Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stuntman posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Shadow of Chernobyl lack an over/under?

Correct. It came with the assets, but it had to be added to the game via modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Stuntman posted:

You know, it's been a while since I've played the first one, but I think you might be right. I know the over/under was heavily used in the promo material for SoC, was in several of the betas and I think was even in the game files at launch, but isn't actually in the final game.

e:f,b

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
This discussion makes me want huge doom levels. People give me huge doom levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

gooby on rails posted:

A map only helps when you don't support room-over-room. Some of the levels in Marathon 2 and especially Infinity are utterly incomprehensible on the map view.

What are you talking about? :confused: Marathon maps are perfectly legible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

horse mans posted:

This discussion makes me want huge doom levels. People give me huge doom levels.

Hope you really want huge: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11438

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

horse mans posted:

I can't remember what it was called, but some insane bastard stitched all of Doom II's levels into one seamless map. That sounds right up your alley :v:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like level design where you backtrack over the same areas a little because, basically, it mirrors what we do in real life. We go back and forth to the same few places for a while, have new and evolving experiences, and eventually, in some sense, "conquer" those places. Or at least it's what we want to do. There's something innately satisfying about that. And so it makes for a satisfying game, too. Each level (or "area" in a more Half-Life style game) you complete is a little victory, building up to the big victory at the end of the game.

In 100% linear games, you don't really get that sense of victory until the very end, and even when you do, you almost feel like you stumbled into it. It's harder to look back and remember how you got there. In order for level design to be memorable, we need a chance to actually memorize it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mak0rz posted:

I can't remember what it was called, but some insane bastard stitched all of Doom II's levels into one seamless map. That sounds right up your alley :v:

Memorial. It's not worth playing, since it's... well, exactly what you'd expect it to be, and nothing else.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Memorial. It's not worth playing, since it's... well, exactly what you'd expect it to be, and nothing else.

I could see it working if its just like every 4 or 5 levels stitched together, maybe some Doom 1 in.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

RyokoTK posted:

The way it handles keys and secrets is not terrible, and it does have the potential to be the Metroidvania that some people think Doom is. It just isn't. Also it doesn't work with a lot of mods if they mess with monster AI.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red_Mage posted:

The way it handles keys and secrets is not terrible, and it does have the potential to be the Metroidvania that some people think Doom is. It just isn't. Also it doesn't work with a lot of mods if they mess with monster AI.

Most levels don't do too well with mods that mess with monster AI.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Red_Mage posted:

It also doesn't do coop well. At all. Lots of one-time-use switches and pathways.
So basically the amount of things you can actually use it for is somewhere between "not a lot" and "even less".

It's a shame, since it's a nice idea. Really cements the whole "one man's trek into the bowels of Hell" feel, since it's an actual trek and not just hit switch end level repeat. And there's been a lot of clever architecture tweaks in order to make all the levels fit together.
It just...needs a lot more polish, and a lot more original stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RyokoTK posted:

I never claimed it was good. I could only suffer a few minutes of it myself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

What level is this? Is it from a scenario?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 2, 2013

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

Marathon maps don't even need to be complicated to be incomprehensible

I'm positive Bungie made 5-D Space just so it could be mentioned in every "What the gently caress, Marathon" conversation ever

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mak0rz posted:

I remember this map. It's the most brutal map on Survival mode.

Makes me want an Ultimate Doom version.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

gooby on rails posted:

A map only helps when you don't support room-over-room. Some of the levels in Marathon 2 and especially Infinity are utterly incomprehensible on the map view.

