Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

She's really cute. Are they about to go into zoomies or play in this photo? I wouldn't say the body language is entirely friendly on her part (or entirely comfortable on Moses') in this one, but they look fine in the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

She's really cute. Are they about to go into zoomies or play in this photo? I wouldn't say the body language is entirely friendly on her part (or entirely comfortable on Moses') in this one, but they look fine in the rest of them.

It looks like she's telling him something, like when people just start telling you really uncomfortable, unsolicited stories about their pooping habits or something, and he's just :stare:

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

To me that looks like regular 'strange dogs getting familiar with each other' body language? Standing and freezing and sniffing heads/bodies/butts is all part of it :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Super: Griff is an excellent name for your new dog :3:

I will second this. It's so nice to see Moses with somebody he :love: loves :love: . I look forward to him teaching her how to have an emotional breakdown 24/7.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Nope, he wasn't comfortable and she WAS being pissy there. They've been alternating between obsessively licking each other whilst spooning, and being rude to each other and having dumb little melodramatic slapfights. Moses doesn't really understand his feelings and keeps getting overwhelmed, and when he does we just stick them in separate rooms for a few so they can cool down. It's amazing that he wants to interact with her at all though, normally he just tries to murder *everything.*

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, Super saved a doggy. She's adorable. Nice to see Moses with a new friend too. :3:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

Nope, he wasn't comfortable and she WAS being pissy there. They've been alternating between obsessively licking each other whilst spooning, and being rude to each other and having dumb little melodramatic slapfights. Moses doesn't really understand his feelings and keeps getting overwhelmed, and when he does we just stick them in separate rooms for a few so they can cool down. It's amazing that he wants to interact with her at all though, normally he just tries to murder *everything.*

So its teenage love? That's awesome.
I'm still in awe, its just so loving cool :) Yay doggie love!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

notsowelp posted:

To me that looks like regular 'strange dogs getting familiar with each other' body language? Standing and freezing and sniffing heads/bodies/butts is all part of it :)

What I'm picking up is Moses' whale eyes, ears pushed back, leaning away from her, while she is very upright and stiff, tail and ears erect and forward, and leaning over him.

If I were there I'd walk between them or something to break the tension. :) Sounds like Super has it under control and Moses is being a good boy.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

What I'm picking up is Moses' whale eyes, ears pushed back, leaning away from her, while she is very upright and stiff, tail and ears erect and forward, and leaning over him.

Yup, like I said, they're definitely being turds in that picture. Like any new dogs being introduced, there's gonna be a bunch of posturing and drama at first.

quote:

If I were there I'd walk between them or something to break the tension. :) Sounds like Super has it under control and Moses is being a good boy.

I usually let them sort it out on their own unless they start actually getting into fights. I've found, at least with the pits I've introduced, that too much hovering and intervening can just shut them down and lead to huge blowups later. I'd rather them be stiff and have little spats than stuff it down until it erupts into something much bigger. You can walk between them and distract them all day; they're just gonna go right back to it in 5 seconds.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Is Griff a foster or ~potential third dog~, Super? She's obviously Moses's soul mate.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fraction posted:

Is Griff a foster or ~potential third dog~, Super? She's obviously Moses's soul mate.

I'm getting a 1920's PI vibe here. Moses and the Griff, with the beautiful secretary Frankie. They'll roam the mean streets of New York, sniffing out BAD DOGS and doling out justice, before retiring to play poker at the office.

edit - Private Investigator, not Pet Island. Although maybe its the PIPI.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 28, 2013

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

I just don't even know, I had sworn up and down that I would never get another rescue pit and DEFINITELY wasn't planning on getting a third dog for at least a couple of years. I went into this thinking Moses would try to murder her and resent the hell out of her presence and I'd just have to keep her mostly crated for a couple of days before finding somewhere else to go. I have never seen Moses interact with another dog like this before EVER, and it's caught both me and my partner off guard because we never considered "Moses really liking a random dog" as a possibility. My main concern with getting another dog was time, since I work, but yesterday afternoon and evening was the first time since Moses existed that I didn't have him staring at me and begging to go do activities all evening. He played with her and argued with her until they both passed out and I actually got some peace for once and it was AWESOME.

