Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Since updating windows (7) this morning, occasionally when I load a web page some of the text will look like this (the titles):

It goes away if I scroll it past the screen, click it, highlight it or anything else that interacts with it. It also doesn't happen everywhere or with any consistency.

Any idea what might be causing it? It's a mild annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

The overall field that studies this is "Business Geographics." This would include deciding where to place restaurants based on their geographical location (ex. an IHOP would do well here but not a Pizza Hut.)
Thanks!!
I am not a business major but I find this very interesting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nighthand posted:

Since updating windows (7) this morning, occasionally when I load a web page some of the text will look like this (the titles):

It goes away if I scroll it past the screen, click it, highlight it or anything else that interacts with it. It also doesn't happen everywhere or with any consistency.

What browser? And is clear type turned on?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If I want to keep two very large plaintext files (50-100 MB) in sync on two Linux servers without uploading the entire thing from one server to the other, what should I use?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Probably rsync, unless you're interested in versioning as well, in which case I'd use something like git.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

FCKGW posted:

What browser? And is clear type turned on?

Firefox 19.0 and, after some searching, Cleartype is indeed on.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Nighthand posted:

I have experienced an identical issue, and I have no idea what to google to figure out what's going on. FF19/Win 7/Radeon 4850 here. You are not alone.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Try setting gfx.direct2d.disabled in about:config to true.

Edit: it's a Firefox advanced settings page. Type about:config in the address bar, locate gfx.direct2d.disabled and double click it.

Shy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 1, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That seems to have fixed it for me. I'll post again if it keeps happening. Thanks!

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Shy posted:

Try setting gfx.direct2d.disabled in about :config to true.

Edit: it's a Firefox advanced settings page. Type about :config in the address bar, locate gfx.direct2d.disabled and double click it.

Many thanks. This fixed it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is there somewhere I can read about the crystal structures of various metals and alloys and how it affects their usage?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm in a dire need of a notifying computer program for Windows Vista. It'd have to be able to store many events/alerts (I think 200 at the very least), appearing on the designated date with at least a few memo lines available to each one of them , and be able to be very persistent in its notification system. I think Vista has those note system that can be pinned to the desktop, but I need something that would hide quietly until it's needed and then blare the alarm, so that it's impossible to miss/ignore - if the user had to write something in the alarm window and choose the response taken, it'd be great, but I wouldn't require miracles from free software. Are there programs that would suit my needs?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Where can I buy some red/blue 3D glasses for like $5?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Josh Lyman posted:

Science museum gift shop?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Josh Lyman posted:

Dollar Tree has these things:

They fit over regular glasses.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Noni posted:

Dollar Tree has these things:

They fit over regular glasses.

:psyduck: But that's not how 3D TVs do 3D.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've never played any of the Pokémon games, but I've noticed when I've seen them at times that in the game, the word "Pokémon" is written all in capitals, except for the letter E, like "POKéMON". What's the reason for that?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'd guess to save space for that accent.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Why does my windows 7 computer take forever to open my downloads folder?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tiggum posted:

I've never played any of the Pokémon games, but I've noticed when I've seen them at times that in the game, the word "Pokémon" is written all in capitals, except for the letter E, like "POKéMON". What's the reason for that?

All proper nouns in the series (or at least the early generations) are written in all capitals for some reason, but doing that leaves no room for the acute in 'é'.

It's probably one of those cases where something was done for practical reasons in the early years and then grandfathered in as a stylistic choice once they moved to systems that are more than capable of rendering 'É'

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I posted a car on Craigslist - a 90's nissan for $1500 - and have been in contact with an interested buyer. She says she works on the east coast and wants to paypal me the money then have an agent come pick up the car. I'm a little wary to do this since my brain is saying with 99% certainty that it's somehow a scam. What seems odd to me is that it's not any kind of collector car or even in that great of shape (mechanically it's 100%, but cosmetically it's a bit beat up). I don't want any kind of fuckery that'll freeze my bank account since I know paypal likes to do that kind of thing.

I told her to paypal the money to the agent and they can pay me in cash, but she said that due to the way the agent operates that's a no-go; they ONLY deal with transport, not transaction. I'm not extremely familiar with the details of how paypal works - I usually just buy with it via a linked debit card. I'm curious, my fellow goons, HOW can this be a scam?

