Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I played up to the point where Marston Senior dies and I never encountered Herbert Moon. Where is he and how did I miss him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

I played up to the point where Marston Senior dies and I never encountered Herbert Moon. Where is he and how did I miss him?

Herbert Moon is the shopkeeper of the store next to the Armadillo saloon and a poker player in the saloon as well. Hit those places up so you can hear how he sells all-american goods free of foreign influence and who he thinks is ruining America.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I completed RDR once years ago and loved it, but I never tried the Undead Nightmare content, is it true that I just play through the game totally normally until I get back to John's home and then everything goes to zombie poo poo?

Because if so it sounds like the perfect complement to a second playthrough :3:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

TehGherkin posted:

I completed RDR once years ago and loved it, but I never tried the Undead Nightmare content, is it true that I just play through the game totally normally until I get back to John's home and then everything goes to zombie poo poo?

Because if so it sounds like the perfect complement to a second playthrough :3:

If I recall correctly, you can start Undead Nightmare at any point. It's separate from the main game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Undead Nightmare is its own beast; it spoils the hell out of the main campaign but starts off around the time John returns to his ranch near the end of RDR and splits off from what happens in the main game. No stats or weapons or outfits are carried over to UN. I highly recommend it, though. Also Herbert Moon plays a minor part in it and it's fantastic.

E;fb

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Mushball posted:

Herbert Moon is the shopkeeper of the store next to the Armadillo saloon and a poker player in the saloon as well. Hit those places up so you can hear how he sells all-american goods free of foreign influence and who he thinks is ruining America.

On my Xbox playthroughs I never encountered him outside of selling him a load of dead animals and flowers, but I'm playing through RDR again on the PS3 and every single time I ride into Armadillo the stupid old bastard is being robbed. I used to hog-tie the thief up and laugh at Herbert kicking them in the head, but now I just let them go. Hell, I'd give them a hand if they asked.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Stare-Out posted:

Undead Nightmare is its own beast; it spoils the hell out of the main campaign but starts off around the time John returns to his ranch near the end of RDR and splits off from what happens in the main game. No stats or weapons or outfits are carried over to UN. I highly recommend it, though. Also Herbert Moon plays a minor part in it and it's fantastic.

E;fb

HER

BERT

MOON!

I'M HERBERT MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

I've been wanting to start this up again but the main story doesn't have a horse made of god drat fire and that saddens me deeply :(

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If only they'd put out a PC version so someone could mod it and merge the content... I'd love to chase down Bill Williamson on a horse that makes people explode when you trample them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fuzz posted:

If only they'd put out a PC version so someone could mod it and merge the content... I'd love to chase down Bill Williamson on a horse that makes people explode when you trample them.

Could you imagine how impossible/fun that would make cattle herding?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

I've been wanting to start this up again but the main story doesn't have a horse made of god drat fire and that saddens me deeply :(

I've been replaying the main game and playing through undead nightmare for the first time at the same time, and it's really disconcerting to switch between the two and realize that my trusty old warhorse feels pathetic because he just doesn't have infinite stamina. And what must people think of John when he rides into town on demons?

This is a really good game, I don't think I can ever say it enough.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I just picked up the GOTY edition, is multiplayer still alive?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

My understanding is that it's awash with hackers and so Friendly Free Roam is the only real option.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Is the digital Undead Nightmare DLC standalone or is it only the disc version that is?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Both versions are standalone.

Well, you need to own the base game obviously, but the two don't interact.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ray and Shirley posted:

Both versions are standalone.

Well, you need to own the base game obviously, but the two don't interact.

From what I remember, the disc is standalone. The one you download requires the base game. The disc version also includes some other DLC packs too.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ray and Shirley posted:

My understanding is that it's awash with hackers and so Friendly Free Roam is the only real option.

