Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metallian
May 29, 2003

Hey gang. Since the bottom fell out on the VZW Galaxy Nexus market recently, I was thinking of getting one for a friend who curses her Incredible 2 on an hourly basis.

However, I wouldn't want to get her anything that would require her to modify her current plan and get stuck charging more money for some premium data tier or some garbage. All I really know about VZW's data pricing is KILL KILL KILL so I was wondering what kind of mess this might create. She has one of the old unlimited plans, of course the Incredible 2 is 3G only and she doesn't do much with it.

My toroplus on Sprint can run CDMA only, can the VZW version do that? Does it matter? Does the toro require the SIM to work at all? Since when did CDMA ever need a SIM, what is the world coming to, etc?

TIA for any clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Unless she's using an upgrade to buy the phone on-contract, there won't be any problem with the plan. Nothing needs to change. She can just put the phone on her account. And she'll have to go to a corporate store. They'll just give her a SIM card, no problem. Yes, a SIM card is required.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Metallian posted:

However, I wouldn't want to get her anything that would require her to modify her current plan and get stuck charging more money for some premium data tier or some garbage. All I really know about VZW's data pricing is KILL KILL KILL so I was wondering what kind of mess this might create. She has one of the old unlimited plans, of course the Incredible 2 is 3G only and she doesn't do much with it.
To point one, it won't change her data plan, and premium data is a Sprint thing, except it's required for all smart phones so it's not really "premium" anymore. To point two, as stated above it won't change her data plan, provided that you purchase the handset at a non-subsidized price. E-Bay, Craigslist, giving her one of your old phones doesn't matter. I think my previous post to this point is actually still on this current page, but you would only expire a Smartphone & Web $29.99 (unl data) feature if you perform a 2 year upgrade.

Metallian posted:

My toroplus on Sprint can run CDMA only, can the VZW version do that? Does it matter? Does the toro require the SIM to work at all? Since when did CDMA ever need a SIM, what is the world coming to, etc?
The Verizon version is codename "toro" and the Sprint version which you have is "toroplus" but I think you already know this. All Verizon 4G phones now require SIM cards, Sprint just chose to implement a hacky version of this with the SIM identity burned into the hardware. CDMA has never needed SIM cards, LTE does.

Hope this clears some things up for you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Fister posted:

Someone told me that you can buy a prepaid tablet sim card (with the $20 per month/1 GB per month plan), activate the sim on a tablet, then insert that sim card into a phone and use data on the phone. And this works as long as the phone has 4G. Is that true?

I'm interested in this one if anyone can confirm that it works?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, corporate store, and I've still got a copy of the receipt (which I'm 99% sure has the IMEI printed on it) as proof I was the original buyer and when it was purchased, if it really came down to that. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, since I haven't seen this posted here yet - if you buy a Motorola phone between February 18 and March 4, there's a mail-in rebate for a $50 Play store gift card.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Google-Play-Credit/Google-Play-Credit,en_US,pg.html

This is baller as gently caress, just put my girlfriend on my plan and she went with the RAZR M. It's an absolutely awesome phone for anyone considering it, battery life is incredible, it's VERY VERY near stock Android, and runs really smoothly.

Metallian
May 29, 2003

Thanks, that answered all my questions. Can't wait to saunter into a VZW store and not pay for stuff.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Sorry, but another quick question regarding the dumb-phone upgrade loophole to maintain unlimited data:

Line 1: 3G Smartphone. Unlimited Data. Upgrade available.

Line 2: Dumbphone. Upgrade available.

Using the 'loophole', I upgrade Line 2 to a smartphone, transfer the smartphone to Line 1 and maintain unlimited data. If Line 2 wants to eventually upgrade to a smartphone using the remaining upgrade available on Line 1, will that remove unlimited data from Line 1?

That being said, unlimited data is not a deal-breaker for me. I rarely use even over 2GB / month, but I would like to keep it while I still can. Also, I'm considering a RAZR M due to its compact size for my tiny hands or possibly a RAZR MAXX HD. I was going to wait for other options, but Line 2 is thinking about upgrading soon.

The interesting thing is, I had never heard of this 'option' until a Verizon corporate representative told me how to do it on the phone the other day.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Using the 'loophole', I upgrade Line 2 to a smartphone, transfer the smartphone to Line 1 and maintain unlimited data. If Line 2 wants to eventually upgrade to a smartphone using the remaining upgrade available on Line 1, will that remove unlimited data from Line 1?
Here's the process in a nutshell. Upgrade Line 2 to a smartphone, go through the activation process on the phone and let it register line 2's phone number to the SIM card. Then you'll have to reactivate the old phone from Line 2 on it again, freeing up the smartphone to move to line 1. You'll need an extra SIM card for this, or wait 24 hours, your choice. You will also probably need to call customer care to have them activate the dumbphone again on Line 2, unless you're adept at navigating your MyVerizon page. I cannot recall if they allow you to do hardware swaps directly from the webpage or not.

