Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

It's Thom Yorke, Nigel Godrich, and Flea. And it's pretty awesome. I guess it's a big deal if you're into that kind of thing. It's been much anticipated by many for a long time.

What I meant is, is this something that's hard to come by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CPL593H posted:

What I meant is, is this something that's hard to come by?

The Ltd. Edition one is, apparently, as everyone sold out/oversold pre-orders.

If you can snag one, I'll take it off your hands.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Me in Reverse posted:

The Ltd. Edition one is, apparently, as everyone sold out/oversold pre-orders.

If you can snag one, I'll take it off your hands.

It's not really possible at this point. Aside from the fact that I'm not 100% that's what I even saw.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Is this a big deal or something? I'm pretty sure I saw a whole bunch of copies of it yesterday while I was floating around record stores.

It's a pretty killer album, I think. And the special edition is damned pretty. Thick and shiny. And I'm just glad I snagged one :allears:

Also, the album gave us this:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

It's not really possible at this point. Aside from the fact that I'm not 100% that's what I even saw.

You probably saw it. Most likely the standard version- though I'm sure most record stores have tried to add at least a few limited edition copies to their inventories. The reason people are making a big to-do about it is because it's one of the most hyped-up and awaited vinyl releases of 2013 and a bunch of retailers royally hosed it up.

Both the band's and label's online stores sold out of the preorders for the limited edition weeks ago. Naturally, Insound kept their preorder page up as though they were gonna have enough stock on launch day- which isn't surprising at all.

What IS surprising is that several other retailers, some generally considered to be more "trustworthy" than Insound (like Amazon), did the exact same thing- even promising launch-day delivery to customers who opted for it.

On launch day, many excited fans woke up to find cryptic emails telling them that Amazon/whoever was "having difficulty" filling their order and that they could either cancel or wait with the hope that *something* would happen until March 28, at which point the order would be cancelled for them.

What makes Amazon's conduct particularly galling is that they seem to have selected who does and doesn't get their LP either by random or by delivery route/shipping center proximity. So whether you preordered early (or at least earlier than others) or whether Amazon guaranteed you an album on your doorstep on launch day apparently didn't matter.

By midday, people were scouring independent stores' seller pages for unsold limited editions, hoping to grab them at decent prices before they sold out too. If it's not already impossible to buy a new limited edition copy online for retail price (not jacked the hell up), it probably will be by the end of the week.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah, but I hate Thom Yorke and RHCP.

This sums up exactly what I was wondering about. So does this limited edition come with anything different besides a shiny cover?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 28, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

This sums up exactly what I was wondering about. So does this limited edition come with anything different besides a shiny cover?

Nope, just prettier packaging. Anyone who missed out shouldn't feel too bad.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
So while I don't have internet at my new house yet (I'm posting this from work)

I did manage to get the rekkids over

my back...

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Snagged this at 2nd and Charles (local used books&stuff store):

Killing Joke 'What's This For?'.

TOTALLY going to try to snag that J&MC from RSD too, drat and the Caravan album.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, but I hate Thom Yorke and RHCP.

also pressed on 45rpm vs 33 for the standard

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Peacebone posted:

also pressed on 45rpm vs 33 for the standard

Nope, not even.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Nope, not even.

mine is 45

also no cd, just a download code

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Action Serious posted:

mine is 45

also no cd, just a download code

No, I mean there's no 33 RPM version. So only the packaging of the deluxe version is different.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Here's some stuff I bought yesterday:

The list:
Sonic Youth - Smart Bar Chicago 1985
Japandroids - Post Nothing
Ty Segall - Hair
the Modern Lovers - s/t (reissue)
Pop 1280 - The Grid EP
Human League - Dare
Lou Reed - Berlin
The Damned - Mindless Directionless Energy Live at the Lyceum 1981
The Smiths - The Old Guard BBC Tapes Vol. 1 & 2
The Traditional Fools - s/t
Mojo Nixon/Skid Roper - Frenzy
Tom Robinson - Cabaret '79
Pop 1280 - The Horror
Joy Division - Morituri Te Salutant

I don't think the pictures do them justice, but the Smiths records have really nice screen printed covers.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
The Joy Division record has a pretty freaky cover for being them. How much did you have to pay for it?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Joy Division releases confuse the hell out of me. There's like a million and Joy Division was only around for like two years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

von Braun posted:

The Joy Division record has a pretty freaky cover for being them. How much did you have to pay for it?

