Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Oh my god he's adorable! How can I learn to make one too? And uh, if you have a local children's hospital, they will often take things like that for kids. And Often as wel for all of you guys, they'll often have approved patterns to knit for the kids. Ours has certain baby hat patterns that they like, or a certain little knit teddy bear they like to give to kids after surgery, that kind of thing. :) The circle I'm in likes to get a big collection together on WWKIP day :)

Thanks! I based him on Barbara Prime's Fuzzy Mitten Lamb pattern and grafted on some bunny ears instead of lamb ears. He's made with fingering weight yarn on US 2 size DPNs worked in the round instead of seamed.

Now he's got a little vest. Based on Pickles Plain Vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Whoa, you learned to type really young. Didn't know they made keyboards small enough for babies, though. You should write a thread!

Lol, I'm the older one. If she had her way she would navigate ALL online communication, but right now all she can handle is pounding the keyboard. Just like how she LOVES yarn, but all she does is pull loops out of a ball of yarn and carry it around like a purse.

Bob - Where will the Harlot be? I've always wanted to see her!

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh my God, what a cute baby!

I've never been to a knitting convention thing. I wish I could go!

But I am going to see Yarn Harlot next Friday, that should be fun.

I am totes jealous! Last time the Harlot came through Seattle was during VIADOOM. There's only two major freeways that go through Seattle and one was closed for 10 days so traffic was beyond terrible. AND I live clear on the other side of the city (totally opposite corner of a loooong rectangle), add in the bookstore would only allow you in the signing line if you bought the book there and I'm a Kindle fan so I just said gently caress it.

But someday I will actually have time off for Madrona! I can see LOTS of knitting people there. :3:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm in the Boston area, she doesn't seem to get over here often! And usually when she does she's at WEBS, and lord knows I love WEBS but it is like a two hour drive from here, and it's tough with my work schedule to make that. This time she's speaking in Watertown, like literally less than ten minutes from my workplace. :D

One of these days I really do have to get to Rhinebeck though, it's not even that far. Or at the VERY least, the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival. I have this bizarre desire to buy a whole fleece and spend hours cleaning sheep poo out of it.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I too dream of fleece processing. It's almost that time of year again, last year I saw loads of fleeces for free online, but I was still too new to even think of procuring one and having half a notion o what to do with it. Now I have begun learning to spin, and Jesus it's like crack. I think I need a fleece or three this year just to support my addiction.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

One of these days I really do have to get to Rhinebeck though, it's not even that far. Or at the VERY least, the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival. I have this bizarre desire to buy a whole fleece and spend hours cleaning sheep poo out of it.

A good fleece shouldn't have too much poo in it. Sloppy shearers make me so mad with their short cuts and leaving poo and tags in. I finally finished prepping all of my fleeces from shearing last year just in time to start shearing again in a week or two :suicide:

Skirting and washing whole fleeces really isn't too bad though (unless you have 21 sheep and 5 goats worth of fleece). I can skirt 3-4 lbs of fleece a day before I get bored and wander off. You should totally grab a fleece and try it out! Just be sure to look at it out of the bag before you bring it home so you don't bring home any moths or find out its full of useless short cuts or anything crappy like that.

vvv Oh yeah, it's still going to stink like a sheep and be pretty greasy and dirty. But there shouldn't be giant hunks of poo in it. Those should be discarded by the shearer. When I shear I separate it into nice blanket fleece, shorter seconds, and poo and grossness that gets tossed. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 23, 2013

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Instant Jellyfish posted:

A good fleece shouldn't have too much poo in it. Sloppy shearers make me so mad with their short cuts and leaving poo and tags in. I finally finished prepping all of my fleeces from shearing last year just in time to start shearing again in a week or two :suicide:

Skirting and washing whole fleeces really isn't too bad though (unless you have 21 sheep and 5 goats worth of fleece). I can skirt 3-4 lbs of fleece a day before I get bored and wander off. You should totally grab a fleece and try it out! Just be sure to look at it out of the bag before you bring it home so you don't bring home any moths or find out its full of useless short cuts or anything crappy like that.

Oh, good to know! I just figure there's probably always going to be something none too pleasant in there, since sheep are...well, they're sheep. Unless someone somewhere raises sheep that live indoors and drink tea and take daily showers or something.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

OxnardMontalvo posted:

Thanks! I based him on Barbara Prime's Fuzzy Mitten Lamb pattern and grafted on some bunny ears instead of lamb ears. He's made with fingering weight yarn on US 2 size DPNs worked in the round instead of seamed.