Metroid Prime did it alright. Sure it took getting used too but once you're comfy you're mostly set for good.

http://jansenprice.com/metroid/met5_mp/mp_3dmaps.html

To be fair 'tho, we can debate how heavily "3D" this map really is. It doesn't overlap very often at all. I think Prime 2/3 might have done that more but its been forever since i played them.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Stuntman posted:

It's dummied out, but with some modding you can get it.
It also becomes immediately obvious why it got dummied out: it deals more damage then the RPG :getin:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dominic White posted:

I've played quite a few Doom mods and levels which are effectively straight linear advances with no maze-like elements or poking around for arbitrary secrets. It still manages to feel like Doom more often than not due to the rhythm of the combat. You're the fastest, most powerful thing on the battlefield, but one or two solid hits can wreck you. Speed and maneuverability at your main defensive attributes, and just backpedalling like Serious Sam doesn't help much, as many of your guns are either wide hitscan (shotguns) or slow projectiles (rockets, plasma) that enemies can easily move away from, so the best place to be fighting is right up close.

Serious Sam effectively gives you timed combat encounters. You've got X monsters approaching you from Y distance, and they'll all slightly faster than you can run backwards, so you have until either they catch up or you hit a wall to safely throw artillery down-range and thin out the herd safely.

Key-hunts in Doom might stick in the mind, but they're not really gameplay - they're just arbitrary colored points at key (ha) points in a given level. They're window dressing. Remove them and just make the level a long, linear stretch of setpieces and you'd have the same effect, so long as the combat was up to par.

Words cannot express how much I disagree with this post.

elf help book posted:

A decade of hallways has destroyed the modern gamer's spatial visualization ability. By now, many cannot find the out of their own homes!
Exactly. Spatial navigation is fun that people have forgotten how to have.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 2, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So I just remembered that IMFDB exists.

quote:

Condemned: Criminal Origins
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Operation Flashpoint
Fallout: New Vegas
Condemned: Criminal Origins
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl(TOZ-34, the weapon is in the original game's files but inaccessible, but available in the stand-alone expansion)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Resident Evil 0 as the Hunting Gun
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Alan Wake
Serious Sam Double D
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Uncharted 3

A pretty short list, with no early FPSs. Strange that they don't show up more often, given the potential for awesome reload animations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Words cannot express how much I disagree with this post.

If only you'd read my other posts where I hold up a bunch of levels as great examples of how you can have complex interlinked environments that flow well. ZDCMP2 is one of my favourite mods in years. I'm just saying that it's the atmosphere and combat that are the core of Doom. Key hunts (and their even more arbitrary cousin, switch hunts) are just optional window-dressing - they may add context when done right, but when executed badly can completely kill gameplay flow.

I was mostly responding to the people that seem to hold up the idea of getting completely lost and having no idea where to go next as a positive thing.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 2, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody mentioned it a page ago, but it didn't really get much attention. This new Quake editor is really amazing; cross-platform and has lots of functionality, really easy to use:

http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/

Carmack himself just linked to it and now the page is getting hosed.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Why did level hubs never catch on? I remember them being one of the features everyone thought was gonna be big, but they seem to have disappeared after 1998. Some high-profile games, like Quake 2 and, to a lesser extent, Half-Life 1, had them. By 2001 it seems like everyone forgot they existed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadowmorn posted:

Metroid Prime did it alright. Sure it took getting used too but once you're comfy you're mostly set for good.

http://jansenprice.com/metroid/met5_mp/mp_3dmaps.html

To be fair 'tho, we can debate how heavily "3D" this map really is. It doesn't overlap very often at all. I think Prime 2/3 might have done that more but its been forever since i played them.

Not really. Most of Metroid Prime's (1, 2, or 3) maps have little overlap. If I remember right it was a design decision by Retro to make navigating less frustrating.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'd imagine level hubs never caught on because having to walk back across 3 maps (that are for the most part empty since you passed through the first time) to find a door or switch or something is the complete opposite of fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So I finally checked out "Cheogsh", a massive level that takes advantage of a lot of GZDoom-features. The result is something distinctly reminiscent of Quake, with ample darkness, grotesque architecture, and a real "netherworld" vibe.

