fixed to the first temperature, the east to the second, etc. by computing the temperature spreading across the plate in a height*width grid, run the simulation until the total grid change in one iteration is less than tolerance. Dynamic memory management, using structs, and proper use of functions is now required.
  • (more here but now they are getting annoying to type out)

making the labs even artificially related to their field of study is a really good start in inspiring students a bit. c has worked out better than i expected, though extremely hard to diagnose errors, like memory corruption, is still too big an issue for it to be quite worth it.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

is there a big :psyboom: because this merits it

and for teaching people with no math background some amount of programming i'd pick logo because it lets you make pretty things quickly

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

combine this with BDD and specs for frontend apps will look real neato :allears:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It doesn't really matter how you teach programming because nobody cares whether the bottom 30% or the bottom 60% of the class drops the course. They'd all be bad programmers anyway.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

It doesn't really matter how you teach programming because nobody cares whether the bottom 30% or the bottom 60% of the class drops the course. They'd all be bad programmers anyway.

Because the people who come out of a programming course came in to it already knowing how to program.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
That's not really true.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

right class, we're going to teach you mathematics, but first, before we add 2+2 we have to learn category theory.

Category theory isn't first principles. Some mathematicians are retro fitting it as a foundation, but basic mathematics is taught from a foundation of peano arithmetic and universal algebra.

quote:

Yeah, and what I'd like you to learn is that chucking something with a non-trivial grammar at someone will lead them to make a lot of mistakes that can be very hard to recover from.

quote:

really all you show when you prescribe a package of suffering for learning is project your regret. you say 'we should teach this way' and mean 'i wish I learned in this order'.

Another word for suffering is challenging. Students who are not challenged will not learn, this is like lesson one in teacher training.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

That's not really true.

I'd like to believe it but I've never seen a counter-example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

I'd like to believe it but I've never seen a counter-example.

my sister had never done any programming before college and is in her third year of a math/CS major