Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Quicker turnarounds just means quicker to layoff.

Really? I don't know anyone who works in advertising who's been let go because a job ended - most people I know in that industry have been at the same place for between 3 and 5 years. Any they love the fact that one week they're on set/tracking then the next doing cloth sims then the next doing modeling & lighting etc.

Most commercial houses only want full time staff too, the vast majority refuse to work with freelancers. Every senior person i've spoke to has nothing but horror stories about working with them to the point where I've make a habit of asking if they have any when I meet one.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

cubicle gangster posted:

What about advertising places?
Someone like taylor james, who do incredible work and have offices in London & NYC - http://www.taylorjames.com/ (you can filter the work by cgi/retouching etc)

It's just vfx with smaller teams, quicker turnaround (& more varied work), and you work much closer to the directors. There's a shitload of money being spent on it and from all impressions I get the work is very secure.

Those work fine, you generally make enough to be able to dodge the lulls in work. For those in the US, healthcare can get expensive unless you have portable benefits [ie unionized]. Most of the commercial shops are nice small boutique studios, I've had friends who had to turn around elaborate commercial work within 2-3 weeks, vs say 2-3 years for an animated feature. it's a big change of pace.

I got caught up in a big layoff but I'm lucky that I'm getting a few months severance out of it, others aren't so lucky. Thinking of jumping over to the games industry now... they're hiring a bunch of people.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Really? I don't know anyone who works in advertising who's been let go because a job ended - most people I know in that industry have been at the same place for between 3 and 5 years. Any they love the fact that one week they're on set/tracking then the next doing cloth sims then the next doing modeling & lighting etc.

Most commercial houses only want full time staff too, the vast majority refuse to work with freelancers. Every senior person i've spoke to has nothing but horror stories about working with them to the point where I've make a habit of asking if they have any when I meet one.

Before I moved into features, I spent some 6 years in commercials (In London), both as staff and as freelance. I'd develop relationships with 3-4 different shops and that would usually keep me busy. Jobs varied from 3 days to 3 months and once place I worked on back-to-back projects for 9 months or so. The thing is, as a freelance, you are usually given the crappy jobs.
I found commercials way more stressful. You have very little room for experimenting with techniques/technology and all-nighters were far more frequent, because with the shorter turn-around, you had less time to recover from mistakes/bad decisions.

As for horror stories, everybody got them. Be it about freelancers, clients, bosses, co-workers.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

As for horror stories, everybody got them. Be it about freelancers, clients, bosses, co-workers.

Can I hear a few? Not to derail too much but I'm interested in the industry and pet peeves thereof.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The thing is, as a freelance, you are usually given the crappy jobs.

I wasn't suggesting it as a freelancer, what's wrong with going full time?

HolyJewsus
Jun 26, 2006
Disgruntled By Flashing and Blinking Lights.
http://www.archiwaredesign.com/Architecture12.html

posting a project I did over the summer, it was a proposal for a design incubator space, theres two versions there one in unity where I pretended I had a bigger budget and the cheaper version we did for the actual proposal.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

I wasn't suggesting it as a freelancer, what's wrong with going full time?

Oh nothing!. Sweet gig if you can get it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If? TJ's website which I posted above has a shitload of job postings between London/NY, even a couple where they'll do you a visa to cover both. fx, nuke, generalist & supe positions. Small shops are always hiring - every job i've ever got was through an unsolicited email asking if they'd be able to make room for me. We personally are desperate for good full time staff.
I just find it quite annoying to see so many film vfx guys moaning about being out of work and their hours and treatment, yet not working on movies is totally beneath them, like they may aswell be scrubbing toilets if they don't get to work on a movie. It's weird.

Me and 2 other guys have been working on a 4 minute film for the past 6 months that's been such an uphill struggle because literally nobody who's not total poo poo at their job is applying at our company. we're asking for seniors and getting school quality level poo poo. We've had to do everything ourselves - setting up the cameras to give to the motion control guys on set, going on set and supervising it, making sure the lighting matches, tracking it, comping it, all the cg and fx. it's ridiculous. I've not seen one cv sent to us in the past 6 months by someone who I felt could become a proper team member and get on with things.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 2, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
One of my best friends is lead artist at Taylor James, they do amazing stuff!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

If? TJ's website which I posted above has a shitload of job postings between London/NY, even a couple where they'll do you a visa to cover both. fx, nuke, generalist & supe positions. Small shops are always hiring - every job i've ever got was through an unsolicited email asking if they'd be able to make room for me. We personally are desperate for good full time staff.
I just find it quite annoying to see so many film vfx guys moaning about being out of work and their hours and treatment, yet not working on movies is totally beneath them, like they may aswell be scrubbing toilets if they don't get to work on a movie. It's weird.

