Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

DapperDuck posted:

It's only as necessary as you make it. That is to say, if you can live with yourself after letting those missable disappear forever. :colbert:

This is my chief concern. I believe many of us share this mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Of course that being said, the gear isn't fantastic. The Helm and Armor give +130 HP and +150 HP respectively, which translates into maybe a +10 or +20 increase over store bought items? The shield is nice with +43% Physical Evade, and the Gauntlet is probably the best of the bunch with +2 PA and +2 MA. It's only useful for jobs which require both since the Bracer (+3 PA) and Magic Gauntlet (+2 MA) exist. Finally, the Masamune can be obtained through other means.

So again, if your OCD can take the hit, it is nothing gamebreaking.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Elmdor battle is actually way easier in WotL only because they gave him Maintenance so you can't steal any of his equipment, meaning there's nothing to distract you from just rushing him.

victrix posted:

TO for the PSP is a (wonderful) remake of the original game.

Well guess I have a reason to brush the dust off my PSP again then.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Plus it has one of the most ludicrous subtitles ever, Let Us Cling Together.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

pretend to care posted:

Plus it has one of the most ludicrous subtitles ever, Let Us Cling Together.

That's because, like The March of the Black Queen, it's named after a Queen song.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

I'm not sure using Queen song titles to name video games is any less ludicrous a concept than the name itself, but you're right.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

pretend to care posted:

I'm not sure using Queen song titles to name video games is any less ludicrous a concept than the name itself, but you're right.

To put things into perspective, this is in a thread about a series that uses names like Dissidia Duodecim and Theatrhythm.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Fair enough. :colbert:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Duodecim at least has the advantage of being an actual word rather than a ridiculous portmanteau.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Not that it prevented the game from being sort of easy, but Chrono Cross only let you level up a certain amount based on how many bosses you've beaten (in the form of stars) and that carried over into NG+.

The standard rpg nerd in me likes level counters going up, but it helped send a message that you didn't need to get too caught up in fights. I also like rpgs that refill your health after fights so each fight is a clean slate, it lets them be a bit more deliberate with difficulty and pacing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretend to care posted:

If you are saying that naming things after Queen is wrong I don't want to be right.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I'm at the end of my most recent FF8 playthrough and I still don't understand what the gently caress is up with Griever at the end. Like, was it always the ultimate GF or does Squall's Imaginary Friend eventually become a real boy/GF in the future where Ultimacia is from?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I'm at the end of my most recent FF8 playthrough and I still don't understand what the gently caress is up with Griever at the end. Like, was it always the ultimate GF or does Squall's Imaginary Friend eventually become a real boy/GF in the future where Ultimacia is from?

I have an answer to all of your questions vis a vi Griever and the entire rest of the game's mess of a plot: Time Kompression.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've always understood it as Ultimecia creating it out of Squall's mind or some other such stupid nonsense. I don't think Griever exists at any time anyway, besides on Squall's ring/gunblade/mind or whatever. The Ultimecia=Rinoa theory makes Griever a lot more interesting though imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's probably the most compelling Rinoa=Ultimecia plot element. It'd then make Griever either an element of Squall or something willed into existence by Rinoa/Ultimecia's ring. Of course FF VIII's plot is such a clusterfuck there's no way to pin that down as a conclusive interpretation, but it fits at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

So I'm at the end of my most recent FF8 playthrough and I still don't understand what the gently caress is up with Griever at the end.

Griever : 8 :: Necron : 9

He exists just to give you something extra to fight because Ultimecia on her own is the hugest pushover in a game full of giant pushovers (I think Scan gives you some silly in-universe explanation, but no one cares because who uses Scan anyway and also the plot is the least interesting thing in 8 to begin with). And then the fight just keeps going. And going. And going.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I think she's just drawing on what Squall would imagine the ultimate GF would be. So of course it's based on all his bling, that Square could can market at the time. It really doesn't pay to think too hard about FFVIII's plot, especially the latter parts, and closed time loop and things.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Griever : 8 :: Necron : 9

He exists just to give you something extra to fight because Ultimecia on her own is the hugest pushover in a game full of giant pushovers. And then the fight just keeps going. And going. And going.

Griever is huge loving plot point for the relationship (such as it is) between What'sHerFace and Squall. Like, it's apparently a big loving deal to squall that Rinoa makes a copy of it so she can have a matching set. You get to name his imaginary friend. This is supposed to be something important, allegedly, but the game does nothing with it.