EDIT: Via google, I managed to find a Georgia phone number associated with the email address.

Illegibly Eligible fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 1, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Illegibly Eligible posted:

I posted a car on Craigslist - a 90's nissan for $1500 - and have been in contact with an interested buyer. She says she works on the east coast and wants to paypal me the money then have an agent come pick up the car. I'm a little wary to do this since my brain is saying with 99% certainty that it's somehow a scam. What seems odd to me is that it's not any kind of collector car or even in that great of shape (mechanically it's 100%, but cosmetically it's a bit beat up). I don't want any kind of fuckery that'll freeze my bank account since I know paypal likes to do that kind of thing.

I told her to paypal the money to the agent and they can pay me in cash, but she said that due to the way the agent operates that's a no-go; they ONLY deal with transport, not transaction. I'm not extremely familiar with the details of how paypal works - I usually just buy with it via a linked debit card. I'm curious, my fellow goons, HOW can this be a scam?

EDIT: Via google, I managed to find a Georgia phone number associated with the email address.

Don't do it and I don't know but yeah don't do it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It has to be some sort of scam. My guy feeling is that it'll end with her sending you the money plus the transport fee and asking you to give the guy the transport fee, and after your car and money are gone she fucks over PayPal somehow who in turn fucks you over. It may be something different but there's no rational reason to ship a $1500 car across the country.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Transport fees might not even be involved, she could just do a Paypal chargeback and gently caress you over, since Paypal loves to side with buyers.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Illegibly Eligible posted:

If you think it may be a scam, it is a scam. Deal local, in cash, and write up a bill of sale. Colleague sold his car on CL years ago and recently got a call from a collection company because the car he sold was never re-titled, had many parking tickets, had been towed and stored for 90 days then crushed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Don't do it and I don't know but yeah don't do it.

To add to this: the paypal account is stolen, but the transaction will go through just fine at first.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Never use Paypal for Craigslist transactions is a good rule of thumb.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is the opposite of "debt", ie what is it that you have when somebody owes you money?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Baron Bifford posted:

What is the opposite of "debt", ie what is it that you have when somebody owes you money?
Credit.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Baron Bifford posted:

Credit?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Sieg posted:

Credit?

Credit is when you have access to money you can borrow, i.e. potential debt. A creditor is someone to whom money is owed. That money is still called a debt, I think, except it's owed to you instead of you owing it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

In business it's usually referred to as Accounts Payable/ Accounts Receivable.

E:
Eggplant is right, credit isn't appropriate usage there whoops.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Credit is when you have access to money you can borrow, i.e. potential debt. A creditor is someone to whom money is owed. That money is still called a debt, I think, except it's owed to you instead of you owing it.

Yep. Whether you are the debtor or the creditor, the asset is called a debt.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How does it work when people sell things that they made at home on Etsy when they are emulating stuff that has patents and copyrights already?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a way to "hide" a user on IRC but not ignore them? Ignoring them cuts them from log files, which isn't what I want.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to "hide" a user on IRC but not ignore them? Ignoring them cuts them from log files, which isn't what I want.

That would be something you should ask on the support forum or support email for the particular IRC client you use.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Someone on my Facebook just posted this hoax e-mail about cancer prevention and it got me thinking. Where does this kind of crap come from? Do people write these sorts of things because they honestly believe them, then credit it to a trustworthy source? Or is it an intentionally cruel prank, trying to hurt people when they read it and start thinking they could've cured their kid's cancer with vitamins?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

b0nes posted:

How does it work when people sell things that they made at home on Etsy when they are emulating stuff that has patents and copyrights already?
For an example, remember all the talk about investors buying "toxic debts" from banks during the sub-prime mortgage. You can take ownership of a "debt", and then the loanee will owe you that debt.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
I just made a thread about an annoying situation and it got moved for being too longwinded so maybe I should have started here.

TLDR; Frontier has been overcharging the wrong credit card while failing to provided service as described. Will telling my bank to stop accepting charges from them screw up my credit/ get me sued and am I right to demand a refund.

Deatils here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536218

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wyatt posted:

Yep. Whether you are the debtor or the creditor, the asset is called a debt.
I think there ought to be a proper antonym. "I always pay my debts" and "I always collect on my debts" - this feels contradictory.