20 bucks. It's an obvious bootleg, so it's not like the band had any input.

WASDF posted:

Joy Division releases confuse the hell out of me. There's like a million and Joy Division was only around for like two years.

There are a lot of live bootlegs is why.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I guess this is only slightly relevant to the thread, but I went and saw Vektor two Sundays ago and they were cool enough to sign the sleeve of my Outer Isolation vinyl for me. Pretty nice guys that seemed genuinely interested in interacting with their fans, especially Eric the guitarist.

Speaking of vinyl bootlegs, out of curiosity, are there any that are actually worth good money?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

Speaking of vinyl bootlegs, out of curiosity, are there any that are actually worth good money?

I don't know of any specific ones, but a lot of them fetch moderate to high prices.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't understand how bootlegs are legal? I've got a bootleg copy of Filth by Swans and I'm sure unless there was some sort contractual agreement Michael Gira would loving destroy the label that put it out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

I don't understand how bootlegs are legal? I've got a bootleg copy of Filth by Swans and I'm sure unless there was some sort contractual agreement Michael Gira would loving destroy the label that put it out.

I think they technically fall into some legal grey area. Supposedly it's legal to own them, but it's not legal to produce or sell them. I'm also pretty sure that a lot of the "labels" that make them aren't labels as much as they're just one off names being used for what ever the release is. And in some cases they just put the poo poo out until there's a cease and desist from someone. The other thing is they're usually produced in small quantities.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

huh, that's kind of cool. My copy of Filth is pretty rad and the packaging and sound quality are nice. I'm interested in more boot legs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

huh, that's kind of cool. My copy of Filth is pretty rad and the packaging and sound quality are nice. I'm interested in more boot legs.

Yeah there's a lot of cool stuff out there and some of it sounds surprisingly good. Also another thing about why bootlegs are so common. Most of the time the artists and record labels don't really care and in some cases they've been known to release authorized versions of famous bootlegs (Like Bowie's Santa Monica '72', Dylan's bootleg series, Velvet Underground and Nico acetate, etc).

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Detective Thompson posted:

I've spent good money on the few boots I have. One of them happens to be Joy Division too, hah.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, I mean there's no 33 RPM version. So only the packaging of the deluxe version is different.

Are the records in the standard version etched too? I mean, I'll be completely honest- I only got the deluxe for the gatefold art.

For curiosity's sake, I just checked Amazon- there's a seller in Australia who'll give you one for $60+ shipping. That's the cheapest- a 50% markup on what it cost 4 days ago. From there it's $62....$78....$100...and God knows what Ebay looks like. By Saturday, anything left that's new is gonna be going for $100+. :psyduck: It's not even that great of an album.

CPL593H posted:

Most of the time the artists and record labels don't really care and in some cases they've been known to release authorized versions of famous bootlegs (Like Bowie's Santa Monica '72', Dylan's bootleg series, Velvet Underground and Nico acetate, etc).

When a lot of the tracks have been passed around for decades on cassette tape or mp3, it's not hard to imagine a label wanting to cut in on the action by releasing a low effort "authorized" bootleg and slapping a price tag on them. Don't get me wrong, artists and labels have a right to sell the music they own and blah blah- and many authorized boots are really nice and totally worth the money- but a lot of them are cynical garbage. Often, the tracks aren't even really remastered or cleaned up when they get put on CD/vinyl/iTunes. It's literally *grab some old fan-recorded concert footage off of BitTorrent, invoke rights ownership of the songs and their recordings, put them on CD, get a producer or whoever to phone in a statement for the booklet, make a "limited" vinyl release for Record Store Day, profit*.

