Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Probably the best place for this: I can afford to buy expect to recieve either a Wii U or a PS Vita. In the Vita corner, I have PS+ and I'm thinking of buying Persona 4. In the Wii U corner, I still have Xenoblade which I've barely touched. What's the better value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Walker posted:

Probably the best place for this: I can afford to buy expect to recieve either a Wii U or a PS Vita. In the Vita corner, I have PS+ and I'm thinking of buying Persona 4. In the Wii U corner, I still have Xenoblade which I've barely touched. What's the better value?

Persona 4 will run you about 50-60 hours, average. Xenoblade has a minimum playtime (not including the mountain of sidequests in each area) of 80 hours. They are both really good games, however.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

Captain Walker posted:

I have only played 10 hours of Xenoblade, but I have really enjoyed it. It introduces the game mechanics at a good clip and has lots of fun concepts to tinker with. So while neither system has a true killer app, I would lean toward the Wii U.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What is the definitive puzzle bobble/bust a move experience? Other than arcade cabinets, if it's an arcade cabinet.

I'd go with Bust a Move 4, which came out on like every platform at the time; PS1, Dreamcast, GBA, etc.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and am replaying the Saboteur because I like it even better. What similar games should I look at? I couldn't get into Far Cry 3 or the Just Causes. I guess I feel like SD and the Saboteur are interesting to me because of the location and atmosphere. I wish Rockstar would remake GTA London 1969.

blk fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 22, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Might be worth considering Red Faction: Guerilla. It's a pretty great open world game and definitely has a unique atmosphere, although how much you like it may depend on your feelings toward explosions.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Tagra posted:

Have you played the Anno games? Not entirely sandboxy though I guess, since the manufacturing chains are pretty linear, but making efficient use of your space takes some thought.

Or patrician if you like building up a trade empire, but the building elements are a little shallow.

I enjoyed Anno 1404 I think it was, not a fan of the new one, have it with the expansion and there's just something missing.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ceasar and Pharaoh are both amazing city-building games. Ceasar III is probably the most popular of the bunch, but I think Pharoah deserves an honourable mention because of it's absolutely epic pyramid projects.

Edit: Trade/war with other cities and appeasing crazy gods is there as well, so lots of stuff to sink your teeth into apart from the actual city building. Constructing industries and supply chains makes up a big part of the games too.

I will have to look into Caesar III, this isn't the first time I've heard good things about it.

Pomp posted:

As already mention, it's time for you to dive into the wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Your_first_fortress

Haha is there a way to make this game not look like a bunch of ascii characters? The concept seems great, not sure if I could handle the "UI".

edit: Found the Lazy Newb Pack, going to try this.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 23, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

ModeSix posted:

Haha is there a way to make this game not look like a bunch of ascii characters? The concept seems great, not sure if I could handle the "UI".

There are tilesets but they're not always the easiest to set up:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository

[edit] Whoops I guess you probably want graphics instead
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

chairface posted:

I'd go with Bust a Move 4, which came out on like every platform at the time; PS1, Dreamcast, GBA, etc.

Guess I'll get the GBA one, hope it's good. Thanks.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Guess I'll get the GBA one, hope it's good. Thanks.
It's GBC, actually. I remember enjoying it at the time.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Regarding city builders, I've also been playing Tropico 4 and enjoying it but I'm feeling that a change of setting is in order.

What medieval/fantasy city builders are available/good? I feel like managing one of those cartoony way too clean and quaint small fantasy villages/towns. Doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy I just want something pseudo-medievalesque, lighthearted and colorful instead of something where you manage a brown village full of shitfarmers.

Also I'm not too much into micromanagement so something like tropico where I can just give general orders and trust that my little dudes can do their jobs would be good.

How's the majesty series? Any good?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Okasvi posted:

Regarding city builders, I've also been playing Tropico 4 and enjoying it but I'm feeling that a change of setting is in order.