Necron had nothing important to do with the plot other than being some sort of Grim Reaper figure at the end.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Ah, right, yeah. Good point; that was a bad analogy, since I completely forgot that Necron was infinitely more relevant to the overall plot. I suppose I deserved that for not playing 9 in a while.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Does final fantasy 8 make more sense in Japan?

Playing the modern remakes of FF4 there was so many things where I realized made sense, where originally I had brushed off as "it's a videogame, stuff just happens". (Only in the re-release do Golbez or Zemus seem like they are doing things for any reason except being video game characters that need to set up levels for you to go through).

Is FF8 that way? Is there some better translation possible that would make everything way clearer? Or is everyone in Japan also shrugging their shoulders at what the heck a time kompression is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Griever is huge loving plot point for the relationship (such as it is) between What'sHerFace and Squall. Like, it's apparently a big loving deal to squall that Rinoa makes a copy of it so she can have a matching set. You get to name his imaginary friend. This is supposed to be something important, allegedly, but the game does nothing with it.

Necron had nothing important to do with the plot other than being some sort of Grim Reaper figure at the end.

There's the theory that Necron is the other half of the Soul Cage enemy fought at the Iifa Tree, but there's nothing in game that explictly says so. Really, it's something they could have easily explained away as "Don't break the crystal or you'll unleash something bad". But yeah, otherwise it's got nothing to do with the plot other than, "we need a final boss".

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is FF8 that way? Is there some better translation possible that would make everything way clearer? Or is everyone in Japan also shrugging their shoulders at what the heck a time kompression is.

I think VIII's problems lie beyond any issues with the translation. The basics of what Ultimecia wants to do are kinda clear...I guess, as far as time travel plots go. How it's all presented is completely mishandled though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 1, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Some of what Ulty says when introducing Griever (it's clearer that basically what she's doing is making him fight the strongest thing he can imagine, literally), and much of Ulty-as-Edea's speech at the end of disc 1, make a little more sense if retranslating from the original Japanese than they do in the official English translation.

The plot is still, of course, batshit crazy and full of holes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there anywhere I can go that will have any information about he FFX HD release? It's my favorite RPG (FF9 is my favorite FF) and I'm about to get a new PS3. I can't wait to track down all the Al Bhed Primers and dodge a loving retarded amount of lightning bolts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It still exists and apparently a release date will be "soon."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think VIII's problems lie beyond any issues with the translation. The basics of what Ultimecia wants to do are kinda clear...I guess, as far as time travel plots go. How it's all presented is completely mishandled though.

That is why I bring up FF4, I never felt exactly confused by that game. But it was only in the re-release where all the stuff actually seemed like an actual story.

Like the snes story the story I took away was golbez was mind controlled by zemus because zemus is evil and wanted to take over the earth. But having played the remake it's fleshed out so everyone's motivations and methods of exactly what they are doing seems less murky. I could list what zemus was trying to do beyond him just being the generic bad guy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You get to name his imaginary friend. This is supposed to be something important, allegedly, but the game does nothing with it.

The name of the boss changes if you changed his name. That confirms that Ultimicia is drawing Griever from Squall. Or maybe Griever always existed and kinda imposed himself on Squalls mind but its probably not this.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Vil posted:

The plot is still, of course, batshit crazy and full of holes.

It doesn't help that it lurches all over the place lacking any unified focus, and is trying to tell a story about time travel - and with that poo poo, it gets confusing enough as it is.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there anywhere I can go that will have any information about he FFX HD release? It's my favorite RPG (FF9 is my favorite FF) and I'm about to get a new PS3. I can't wait to track down all the Al Bhed Primers and dodge a loving retarded amount of lightning bolts.

The latest news was an article released about two weeks ago annoucing it for the Vita.. No idea otherwise for a release date or anything.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is why I bring up FF4, I never felt exactly confused by that game. But it was only in the re-release where all the stuff actually seemed like an actual story.

Like the snes story the story I took away was golbez was mind controlled by zemus because zemus is evil and wanted to take over the earth. But having played the remake it's fleshed out so everyone's motivations and methods of exactly what they are doing seems less murky. I could list what zemus was trying to do beyond him just being the generic bad guy.

But isn't that all to Zemus' motivations anyway? He's evil and wants to take over the Earth, and is mind-controlling Golbez to do it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does final fantasy 8 make more sense in Japan?

