Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

SGSIII running CM10.1: What recovery should I flash to get the automatic install from CyanDelta to work. Whatever version of CWR I'm running now (flashed it back in like November) just boots with an error message and then I have to manually select the delta zip.

CWM should work if you flash the latest but TWRP will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

nimper posted:

That is probably a backup, I think. TWRP itself does not take up 7 gigs.

Just confirming, yes the twrp folder is were backups are stored

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Dyscrasia posted:

Just confirming, yes the twrp folder is were backups are stored

There are probably multiple backups there. Just delete the oldest ones and keep the most recent.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nobody here has used UnrEVOked to successfully fix the low space warning on their Incredible? I don't know if I should keep banging my head against this wall.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Nobody here has used UnrEVOked to successfully fix the low space warning on their Incredible? I don't know if I should keep banging my head against this wall.

Not to be an rear end but basically everyone here replaced their Incredible a long time ago; the phone is almost three years old. From what I remember of the DInc, can't you just uninstall some apps and/or clear data for some apps to free up some space?

And yeah, you should definitely steer clear of HTC for your next phone, especially if you stick with Verizon.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hirayuki posted:

Dunno if there's any reason it would behave differently for you on the DInc, but the way I've taken care of that while dragging my nearly as old Evo kicking and screaming in to the 4.x era is installing Apps2SD and using a nice big partition on a 32GB SD card. I have more install space on my Evo than my Kindle Fire thanks to that.

That said you probably should replace it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 1, 2013

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

Not to be an rear end but basically everyone here replaced their Incredible a long time ago; the phone is almost three years old.
Yeah, I know. :sigh: We drive our cars into the ground, too; my Corolla is 14 years old. Like my Corolla, my Incredible does everything I need it to do--but it has this one stupid quirk I'd love to fix if I could.

Penguissimo posted:

From what I remember of the DInc, can't you just uninstall some apps and/or clear data for some apps to free up some space?
To some extent, but it's not a permanent fix. The /data/data/ directory shared by all applications is hard-coded at 150 MB, and when it reaches 90 percent capacity, the phone essentially stops doing nonessential things like sync E-mail--even when you try to manually sync. You can clear out some data, but not much, and it'll just fill up again, sometimes within minutes. You can see how that would be irritating. Rooting it would allow me to increase the size of the directory such that I would be hard-pressed to fill it.

Penguissimo posted:

And yeah, you should definitely steer clear of HTC for your next phone, especially if you stick with Verizon.
drat. Time to look at Samsung, I guess? I'm not too fond of Motorola's phones. Thanks for the heads-up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Geektox posted:

CWM should work if you flash the latest but TWRP will work.

I recall hearing that the latest version of CWM was really buggy or something. Is it safe-ish now? I'd love to have a recovery with touch interface!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, I know. :sigh: We drive our cars into the ground, too; my Corolla is 14 years old. Like my Corolla, my Incredible does everything I need it to do--but it has this one stupid quirk I'd love to fix if I could.

I hear ya, man. I have a '97 Corolla with over 200K miles on it...that thing is going to outlive me.

Hirayuki posted:

To some extent, but it's not a permanent fix. The /data/data/ directory shared by all applications is hard-coded at 150 MB, and when it reaches 90 percent capacity, the phone essentially stops doing nonessential things like sync E-mail--even when you try to manually sync. You can clear out some data, but not much, and it'll just fill up again, sometimes within minutes. You can see how that would be irritating. Rooting it would allow me to increase the size of the directory such that I would be hard-pressed to fill it.
Oh sorry, I misread what you were looking to do. I meant deleting apps as a temporary workaround to let you install the update, but if it's also giving you day-to-day trouble, then some kind of apps2SD solution is really your only hope :(

Hirayuki posted:

drat. Time to look at Samsung, I guess? I'm not too fond of Motorola's phones. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, Samsung is not quite the laughingstock they were a couple years ago...people seem really happy with the GS3 and the Note 2. Motorola is also putting out some nice phones these days, so it might be worth looking at their stuff again. We've thankfully come a long way since the days of the Fascinate and the DX2.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 1, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I recall hearing that the latest version of CWM was really buggy or something. Is it safe-ish now? I'd love to have a recovery with touch interface!

