Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I guess I was expecting a ramped up level of absurdity after having seen Sergeant Kabukiman

Took a while before the mama character really kicked in. The Warriors style plotline didn't really go anywhere. The nazi theme isn't actually played on that much, they are just degenerate punks named after Nazis. Who surf. Lots of surfing. Stock footage of surfing. It just felt incomplete and dragged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Samfucius posted:

Really? I loved Surf Nazis. You really really really have to be a person who likes silly cinema/are in the mood for silly cinema, though.

I will be completely honest, lines like "I am the führer of New Beach" had me laughing harder than most intentional comedies.

(It was undoubtedly a really dumb movie though)

In what universe is Surf Nazis not an intentional comedy?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

penismightier posted:

In what universe is Surf Nazis not an intentional comedy?

"Hiplando's Cloud City"
I also find Shallow Hal a nuanced live action drama that takes on the stigma of being fat raised by the classic "Shrek".

Oh look they have the edgier Bond send up "XXX". Judging by the only two NF entries, did Vin Diesel die?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Manhunter is now streaming, if you're curious about the first film adaptation of Red Dragon or you just want any excuse to watch more Michael Mann.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whether you love or hate Southland Tales I think you have to admit that it's interesting. Though I really don't understand people who say it's "the worst movie they've ever seen" - I can usually parse someone's hatred of a piece of work but not in this case. For me it's just front-to-back fascinating.

Anyway, the documentary on Donald Crowhurst, Deep Water, is on now:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Deep_Water/70075820?locale=en-US

e: They're not his best films, but Hartley's Flirt and Fay Grim are up. The former is good but not great typical early-Hartley with a gimmick (the same story done three times with different people) and the latter is his most big-budget, with Jeff Goldblum. It's a direct sequel to Henry Fool because it has the same characters (all played by the same actors) 10 years later, but in many ways it's not a sequel at all because it's an entirely different kind of movie with different tone and themes. Parker Posey puts a phone set to vibrate in her panties in it.

precision fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 2, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whoa, Deep Water! I remember planning to see that and missing out on it for some reason or another. That's definitely added to the instant queue.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Erebus posted:

Manhunter is now streaming, if you're curious about the first film adaptation of Red Dragon or you just want any excuse to watch more Michael Mann.

This movie loving owns. Best "Hannibal Lecter" movie in my opinion. Has oodles of style, a killer soundtrack and Tom Noonan is both terrifying and sympathetic.

When I think of Michael Mann movies I usually forget this one which is weird, because it is a solid favourite of mine.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Go watch Shaolin Grandma you assholes. I need someone to validate that it is a great movie so I know I haven't gone insane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are so many good Japanese films on right now. Audition, Strange Circus, Cold Fish, Goth, Pulse (so much better than the lovely American version), Psycho Goth Lolita, Caterpillar, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man, Battle Royale, 13 Assassins etc.

Also Mutant Girls Squad, which is very much a TROMA type film, though I found it kind of mediocre honestly. Still fun enough.

And a Korean horror movie that blew me the gently caress away: Thirst. It's a very serious movie about a Catholic priest who becomes a vampire, and I guarantee it will defy every expectation you have based on that summary. It's so good. It's directed by Chan-Woo Park (Oldboy and the Mr. Vengeance trilogy, all of which are also on for streaming).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Go watch Shaolin Grandma you assholes. I need someone to validate that it is a great movie so I know I haven't gone insane.

I tried to get my girlfriend to watch it with me last night but she refused, she no longer trusts my judgement after I picked FDR: American Badass last week.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Break up with her. FDR: American Badass had the perfect tone for that kind of thing. They must've had a blast making it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

The SARS Volta posted:

Break up with her. FDR: American Badass had the perfect tone for that kind of thing. They must've had a blast making it.

I actually didn't care for it either. I'll admit that it looked like they were having fun, but I thought it was too much stupid gross out humor without enough actual jokes.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
Deep Water is great film, and the less you know going in, the better.
Your post reveals everything that happens. Maybe add some spoiler tags?

I very much enjoyed Pumpkin, wherein Christina Ricci falls in love with a `challenged athlete'.
Kind of reminded me of Whit Stillman.

precision posted:

Whether you love or hate Southland Tales I think you have to admit that it's interesting. Though I really don't understand people who say it's "the worst movie they've ever seen" - I can usually parse someone's hatred of a piece of work but not in this case. For me it's just front-to-back fascinating.

Anyway, the documentary on Donald Crowhurst, Deep Water, is on now:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Deep_Water/70075820?locale=en-US

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

priznat posted:

This movie loving owns. Best "Hannibal Lecter" movie in my opinion. Has oodles of style, a killer soundtrack and Tom Noonan is both terrifying and sympathetic.