It's just all so out of left field I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm definitely not going to commit to anything right now, I wanna see how her personality develops as she starts to get more comfortable before I make that kind of decision. It could be that her and Moses end up hating each other after this weird little honeymoon phase they've got going on ends.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

Siochain posted:

edit - Private Investigator, not Pet Island. Although maybe its the PIPI.

Peepee :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Superconsndar posted:

Yup, like I said, they're definitely being turds in that picture. Like any new dogs being introduced, there's gonna be a bunch of posturing and drama at first.

I usually let them sort it out on their own unless they start actually getting into fights. I've found, at least with the pits I've introduced, that too much hovering and intervening can just shut them down and lead to huge blowups later. I'd rather them be stiff and have little spats than stuff it down until it erupts into something much bigger. You can walk between them and distract them all day; they're just gonna go right back to it in 5 seconds.

I guess coming from a POV of not knowing the dogs personally, if I saw those two posturing that way (eg at work) I'd be watching them closely. Especially with bullies since they tend to finish what they start.

We try to let everyone work themselves out but sometimes you gotta break it up. More often than not it's one of the other dogs that does it. We have some good playgroup police. :3:

Since you know Moses you can probably tell much better than a casual observer when he's at the tipping point. I was just mentioning the body language I noticed since I find it interesting.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

My dogs always do this same sort of pose and stand off towards each other whenever they are trying to play.

They do this little stare down then twitch or take off running and the other chases.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I'm never really around dogs who AREN'T posturing like jerks at each other 24/7, so idk its not really a big deal but whatever you wanna do I guess

I tend to intentionally let them reach tipping point with each other specifically so that they can get that kind of drama out of the way, but I would only do that with dogs that were potentially going to be living together and not in a play group (I wouldn't have anything bully at a play group anyway)

Most of the DA pit bulls in the world are really, really shut down and I dislike the way most people are told/choose to manage their DA. I have had a lot more success with actually letting them argue than with constantly hovering and trying to break up every rude look they give each other. You just gotta be ready to jump in if you misjudge and they actually get in a serious fight. I have found that dogs that are allowed to work things out on their own are less likely to escalate to a serious fight than dogs that are constantly hassled and shushed for having opinions about other dogs.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Keep dat dog, she a good dog.

Moses gonna get humped so hard he will not even know what is happening

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'd watch it. Maybe someone should pitch it to Animal Planet. I mean, their current fascination with pits would practically make it a sure thing.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Super, do you read Dicebox? There's a character in that named Griffen (called Griff), and I was wondering if you were inspired by that. I really do need to get around to making a pattern for that coat... I've always wanted a coat like that.

edit: here's a link if you haven't seen it http://www.comic.dicebox.net/2009/01/01/wander-pre-ramble/

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Super, do you read Dicebox? There's a character in that named Griffen (called Griff), and I was wondering if you were inspired by that. I really do need to get around to making a pattern for that coat... I've always wanted a coat like that.

edit: here's a link if you haven't seen it http://www.comic.dicebox.net/2009/01/01/wander-pre-ramble/

Haha no, I've actually never heard of it. The real inspiration is way more lame: me and my partner decided like years ago, while drunkenly watching Back to the Future, that the next pit bull that happened would be named Biff if he were a boy, and Griff if she were a girl. Because, we decided, that Biff's character was the closest human embodiment of the average pit bull that could ever exist. :>

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: They hate poop? I thought all dogs LOVED poop.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Greycious posted:

My dogs always do this same sort of pose and stand off towards each other whenever they are trying to play.

They do this little stare down then twitch or take off running and the other chases.

Yeah, I'd be more worried if they BOTH had Griff's posturing. As long as one dog is appeasing when one puffs up, it can be just fine. I mean, that's exactly what appeasement gestures are for. Just have to keep an eye for the appeasing dog to get too stressed.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Y'all should get rats. You're missing out. :colbert:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Since tomorrow is 1 month to lamb-watch 2013 I went around and did my highly scientific grope test to see who I think is really knocked up. Sometimes I think I should just get the blood tests or ultrasounds done so I would know for sure but then I would have no excuse to grope sheep.

