Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

woozle wuzzle posted:

At first I was going to tell you not to submit that essay. The question seems like an "are you a human being" type question. Like you see a turtle laying on its back, you aren't helping, why aren't you helping. Responding with "I OBSERVED A COURT PROCEDURE INCORRECTLY BZZZZT" might miss the mark.

Then I remembered that law school isn't looking for human beings. You're just fine with it.

I was considering that, but it's the only one of my three essays that explicitly discuss legal things, so I'm hoping I might have a balance there. I mean in all honesty, it was between this or the first one to come to mind, which was having some people over for dinner in Japan and messing up some chicken which was kind of embarrassing. I just felt like the stakes were higher with this story than with mixing up the words for salt and sugar, so maybe being a little more robotic was worth it. Thanks for bringing it up, though, because I had a feeling it might be expecting one of those "I didn't make a clutch shot in a JV basket ball game" kind of personal moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Honestly, that essay's going to be worth like 1/4 of a point of the LSAT retake you're currently not studying for, so instead of doing it, retake the LSAT.

Also, you're waaaaaaaay too late in the cycle to apply right now; Georgetown was an exception back in the day when I cared, but it's virtually the only good school that will take people with the 'correct' numbers for their yield this late in the game, and 'good' is very relative in this era of d2ls.

---

Crim law goons: you might die alone but at least your clients will never, ever stop doing stupid things

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Adar posted:

Honestly, that essay's going to be worth like 1/4 of a point of the LSAT retake you're currently not studying for, so instead of doing it, retake the LSAT.

Also, you're waaaaaaaay too late in the cycle to apply right now; Georgetown was an exception back in the day when I cared, but it's virtually the only good school that will take people with the 'correct' numbers for their yield this late in the game, and 'good' is very relative in this era of d2ls.

---

Crim law goons: you might die alone but at least your clients will never, ever stop doing stupid things

Does the US have a more severe theft charge where a breach of trust is involved?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Does the US have a more severe theft charge where a breach of trust is involved?

Pretty sure some states do. Also pretty sure he's gonna get charged for everything the inventory is short, soooooooooooo

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Adar posted:

Pretty sure some states do. Also pretty sure he's gonna get charged for all 10K worth or whatever the inventory is short, soooooooooooo

Reminds me a bit of a client's video statement to the police. The officer asks him whether he wants to speak to a lawyer and the guy tells the officer that he doesn't need to because the lawyer is just going to tell him not to say anything. Afterwards he gives a statement...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Had a trial yesterday, accused was charged with refusal to provide a breath sample.

The accused was stopped at a checkstop with a passenger and the RCMP officer testified that he smelled a strong odour of marijuana and liquor coming from the vehicle. RCMP officer testified that he arrested the accused and passenger for possession of marijuana based on the smell, but formed the reasonable probable suspicion that the accused had alcohol in his body based on the odour of liquor coming from the vehicle. On cross he testified that he couldn't identify who the odour was coming from inside the vehicle, but that the accused was already under arrest so :shrug:.

Your judge is a jerk for not stopping it right there

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Ersatz posted:

If you're really interested in becoming a lawyer, you should consider retaking the LSAT and applying only if you can break a 170. Your GPA isn't bad, but with a 163 you'll be paying sticker price if you're accepted into any of the T14, and that's a life-altering gamble.

I couldn't agree more. Back when I was preparing to apply a few years ago, I retook the LSAT and scored several points higher. That was enough to get me into my target school and to get a pretty good scholarship, neither of which would have likely happened with my original score.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Adar posted:

Pretty sure some states do. Also pretty sure he's gonna get charged for everything the inventory is short, soooooooooooo
wow that guy is a dumb son of a bitch and he is totally getting charged for all inventory discrepancies since the moment he was hired. Jesus why would anyone admit stealing from work on the Internet. "but your honor, I was having a bad day and my boss is a JERK :("

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Recruiting owns. I wish I could just do it 24/7. Dinging people for random poo poo is so fulfilling. Plus, I'm awesome at my job, 80% incoming C/O 2013 associates are hot chicks.
Recruiting does own. It's amazing the kind of petty, meaningless poo poo we go through at the committee meetings to eviscerate otherwise totally indistinguishable candidates. One candidate almost got dinged because we didn't like the way he used "thrice" in her cover letter, but ultimately I helped pulled that one out of the fire because I am convinced he is crazy and will provide much entertainment

J Miracle posted:

What kind of slang?
My favorite cover letter so far abuses the word "totally" in ways that are seldom seen outside of suburban high schools

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 28, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Nickoten posted:

Honestly, not that hot. I have a 163/3.71, and it's for Georgetown. I just figured it couldn't hurt my chances. I'm wondering if the content might make me seem like a worse candidate, though.