Really? That's a shame. Hardcore Free Roam was insanely fun years ago when the game was more active (and hackers weren't a thing). Friendly Free Roam just isn't the same :(

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

fennesz posted:

Really? That's a shame. Hardcore Free Roam was insanely fun years ago when the game was more active (and hackers weren't a thing). Friendly Free Roam just isn't the same :(

I've been playing free roam again the past couple of days and I haven't seen any hackers, just one guy who had done the invincibility glitch and was using it to be a dick. Everybody left the server pretty quickly. Is the hacking just a problem on the 360 or have I been really lucky not to run into any on the PS3?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Nevermind, 5 finger rhythm came to me eventually.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 11, 2013

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

Tufty posted:

I've been playing free roam again the past couple of days and I haven't seen any hackers, just one guy who had done the invincibility glitch and was using it to be a dick. Everybody left the server pretty quickly. Is the hacking just a problem on the 360 or have I been really lucky not to run into any on the PS3?

I haven't seen it on PS3 but then again I haven't played free roam much lately.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Did they ever fix the unicorn glitch in undead nightmare? It was one of the best glitches in the game if you did it in the streets of Armadillo :allears:

http://youtu.be/rPd7YFlpo3k?t=1m11s

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

Orcrez posted:

Did they ever fix the unicorn glitch in undead nightmare? It was one of the best glitches in the game if you did it in the streets of Armadillo :allears:

http://youtu.be/rPd7YFlpo3k?t=1m11s

And I thought I had seen all the glitches!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I just started a new game on this trying to get low honor to see what all the NPC responses would look like. What's the deal with the eyewitness mechanics? It almost seems like the game must generate a witness as soon as I commit a crime, I'll hold someone up in the middle of nowhere and then someone even further into nowhere will spot me somehow, or a random dude will bust into an abandoned bank at night right as I finish cracking a safe.

Also, it seems like it's kind of a pain to keep low honor with how much positive honor the missions hand out. I guess I need to shoot up the entire city of Armadillo or something.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I've found that if I'm nearby a road then it's more likely someone is going to see you. If you can manage to get someone further out into the middle-of-nowhere then it seems like it's less likely someone will see you.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Decided to pick up the GoTY after reading back through this thread. Had the original when it first came out, but the other half's kid brother deleted my safe and I sold the game after that.

Really can't wait to be a bitchin' gunslinger again :)

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I just started a new game on this trying to get low honor to see what all the NPC responses would look like. What's the deal with the eyewitness mechanics? It almost seems like the game must generate a witness as soon as I commit a crime, I'll hold someone up in the middle of nowhere and then someone even further into nowhere will spot me somehow, or a random dude will bust into an abandoned bank at night right as I finish cracking a safe.

Also, it seems like it's kind of a pain to keep low honor with how much positive honor the missions hand out. I guess I need to shoot up the entire city of Armadillo or something.

I think the bandana can keep you from gaining honor, as well as losing it. I could be wrong though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ColdCock posted:

I think the bandana can keep you from gaining honor, as well as losing it. I could be wrong though.
Yeah. On my first playthrough I did many of the Mexico missions with the bandana on (dumb MY IMMERSION type thing; I figured that Marston might not want to get easily recognized while playing both sides :spergin:), and as a result I didn't max out my honor until after the main plot was finished.

e: Or am I confusing honor with fame now? It's been a while since I played this.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 25, 2013

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

It seems to at least still let you gain fame in random side quests, I haven't noticed in missions. I've been rescuing people with the bandana on so I don't get any honor and then taking it off and holding them up after they thank me, so I guess my guy comes across as a total lunatic.

The first time I played through I think I only got my fame meter like halfway up after beating the game and doing a large number of the sidequests. I noticed that robberies give you a decent amount of fame though. I've been robbing Herbert Moon every time I leave Armadillo.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Aside from a brief venture into online zombie-killing mode a few weeks ago, I haven't really touched this game in months. That said, when I was last playing it, I was doing a replay of the game in the "Hardcore" mode that many goons have suggested previously - no mini-map, manual aim, etc. One thing I noticed is that cougars were much more prevalent. During my first play through, I don't think I ran into any until the missions started focusing on the fort in the Rio Bravo area. Even after that, I didn't run into too many outside of that area until I got to the Great Plains. During my replay, those things were everywhere. I would even find them in McFarlane's ranch, if I used bait. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bonnie's a nice girl, dammit. No reason for namecalling :mad:

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I still play multiplayer sometimes, hackers can be annoying but they aren't omnipresent. The worst are the ones who have fully automatic explosive rifles, even if you are on Friendly Free Roam they can kill you by knocking you so high into the sky that you die on impact when you come down.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CopywrightMMXI posted:

One thing I noticed is that cougars were much more prevalent. During my first play through, I don't think I ran into any until the missions started focusing on the fort in the Rio Bravo area. Even after that, I didn't run into too many outside of that area until I got to the Great Plains. During my replay, those things were everywhere. I would even find them in McFarlane's ranch, if I used bait. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Last night I was playing the PS3 version of RDR and doing the first part of American Appetites. I came across a boar near the pile of bones and thought "Well that's a bit weird, I've never seen a boar in this part of the map, I guess I'll kill..."

Before I managed to finish that thought, a loving cougar came up behind me and killed my horse. :catstare: Cougars and boars in the hills near Hanging Rock, what the hell.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
That site was my first run-in with a cougar, way back at release. I've not seen a cougar there since, but I still get the cougar creepies when I roll through.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I picked this up again after 3 years (seriously, where's our sequel?!) and was playing last night. I rode my horse in the dark up to Hannigan's Stead and saw a man standing at the edge of the cliff (not The Stranger, but a different guy). I trotted over to take a look and saw a lone native american just standing there in the moonlight. He didn't say anything as I circled around him. He seemed content just to soak up the night. So I pushed him off the cliff.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Braincloud posted:

I picked this up again after 3 years (seriously, where's our sequel?!) and was playing last night. I rode my horse in the dark up to Hannigan's Stead and saw a man standing at the edge of the cliff (not The Stranger, but a different guy). I trotted over to take a look and saw a lone native american just standing there in the moonlight. He didn't say anything as I circled around him. He seemed content just to soak up the night. So I pushed him off the cliff.

Historically accurate!

We'll probably hear something after GTAV's release. Rockstar usually releases one major title a year, so maybe we'll get an announcement for something next year? Even that might be too soon.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Wazzit posted:

Historically accurate!

We'll probably hear something after GTAV's release. Rockstar usually releases one major title a year, so maybe we'll get an announcement for something next year? Even that might be too soon.

I'm still hoping for a PC port.

I know deep down it'll never happen though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

6EQUJ5 posted:

I'm still hoping for a PC port.

I would love a sequel on next-gen consoles, but honestly I'd be just as visually impressed and entertained by a PC port of RDR. It's been long enough since I played that it would feel pretty new to me and the graphics would be superior enough to consoles to almost feel like a sequel anyway. I guess it's just hard to imagine how they're going to top RDR story-wise anyway so why not just replay the game I know I'll love?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A PC version will never happen due to all the messy coding due to the games long development. From what they've said they'd have to redo stuff from scratch or take serious amounts of time and manpower to straighten it out enough to run on a PC.

Also I bet we don't get a sequel announcement till a year after GTA V is out, because we know Bully 2 has been in production for a while now, and it's probably their next thing.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah as much as I would love a PC version, and I'd even accept a crappy Xbox port at this point, I can accept that it's not going to happen unless R* have a massive change of heart.

I hope though that if they do decide to do a follow up game for the next-gen consoles there will be a PC version too. It concerns me slightly that GTAV hasn't been announce for PC yet, but I assume that it will be eventually, as will Bully 2, then.... fingers crossed.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

TheJoker138 posted:

A PC version will never happen due to all the messy coding due to the games long development. From what they've said they'd have to redo stuff from scratch or take serious amounts of time and manpower to straighten it out enough to run on a PC.

Also I bet we don't get a sequel announcement till a year after GTA V is out, because we know Bully 2 has been in production for a while now, and it's probably their next thing.

How do we know Bully 2 has been in production for awhile? This is good news if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kashwashwa posted:

How do we know Bully 2 has been in production for awhile? This is good news if true.

The most official thing I've seen about it was Shawn Lee tweeting back in 2009 or so that he was working on the soundtrack for Bully 2.

• Locked thread