Current tally:

New angora goats: Definitely pregnant, one looks like she has twins the other probably a single unless their due dates were recorded backwards.

New romeldale sheep: Pretty convinced both are pregnant even though they are due later in April.

Cormo sheep: One definite yes, the other maybe leaning towards yes.

Jacobs bred to my senior ram: Both definitely yes. Dennis seems to be able to knock up ewes just by looking at them.

Jacobs bred to my junior ram: One maybe leaning towards yes, one maybe leaning towards no. Windsor may have been too small and intimidated by the big girls, but he also may have not bred them until their second cycle together. They're also both first timers so they may not develop udders until they are about ready to pop.

I start shearing end of next week and then I can start speculating on how many I think each is carrying. Other shepherds seem to be having a weird year where they are either having giant singles or quads so it could get interesting.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

okay i have a gross question

I have never owned a female dog, much less managed an unspayed female + an unneutered male together. Griff's spay isn't until next week, and that was the soonest they could get her in. She isn't in heat, but Moses is still being an absolute piece of poo poo around her, humping the air and trying to mount her. She keeps owning him but he can't stop. Obv we won't let anything happen (and her spay would happen even if something DID happen) but she just wants him to gently caress off and he won't.

I know there are goons here who have unspayed and unneutered males/females in the same household. How do you manage it and what do I do? If I have to rotate them until her spay that's fine, but they DO like each other and have fun hanging out when he isn't hassling her so I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Is he still gonna do this after she's spayed? I know this probably sounds really basic, I just have no frame of reference at all because I have only ever had male dogs.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Might have a problem here. I'm not sure how much longer until BC reaches critical fluff. Each year he's gotten more and more fluffy to the point where I'm actually vacuuming regularly. He's also clawed part of my couch but I find it annoying mostly because he has a perfectly good scratching post and pad that refuses to use but is more than happy to do lines of catnip off of.

For refrence, him little over a year and a half ago.

Same pose, yesterday or the day before.

a profile view

This concludes my fuzzbeast derail.

Bye.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

I know there are goons here who have unspayed and unneutered males/females in the same household. How do you manage it and what do I do? If I have to rotate them until her spay that's fine, but they DO like each other and have fun hanging out when he isn't hassling her so I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Is he still gonna do this after she's spayed? I know this probably sounds really basic, I just have no frame of reference at all because I have only ever had male dogs.
I don't live with both intact male and female dogs, but we visit friends with intact females pretty much daily. I pretty much just tell my boys to knock it off and praise the female if/when she's telling them to back off. If my boys are being really enthusiastic, they might get a warning and then a time-out.

I realize this might not be applicable to Moses, but male dogs usually tone it down as they mature and get more experinece because they realize that not every day of the year is the day when you should try to get it on. As to what happens after the spay it's anyone's guess. However if Moses is that much into it now, he might not change his ways after the spay. If Griff isn't in heat now (or nowhere near it, females can be really appealing to dogs even as they approach their heat), then Moses probably doesn't realize that humping a female is a futile effort when she's not in heat. It might stay the same after the spay, because some dogs will even interpret fixed males as "female enough" and hump away. You should also keep in mind that Griff's tolerance for intact male antics may be significantly lower after the spay, so keep an eye out for any situations down the road.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Also how could he cheat on Frankie and go straight like that? They're supposed to be gay for each other forever! :qq:

Also enjoy the bleeding from an unfixed female. My brother's pom isn't fixed and the first time it happened, he freaked out. Someone should create a dog feminine pad and make a million dollars off all the crazy dog ladies.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Rixatrix posted:

You should also keep in mind that Griff's tolerance for intact male antics may be significantly lower after the spay, so keep an eye out for any situations down the road.
This. Also the rest of the advice Rixatrix has is very valid.