As someone who, during his application cycle, wished that he could go back and take the first half of UG seriously, please please retake the loving lsat. It's such a loving waste to apply on that lsat score with your gpa.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I wish I could go back and retake the first half of my life seriously

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Nickoten posted:

So I got a few fee waivers and decided to try applying to a few places for the hell of it.

Law school: the only 200k investment people pursue on a whim

A 163 is poo poo unless you are URM. you're not getting into Georgetown.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Soothing Vapors posted:

Law school: the only 200k investment people pursue on a whim

A 163 is poo poo unless you are URM. you're not getting into Georgetown.

Sign up for June LSAT if that's still possible, or maybe October LSAT, and apply in fall. How many times have you already taken the LSAT, Nickoten? And how did you prep on it, and what were your strengths and weaknesses? If your weakness was Logic Games, Petey will chime in about how he massively improved on the Logic Games section, and he'll be right to do so because that is a very improvable section.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

One candidate almost got dinged because we didn't like the way he used "thrice" in her cover letter, but ultimately I helped pulled that one out of the fire because I am convinced he is crazy and will provide much entertainment

We should probably be the hiring partners for the lawgoon firm.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

Recruiting does own. It's amazing the kind of petty, meaningless poo poo we go through at the committee meetings to eviscerate otherwise totally indistinguishable candidates. One candidate almost got dinged because we didn't like the way he used "thrice" in her cover letter, but ultimately I helped pulled that one out of the fire because I am convinced he is crazy and will provide much entertainment

How did you get on this committee, this sounds like a ball.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

I was assigned to the committee first year. I honestly have no idea why. They kept me on it this year, so I guess I didn't gently caress up?

I get to pre-screen the applicants from certain schools, and I'm the screening interviewer for my school. Also, free lunch during callback days.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 28, 2013

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

We should probably be the hiring partners for the lawgoon firm.
I prefer finding fellow misanthropes to hot girls, I'm not sure our styles would mesh

My current favourite 1L candidate has been referred to by no less than 3 other members of the committee as "a loving weirdo"

evilweasel posted:

Our hiring partner appeared in my doorway and said "congratulations on your appointment to the recruiting committee" and then wandered off. I honestly thought he was loving with me until I saw I had access to the recruiting Outlook folder, I'm not sure why you'd put a human being as thoroughly lovely as myself in any sort of position of responsibility

HiddenReplaced posted:

Also, free lunch
This is the benefit. I've gotten approximately $500 worth of free food from this gig and I've been on the committee for two months. poo poo owns.

The cost: nonbillable time. So much nonbillable time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
we have a newly- minted JD coming in part time next week, and at the attorney meeting this morning, the hiring partner and HR head was making fun of his earring, so I guess we are gonna get some plugged-up hipster bro

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TenementFunster posted:

we have a newly- minted JD coming in part time next week, and at the attorney meeting this morning, the hiring partner and HR head was making fun of his earring, so I guess we are gonna get some plugged-up hipster bro

Maybe you can do some gay stuff with him.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CaptainScraps posted:

Maybe you can do some gay stuff with him.
just so long as he doesn't get on my weed law turf

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
On that note, I'm trying to subtly replace "marijuana" with "cannabis" in firm lexicon. Seems to be working, and I think our few dispensary clients appreciate it, since they tend to be the "connoisseur" set.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TenementFunster posted:

On that note, I'm trying to subtly replace "marijuana" with "cannabis" in firm lexicon. Seems to be working, and I think our few dispensary clients appreciate it, since they tend to be the "connoisseur" set.

The old attorneys still ask clients if they're smokin' dope.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^
I just say "pot." If I used cannabis my clients would wonder why I'm bringing up the great white north.