Also-Japandroids aside, your record collection seems so much cooler than mine. :sigh:

Edit: I do grammar good.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 1, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For curiosity's sake, I just checked Amazon- there's a seller in Australia who'll give you one for $60+ shipping. That's the cheapest- a 50% markup on what it cost 4 days ago. From there it's $62....$78....$100...and God knows what Ebay looks like. By Saturday, anything left that's new is gonna be going for $100+. :psyduck:

I think Dream Theater's Images & Words is the worst flipping I have seen yet, it only came out on the 19th of February.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are the records in the standard version etched too? I mean, I'll be completely honest- I only got the deluxe for the gatefold art.

For curiosity's sake, I just checked Amazon- there's a seller in Australia who'll give you one for $60+ shipping. That's the cheapest- a 50% markup on what it cost 4 days ago. From there it's $62....$78....$100...and God knows what Ebay looks like. By Saturday, anything left that's new is gonna be going for $100+. :psyduck: It's not even that great of an album.

I saw some on Discogs yesterday that were priced relatively sane.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

When a lot of the tracks have been passed around for decades on cassette tape or mp3, it's not hard to imagine a label wanting to cut in on the action by releasing a low effort "authorized" bootleg and slapping a price tag on them. Don't get me wrong, artists and labels have a right to sell the music they own and blah blah- and many authorized boots are really nice and totally worth the money- but a lot of them are cynical garbage. Often, the tracks aren't even really remastered or cleaned up when they get put on CD/vinyl/iTunes. It's literally *grab some old fan-recorded concert footage off of BitTorrent, invoke rights ownership of the songs and their recordings, put them on CD, get a producer or whoever to phone in a statement for the booklet, make a "limited" vinyl release for Record Store Day, profit*.

Oh I'm well aware of that. But sometimes the officially released ones are way cheaper.

quote:

Also-Japandroids aside, your record collection seems so much cooler than mine. :sigh:

Edit: I do grammar good.

I wasn't always this cool. Just go buy more stuff and you can be like me.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Church Whip (yea I know) pre-order is up.

http://www.vinylrites.bigcartel.com/product/church-whip-psychedelic-nightmare-lp

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

david puddy posted:

I think Dream Theater's Images & Words is the worst flipping I have seen yet, it only came out on the 19th of February.

Really?

In metal, vinyl die hards are massive business.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Stopped by to trade in a few odds and ends from the thrift store and walked out with these:

Depeche Mode 'People are People - Different Mix'
U2 'Rattle and Hum' (one of my all time favs, I remember being so excited when this came out)

The Depeche Mode is loving gorgeous:
Edit: And is also 'Printed in W. Germany', huh, very cool.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 1, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I wasn't always this cool. Just go buy more stuff and you can be like me.

Just like woot fatigue and his MCM dreamboat apartment....:allears:

iostream.h posted:

Stopped by to trade in a few odds and ends from the thrift store and walked out with these:

Depeche Mode 'People are People - Different Mix'
U2 'Rattle and Hum' (one of my all time favs, I remember being so excited when this came out)

The Depeche Mode is loving gorgeous:
Edit: And is also 'Printed in W. Germany', huh, very cool.

gently caress OFF you grabbed those at a thrift store? Rattle and Hum is great but that Depeche Mode 45 is off the loving chain. Any idea how much it's worth?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just like woot fatigue and his MCM dreamboat apartment....:allears:

gently caress OFF you grabbed those at a thrift store? Rattle and Hum is great but that Depeche Mode 45 is off the loving chain. Any idea how much it's worth?
Nono, sorry I wasn't clear, I pick up stuff from the thrift stores to trade in at a couple of (well, the ONLY two REAL) record shops in town, these are what I got with my store credit.

It doesn't appear to be worth a lot, $10-$30USD or so based on Discogs (which is still way more than I have in it) but that's fine, I don't buy to flip (except thrift store stuff for the aforementioned in-store-credit). I just got through listening to it and fuuuuuck it sounds INCREDIBLE through my good cans. Adding more DM to my 'buy on vinyl' list.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Every now and then Pop Market has some neat looking bundles, last week they had all the Outkast albums at a decent price, today there is a big Monkees colored vinyl set being advertised and it's always so tempting. Except they are a terribly inept company. I finally got notice earlier this week that the White Stripes bundle I ordered back in November has finally shipped. After months of ship date push backs and no explanation of why albums that are easy to find all over are unavailable to ship I get my package today, and open it to find only 3 of the 4 albums promised. Perhaps the wait for the 4th missing album will only be 1-2 months.