I used to have an experienced intact male w/ intact females. There were never any issues as he certainly knew, when it was the time to get excited and when not to. During the estrus he stayed with a friend, but even during proestrus and right after estrus I could have him at home, because even though the female was in heat he wasn't too excited and definitely didn't try to hump at all. (Not that I would've ever left them alone unattended during the three weeks my bitches are in heat, but while I was home and the girls had their pants on I knew I'd be there in time to stop anything from happening. Naturally I wouldn't have been this lax, had he shown signs of excitement.)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Someone should create a dog feminine pad and make a million dollars off all the crazy dog ladies.

They already have, along with super fashionable dog panties to hold them in place!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I thought dog ladies usually used like child's underwear to hold the dog vagpads or whatever in place?

:gonk: So glad I've never had to deal with bitches in heat.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Steezo posted:

Might have a problem here. I'm not sure how much longer until BC reaches critical fluff. Each year he's gotten more and more fluffy to the point where I'm actually vacuuming regularly. He's also clawed part of my couch but I find it annoying mostly because he has a perfectly good scratching post and pad that refuses to use but is more than happy to do lines of catnip off of.

For refrence, him little over a year and a half ago.

Same pose, yesterday or the day before.

a profile view

This concludes my fuzzbeast derail.

Bye.

:swoon: I love Buttercup in all his absolute floofy glory. I bet he now makes epic catpuddles.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

okay i have a gross question

I have never owned a female dog, much less managed an unspayed female + an unneutered male together. Griff's spay isn't until next week, and that was the soonest they could get her in. She isn't in heat, but Moses is still being an absolute piece of poo poo around her, humping the air and trying to mount her. She keeps owning him but he can't stop. Obv we won't let anything happen (and her spay would happen even if something DID happen) but she just wants him to gently caress off and he won't.

:haw: Balen doesn't do this poo poo because he's too loving lazy unless one of the girls is actively in heat.

It's possible she came out of heat recently and she still smells like it, or she was around a dog that was. Just giving her a good bath can help, especially if she wasn't the one in heat. He may also just be being Moses and holy god, my brain circuits are malfunctioning!!! over this new thing. And this time his reaction is to hump it instead of scream at it. I'd just try giving her a bath, separating them for a bit while she dries off and spraying some febreeze or whatever and see if he still tries to jump her.

Is he actually trying to mate with her, or is he just humping her?

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
My friends had a male dog (neutered) that the introduced to their new female dog (spayed). The male dog wouldn't stop with the humps until the female bit his penis. So... there you go! Easy solution. :downs:

My two cats are becoming shitheels about getting their claws clipped. They have started sassing my attempts with warning bites. I will burrito your asses, cats!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the help PI :3:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:haw: Balen doesn't do this poo poo because he's too loving lazy unless one of the girls is actively in heat.

It's possible she came out of heat recently and she still smells like it, or she was around a dog that was. Just giving her a good bath can help, especially if she wasn't the one in heat. He may also just be being Moses and holy god, my brain circuits are malfunctioning!!! over this new thing. And this time his reaction is to hump it instead of scream at it. I'd just try giving her a bath, separating them for a bit while she dries off and spraying some febreeze or whatever and see if he still tries to jump her.

Is he actually trying to mate with her, or is he just humping her?

She won't let him mount her, so he just follows her around resting his chin on her back and humping the air. :rolleyes: He won't stop though, and does it until she flips out at him and bites his stupid face (haha owned) or until he just about passes out from exhaustion. Distractions don't work because nothing is cooler than A Girl Dog, apparently.

He has absolutely zero experience with female dogs except for briefly being approached by them in public, so he has no clue what he's doing. She's been bathed, and he actually got WORSE after I bathed her- before the bath he was being pretty chill, after the bath, he went hump crazy. She's eaten his face a few times, but he doesn't care and is just like "wow thanks for thinking of me!!" and keeps going. I keep separating them because Moses is wearing himself out, and she is getting no peace at all. We gave her special bed/couch privileges so she can get away from him, but I don't want her to feel like her only options are to stay on a piece of furniture or get humped. If you just straight up tell him to cut it the gently caress out, he just stands there panting and drooling like an idiot until he reboots/we stop paying attention and then tries again.