I hate you for not quoting the OP.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So Softest crashing on the performance exam on the last day of the Bar Exam about an hour in is totally awesome.

Despite the fact the lovely program locked up, I'm unreasonably happy it actually managed to boot back into the exam after about 5 minutes.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Angry Grimace posted:

So Softest crashing on the performance exam on the last day of the Bar Exam about an hour in is totally awesome.

Despite the fact the lovely program locked up, I'm unreasonably happy it actually managed to boot back into the exam after about 5 minutes.

Didn't somewhere have a power outage that completely hosed everything up, thus requiring everyone to change to hand-writing halfway into their exams?

God that would suck.

Also, I recognized my summer intern's last name because I prosecuted his brother for robbing a liquor store. Surprisingly only slightly awkward.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Any CA goons take the bar this week? Congrats on finishing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BigHead posted:

Didn't somewhere have a power outage that completely hosed everything up, thus requiring everyone to change to hand-writing halfway into their exams?

God that would suck.

Also, I recognized my summer intern's last name because I prosecuted his brother for robbing a liquor store. Surprisingly only slightly awkward.

I think that's one of those persistent stories that keeps getting told.

And yeah just did the CA Bar. Today felt the best so far. Got really lucky on the topics for the essays.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Got really lucky on the topics for the essays.

That's one of the better feelings in the universe. Happened to me too...

It's like doing a slam dunk from a jetski.

Does anyone else have honest to goodness brain damage from studying for the bar exam? I swear it altered my memory.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
"doing a slam dunk"

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Adar I went to a talk by Nate Silver tonight and he spent the first 20 minutes talking about fleecing idiots in online poker a decade ago and I thought of you.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

nm posted:

I hate you for not quoting the OP.

I was nice and duly edited the explanation out but welp: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3535950&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post413035597

Petey posted:

Adar I went to a talk by Nate Silver tonight and he spent the first 20 minutes talking about fleecing idiots in online poker a decade ago and I thought of you.

The only big regret I've had in the last decade is never taking college level statistics so I could've made a website and written a book instead :(

Adar fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 2, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

woozle wuzzle posted:

That's one of the better feelings in the universe. Happened to me too...

It's like doing a slam dunk from a jetski.

Does anyone else have honest to goodness brain damage from studying for the bar exam? I swear it altered my memory.

I was pretty excited about how none of the "hard" subjects showed up; no contracts, evidence or constitutional law.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
I hope applicants really are dinged on C&F for extensive, immediate post-Bar online discussion- e.g. threads with 100s of posts about the most recent MBE

quote:

You have been told not to discuss the calbar essay/PT and NCBE questions over and over. You listened to the proctor and you have signed on it. What part of is it you don't understand? In the past people have recieved notices for violation. Don't risk it, as it might show up in your moral character app.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."
NLJ placement for schools for last year came out:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202589189668&interactive=true

The school-by-school, firm-by-firm breakdown:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202588887416&Explore_the_Data_Behind_the_GoTo_Law_Schools&slreturn=20130202012627

I didn't realize GULC had such a big class.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Law review: still the nexus of all the most racist poo poo I've seen in law school, and that's saying something.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The GULC class number includes the night/PT program, I believe. Day program is around 500-550, or at least it was when I was there.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

The really embarassing thing is that this graph shows how loosely correlated tuition price is to value of the degree. I can smugly report that that lone blue dot at 25% placement and only $30k tuition is where I went to school - Texas. An awful choice, surely, but clearly there were worse choices.

I'm also glad that my cushy government job is actually hurting our NLJ250 placement figures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HolySwissCheese posted:

I'm also glad that my cushy government job is actually hurting our NLJ250 placement figures.

50k for a 50% chance is better than 30k for a 25% chance. GOD LAWYERS ARE SO BAD AT MATH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOMGOMGOMGLOLOLOWTF.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

50k for a 50% chance is better than 30k for a 25% chance. GOD LAWYERS ARE SO BAD AT MATH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOMGOMGOMGLOLOLOWTF.

The real issue is sticker cost obscures opportunity cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

50k for a 50% chance is better than 30k for a 25% chance.

50k for a 50% chance of watching college hoops at the bar next to work on a Saturday before you go back to work.

If they only knew the true horrors of Biglaw.