Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GD_American posted:

Worked for me for 2 years.

Word.

Its looking like I'm chilling with a friend in Portland for a year and either going to Portland State or one of the community colleges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I just got my first ch 33 payment and....it's 323$. What gives?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
When did you start classes? It's pro-rated.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

So I was checking my bank account and uh this showed up:

I am pretty sure that is wrong. I wonder who exactly I need to talk to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Forward me your bank information, I'll take care of it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Did they accidently pay you tuition directly? Lol I'd love to hear why they did this

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

1-888-442-4551.

There's a possibility this isn't in error, but it's likely a significant overpayment unless they've been shortchanging you and an audit discovered it.

DO NOT SPEND A PENNY OF THAT MONEY UNLESS THEY CLEAR IT.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
:stonk: Have you not been paid in like ten months? Don't touch it, obviously, and call the education number. Mash buttons until you get a human and explain.

I got $100,000 once as a private instead of $1,000. They took forever to take it back.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

:stonk: Have you not been paid in like ten months? Don't touch it, obviously, and call the education number. Mash buttons until you get a human and explain.

I got $100,000 once as a private instead of $1,000. They took forever to take it back.

Hahaha oh man I wonder how many people have been hosed because they can't control themselves when an obvious error is made or just think "nah bro they paid me its mine"

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Heh. Did you save the LES for that one?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

DoktorLoken posted:

Heh. Did you save the LES for that one?

I printed off ATM receipts and impressed girls. Worked.

More than a few people said "DUDE! They gave it to you, it's the law it's yours! Habeus corpus and stuff dude! Buy me a charger!"
That's a word for word quote.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm currently at my schools VA office and we are on hold to find out if this is an over payment. I know not to spend it, the first person we spoke to said there isn't a debt on my account but I think the VA hasn't caught it yet. I'm trying to resolve this asap... well as fast as the va goes.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Not sure if this is common knowledge already but BAH increases/decreases take effect for Post-9/11 folks on August 1st instead of January 1st. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any extra BAH since the rate in my area went up $150.

Source: http://www.gibill.va.gov/community/announcements/general.html

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 1, 2013

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, the VA goes by the academic year which starts 1 August.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

KetTarma posted:

When did you start classes? It's pro-rated.

January 28th

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Well, I just got off the phone with the VA and apparently I was eligible for a kicker that I paid into and they pay it out in lump sums. This fuckin owns as I just paid off my last car payment and am now debt free.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nice, Neil.

I just filled out my form for the 911. I did pay in 1200 into the MGI bill when I joined. What happens with all of that business?

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nice, Neil.

I just filled out my form for the 911. I did pay in 1200 into the MGI bill when I joined. What happens with all of that business?

Yeah that doesn't get you a kicker. The 1200 gets refunded to you after you exhaust your chapter 33 benefits.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nice, Neil.

You get it back when you use up all your benefits.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's cute how 98% of dudes who put up their school/major info did so in a format. We're such all trained government monkeys.

Anyhow, PLANES has the list and will be adding it to the civvie monthly thread OP. Probably contact him to get on the roster if you haven't gotten me your info. Good day, all.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I don't believe in lists maaaaaaaaaaaan

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

genderstomper58 posted:

I don't believe in lists maaaaaaaaaaaan

But we're all chummy here so why not, mokey?!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

holocaust bloopers posted:

But we're all chummy here so why not, mokey?!

too many commies and trannies mate

ar15.com has private mil circlejerk forums but they're mostly full of literally retarded infantrymen so i still fit in best here tho ;(

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So here is a question. It's going to take me 3 more semester to graduate. My eBenefits site says that I still have 12 months and some change left for my 100% eligibility. Seeing as Fall/Spring really takes about 9 months off that leaves me with 3 months left for that last semester.

What happens there? Does the 9/11 still cover the tuition/fees since it's paid at the start of the semester and I only get the BAH that I'm covered or what?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zomodok posted:

So here is a question. It's going to take me 3 more semester to graduate. My eBenefits site says that I still have 12 months and some change left for my 100% eligibility. Seeing as Fall/Spring really takes about 9 months off that leaves me with 3 months left for that last semester.

What happens there? Does the 9/11 still cover the tuition/fees since it's paid at the start of the semester and I only get the BAH that I'm covered or what?

Fall/Spring is usually 3.5 months of time, actually. So that would likely leave you with ~5 months of benefits left, or just about enough time to finish.

In any case, should you ever come up short, even if you have ONE day left, you basically go into benefit overtime. The VA still pays the school and still pays you. At the conclusion of your 'overtime' you will have fully exhausted your benefits.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone have experience with the Illinois Veteran Grant and how it works with the Post 9/11?

Specifically, the IVG covers 120 credit-hours of tuition and mandatory fees at any Illinois state college/university, and since the Post 9/11 also does that I'm wondering how they interact. My county VA rep said (and I quote) "everyone uses both and pockets the GI Bill" but holy poo poo that can't be right, can it?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
As far as I know the tuition portion of the GI Bill can't be paid directly to you, but I'm not the expert in this thread. It might be more a case of the opposite, where GI Bill pays the tuition and whatever grants you would receive just go into your bank account. That's how it works for me at least - I'm getting $4,000/quarter in grants that go directly to me while the VA pays my tuition bill (and BAH!) :kamina:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Looking at when I will finish my undergraduate degree, I figure I'll have about 4 months worth of 9/11 GI Bill benefits left over. I intend on going to graduate school afterwords, but the tuition is covered by the school and I get a yearly stipend.