Me and 2 other guys have been working on a 4 minute film for the past 6 months that's been such an uphill struggle because literally nobody who's not total poo poo at their job is applying at our company. we're asking for seniors and getting school quality level poo poo. We've had to do everything ourselves - setting up the cameras to give to the motion control guys on set, going on set and supervising it, making sure the lighting matches, tracking it, comping it, all the cg and fx. it's ridiculous. I've not seen one cv sent to us in the past 6 months by someone who I felt could become a proper team member and get on with things.

Where do you work again?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm at dbox.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Back in the day I used to piddle around (read: devote most of my free waking hours) with Lightwave modeling at a strictly hobbyist level and occasionally taking a crack at setting up/lighting/rendering a decent scene. It's been a few years and I just loaded it up again and, after stumbling for a bit, muscle memory clicked in and I was back in the game. I'm content to stick with Lightwave just from a hobbyist standpoint, but if I ever wanted to make a transition into something less amateur and more professional (ie. maybe someday make some money), would it be smart to ditch Lightwave for something else, or can I keep on rocking Lightwave and just be open to the possibility of expansion into something else should work arise? Modeling was always the most fun for me, so that's where I'd likely devote my focus. Could never get the hang of reliably modeling organics, but architectural stuff and ridiculous scifi/fantasy like everyone else does were my main foci.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Modo is probably perfect for you. I could write more in the morning, but have a look into it. Reasonably priced and has some of the best modeling tools going.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Hey guys, do me a solid and come check out my new portfolio site:

arch vis-à-vis

the mobile experience is kinda poo poo right now, but it works well enough. I'm still struggling with supplemental content for each of the projects, whether it's verbiage or detail shots or wireframes or what, or if it should just be straight finished shots alone. Any crits or suggestions are greatly appreciated, of course.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 4, 2013

HolyJewsus
Jun 26, 2006

Handiklap posted:

Hey guys, do me a solid and come check out my new portfolio site:

arch vis-à-vis

the mobile experience is kinda poo poo right now, but it works well enough. I'm still struggling with supplemental content for each of the projects, whether it's verbiage or detail shots or wireframes or what, or if it should just be straight finished shots alone. Any crits or suggestions are greatly appreciated, of course.

If I click an image, it brings me to a page with only that image, then I see an up arrow below the image, when clicked it brings me to 404.

most of the images look good to me, I really like the bus stop one, but especially for the 2d work, it's not obvious whats going on, maybe a small caption?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Check out my face. It's literally my own face.

Without Photoshop:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

HolyJewsus posted:

If I click an image, it brings me to a page with only that image, then I see an up arrow below the image, when clicked it brings me to 404.

most of the images look good to me, I really like the bus stop one, but especially for the 2d work, it's not obvious whats going on, maybe a small caption?

Cool, the up arrow is a default scroll to top module that I've disabled for now, thanks for the heads up. I'm slowly working on background info for each image, but it's hard to not sound...toolish? I don't know, I mean it just feels strange trying to sell myself after being at the same place for almost 9 years.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Do you guys need an intern for the summer? I'm itching to get some experience in a studio environment and if you need qualified people who will work hard I'm down. What programs do you use? I'm most familiar with Maya.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Megaspel posted:

Check out my face. It's literally my own face.

This must be very gratifying; congratulations. The second image kind of looks like Anne Hathaway post-shave in Les Miserables. Not sure if it's your animated expression or the particular materials and lighting you've chosen that makes it seem cartoony.

Only one thing left to do now: get it 3D printed.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

kuskus posted:

Only one thing left to do now: get it 3D printed slightly larger than 1:1 scale and wear it as a mask.

fixed that for you

HolyJewsus
Jun 26, 2006

a tool I'm working on for unity, it's a procedural level generator that uses cube tiles, I'm working on generating a low poly plane based version made from a single texture and material.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Just started learning 3ds max and so far I'm liking it way more than maya. It seems way more intuitive and also way more powerful, I dunno. Maybe it's just me though...But the amount of Crashes seem to be about the same. Oh autodesk. In any case looking forward to knowing both programs :dance:

HolyJewsus posted:

a tool I'm working on for unity, it's a procedural level generator that uses cube tiles, I'm working on generating a low poly plane based version made from a single texture and material.

I love unity but drat if coding doesn't make me feel like a total dummy. Never had any real class past JavaScript for web and I'm using c# now.

HolyJewsus
Jun 26, 2006
I really enjoy c#, python is more fun and nicer to look at, but c# has so many good .net libs you can use with mono.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Reworked that lovely broken terrible dolphin mesh from earlier for class. Has a placeholder texture on it, need to go in and paint in some details/get rid of some stuff, there's a few issues like around the mouth and the one black poly near the eye. This is the high poly version, the low poly only has ~2000.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Just started learning 3ds max and so far I'm liking it way more than maya. It seems way more intuitive and also way more powerful, I dunno. Maybe it's just me though...But the amount of Crashes seem to be about the same. Oh autodesk. In any case looking forward to knowing both programs :dance:

I've used Maya since v1.0 and was about to move to C4D because my work being a little more motion graphics based, but honestly I think I'm going to move to Max instead. I've been watching some Video CoPilot stuff and Max seems like something I'd rather learn.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

uglynoodles posted:

Reworked that lovely broken terrible dolphin mesh from earlier for class. Has a placeholder texture on it, need to go in and paint in some details/get rid of some stuff, there's a few issues like around the mouth and the one black poly near the eye. This is the high poly version, the low poly only has ~2000.