Not sure, I've been using TWRP all this time. It has touch too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Fixing this, as Penguissimo says, would take an A2SD solution which isn't difficult if you're rooted and trivial if you're on CM7.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

nimper posted:

There are probably multiple backups there. Just delete the oldest ones and keep the most recent.

Thank you for getting up 6 gigs on my phone

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
In CM10.1 is there any way to get rid of the stupid audio nagging thing when you turn the volume up more than halfway with a headphones? I ended up going back to CM10 stable because it happens every time you plug them in and I use the volume control on the headphones anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

In CM10.1 is there any way to get rid of the stupid audio nagging thing when you turn the volume up more than halfway with a headphones? I ended up going back to CM10 stable because it happens every time you plug them in and I use the volume control on the headphones anyway.
It just stopped doing it for me a few nightlies ago.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Fixing this, as Penguissimo says, would take an A2SD solution which isn't difficult if you're rooted and trivial if you're on CM7.
Most people can solve this problem by clearing out their Twitter and Facebook data; I don't use either, so I don't have two massive chunks of dead weight to delete for an easy fix. I did move as many apps as I could onto my SD card: everything that would go willingly and without breaking widgets. I'm going to try to move some other stuff off of there (at one point Winamp would not find or play media anywhere but on the SD card) to buy me more room and more time. So far, so good.

I'm still thinking of rooting it, though, if only to uninstall the bloatware and delete what appears to be a massive, pointless logfile in /data/data/com.android.htcprofile. The advice and suggestions here have made me feel more positive and confident about the process, and hell, if it all goes wrong, I get to buy a new device! Thanks, everyone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Most people can solve this problem by clearing out their Twitter and Facebook data; I don't use either, so I don't have two massive chunks of dead weight to delete for an easy fix. I did move as many apps as I could onto my SD card: everything that would go willingly and without breaking widgets. I'm going to try to move some other stuff off of there (at one point Winamp would not find or play media anywhere but on the SD card) to buy me more room and more time. So far, so good.

I'm still thinking of rooting it, though, if only to uninstall the bloatware and delete what appears to be a massive, pointless logfile in /data/data/com.android.htcprofile. The advice and suggestions here have made me feel more positive and confident about the process, and hell, if it all goes wrong, I get to buy a new device! Thanks, everyone.
Be aware that recent updates (lol) may have broken old methods of rooting the Incredible. Back in 2010 it was pretty easy but I have no idea what the current state of things are on that device. You also probably prefer a Sense-based ROM since you're happy with the device as it is and CM7 (the only ROM of that era I'm familiar with) looks and behaves nothing like Sense. I will say that on my old Nexus One, a very similar device to the Incredible, that CM7 was and is pretty much perfect and is still running great on the device to this day but it might not be your cup of tea.

In the end, rooted stock might be what you want but I'm not positive what people settled on for an A2SD solution. With CM7 there was a one-stop app that set it all up in the background for you but in the absence of that you might have to do a bit of fiddling to get it working.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
Hello, I had 4.1.1 on my Galaxy SIII and rooted it fine, then did some extra stuff and soft bricked it. Its fixed now though. However, before all this rooting interest began, I did the OTA a few weeks ago to Jellybean, my phone started acting slow as poo poo. Now I'm rooted on ICS, and am thinking about using Kies to go back to Jellybean and then rooting AGAIN , to see if installeing Jellybean on a stock ROM will make it faster. Should I just stick with my rooted ICS? Is Jellybean notoriously lovely on the S3?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

-B l a z e i n g- posted:

Is Jellybean notoriously lovely on the S3?
It's fine on the North American (Snapdragon) model, have no idea about the international (Exynos) one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

-B l a z e i n g- posted:

Hello, I had 4.1.1 on my Galaxy SIII and rooted it fine, then did some extra stuff and soft bricked it. Its fixed now though. However, before all this rooting interest began, I did the OTA a few weeks ago to Jellybean, my phone started acting slow as poo poo. Now I'm rooted on ICS, and am thinking about using Kies to go back to Jellybean and then rooting AGAIN , to see if installeing Jellybean on a stock ROM will make it faster. Should I just stick with my rooted ICS? Is Jellybean notoriously lovely on the S3?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's fine on the North American (Snapdragon) model, have no idea about the international (Exynos) one.
Google "galaxy s3 jelly bean slow", it's notoriously bad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For you people with Motorola RAZR MAXX's: (not MAXX HD)

What's a good ROM to use?

I just got one and rooted it, really want to clean out all this poo poo in the apptray... previously I was using a Thunderbolt with LiquidSmooth, which I liked a lot... I plan to eventually probably use LauncherPro (maybe) but definitely use Beautiful Widgets and stuff like that. I'm not familiar with Motorola's default Droid loader... doesn't seem completely awful, though there's already stuff that's annoying me, like the unlock screen and how it only has one quick-app bar.

Another question: If I had Titanium Backup on my old Thunderbolt and backed up certain programs, specifically ES Task Manager's old 4.3 (I think) version that was before they ruined it and turned it into poo poo, could I transfer that stuff over to this new phone? I didn't bother with Backup Assistant crap at all via Verizon because it seemed redundant since I Google cloud saved all my contacts, which were the only really important thing. I was planning to use my TBolt's SD card, however, since it's 32 gigs, and was wondering if I need to wipe it or if I can just shove it into the RAZR as is and Android would be fine with the directory structure, which I'd like to assume is universal, but then again different phone manufacturers, so who the hell knows.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Don't use LauncherPro, it's old as poo poo and hasn't been updated in ages. Use Nova or Apex on 4.0+.

You should be able to just stick the old SD card in, run TBup, and restore any apps you want.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Don't use LauncherPro, it's old as poo poo and hasn't been updated in ages. Use Nova or Apex on 4.0+.

You should be able to just stick the old SD card in, run TBup, and restore any apps you want.

Excellent.

I've gotten so used to Launcher is the main issue. I'll probably try out your suggestions, though. Would you say there's any value to flashing a custom ROM? I mean, I'm coming from what amounted to a really stripped down Gingerbread ROM, so even ICS is a new ballgame for me, and I have no idea what Jellybean has over it. I figure if I'm going to take the plunge, might as well do it now before I start getting stuff setup the way I like it. The other issue is that LiquidSmooth on the Thunderbolt didn't actually support the GPS properly, so I actually had to stop using it for the last year or so, which was actually pretty annoying sometimes... I'd like to grab some ROM that has all the features enabled and won't magically break my camera or something. Anyone know of any good ones out there?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I know absolutely nothing about the razr maxx itself aside from it's fantastic battery life.

Nova and Apex have all the features of LauncherPro and tons more, and are a million times smoother.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I used Kies instead of ota and it's really fast now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

I'm using CyanogenMod jelly bean on my AT&T S3 and have absolutely no speed issues.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
I used the root injected version of at&t jelly bean so maybe that is why, idk. I noticed the mobile data option got removed from the pull down and put into the other options menu, is that a glitch

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm using CyanogenMod jelly bean on my AT&T S3 and have absolutely no speed issues.

That's because they were talking about speed issues with the stock OS.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

Excellent.

I've gotten so used to Launcher is the main issue. I'll probably try out your suggestions, though. Would you say there's any value to flashing a custom ROM? I mean, I'm coming from what amounted to a really stripped down Gingerbread ROM, so even ICS is a new ballgame for me, and I have no idea what Jellybean has over it. I figure if I'm going to take the plunge, might as well do it now before I start getting stuff setup the way I like it. The other issue is that LiquidSmooth on the Thunderbolt didn't actually support the GPS properly, so I actually had to stop using it for the last year or so, which was actually pretty annoying sometimes... I'd like to grab some ROM that has all the features enabled and won't magically break my camera or something. Anyone know of any good ones out there?

