Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I would be disappointed if they went with someone else for Beef. I think Onstad actually kills it with the low key thing he's got going on.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

Well, Ray does tend to be kind of a weird foodie, though he does seem to really play off Teodor with that.

Also, cilantro-ape ceviche. :v:

Is it weird that I think Donald Glover could do a decent Beef?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I don't think it's necessarily a good match or close to what I would envision for the character, but I'd like to hear a Paul Giamatti take on Roast Beef.

Actually he might make a better Teodor. Neither one would be as whiny as some of his characters though.

*edit* Maybe my subconscious was just trying to tell me to watch the pilot for "The Amazing Screw-On Head" again.

Locus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 1, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I guess David Cross would work as the voice of Chucklebot. It's the only character that doesn't make me frown when considering them with his voice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eugene Hutz from Gogol Bordello should play Vlad the Makeout Bot. He's even starred in a movie before.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Darthemed posted:

I guess David Cross would work as the voice of Chucklebot. It's the only character that doesn't make me frown when considering them with his voice.

Chucklebot would be perfect with just that one old MacInTalk robot voice. Zarflax... Zaaxon... something along those lines.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eugene Hutz from Gogol Bordello should play Vlad the Makeout Bot. He's even starred in a movie before.

I always picture him as Zladko Vladcik for whatever reason.

e: Alternately, Misha Kuznetsov, the guy who voiced a different Vlad in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Vlad should be Eugene Mirman

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Maybe we could get Jon Benjamin to do a guest spot at Trouble Man.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06142004

Speaking of which, that's what I'm waiting to see out of this animation business. The humor in Achewood is great, but what hooked me were the wierd, dark stories like Cartilage Head, The Secret Ice Cream Shop, Philippe Goes To The Transfer Station, and Ray In Hell. Stories showing that the world beyond Achewood was a mad, un-safe place. If the animated version can capture that sort of ambiance, I'll be sold forever.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

WickedIcon posted:

Also, cilantro-ape ceviche. :v:

Is it weird that I think Donald Glover could do a decent Beef?

This is an intriguing thought actually. I'd like to see him give it a crack.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've always read Roast Beef as sounding a bit like Boomhauer; with a different accent and speech pattern (and more comprehensible), but with that same kind of quick soft mumble-y quality, where you always get the impression that he's talking a bit more quietly than normal.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Diedrich Bader would make a good-rear end Lie Bot and I'm going to be very disappointed if he isn't. (that was a lie, I am lying)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man, just got to Cartilage Head arc in my re-read.

I honestly don't think this could be done in any other medium. I would love to see the attempt, but I love the stillness and effort of every pane in the comic.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Man, just got to Cartilage Head arc in my re-read.

I honestly don't think this could be done in any other medium. I would love to see the attempt, but I love the stillness and effort of every pane in the comic.

Cartilage Head is only shown on screen for a half second at a time, because he is difficult to look at. He never moves on frame.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I know it's not claymation, but they could take notes from The Mysterious Stranger on how to do the cartilage head arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGGAjMg9vw

"How annoying that sound isssss"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've always read Roast Beef as sounding a bit like Boomhauer; with a different accent and speech pattern (and more comprehensible), but with that same kind of quick soft mumble-y quality, where you always get the impression that he's talking a bit more quietly than normal.

Yeah, I feel like if Donald Glover made an effort to be kind of quiet and mumbly like that he'd be perfect.

Gosh
Feb 25, 2012

How many toes do
philosophers have?
favourite comic

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05142008

animation is great, new material at least.

echo the love for roast beef.

also ray isn't right but i still like it, just need it to be more casual, hope the feedback will get it done.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Lord of Hats posted:

This right here, this is exactly what I've always imagined. The fact that Beef doesn't have even the slightest Southern twang is most unfortunate.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ray sounds like he's doing an inexpert Aziz Ansari impression.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good to see the worst character in Achewood is gonna get the most screen time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pakled posted:

This right here, this is exactly what I've always imagined. The fact that Beef doesn't have even the slightest Southern twang is most unfortunate.
You think Beef could've ever afforded to travel from California? He was born right there in East Achewood, man.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

a starwar betamax posted:

poo poo, I didn't even notice Andy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

You know, I was on the fence about Ray's voice until re-reading GOF today. Now I have a hard time hearing him any other way

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

PUKED posted:

I don't know about Ray, he's just coming off as some weird foodie in this. I mean who can even care about a dude with strong opions about Toppers.