When I think of Michael Mann movies I usually forget this one which is weird, because it is a solid favourite of mine.
Brian Cox is a really good Hannibal Lecter. The problem is Anthony Hopkins set the bar so high several years later that every Hannibal Lecter before or after (I don't think there have been any without him since, have there?) will be compared to him, and in that light Brian Cox is merely a really good Lecter.

The movie's really about Will Graham and Francis Dolarhyde anyway though. It's an awesome movie, watch it if you haven't.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

If anyone put off watching The Trailer Park Boys as long as I have, and you're kind of on the fence, go watch Season 4 Episode 3, Rub N' Tizzug. It's the Samsquamch episode, and you'll know in 3 minutes whether the show is right for you.

If you like it, watch the movie and then seasons 1-4. But stop at the end of 4. And Definitely don't watch the second movie, Countdown to Liquor day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Brian Cox is a really good Hannibal Lecter. The problem is Anthony Hopkins set the bar so high several years later that every Hannibal Lecter before or after (I don't think there have been any without him since, have there?) will be compared to him, and in that light Brian Cox is merely a really good Lecter.

The movie's really about Will Graham and Francis Dolarhyde anyway though. It's an awesome movie, watch it if you haven't.

Yes, I really liked Cox in the role. The later appearances of Hopkins kind of derailed that interpretation of the character for me, so Cox is probably my favourite. Very understated.

See this movie if you haven't! So good.

The original flaming wheelchair man!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There was a Hannibal Lecter prequel a few years back that was terrible. I guess they're also making a tv show now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Brian Cox's Hannibal Lecktor blows Anthony Hopkins' away, but it's really a different kind of movie altogether and a matter of taste anyway.

morestuff posted:

There was a Hannibal Lecter prequel a few years back that was terrible. I guess they're also making a tv show now.

I want to watch it because Mads Mikkelsen is Lecter.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If anyone put off watching The Trailer Park Boys as long as I have, and you're kind of on the fence, go watch Season 4 Episode 3, Rub N' Tizzug. It's the Samsquamch episode, and you'll know in 3 minutes whether the show is right for you.

If you like it, watch the movie and then seasons 1-4. But stop at the end of 4. And Definitely don't watch the second movie, Countdown to Liquor day.

Don't listen to this guy. Watch all 7 seasons and the second movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I want to watch it because Mads Mikkelsen is Lecter.

Oh man, that's awesome casting.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

You have to admit that the show REALLY loses something without Corey & Trevor.

Also, if you're bored by season 1, keep going. Trailer Park Boys will suddenly "click" and become one of the best comedies ever made.

Jim Lahey is honestly the greatest comedy drunk since W.C. Fields.

The poo poo birds are comin'.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

The SARS Volta posted:

I think this is what Iron Sky was trying to be. Feel asleep during Iron Sky but laughed at everything in FDR: American Badass.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The last season sucked, but I agree about the movie. It's almost worth watching just for Randy's magic marker hair.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

DangerDummy! posted:

The last season sucked, but I agree about the movie. It's almost worth watching just for Randy's magic marker hair.

Not to mention Lahey falling off the wagon in the most incredible way possible. And the bits with J-Roc and T. And...the entire loving thing, really. It's amazing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey if you start now you might be ready just in time for the new Trailer Park Movie. Hoping this ones the search for Phil Collins Gold.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The bloopers at the end just make it even more surreal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh wow. Manhunter. A few days ago someone mentioned it in a CD thread so I got my hands on it. I knew it was a Michael Mann movie but I never got around to seeing it despite the fact I LOVE his stuff. It's such a great movie and it instantly became one of my favorites. It's such a great crime thriller made better with Mann's fingerprints all over it. For comparison I immediately watched Red Dragon. It's crazy how two movies based off the same source material can be so different. Ed Norton does a great job but I found William Petersen really did a better job as Graham. With Norton you never really got the sense that Lector totally hosed him up mentally. Petersen really made that stand out. You really saw Petersen's Graham getting the mindset of a crazy serial killer. Noonan also knocked it out of the park. He was a complete psycho monster.

I just instantly fell in love with this movie.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My girlfriend and I started it thinking we'd end up bored in about 20 minutes, but Shaolin Grandma is unironically hilarious, fascinating and original. We watched the whole thing which says a lot, since legitimately well received films and television bores the poo poo out of us regularly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

Oh wow. Manhunter. A few days ago someone mentioned it in a CD thread so I got my hands on it. I knew it was a Michael Mann movie but I never got around to seeing it despite the fact I LOVE his stuff. It's such a great movie and it instantly became one of my favorites. It's such a great crime thriller made better with Mann's fingerprints all over it. For comparison I immediately watched Red Dragon. It's crazy how two movies based off the same source material can be so different. Ed Norton does a great job but I found William Petersen really did a better job as Graham. With Norton you never really got the sense that Lector totally hosed him up mentally. Petersen really made that stand out. You really saw Petersen's Graham getting the mindset of a crazy serial killer. Noonan also knocked it out of the park. He was a complete psycho monster.