Edit: And yeah, when you eventually use Line 1's upgrade it will remove the unlimited feature from there.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

SeaborneClink posted:

And yeah, when you eventually use Line 1's upgrade it will remove the unlimited feature from there.

This is what I thought. Moral of the story, Line 1 will never be able to be upgraded (outside of stealing other lines upgrades) again without losing unlimited data.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SeaborneClink posted:

Here's the process in a nutshell. Upgrade Line 2 to a smartphone, go through the activation process on the phone and let it register line 2's phone number to the SIM card. Then you'll have to reactivate the old phone from Line 2 on it again, freeing up the smartphone to move to line 1. You'll need an extra SIM card for this, or wait 24 hours, your choice. You will also probably need to call customer care to have them activate the dumbphone again on Line 2, unless you're adept at navigating your MyVerizon page. I cannot recall if they allow you to do hardware swaps directly from the webpage or not.
Let the new phone activate on line 2, then sign in online and go to "Activate/Switch Device." Pick line 2, and select "Activate Device," because you're taking a phone that is not connected to any service and putting it on that line. Then enter the dumbphone's MEID. That'll put the dumbphone back on line 2 and kill the data plan.

Then, wait 24 hours (or do it now if you have an extra SIM), go again to "Activate/Switch Device." Pick line 1, select "Activate Device." Enter the IMEI off the new phone, then enter the serial number off the SIM when it asks you for it. Put SIM in phone, turn it on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 25, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon has a new list of expansions.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/25/verizon-4g-lte-expands-in-kentucky-ohio-west-virginia-connecticut-missouri-and-pennsylvania/

Some of them are oddly specific.

quote:

Mount Washington
Site enhances coverage along Grandview Ave. on top of Mount Washington from Shaler Street on the west side to Wyoming Street. Coverage also extends down Wyoming Street to Virginia Avenue.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My phone just ran out of batteries and won't charge. VZW is sending me a new one because it's still within warranty.
Thing is they said that if they find out it's because the phone has been misued, submerged in water, or had "unauthorized changes to the phone software" they will charge me 300 dollars.

My question is, I have Cyanogen on that phone. What's the probability they gently caress me over?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TheReverend posted:

My phone just ran out of batteries and won't charge. VZW is sending me a new one because it's still within warranty.
Thing is they said that if they find out it's because the phone has been misued, submerged in water, or had "unauthorized changes to the phone software" they will charge me 300 dollars.

My question is, I have Cyanogen on that phone. What's the probability they gently caress me over?

Yeah, that's probably not good. Custom roms do void the warranty....

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
If it's a cross shipment, you may be able to take the charged battery from the new phone and use it in the old in order to load a stock rom.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

But if it's a hardware issue and the phone won't boot then how will they know, right?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

But if it's a hardware issue and the phone won't boot then how will they know, right?

I don't know about other OEM's but if it's a Motorola there are special factory cables that will signal the device to power on, boot, and function, without a battery in place. If they want to find a way to verify the device, they will.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Not a Motorola.
poo poo though, I guess I'm hosed. Maybe just buy a new phone at retail.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

ProjektorBoy posted:

I don't know about other OEM's but if it's a Motorola there are special factory cables that will signal the device to power on, boot, and function, without a battery in place. If they want to find a way to verify the device, they will.

Which makes little sense...if they can power the device on, boot it up and check your software they can easily prove that it's probably not the software that's the problem...

That being said they'll probably take that opportunity to gently caress you over and charge you as that fits most in line with the rear end rape that is the cellphone market.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TheReverend posted:

Wont boot because battery? Or wont boot because other poo poo is broken?

If the later, I think you'll be ok. Itll go into the parts bin and nobody will care. Could be wrong, But I know I sent back a nexus with an unlocked bootloader and a shoddy rooted copy of 4.1 or something. And never heard anything about it. Mileage May Very.

PS What phone?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I'm up for an upgrade on 3/13 and I will be happily tossing my Incredible 2 and moving on to a Razr HD Maxx (probably). However I see that Amazon is selling it for $99 as opposed to Verizon's $249. I've always purchased from Verizon direct; are there any added headaches purchasing from Amazon, or is the activation procedure essentially the same?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

PS What phone?

GNex

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

So I'm up for an upgrade on 3/13 and I will be happily tossing my Incredible 2 and moving on to a Razr HD Maxx (probably). However I see that Amazon is selling it for $99 as opposed to Verizon's $249. I've always purchased from Verizon direct; are there any added headaches purchasing from Amazon, or is the activation procedure essentially the same?

No extra headaches except (1) you have to wait while it gets shipped to you rather than walking out the door with it and (2) there's an additional ETF you have to pay to Amazon if you cancel your line in the next 6 months.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

RVProfootballer posted:

No extra headaches except (1) you have to wait while it gets shipped to you rather than walking out the door with it and (2) there's an additional ETF you have to pay to Amazon if you cancel your line in the next 6 months.