What medieval/fantasy city builders are available/good? I feel like managing one of those cartoony way too clean and quaint small fantasy villages/towns. Doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy I just want something pseudo-medievalesque, lighthearted and colorful instead of something where you manage a brown village full of shitfarmers.

Also I'm not too much into micromanagement so something like tropico where I can just give general orders and trust that my little dudes can do their jobs would be good.

There's a kind of old one available, quite good, not medieval, set in ancient Egypt. Children of the Nile. It's a few years old, but good stuff.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Okasvi posted:

Majesty is a bit unique and people seem to either love it or hate it. You don't really control much, you put buildings down to spawn people or items and can offer rewards for objectives completed, and the dudes run around and do their own thing. So you can convince them to complete a task by offering awesome rewards for it, but there's not much else you can do but watch them do stuff, get money, buy upgrades, and venture off into the unknown. It also means they can make really dumb decisions and your best guys can get waxed and leave you scrambling when things come to crush the town.

The difficulty curve is a bit ridiculous too, so I hope you like challenges...

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'm in the mood for something cute, but RPGish. Anyone have something along the lines of Magical Starshine, Chantelise, Fortune Summoners or a cutesy old school Final Fantasy type game?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

I'm in the mood for something cute, but RPGish. Anyone have something along the lines of Magical Starshine, Chantelise, Fortune Summoners or a cutesy old school Final Fantasy type game?

Ni No Kuni is almost exactly what you're looking for, which is why it's unfortunate that the gameplay is pretty poorly designed. I'd look into it, and see if it's still something you'd enjoy.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Legend Of Heroes: Trails in the Sky isn't exactly cute, but it's pretty lighthearted for the most part.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Heres a weird one - I'm looking for any game that is free and able to be downloaded as an already-unpacked game. I'm unable to install anything on the computer I sit at for most of the day and would love something to occupy me when I'm not working. Thanks in advance!

Alternatively if anyone wanted to unpack something into a .zip and dropbox it for me you'd be the sweetest goons ever.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Try a flash game? Bubble Bees filled that role for me a long time ago.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Heres a weird one - I'm looking for any game that is free and able to be downloaded as an already-unpacked game. I'm unable to install anything on the computer I sit at for most of the day and would love something to occupy me when I'm not working. Thanks in advance!

Alternatively if anyone wanted to unpack something into a .zip and dropbox it for me you'd be the sweetest goons ever.

Many roguelikes have this. I believe the free version of Stealth Bastard is the same way.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Try a flash game? Bubble Bees filled that role for me a long time ago.

Unfourtunately we're running internet explorer 8 with no flash for some reason.

E: Nevermind, it works! thanks.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I am craving for a city builder type of game, though it could have some mild combat features.

I absolutely loved the Caesar games, Zeus, Pharaoh, children of the Nile, and am looking for something along those lines but a bit more recently released. (children of the Nile is recent enough, but i played through it a few months ago)
Preferably with a non-modern setting (could never get into anno 2070)
Anyone have any recommendations?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What about Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery? It's on Gamersgate.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Like Crusader Kings 2, are there any other games out there that truly let me scheme? That game's capacity to let me contrive and execute my own plots has impressed me. Do any other games come close?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I am craving for a city builder type of game, though it could have some mild combat features.

I absolutely loved the Caesar games, Zeus, Pharaoh, children of the Nile, and am looking for something along those lines but a bit more recently released. (children of the Nile is recent enough, but i played through it a few months ago)
Preferably with a non-modern setting (could never get into anno 2070)
Anyone have any recommendations?

Have you played any of the Tropico games?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Regarding my earlier question about medievalesque citybuilders, is Anno 1404 any good? I noticed that it's no longer available through steam and some cursory digging brings up some DRM shenaningas. If it's worth buying, is it safe to get the Gold version straight from uPlay or are there any hidden pitfalls I should be aware of?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Anno 1404 is amazing. There's a reason the thread for it was titled "I 'occidentally' played for 8 hours"

I think the reason it got yanked from steam was because there was a bug that would occasionally (frequently...) wipe your save files. A patch for it came out quickly, but there was some problem where Ubisoft wouldn't release the patch to the Steam version, so it got yanked from the store. I have the steam version and was able to patch it manually, but it's kind of dumb.