I just instantly fell in love with this movie.

:hfive: my thoughts exactly. Red Dragon was fine but really it has no reason to exist other than to roll out Hopkins as Lecter again.

The part where Graham is going through the house of the murdered family is downright chilling and so perfectly done.

Another favourite scene is Dollarhyde rolling up on his blind gf getting dropped off by that guy and immediately jumping to conclusions. The music and the backlit slo-mo is such a great window into his nuttiness.

Gonna watch it tonight, I hope it's in "SuperHD", I just own the DVD copy right now!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All that and INNA GODDA DAVIDA at the climax. My parents used to kick all 17 minutes of that poo poo at their hippie parties. I hated the song, until Manhunter made it loving awesome again.

I just youtubed for 15 minutes looking for that one scene, but NOOOO. gently caress youtube.

Watch it just for that song in that scene, if nothing else.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The editing during that scene is so crazy how it jumps around.

I had looked for a version of it on Youtube a while back and was disappointed too. However I did find this video for the tune "Strong as I am" which is used very effectively in the movie. Great slab of 80s angsty awesomeness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFw7djyELc

warning: spoilers

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Everybody watch Manhunter.

I really like all the actors cast in Red Dragon, but Manhunter really is a much better film of the same book. They were just cashing in on the Lecter/Silence of the Lambs gravy train when they made Red Dragon IMHO, and the film is not equal to the sum of its cast. The Manhunter cast is not as star studded in my opinion but the film is just much better. Remember that Manhunter was made well before Silence of the Lambs and Hopkins chewing scenery (though he does it gloriously) made Lecter a "thing".

The scene of Dolarhyde speaking to the reporter Lounds, with Lounds waking up restrained and captive, realizing where he is and who he's with, is one of the scariest things ever in cinema in my opinion. Will recording his impressions of the crime scene at the beginning of the film is a really memorable scene as well.

The Simply Red '80's-tastic soundtrack kind of dates the film, although it is good for nostalgia points if you go in for that sort of thing. Pretty much the best use of Iron Butterfly ever in a film, too.

The scenes with Lecter are excellent, a memorable character even then, and the book is also well worth checking out. It's interesting that the central plot point of Will deducing how the victims are selected would not be relevant today.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I completely dig the 80's soundtrack and the synth music. I guess it's one of the many reasons why I'm a huge fan of Miami Vice. I think Netflix still has the pilot episode which was directed by Mann. Check it out if you haven't.

I was this close to making a Manhunter thread. I think I might since everyone should now be able to watch it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 2, 2013

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh look they have the edgier Bond send up "XXX". Judging by the only two NF entries, did Vin Diesel die?

According to xXx: State of the Union, Vin Diesel gets blown up when he visits what is apparently Paddy's Pub from It's Always Sunny. So instead they get Ice Cube to be the new xXx, after which he throws a tank at another tank and tricks a SWAT team by putting a turkey in a bathtub.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

According to xXx: State of the Union, Vin Diesel gets blown up when he visits what is apparently Paddy's Pub from It's Always Sunny. So instead they get Ice Cube to be the new xXx, after which he throws a tank at another tank and tricks a SWAT team by putting a turkey in a bathtub.

This does sound like an episode of Always Sunny. I'll say it again check out Fish Story Japanese punk rock vs a doomsday comet.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Just gonna leave this amazing thing right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I completely dig the 80's soundtrack and the synth music. I guess it's one of the many reasons why I'm a huge fan of Miami Vice. I think Netflix still has the pilot episode which was directed by Mann. Check it out if you haven't.

I was this close to making a Manhunter thread. I think I might since everyone should now be able to watch it.

All of Miami Vice is on Instant.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I'll admit, I didn't find Jim and Randy very funny, and some of the later seasons felt very Jim and Randy-heavy. Although there is a great moment towards the end where you suddenly realize almost all of the main characters are homeless. It happened so gradually and organically you almost don't notice.

I'm glad to hear they're making another movie, because when it was good it was VERY funny. Maybe the time off will give them time to recharge. It really felt like the were dialing it in towards the end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Just gonna leave this amazing thing right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

This is hilarious, if they wanted to bring him back they could easily pretend it was an impostor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

All of Miami Vice is on Instant.

Last time I checked Miami Vice on there some of the episodes were disc only. That's good to know!

• Locked thread