Just install the jellybean ota and root. Stocks super solid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Just install the jellybean ota and root. Stocks super solid.

I just rooted ICS... I assume I can't update now, is there like a download version of it somewhere? The XDA forums are mostly worthless.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

I just rooted ICS... I assume I can't update now, is there like a download version of it somewhere? The XDA forums are mostly worthless.

Google. There's 500 places with the ota.

And download ota rootkeeper. There is a thread at xda on updating but the short is you backup root. Hide unhide hide root then update. Plus I think there's a new root for jellybean. Droid forums maybe? I'm on my phone with no bookmarks. But Google it a bit.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
Doesnt rooting with the root injected tar file allow you to OTA,and just lose root? Thank you

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

What's the real benefit of having Jellybean, anyway? I have no idea what the differences are between all the builds after Gingerbread, which was the first to be actually "different" and as far as I could tell was mostly cosmetic and a bunch of tablet compatibility stuff.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Just a forewarning to you fellas, franco kernel on 4.2.2 is pretty bad for the N4. I'm back to stock kernel as the battery life is considerably better, I don't lose data during calls, or get a random reboot. This was with r93, will try back in a few weeks. Franco was great on 4.2.1 though and I'm sure these issues will be fixed. I even have franco kernel on my old optimus t running cm7 and it's SOLID.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

What's the real benefit of having Jellybean, anyway? I have no idea what the differences are between all the builds after Gingerbread, which was the first to be actually "different" and as far as I could tell was mostly cosmetic and a bunch of tablet compatibility stuff.

Its faster. Battery is about the same. Google now. Plus other optimizations. New notifications. Tons of poo poo. Its like a new phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Project Butter is the biggest thing, and it really did make a huge difference to responsiveness and general smoothness.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

z06ck posted:

Just a forewarning to you fellas, franco kernel on 4.2.2 is pretty bad for the N4. I'm back to stock kernel as the battery life is considerably better, I don't lose data during calls, or get a random reboot. This was with r93, will try back in a few weeks. Franco was great on 4.2.1 though and I'm sure these issues will be fixed. I even have franco kernel on my old optimus t running cm7 and it's SOLID.
You act like he's doing all this work just to make your device run better when all he did for the N4 was merge the Code Aurora fixes. Since Qualcomm hasn't released a giant batch of fixes for the 4.2.2 kernel he's back to just turning on or off the features he does for any other device.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

LastInLine posted:

You act like he's doing all this work just to make your device run better when all he did for the N4 was merge the Code Aurora fixes. Since Qualcomm hasn't released a giant batch of fixes for the 4.2.2 kernel he's back to just turning on or off the features he does for any other device.
I realize this.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fuzz posted:

Google's Android site is atrocious. You can have a look at the features, spread over all these pages with ambiguous URLs!

4.1 overview: http://www.android.com/options/
4.2 overview: http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

4.2 in detail: http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/
(If there's a 4.1 version of this I sure can't find it)

4.1 and 4.2 features for developers, might give you an idea of what apps can do that requires Jelly Bean:
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

Google's Android site is atrocious. You can have a look at the features, spread over all these pages with ambiguous URLs!

4.1 overview: http://www.android.com/options/
4.2 overview: http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

4.2 in detail: http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/
(If there's a 4.1 version of this I sure can't find it)

4.1 and 4.2 features for developers, might give you an idea of what apps can do that requires Jelly Bean:
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

To be fair, Google is kinda new at the whole internet thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

z06ck posted:

I didn't much care for his 4.2.1 builds either. I've tried them all the 4.2.2 kernels except for trinity kernel (I don't know why but I just haven't tried it), my favorite was harsh for awhile but then I started randomly dropping my mobile data connection. I've settled with Motley's B40.