Playing the modern remakes of FF4 there was so many things where I realized made sense, where originally I had brushed off as "it's a videogame, stuff just happens". (Only in the re-release do Golbez or Zemus seem like they are doing things for any reason except being video game characters that need to set up levels for you to go through).

FF8's translation is, as far as these things go, actually pretty good. FF8's actual plot is a complete bewildering mess regardless of the language. Squall is slightly less abrasive but not hugely different. His (Japanese) popularity comes largely from the female fanbase where he is significantly more popular than most other FF male leads.

The selling point, at least to fans, are the male leads. (Squall, Seifer and Laguna.) Even before the game came out Square was pushing them as the focus of the story and there were even interviews talking about how it was more about the characters than the plot.

As far as Griever goes: It is Squall's mental personification of strength. It isn't a real thing but Ultimicia's power makes it real because by the end of FF8 you're fighting Squall's idea of strength perverted by evil. It's just "muwahaha, I am reading our mind and turning your own fears against you" sort of bullshit.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 1, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

As far as Griever goes: It is Squall's mental personification of strength. It isn't a real thing but Ultimicia's power makes it real because by the end of FF8 you're fighting Squall's idea of strength perverted by evil. It's just "muwahaha, I am reading our mind and turning your own fears against you" sort of bullshit.

Hey you know what would have been super loving neat? Doing that with all the characters. Maybe see something about them that we don't normally get since this game's narrative is firmly planted in Squall's butt cheeks.

But that would require them to give the other 5 characters screen time. And personality.

On an unrelated note I know someone else said this earlier but I'm curious as to how this game's plot would appear if you didn't get any of the internal monologue from Squall/Laguana. I wonder if it'd be possible to make a 'hack' that does that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

But that would require them to give the other 5 characters screen time. And personality.

My favorite part of the cast is when Squall is remembering them all at the orphanage. Squall's memory of Irvine was "I don't remember you." He literally does not have a character and the game knows it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

My favorite part of the cast is when Squall is remembering them all at the orphanage. Squall's memory of Irvine was "I don't remember you." He literally does not have a character and the game knows it.

Man that line actually made me feel bad for Irvine. I mean, he's the only one who remembers their childhood and what's basically his own brother remembers everyone but him. Dude's got a pretty lovely life in this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF8 tried to do this weird thing where it only made certain characters matter which is why you even have the weird renaming options, and then tried to build the rest of the cast as their friends/supporters and... man, it was just a mess. You might as well have had a three person party and amalgamated all the other characters into one. Squall's childhood friend who became his teacher and is also an expert sniper.

I guess he/she could also like hot dogs and trains. Did Zell and Selphie have any other personality traits?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

FF8 tried to do this weird thing where it only made certain characters matter which is why you even have the weird renaming options, and then tried to build the rest of the cast as their friends/supporters and... man, it was just a mess. You might as well have had a three person party and amalgamated all the other characters into one. Squall's childhood friend who became his teacher and is also an expert sniper.

I guess he/she could also like hot dogs and trains. Did Zell and Selphie have any other personality traits?

Selphie was pretty much insane.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Zell's "God Hand", or whatever where you just do his 1st limit (Beat Rush?) until you do a billion damage is goddamn hilarious. I think the command was like "Left, Down" and you can do that over and over and over...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

You see it's because Squall is dead so

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

You see it's because Squall is dead so

If I had the power of Time Kompression I would use it to prevent "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" from ever being written.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

If I could Time Kompress I guess I'd make FF8 better or something?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Did Zell and Selphie have any other personality traits?
Zell liked hotdogs and Selphie liked trains.

e-Its funny because I only read this part of your post and just noticed that you mentioned that. :v:

Zell was the complete opposite of Squall. He was loud and warm with everyone. Selphie was ditzy that also happened to be good with tech stuff. Rinoa on the other hand, I cant remember anything about her other than she had a dog.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 1, 2013

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
FF8 wasn't all bad. I like it better than 13. Yeah, drawing magic was kind of lame. Yeah, junctioning made you a god very early. The lack of shops annoyed me.

I liked the setting.

Which reminds me... I remember thinking FF7 would take place entirely in Midgar, and was honestly disappointed when the next town you visit is a typical idyllic little village. I really liked the crushing cyberpunk oppression of Midgar and wish it would've been the centerpiece. Junon was cool, too. I guess what I'm saying is I wanted to play Final Fantasy in a Shadowrun setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dross posted:

That's because, like The March of the Black Queen, it's named after a Queen song.

Not just that, but the song Teo Torriate was made exclusively for Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rFMYH6tWso