If she becomes less tolerant of him after the spay, I don't mind, he's a big spoiled jerk and kinda needs to be knocked down a peg or two anyway. IF we do decide we want to keep her, I wouldn't be adverse to getting Moses neutered as well if it would get him to quit obsessing. He's 3 now and any more filling out he's going to do is going to be very minor. I hope the spay will be enough to calm him down though.

This kind of stuff is why I'm not committing to anything right now. If she's going to be forever hassled by Moses, that wouldn't be fair to her. If Moses is going to be stressed all the time because A Girl, that won't be fair to him. I guess right now I'll just have to wait and see how their dynamic evolves, especially after her spay.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Okay so it's option B. Which is even more hilarious. If she eats his face enough he might stop because it doesn't sound like he's actually trying to get all up in that, he's just literally being a 13 year old boy. He might even get over it before she's spayed. Just be glad Frankie hasn't joined in and it's not a threeway hump session.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I posted the other day about that awesome husky mix my coworker found. She managed to find its owners, who apparently live right down the street and didn't even make one ounce of effort to find their dog, no flyers, didn't check craigslist, didn't call the shelter, nothing. She had the dog for five days. She only found out who they were because some kid saw her walking it and was like "hey that's my friend's dog!"

So she goes and leaves a note at their house since they weren't home going "yo I think I have your dog" and left her phone number and address to come get it, and they just came and took it from her backyard without even knocking on her door. She went over to the house again yesterday to hand them the vet bill for de-worming and to inform them that the dog had tested positive for heartworm so the dog should get treated ASAP and she even went out of her way to call around to see which vets would do the treatment for the cheapest. The parents weren't home (again) so she left it with the kids and told them to tell their parents. She says the kids were middle school age so it's not like she was entrusting the dog's health to a six year old.

The dog showed up in her backyard again while she was at work today. She doesn't feel right just giving it back to its owners again since they clearly do not care about the dog's health or wellbeing (her other neighbors said they've seen this dog wandering around the neighborhood for weeks) , but at the same time she doesn't want to just keep someone else's dog. She's thinking about taking it to the shelter, telling the family that it's at the shelter, and if they continue to give no shits and not come get him (likely) she'll adopt him herself then continue her re-homing efforts.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The dog showed up in her backyard again while she was at work today. She doesn't feel right just giving it back to its owners again since they clearly do not care about the dog's health or wellbeing (her other neighbors said they've seen this dog wandering around the neighborhood for weeks) , but at the same time she doesn't want to just keep someone else's dog. She's thinking about taking it to the shelter, telling the family that it's at the shelter, and if they continue to give no shits and not come get him (likely) she'll adopt him herself then continue her re-homing efforts.

That's a good way to get him euthed if it's a lovely shelter, and a whole slew of shelters are lovely. Just go over to the neighbors and be straight with them. Hell, they might not even want the dog anymore.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Superconsndar posted:

Distractions don't work because nothing is cooler than A Girl Dog, apparently.

This same sort of thing happened between Buster (a family friend's male dog, actually one of our Boykin puppies) and Towanda (our Labrador). It had at least a more definite cause: once Buster came over to visit when he was about 9 months old and scheduled for the snip in a week or so and Towanda was in heat and in a large run area. He was absolutely smitten and it seemed to hardwire something in his little dog brain because months later, after he had been fixed and Towanda was way out of estrus (and I believe at that point spayed as well), he came to spend a week with us while his owners were out of town and he acted just like you describe Moses doing.

We had to keep them separate most of the time because if they were outside together it would devolve into Towanda sitting down to stop the sneak attack humping attempts and him standing a few yards away shivering in excitement but not daring to get any closer because she would bite his face off. Then one day... he no longer gave a poo poo and everyone was OK.

Dogs are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Someone brought a horse to the dog park, this afternoon. Devo wasn't really pleased to have to stand in the mud and Stay while I got her in the shot.

140 lb intact male Bloodhound, I need to get a picture of him, he's a gorgeous animal and I didn't have any idea they could get so big.

• Locked thread