Looking good man but if you want some crit post some wires!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

I agree, some of the best paid jobs are at the smaller boutique shops doing commercial and print work. The pay helps offset the downtime between jobs. One of my buddies makes more money doing slot machine graphics than he did in film.

On the other hand some people want to be the next James Cameron or only care about what credit they have on the show.

After the Dreamworks blow up, it was pretty silent on the job front for a week or two, I think all the usual HR/Recruiting channels were immediately flooded with the 1,2 punch of R+H's bankruptcy and Dreamworks 100M write down and production crew layoff.

Things are picking up, interviewed a few game studios this week and a few more feature film gigs next week, hopefully I have everything sorted by April so I can enjoy some time off before starting work again.

Heard a rumor last night that a big Bid was put in for R+H which will be revealed tomorrow so I think R+H will recover in some form by the end of the month. Thats good news for the film vfx biz.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's true. I've been making more doing graphics for slot machines in less than a year than the past 3+ years in animation and film combined. :stare:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So I tried modeling/texturing/rendering an environment for the first time. :ohdear:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

keyframe posted:

So I tried modeling/texturing/rendering an environment for the first time. :ohdear:

drat I like that a lot. A lot. You did a good job! Can't really see any flaws. Nice materials. Nice design. Nice skybox images. Solid work! Maybe a little too dark wood on the floor, but that can easily just be a design decision. It kinda helps pop out the white anyway.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm doing a thing :woop:

The hardest part is figuring out where patches should be.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Jewel posted:

drat I like that a lot. A lot. You did a good job! Can't really see any flaws. Nice materials. Nice design. Nice skybox images. Solid work! Maybe a little too dark wood on the floor, but that can easily just be a design decision. It kinda helps pop out the white anyway.

Thanks man!

Hope to build a environment modeling/lighting portfolio so I can hopefully get a job doing that since I can't find a animation job anywhere :(

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Whelp, one of my interviews went well, I get a in game engine vfx art test to do next week. I'll post the result here if the NDA allows it.

I'm guessing I get a fixed polygon/fps budget, but limited to x light sources, y textures, 512x512 textures but I'm allowed to pre generate volumetric/pyroclastic elements rendered on cards.

Should be fun.

HolyJewsus
Jun 26, 2006
Is it with a custom engine or something more mainstream you can prep with?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Ccs posted:

Do you guys need an intern for the summer?

I'm not totally sure we do this - we never deal with temporary staff. If you come on without experience, you come as a junior with plans to make a career here.

keyframe - There's a lovely feel to the lighting. Could do with a bit more distinct materials if you're going all white though - lacquers, leathers & painted plaster.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 8, 2013

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

keyframe posted:

:aaaaa:
I do not believe that that's your first time.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
To me it says that he has patience and taste. And is probably resourceful. It shows a lot of potential.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

This is pretty good. A couple of things...bring in more texture. I feel like you may have used such a starkness to get around any weaknesses of texturing, but don't avoid it. Bring some in or else it feels a little THX'y. Also drop the shallow depth of field for a wide shot. It makes it feel like a miniature. That shallow DoF will be present in more macro shots, or full frame shots with a wide open f stop. But that sofa near the camera isn't really close enough to approximate that (otherwise most stuff past the coffee table would be out of focus as well since your plane would be so thin).

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks for the crit Bonoman, I will keep those in mind for the next one. I am still desperately trying to learn how to texture, this is the first time I UV'd and textured anything and it is more complex than I thought it would be. I am doing some tests now to get the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

HolyJewsus posted:

Is it with a custom engine or something more mainstream you can prep with?

The rest is probably something more mainstream, but the final toolset seems to be idtech or unreal engine or some offspring off that,.

I'll use Houdini/Maya for it and send over all my assets via ftp and rendered/streamed texture data.

From what I gather, a lot of in engine vfx uses a lot of decals, precached motion on particles driving animated textures on cards, and projected textures on cards.

I think game studios have had issues with hiring folks who work in VFX who can't either work behind the box [leads or supervisors from other companies who haven't pushed a pixel in 5+ years] or people who can't economize to get something looking nice on a game console.

I remember hearing stories about Ion Storm about 10 or so years ago where they hired texture artists making 1k texture maps for projectiles that are about 5-10 pixels big on screen :v:

It's the classic case when changing fields within the same industry. Games, VFX and Feature Animation, many places will bring up that you don't have experience in doing x at their company if you haven't done it before.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 10, 2013