Should I just use those four months of benefits for the BAH, or do you think there is some better way to use them? Also, would I get my
MGIB refund after exhausting my 9/11 GI Bill while in grad school?

Money's gonna be TIGHT - just trying to figure stuff out.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
You do get the GI Bill refund when you use it up yeah, I actually got mine while I was still doing my last GI Bill semester. Can you do voc rehab? That'll give you 1 year and 4 months of moneys~

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

Looking at when I will finish my undergraduate degree, I figure I'll have about 4 months worth of 9/11 GI Bill benefits left over. I intend on going to graduate school afterwords, but the tuition is covered by the school and I get a yearly stipend.

Should I just use those four months of benefits for the BAH, or do you think there is some better way to use them? Also, would I get my
MGIB refund after exhausting my 9/11 GI Bill while in grad school?

Money's gonna be TIGHT - just trying to figure stuff out.

Four months of benefits is likely two semesters worth, so it's probably a good idea to use them and then stock up on cash via loans or other means.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Vas, what's the policy on classes that are semi-distance and BAH?
I want to do this program when I graduate:

http://www.ee.sc.edu/AcadProgram/Apogee.shtml posted:

A Program of Graduate Engineering Education (APOGEE) exists to allow working engineers to complete a Master of Engineering degree by taking courses on a part-time basis, at a location convenient to them, while continuing full-time employment. Through APOGEE, some of the same courses taken by on-campus students are delivered via streaming video. All standard University facilities are available to APOGEE students, including computers, laboratories, and libraries.

The EE curriculum for APOGEE students focuses on modern power systems, including topics in power electronics, controls, and electromagnetics.

Most APOGEE students pursue the professional Master of Engineering degree, which requires 30 hours of course work beyond the B.S. At least half of those hours (minimum 15 hours) must be taken in EE courses numbered at the 700 level or above. A maximum of 15 hours of other courses numbered at the 500 level or above may be credited to the degree.

Some students may be accepted into the Master of Science (thesis-track) degree program. For those students, the thesis can count as 6 of the required 30 hours of graduate coursework, but then at least half of the course hours other than thesis (i.e. 12 hours) must be taken in EE courses numbered at the 700 level or above. Students are cautioned that it may be difficult to complete a thesis without frequent visits to campus to consult with their thesis advisor.
Students in the program view their classes via streaming video provided through the University Instructional Service’s server. At the start of each semester, a password for each course is generated and distributed to the faculty. Faculty members pass on the password to all assigned students.

Would this be considered an online class or brick and mortar? or would it be up to my VA rep?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Vas, what's the policy on classes that are semi-distance and BAH?
I want to do this program when I graduate:

Would this be considered an online class or brick and mortar? or would it be up to my VA rep?

It would be up to your VA rep, but it looks like that is a hybrid course. Which gets...complicated. We rate our hybrid courses as on-campus, because they have to meet at least twice in a 16 week semester.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Why don't you wait until you get a bachelor's and see if your company has a program that will pay for it? A lot seem to.

on a personal level why the gently caress would you wanna go to grad school we've done enough school hehe

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'm trying to decide if I want to burn my GI bill on summer school classes or save it for grad school since I'll have about 120 days left over.

Also, I know I'm going to have to go to grad school eventually. I might as well do it when the material is still fresh.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

I'm trying to decide if I want to burn my GI bill on summer school classes or save it for grad school since I'll have about 120 days left over.

Also, I know I'm going to have to go to grad school eventually. I might as well do it when the material is still fresh.

Why do you think you need grad school? Real talk, most engineers who go to grad school here are foreign students, they actively beg American students to come because most don't due to fairly easy employment. Most employers don't want to deal with Visas and poo poo so foreign bros can't find jobs nearly as easily. What can you do with a master's in engineering that you can't with a bachelor's? I know they'll pay you more obviously, but to go to R&D and stuff most places seem to want a PhD, so master's just seems like a pay raise.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Nevermind.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

genderstomper58 posted:

Why do you think you need grad school? Real talk, most engineers who go to grad school here are foreign students, they actively beg American students to come because most don't due to fairly easy employment. Most employers don't want to deal with Visas and poo poo so foreign bros can't find jobs nearly as easily. What can you do with a master's in engineering that you can't with a bachelor's? I know they'll pay you more obviously, but to go to R&D and stuff most places seem to want a PhD, so master's just seems like a pay raise.

Talking to people that work as EEs in the local area, most of them say that their company wants them to go to grad school part time. "I am working on my masters one class at a time" seems to be the common theme.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

Talking to people that work as EEs in the local area, most of them say that their company wants them to go to grad school part time. "I am working on my masters one class at a time" seems to be the common theme.

O ok

Just seems like grad school while working isn't a big problem so rest easy mate! : - )

around here most people ask about EIT and if PE is a goal more than grad school, which makes sense to me

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

No one really cares about PE for EEs it seems. The only time you see it is in job postings where they say "Must have a degree in electrical engineering or similar that is FE eligible for EE"

I have no idea why they word it like that since South Carolina doesnt allow engineering technology degrees to take the FE unless they jump through impossible hoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Ah ok, they play it up for MEs a lot which is fine because its a long term goal of mine

Honestly I think the FE would be way too much for the vast majority of nukes with those um.....lesser degrees because engineering degrees are so much more in depth. Wouldn't know what the hell to do with the majority of formulas

• Locked thread