Pictured him more as always trying to play hard and just getting all soft and eccentric and vodka soaked over the years.

It's Tapas, not Toppers, which is less about being a weird foodie and more about being en vogue and chic and trendy, which he totally is.

Ray is not soft (except in the middle which comes from living a life too good for most to afford) and has nothing to prove to anyone, except when he does.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

a starwar betamax posted:

I don't think Nice Pete's in the preview.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I like Toby Huss for Ray, but I want him to RAY THE poo poo out of that character. This was WAY too subdued. "gently caress you bitch, I'll be at Duane's" needed more. To me, Ray was always a Bill Cosby who GOT IT. Beef could be any timidly speaking person, so long as his tone could turn on a dime and be sharp and pointed. Beef knows how to cut a man with verbiage.

After hearing some of his spoken word skits and his appearance on Blamimations, as well as having earned my undying adoration for writing and singing "Corner of Dude and Catastrophe" I want MC Frontalot to voice Teodor.

Call Now posted:

Nice Pete is a funny way of spelling "Pat." I mean by personality, Pat's well written, I just want to use a complicated shiv technique to murder him.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 2, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Call Now posted:

Call Now, you a crazy person.
Go to a dungeon.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dodgeball posted:

Nice Pete is a funny way of spelling "Pat." I mean by personality, Pat's well written, I just want to use a complicated shiv technique to murder him.

On the other hand, though, you can't spell "Subway Wars" without "Pat". :v:

Zereth posted:

You think Beef could've ever afforded to travel from California? He was born right there in East Achewood, man.

Exactly, the only regular characters that have any hint of Southern origins that I can recall offhand are Nice Pete (because he has Southern ways) and maybe Lyle (because he used to manage the McDonald's in Gainesville, FL). Teodor is from Belarus, Molly's Welsh, Cornelius is (apparently) English, and Philippe is five. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that everyone else we see on a regular basis was born right there in good ol' Achewood. :cool:

E: except for maybe the various robots, who knows where they came from. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 2, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
It's too bad they couldn't have one scene in there with Ray saying "DAAAAAMN". That would really sell me on the voice if it sounded right. It sounds like a pretty good DAAAMN voice but I'm not sure.

Also would love to hear the interpretation of "rear end IN YOUR PANTS".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always interpreted Ray as a white guy who has dedicated an extraordinary effort towards not sounding like a white guy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fister Roboto posted:

I always interpreted Ray as a white guy who has dedicated an extraordinary effort towards not sounding like a white guy.

Exactly, the background and the teodor callout above solidified that in my mind. Like a not douchey and extremely awesome fred durst

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

I like Toby Huss for Ray, but I want him to RAY THE poo poo out of that character. This was WAY too subdued. "gently caress you bitch, I'll be at Duane's" needed more. To me, Ray was always a Bill Cosby who GOT IT.

[/spoiler]

Reminds me of John Daly's Bill Cosby-Bukowski
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/313e12287c/billcosby-bukowski

I think he's on drugs?
http://youtu.be/tpBLYhbljFI?t=22m38s

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Will Patton would be a good voice for Nice Pete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdDOGebqZr8

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Where does Dan Mintz fit into this production

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Cornelius is (apparently) English,

Cornelius is not from england, but his parents were1.

Footnotes:
1. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272008

withak fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 2, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

withak posted:

Cornelius is not from england, but his parents were1.

Footnotes:
1. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272008

And his girlfriend hails from one of those states you can draw with a ruler and a time limit! :v:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Like a not douchey and extremely awesome fred durst

You are a revelation.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

All right, I'll throw my hat into a ring already brimming with hats and say that *~in my opinion~*, Ray should sound like a completely white guy with a really affected and incongruous black urban inflection. Basically his "'sup, y'all"s and "dogg"s should sound fake as hell. Basically J-Roc from Trailer Park Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgoUieotWQo

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Tao Jones posted:

All right, I'll throw my hat into a ring already brimming with hats and say that *~in my opinion~*, Ray should sound like a completely white guy with a really affected and incongruous black urban inflection. Basically his "'sup, y'all"s and "dogg"s should sound fake as hell. Basically J-Roc from Trailer Park Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgoUieotWQo

That's perfect. I would totally be okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I really enjoy parts of Achewood but I hope any animated version tones down the casual misogyny.