In other words, avoid Pop Market. Could be a coincidence but I find it funny my order shipped 24 hours after I started leaving comments on their facebook inquiring about my order.

Edit:vvv I Have, if anything, this experience has saved me a few hundred on other bundles they've posted that I didn't order due to the current order.vvv

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 1, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Dr. Lariat posted:

Every now and then Pop Market has some neat looking bundles, last week they had all the Outkast albums at a decent price, today there is a big Monkees colored vinyl set being advertised and it's always so tempting. Except they are a terribly inept company. I finally got notice earlier this week that the White Stripes bundle I ordered back in November has finally shipped. After months of ship date push backs and no explanation of why albums that are easy to find all over are unavailable to ship I get my package today, and open it to find only 3 of the 4 albums promised. Perhaps the wait for the 4th missing album will only be 1-2 months.

In other words, avoid Pop Market. Could be a coincidence but I find it funny my order shipped 24 hours after I started leaving comments on their facebook inquiring about my order.

Yeah, I finally got my shipping notice last week as well. I hope I get all the records.

Also, just send them a message using the 'contact us' link on the site. I sent them a query about the description of The Clash bundle I ordered (it said there was a lyric sheet, there was no lyric sheet), and they went and sent me the records again (still no lyric sheet).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I avoided Pop Market outright because of the few times I tried to see what their sale was it said I had to be logged into something to see the price. So right off the bat I decided they can get hosed.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I ordered a The Shins package deal they had awhile back for my wife and everything came complete. I too thought having to sign up to see a price was stupid but I figured if I didn't like it and they sent me junk email, I would just mark it as spam and move on. So far, none of their deals have really made me want to order anything else.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Pop Market's pretty awful. They're usually selling something alright, but they sign you up for mailing lists for audiophile bullshit stereo equipment if you actually buy something from them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cheapandugly posted:

Pop Market's pretty awful. They're usually selling something alright, but they sign you up for mailing lists for audiophile bullshit stereo equipment if you actually buy something from them.

This is what I was getting at. It's pretty obvious that if you have to sign up to even see the prices, then they're going to spam the gently caress out of you. And I'd rather not do business with any company that is this openly full of contempt for their potential customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I've bought from Popmarket before and the experience wasn't wholly awful. A lot of their deals are really pretty good, and their shipping doesn't get too cocked up when it's not something immensely popular. I got a pair of Caribou LPs for $27 over the summer and they arrived on time and without issue. On the flipside, the Cat Power bundle they had in September arrived two months late and the pressing of The Greatest that they shipped didn't match the one that they'd advertised (much cheaper picture sleeve instead of the original foil-stamped gatefold) so gently caress 'em, I guess. I dunno- I'd buy from them again if the deal was particularly good.

^That said, I've never been signed up for any audiophile bullshit stereo mailing lists. Their daily deals are the only thing spamming my inbox, and I could make the same complaint about Newegg and the 50 other places I shop regularly from. Are you sure you didn't just neglect to click on a certain 'opt out' box when you signed up?

iostream.h posted:

Nono, sorry I wasn't clear, I pick up stuff from the thrift stores to trade in at a couple of (well, the ONLY two REAL) record shops in town, these are what I got with my store credit.

It doesn't appear to be worth a lot, $10-$30USD or so based on Discogs (which is still way more than I have in it) but that's fine, I don't buy to flip (except thrift store stuff for the aforementioned in-store-credit). I just got through listening to it and fuuuuuck it sounds INCREDIBLE through my good cans. Adding more DM to my 'buy on vinyl' list.

That makes more sense. I don't know if you'd be able to do that sort of thing with the thrift stores in New England. Anything worth trading you'd just want to keep for yourself so you'd only end up bringing armfuls of Herb Alpert, Barbara Streisand, and random polka covers to trade in. No decent record store on the planet would give you a dime of credit for those.