Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Or like 90% of the population he fills it with enough flavored non-dairy creamer that it becomes mostly not coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Me in Reverse posted:

Or like 90% of the population he fills it with enough flavored non-dairy creamer that it becomes mostly not coffee.

To move the subject off that tangent, am I the only one who sometimes gets a hankering for a sweet creamy "coffee"? That's how I started drinking coffee, and have since moved on to drinking it all black, but sometimes it'd be great to say gently caress it and drink a liquid dessert.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Doh004 posted:

To move the subject off that tangent, am I the only one who sometimes gets a hankering for a sweet creamy "coffee"? That's how I started drinking coffee, and have since moved on to drinking it all black, but sometimes it'd be great to say gently caress it and drink a liquid dessert.

I did that when I drank stale coffee from a can. Now that I know how to make coffee that tastes like coffee there's no urge to put anything sweet in it. Of course I think adding milk ruins the taste too no matter how pretty you make it, so my opinion is clearly not in the majority.

Which is not to say that a sweet, hot drink can't be great. Good hot chocolate is amazing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Doh004 posted:

Add a shot of espresso to a pair of scoops of vanilla ice cream, fill with steamed milk until desired level of thickness is reached.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

MrEnigma posted:

The bags the green beans come in are plastic, but have lots of tiny holes in them for ventilation. As long as you don't keep them too long, and keep them in a stable environment they should be ok.

Yeah, I'm wondering why they don't sell those as well. I kept a few from my deliveries and they are very handy.

I hate everyone here that can make latte art. :smith:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Doh004 posted:

I drink Starbucks sugarmilk poo poo all the time. It's just different.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering why they don't sell those as well. I kept a few from my deliveries and they are very handy.

I hate everyone here that can make latte art. :smith:

Me too, I've never been good at it. I'm pretty sure it's largely because the steam wand on my machine is terrible though. That and 90% of the time I'm doing it with skim milk which isn't great for microfoam.

Here's a couple macchiatos from yesterday morning.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Doh004 posted:

Even with good coffee, I tend to use a hint of sugar and milk still. It's a lot less than I used to use (both because the coffee is better, and I want to use less sugar), and I appreciate black coffee fine, I just prefer it with a hint of milk and sugar.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I started taking my coffee black because I was too drat lazy to figure out how much sugar/cream to put into my coffee to make it taste good :v:

It snowballed from there.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

rockcity posted:

Me too, I've never been good at it. I'm pretty sure it's largely because the steam wand on my machine is terrible though. That and 90% of the time I'm doing it with skim milk which isn't great for microfoam.

Here's a couple macchiatos from yesterday morning.

Those look exactly like mine. I have an aftermarket Gaggia Latte Art wand on my rig, which I never, ever use the shroud on. I learned to froth on a single-opening wand and got good at tight foam on it so the shrouded panarello stye wands drive me nuts with the bubbles. Anyway, I've gotten to where I can get a pretty solid wet paint consistency out of the milk each morning, and can sometimes pull some passable art when pouring a latte for the Mrs, but I can never get anything approaching art going in a macchiato cup.

Oh, and the mrs mocks me. Says the foam spots with the crease "look like a butt". :)

Alleric fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 27, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doh004 posted:

Hell yes. Every Saturday and Sunday I go down to a good cafe and get a full fat latte and I love it. I just drink black on weekdays.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Alleric posted:

Those look exactly like mine. I have an aftermarket Gaggia Latte Art wand on my rig, which I never, ever use the shroud on. I learned to froth on a single-opening wand and got good at tight foam on it so the shrouded panarello stye wands drive me nuts with the bubbles. Anyway, I've gotten to where I can get a pretty solid wet paint consistency out of the milk each morning, and can sometimes pull some passable art when pouring a latte for the Mrs, but I can never get anything approaching art going in a macchiato cup.

Oh, and the mrs mocks me. Says the foam spots with the crease "look like a butt". :)

Oh I don't even bother trying when doing a macchiato, that was basically just a straight pour. Plus there is so little milk foam in one that there isn't much time to do a whole lot. I'm using a baby Gaggia for my machine and have basically the same wand and I don't use the shroud either. I think I threw it away even. I think mine just doesn't produce enough steam power to get a solid microfoam going. The sad thing is that every time I get it in my head that I want to try some latte art, my milk comes out mediocre, yet when I go to froth up some milk for something like chai tea or even to throw a splash in hot chocolate or something, I seem to get a real nice consistency. Murphy's milk law I guess.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've gone through a pound of Black Cat Classic in the past week and a half and haven't pulled a single good shot. A couple were decent, right volume in the right amount of time and a nice steady stream, but kind of thin and with a bit too much acidity. Most have been total garbage and got dumped in the sink. I'm pretty frustrated, can't figure out if I just don't like the blend or if there's some magical combination of grind/dose/temp that I haven't stumbled across.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I know Sweetmarias says they chose beans each day for their samplers, but how often does that mean they're different varieties? I'm very happy with what I got in my last sampler pack, nearly two months ago. Now that I actually looked that up, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get the same beans (even if I did I'd be happy) but has anyone ordered samplers more often, and how much do the beans differ? I'm not to the point where I know what I prefer enough that I'd be able to select something from their regular offerings...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've ordered a handful of sampler packs and don't remember ever getting a repeat.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

withak posted:

I've ordered a handful of sampler packs and don't remember ever getting a repeat.

Same here, I've ordered three 4lb samplers and I've had no repeats. That reminds me, it's almost time for another order.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

nm posted:

22grams coffee to 360 grams water.
Stir at 1:30 min in. Stir right before draining.

I wet the grounds.
30 seconds
dump the rest of the water
1:30
stir
3:58
stir
drain

Thanks for this. I didn't bloom the coffee before, and it seems to have helped a bit. Also wasn't really stirring, as I found out - what I thought was the bottom of the dripper was actually the coffee bed. :downs:

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Archer2338 posted:

Thanks for this. I didn't bloom the coffee before, and it seems to have helped a bit. Also wasn't really stirring, as I found out - what I thought was the bottom of the dripper was actually the coffee bed. :downs:
Oh, wait. You're supposed to stir up the coffee bed on the second stir? I haven't been doing that.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Loucks posted:

Edit: If you're just starting home roasting their sampler pack is great.

Thanks. This looks great; I'm going to try a sampler pack instead.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

that Vai sound posted:

Oh, wait. You're supposed to stir up the coffee bed on the second stir? I haven't been doing that.

Well, I'm not sure (it'd help with the draining, I guess?), but I don't think I was stirring well on the first stir either, as I'd sort of skim the top a bit.

Also, with other pourovers... I love it, but I suck at using the hario because I have terrible fine motor control, and my kettle (bonavita) doesn't seem to have a flow limiter. Should I try a bonmac or a kalita wave or something? The Kalita seems to be of a similar price to ceramic bonmacs, and it definitely looks more stylish.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Archer2338 posted:

Well, I'm not sure (it'd help with the draining, I guess?), but I don't think I was stirring well on the first stir either, as I'd sort of skim the top a bit.

Also, with other pourovers... I love it, but I suck at using the hario because I have terrible fine motor control, and my kettle (bonavita) doesn't seem to have a flow limiter. Should I try a bonmac or a kalita wave or something? The Kalita seems to be of a similar price to ceramic bonmacs, and it definitely looks more stylish.

I ghetto crimped the spout on my bonavita a little bit with pliers. It's made it much easier to control. Also try to stabilize yourself by lightly holding the lid with your other hand.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I blame every last one of you.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I blame every last one of you.

That re-minds me, I need to order one-way valve bags when I place my next sweet marias order.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Either of you guys use the one-way tins? I love them. It's like the beans go into stasis for a week (and in some cases longer). They still have a shelf life, of course, but I've had beans that from experience needed to rest for a good 3 days after roasting. Stored them in one of the tins for a week and when I tried to brew on them they were behaving like I'd just roasted them.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally decided to try my hand at roasting. I picked our household popcorn popper, and a half-pound bag of Kenyan AB beans that I've probably been holding on for way too long (I think I bought them mid-August).

Anyway, here are my results:

I think I may have it somewhere along a full city roast, but I'm not sure. Non-flash picture for reference:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Alleric posted:

Either of you guys use the one-way tins? I love them. It's like the beans go into stasis for a week (and in some cases longer). They still have a shelf life, of course, but I've had beans that from experience needed to rest for a good 3 days after roasting. Stored them in one of the tins for a week and when I tried to brew on them they were behaving like I'd just roasted them.

I use small lock and lock containers. I have some that are quite small and hold about maybe a cup's worth of beans so it leaves little room for air in the container after a batch of roasting. Works pretty well for me. I roast in small quantities though because I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee so I go through that in maybe 4 days or so and then roast up some more.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I just press the spout of my kettle to a knife or fork and I get a much more controlled pour by letting the water trickle down the knife.

I am trying so hard not to break down and start roasting.. Idon'thavethetimeforthatshit. Idon'thavethetimeforthatshit.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mojo1701a posted:

I finally decided to try my hand at roasting. I picked our household popcorn popper, and a half-pound bag of Kenyan AB beans that I've probably been holding on for way too long (I think I bought them mid-August).