All I remember about DRM was there was a big deal made out of them patching it out of most versions...

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Okasvi posted:

Regarding my earlier question about medievalesque citybuilders, is Anno 1404 any good? I noticed that it's no longer available through steam and some cursory digging brings up some DRM shenaningas. If it's worth buying, is it safe to get the Gold version straight from uPlay or are there any hidden pitfalls I should be aware of?

It's really great. If you have any interest in 'medievalesque citybuilders' Anno 1404 is the game. Venice adds some cool stuff, but there is so much content in the base game the expansion isn't necessary to enjoy it.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Coming from someone who has never played Anno 1404, I'm currently playing Anno 2070 and liking it a great deal; especially with the whole meta-game aspect with resources and research. Throughout the forums and the internet in general the consensus seems to be that 1404 is the better game. Are there specific reasons for this? I would've thought 2070 was the pinnacle of the series with everything it has going for it but some people didn't seem to take to it anywhere near as much as 1404.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tagra posted:

Anno 1404 is amazing. There's a reason the thread for it was titled "I 'occidentally' played for 8 hours"

I think the reason it got yanked from steam was because there was a bug that would occasionally (frequently...) wipe your save files. A patch for it came out quickly, but there was some problem where Ubisoft wouldn't release the patch to the Steam version, so it got yanked from the store. I have the steam version and was able to patch it manually, but it's kind of dumb.

All I remember about DRM was there was a big deal made out of them patching it out of most versions...

I need to figure out how to run that patch at some point here. I'd sort of like to give 1404 another go, but I bought the Steam version.

Also, do I need to reinstall both in order, or just Venice or...?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lugaloco posted:

Coming from someone who has never played Anno 1404, I'm currently playing Anno 2070 and liking it a great deal; especially with the whole meta-game aspect with resources and research. Throughout the forums and the internet in general the consensus seems to be that 1404 is the better game. Are there specific reasons for this? I would've thought 2070 was the pinnacle of the series with everything it has going for it but some people didn't seem to take to it anywhere near as much as 1404.

I think it's mainly the setting change people didn't like. The basic gameplay is almost identical. I like all the future gizmos and whatnot of 2070, but there is a definite charm in the old world ships and buildings in 1404.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Also, do I need to reinstall both in order, or just Venice or...?

You can just tell Steam to install Venice, but it will install both since they share assets. You don't have to specifically install both though.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Tagra posted:

Majesty is a bit unique and people seem to either love it or hate it. You don't really control much, you put buildings down to spawn people or items and can offer rewards for objectives completed, and the dudes run around and do their own thing. So you can convince them to complete a task by offering awesome rewards for it, but there's not much else you can do but watch them do stuff, get money, buy upgrades, and venture off into the unknown. It also means they can make really dumb decisions and your best guys can get waxed and leave you scrambling when things come to crush the town.

The difficulty curve is a bit ridiculous too, so I hope you like challenges...
You cast spells on your peeps, too, which makes all the difference. A well timed Invisibility spell will can save the life of your low level Wizard, which allows him to grow up into a fearsome instrument of destruction; or for example the Change of Heart spell would cause your overconfident hero to run away from unfair fights.

Majesty is a great game, just unlike a normal city builder like Tropico.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Some of the later levels in Majesty are almost impossibly hard. I had to resort to a walkthrough and they were full of instructions along the lines of "AS SOON AS THE MAP STARTS, make sure to build this building and upgrade this and that" because otherwise you'd lose. It's a fantastic game though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If I really, really liked Metal Gear AC!D, what other games will I like?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm looking for first-person puzzle games in the vein of Antichamber, Kairo and QUBE.