Neither of those things is an issue for me, so that sounds like the way to go. Thanks!

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

Marketing probably copy/pasted the description engineering gave them.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Require More Fire posted:

RVProfootballer has the major differences, though there's another one. Amazon (like most resellers) puts the $30 upgrade fee on your bill instead of charging at point of sale (corporate store). Some people don't like to see the $30 on their bill. You put up with the minor concerns in order to get the better price and avoid sales tax (depending on area) using Amazon.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Is it possible to set up a shared plan with only one line to start? Me and a friend are planning on switching to a shared plan, but amazon is out of stock on the razr maxx and prices on the note 2 are way higher everywhere else. Can we buy the note through amazon, then add a line somewhere else?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Razr maxx and razr maxx hd are showing up as in stock on amazonwireless for me right now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My RAZR MAXX just came in the mail, it's basically in new condition, pretty psyched. Now I gotta figure out how to get it activated and decide if I want to root it or not...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I've had a Blackberry Curve for like 4 years now (gave up one of my upgrades). What are some solid choices to move on to?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So I've had a Blackberry Curve for like 4 years now (gave up one of my upgrades). What are some solid choices to move on to?

There's the iPhone line, Razr Maxx HD, Razr M, Galaxy S 3, and Galaxy Note 2. Those are all solid choices. Razr line has some of the best battery life, comparable to iPhone's. Everything will probably be a step down from your Curve in terms of battery life, but they'll also be a million times better at everything else. Razr Maxx HD can easily get several days with moderate use though.

Go into an official Verizon store and play around with them.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I don't suppose there's any way, if I'm on a family plan with five lines, two of which (other than my own) are currently month-to-month, that I could transfer the remaining time on my contract to one of the month-to-month lines and cancel my line without an ETF, is there? Logically this should be the same, from Verizon's perspective, as transferring an upgrade, but I somehow doubt they'll see it that way.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

Razr line has some of the best battery life, comparable to iPhone's. Everything will probably be a step down from your Curve in terms of battery life, but they'll also be a million times better at everything else. Razr Maxx HD can easily get several days with moderate use though.

I'm currently charging my Blackberry at least once a day, usually twice. I hope batteries aren't that terrible :smith:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm currently charging my Blackberry at least once a day, usually twice. I hope batteries aren't that terrible :smith:

That's because it's a 4-year old battery ;) He meant that everything will be a step down from your Curve's battery life when it was new.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

My girlfriend has a RAZR M she just bought, and if she uses it lightly it lasts her two days. Razr maxx hd has even better battery life, and a bigger/higher res screen. Can't speak from person experience on any of the other phones I listed.

Misfate
Apr 24, 2012
I'm on a family plan(not Share Everything) with 3 lines: 1 smartphone with unlimited data and 2 dumbphone lines. I have an upgrade available for the smartphone line.

Is it possible to upgrade the smartphone line while keeping the unlimited data through any loopholes? Also if I transferred and used the upgrade on a dumbphone line, would the smartphone line lose the unlimited data?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Misfate posted:

I'm on a family plan(not Share Everything) with 3 lines: 1 smartphone with unlimited data and 2 dumbphone lines. I have an upgrade available for the smartphone line.

Is it possible to upgrade the smartphone line while keeping the unlimited data through any loopholes? Also if I transferred and used the upgrade on a dumbphone line, would the smartphone line lose the unlimited data?

Signing any contract on the line with unlimited will have unlimited drop off.

You can jack the upgrade from the non smart phones, and move the phone to your unlimited line and not lose the unlimited. You just simply cant ever upgrade that line ever. I'm doing the craigslist shuffle these days. And only 1 of our lines is a dumbphone so upgrades go to whoever really needs a phone.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TheReverend posted:

Replaced 4 phones with Verizon. All custom roms. It's never an issue. They can't turn it on anyway right? So they get it- make sure the hardware is still good then send it off to be taken apart and refurbished.

Sure "rooting voids your warranty" but unless you go around saying "hey my rooted phone is broke" no one is going to say anything.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If I was to buy one of these:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/verizon-lg-vl600-4g-lte-usb-aircard-clean-esn-vl-600/225752837.html?sellerid=36258836

Could I throw the sim card from my GNex with unlimited wireless in it and surf that way?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
It would work, but they supposedly might change your plan on you if you use it too much.

You will also need a Sim adapter as that USB stick uses a 2FF (mini is the correct term, but everyone calls it full-size) and your Gnex uses a 3FF (micro)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Went to do my upgrade on Amazon Wireless. I'm on an individual plan (not share everything) with unlimited data. I told Amazon to keep everything the same but, obviously, I have to change my data. The option I have is for a "2GB Smartphone data with mobile email" plan. That's just a regular 2GB data plan, right?

Oh, and they're out of Razr HD Maxx's again, so I get to wait some more. :smith:

• Locked thread