Anyway, here are my results:

I think I may have it somewhere along a full city roast, but I'm not sure. Non-flash picture for reference:

Looking good man. I'd say (it's tough to judge from pictures) that you went a bit past FC+ but not too far. Let us know how they are :)

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

le capitan posted:

I am trying so hard not to break down and start roasting.. Idon'thavethetimeforthatshit. Idon'thavethetimeforthatshit.

You don't have 10-15 minutes a day to spare? I was in the same boat as you thinking time would be an issue, but I quickly discovered it's not a big time suck. I use an air popper, so my small batches take about 5-6 minutes each and I can do 2 or 3 batches in 15-20 minutes with short cool down periods for the popper. I find it therapeutic and it leaves my garage (where I roast) smelling amazing!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I suggest looking into the heat gun and dog bowl method. You can do upwards of a half pound at a time in 15 minutes.

Make sure to use the correct size bowl for the amount you want to roast, I'm using a 64oz flat bottom dog bowl for a half pound.. cost $5. The Wagner heat gun suggested in the thread can be found at home depot for $25.

Edit: re: one way valve tins from SM - very nice! Lightweight, solid, good seal on the lid and plenty of capacity. A half pound fills it about half way, maybe a little less. For $5 I don't see how you can go go wrong.. I'm even considering buying a few for family as reusable containers for my gift roasts, instead of the bags.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 28, 2013

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Well I suppose I'll be going over to the hardware store tomorrow... loving coffee thread.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Seriously, half pound batches are really easy with the gun and bowl methodology. You can even do full pound batches with a little more agitation effort, only expanding the roasting duration by a couple of minutes.

If I find about 30 mins of free time to throw some tunes on out on the patio and go roast, I can get 2lbs going (one for me on the Gaggia, one for the mrs on her drip) easy peasy.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
is q-tip+baking soda+salt the magic combo against spro teeth, or am i scratching the enamel off my teeth?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
How loud is the heat gun? I'm thinking of trying this out; but before I spend crazy money on a heat gun I want to make sure I'll be able to hear the coffee crack. (I'm thinking of putting the spare behmor cage I have on a spindle and crank so I can rotate it and roast with the gun. Of course I'm using all this as an excuse to acquire a heat gun and for science.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

porktree posted:

How loud is the heat gun? I'm thinking of trying this out; but before I spend crazy money on a heat gun I want to make sure I'll be able to hear the coffee crack. (I'm thinking of putting the spare behmor cage I have on a spindle and crank so I can rotate it and roast with the gun. Of course I'm using all this as an excuse to acquire a heat gun and for science.

They are not as loud as a hairdryer, at least the crappy harbor freight one I have isn't.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

porktree posted:

$20 for a heat gun is relatively sane :). There's some noise but you will have no problem at all hearing the cracks.

Also. Not too sure about using the basket, I keep the heat gun very close to the beans, 1" away until first crack.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 1, 2013

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doh004 posted:

Looking good man. I'd say (it's tough to judge from pictures) that you went a bit past FC+ but not too far. Let us know how they are :)

Oh, can do!

It came out not too bad: acidic, but not overly so. Unfortunately, it's not all that complex, because it seemed a little empty on the end. I used a French press, if it matters.

Still, next time I may try a lighter roasting time, or a different set of beans. I never realized this was that easy, so I may just find a good set of beans, buy a 5lb bag every so often, and roast a week's worth at a time.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm having a curious issue with my (relatively new) french press: I have to let the coffee cool down for a while or it'll taste really bitter. As it cools the bitterness clears right up. The obvious prime suspect is water temperature, but it's not too hot according to my cheapo ebay thermometer and I've never had this happen with the CCD, so I don't think that's it. Also, if the water was too hot shouldn't the coffee always taste bitter, be it hot or cold?

I guess I could simply allow the coffee to cool down, but it's pretty cold around here this time of year. I'd like my coffee hot, not just warm.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, can do!

It came out not too bad: acidic, but not overly so. Unfortunately, it's not all that complex, because it seemed a little empty on the end. I used a French press, if it matters.

Still, next time I may try a lighter roasting time, or a different set of beans. I never realized this was that easy, so I may just find a good set of beans, buy a 5lb bag every so often, and roast a week's worth at a time.

I think acidic implies that they were under-steeped and not necessarily poorly roasted. I used to get perfectly roasted beans (from Gimmie! Coffee) and still manage to make sour coffee by loving up the french press process in my bleary-eyed morning haze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Baratza's got refurbs of pretty much everything back in stock.

Encore for $85
Virtuoso for $150
Preciso for $239
Vario for $360
Vario-W for $440