Anyone?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fintilgin posted:

Weird question here.

Okay, so I've never played a sports game in my life. I don't like or follow professional sports. But I find myself sorta intrigued by the idea of some of the sports management games, as I do like complex strategy/building/management games. They seem like they'd have an interesting mix of light rpg/stat building, economic management, strategy layer, and campaign play. All those things appeal strongly to me. What I'm thinking is I don't like Caribbean dictatorships, but Tropico is fun, and I don't like going to the hospital, but Theme Hospital is fun, so are any of these games really fun as games even if you're not a fan/follower of the sport?

Like, I don't even know the rules of soccer/football, so is there fun to be had with a game like (for example) Football Manager 2013? Or are these sorts of games primarily for fanatics for a given sport in the way a game like Train Simulator is primarily for those who fetishize locomotives? :shobon:

EDIT: And if so what would be a good, fun entry game?

EDIT EDIT: I'm picturing Monster Rancher, but with a horde of sweaty men kicking things around instead of dinosaurs fighting fairies.

In case anyone else had the same question, after checking out the demos for Football Manager and Out of the Park Baseball, I think I have a pretty solid answer.

No.

Good god, no. :stare:

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Fintilgin posted:

In case anyone else had the same question, after checking out the demos for Football Manager and Out of the Park Baseball, I think I have a pretty solid answer.

No.

Good god, no. :stare:

If you want to get into Football Manager, you should read this LP first: http://www.runofplay.com/category/vercelli/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Malkar posted:

If you want to get into Football Manager, you should read this LP first: http://www.runofplay.com/category/vercelli/

I skimmed through parts of that, and it's probably fun and epic, but let me just be clear. I was not in any way exaggerating or using hyperbole when I said I didn't even know the rules for Soccer. My knowledge of the rules of the sport :siren:literally:siren: begins and ends with the fact I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to use your hands. I have actually, honestly never watched a soccer game in my life. I was curious if someone like me could pick up and enjoy one of these games and play it like "Soccer Tycoon", the way I might play Railroad Tycoon or Roller Coaster Tycoon.

That was a no.

But I did find myself strangely fascinated by the games. There's so much crazy detail, and the weird dialogue sequences in Football Manager had me pretending I was playing Planescape: Soccer, storming out of press conferences, screaming at my players after I assigned them totally random positions on the field, wishing for paragon/renegade responses, etc. I can only imagine that if I was a fan of either sport I would be madly in love with these games and sink hundreds of hours into them.

Honestly, if it wasn't 40$ I'd be awfully tempted to do a comedy Let's Play where I fumbled my way around and tried to do the best I could despite the fact I didn't know what I was doing.

A Coach who didn't play by the Rules
A Team who never stopped believing in themselves
A season of miracles disasters

Maybe if it's 75% of in a Steam sale. :v:

Alphagabe
Aug 13, 2004

Much better than gummy bears.
Started playing Xcom recently and I really like it, but I would love it if it were a fantasy setting. Anything out there that would scratch this itch?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alphagabe posted:

Started playing Xcom recently and I really like it, but I would love it if it were a fantasy setting. Anything out there that would scratch this itch?

One of the Fire Emblem games would probably do it. If you have a PS3 there's also Valkyria Chronicles, but that's a WWII setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Why won't the release a "Football Manager" for Hockey :smith:. I tried the demo of it and I'm disinterested enough in soccer/football that I couldn't really get into it, but I saw enough that if it were for hockey... oh man.

I'm still waiting on the new hockey manager game from OOTP but it looks like they're planning on using existing leagues again, and I really want one that lets me form a completely fantasy league and go from there. I'm playing Powerplay Manager's hockey league and it's really good, but it's a browser game and I want something I can click "next day" on :sigh:

Someone go program it. You have one guaranteed customer already, how can you lose!
(actually I'd probably wait for a Steam sale...)