I'm such a sucker for colored lighting, it's disgusting. It's like I'm back in 1997 :swoon:

Or no lighting at all! Doom WADs remind me that so many games are reluctant to give you true darkness. Creeping through a dark crypt with 6 health and a SxS shotgun, fighting semi-invisible monsters...that's magic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The concept of hubs (in that you can revisit areas) hasn't entirely disappeared, it has instead moved on to FPS/RPG hybrids.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So is Hexen 2 fair game here? If so I have a question. Is it MEANT to be so hard to figure anything out? Was there some list in the manual listing everything to do I missed out on by going digital with it? I can't tell what I'm doing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So I finally checked out "Cheogsh", a massive level that takes advantage of a lot of GZDoom-features. The result is something distinctly reminiscent of Quake, with ample darkness, grotesque architecture, and a real "netherworld" vibe.

I'm such a sucker for colored lighting, it's disgusting. It's like I'm back in 1997 :swoon:

Or no lighting at all! Doom WADs remind me that so many games are reluctant to give you true darkness. Creeping through a dark crypt with 6 health and a SxS shotgun, fighting semi-invisible monsters...that's magic.

There was another Quake-looking Doom map a long time ago, wasn't there? I'm trying to find it.

edit: Putrefier.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There's a Cheogsh 2 and 3 (Realm of Cheogsh), too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

There's a Cheogsh 2 and 3 (Realm of Cheogsh), too.

Is that what it's called? "Realm of Cheogsh"? Nice, I remember searching for "Cheogsh 3" and not finding anything, so this is good news.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There was another Quake-looking Doom map a long time ago, wasn't there? I'm trying to find it.

edit: Putrefier.

Yes. Putrefier is another really good map, especially when you're in the mood for a Quake-like theme.

Also, "Demons of Problematique 2" starts off with a very Quake-like vibe--down to copying the "choose your difficulty" section where higher difficulties required you to weave around obstacles to select them--but it seems to lose it shortly thereafter.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Considering all the mindblowing stuff that comes out of Doom modding I'm surprised I've never seen a full polygonal remake of any original Doom levels.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Considering all the mindblowing stuff that comes out of Doom modding I'm surprised I've never seen a full polygonal remake of any original Doom levels.

There's been tons of people who've straight up converted Doom levels to various other level formats, I distinctly remember one for Quake II for example. They don't tend to work out very well because of enemy and weapon balances in other engines...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's at least one complete mod for Doom 3 that ports over/updates Doom 1 levels, but as mentioned, it really doesn't work unless you bring over every other gameplay aspect.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, I meant inside of GZDoom. Would the game still work if it were in GZDoom, but with full 3D models for everything?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Oh, I meant inside of GZDoom. Would the game still work if it were in GZDoom, but with full 3D models for everything?

Well GZDoom doesn't really support fully polygonal levels since it's still the Doom engine at its heart. People have made 3d model replacements for all the sprite based objects in Doom for years and you can use them and the game works fine, but they usually look kind of crappy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Huh. I just found this:
http://www.prodigal-game.com/doomwads.html

Has a remake of E2M4 in GZDoom. No idea if it's terrible or what I'm looking for or anything since I can't download it right now but I'm at least going to try it out.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

xanthan posted:

So is Hexen 2 fair game here? If so I have a question. Is it MEANT to be so hard to figure anything out? Was there some list in the manual listing everything to do I missed out on by going digital with it? I can't tell what I'm doing.

This is super vague, so if you have any actual, specific questions, feel free to pose them. Hexen II is one of my favorite games, despite its numerous flaws, and I basically know it inside and out at this point. Like its predecessor, it's a hell of a switch/key/item hunt, and you're still limited to only four weapons per class, but there's something about the enemies, environment, and faux-levelup system that really grabbed me.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Huh. I just found this:
http://www.prodigal-game.com/doomwads.html

Has a remake of E2M4 in GZDoom. No idea if it's terrible or what I'm looking for or anything since I can't download it right now but I'm at least going to try it out.

I love remakes of the classic levels. Report back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This talk about huge Doom maps made me play ZDCMP2 again. I know I've talked a fair bit about this map by now (it's become one of my all-time favorite Doom wads), but the music is an underrated component. It's loving amazing, particularly the first tune, but it's absolutely great all the way through. It's too bad the music isn't apparently on Youtube because I would listen to it all day.