Now he's got a little vest. Based on Pickles Plain Vest.

He is just about the sweetest thing ever! It's been 25 years since I read the Velveteen Rabbit and I still can't shake the notion that stuffed rabbits might be alive.

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.
Aw, thanks! That was one of my favorite books as a kid. I'm waiting on an order of safety eyes so I can make some little animals that are suitable for little kids to actually play with.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I have an odd request.

I'm working on a knitting project that's going to be a bunny that turns into an evil monster. So I'm trying to find patterns of dolls that can turn into other dolls. Like either by turning it inside out or upside down. Does anyone here know of any?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
The Reversible Duck to Rabbit comes to mind.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Processing fleece is really nice right up until you start combing it by hand. Then it's a pain in the butt. (I still want to do it again)

Speaking of, Instant Jellyfish...I liked those samples you sent and if you have fleece for sale I would be interested. Just...letting you know.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

MarsDragon posted:

Processing fleece is really nice right up until you start combing it by hand. Then it's a pain in the butt. (I still want to do it again)

Speaking of, Instant Jellyfish...I liked those samples you sent and if you have fleece for sale I would be interested. Just...letting you know.

I'll be shearing in a week or two starting with my big fat pregnant ladies and I'll be figuring out what I'm selling after they're all naked. I've got a couple new finewool breeds this year that I'm really excited to get the wool off of, Cormos and Romeldales. There will be lots of baby pictures in about 5 weeks in Pet Island and I usually stick wool and yarn pictures there too because I'm never sure where to put them.

New babby yarn machines :swoon:

Also if anyone is in NE OH/NW PA we're having an open house at the farm on April 27th with a shearing demo, how to prep raw wool for spinning, maybe a natural dyeing demo and lots of baby lamb cuddles.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

That is PERFECT for what I'm looking for! Thanks! :3:

Also Instant Jellyfish please take more pictures of your sheep forever.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

I'll be shearing in a week or two starting with my big fat pregnant ladies and I'll be figuring out what I'm selling after they're all naked. I've got a couple new finewool breeds this year that I'm really excited to get the wool off of, Cormos and Romeldales. There will be lots of baby pictures in about 5 weeks in Pet Island and I usually stick wool and yarn pictures there too because I'm never sure where to put them.

Also if anyone is in NE OH/NW PA we're having an open house at the farm on April 27th with a shearing demo, how to prep raw wool for spinning, maybe a natural dyeing demo and lots of baby lamb cuddles.

I'm hoping to come out again, must remember to tell the ladies at my next guild meeting, too. I should have my wheel back by then, everythings crossed. Will you have any prepared fiber without alpaca in it? The couple times I looked at the etsy shop, everything had a bit in it and I'm allergic.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

zamiel posted:

I'm hoping to come out again, must remember to tell the ladies at my next guild meeting, too. I should have my wheel back by then, everythings crossed. Will you have any prepared fiber without alpaca in it? The couple times I looked at the etsy shop, everything had a bit in it and I'm allergic.

I'm hoping to at least have some washed wool and mohair, I'm not sure if it will get carded by shearing fest except for some mohair/merino pencil rovings though. I'm all out of pretty much all of my wool stuff right now which is why it's all alpaca blends. The wool and mohair comes from my critters so I have to wait to get it off of them. The alpaca I buy from other local farms so there's always some available. I just sent a big batch of mohair off to the mill though! I'm getting the last batch of silver from a buck I sold mixed with merino and firestar and I'm getting a bunch of white from fall shearing mixed with merino for dyeing. I'm hoping for at least one red angora goat kid to be born this year. Red kid mohair :swoon:

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Babby sheeps are the cutest sheeps. Please post more and put me on the list for lovely fleece! I would LOVE to make the trip up there but April 27th is the Powhatan Festival of Fiber here in VA (and I'm going as a vendor! eeeee!)

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I have a newbie knitter question!

How do you guys like to hold your working yarn when knitting continental style?

I started knitting for the first time last night (continental; using size 11 KP interchangeable circs as straights and some wool ease thick n quick), but I was struggling with finding a good hand/yarn configuration. I tried the looping around the index finger, as well as the pinky+index finger loop style; I was able to maintain tension most of the time, but the yarn always required a lot of rather hard yanking to "advance" (if that makes sense). Having to yank my working yarn along fatigued my hands and kinda gave me a friction burny type sensation at times.

Is there a better way to hold or will it be less of a problem with less chunky/rough yarns? :v:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

eggrolled posted:

I started knitting for the first time last night (continental; using size 11 KP interchangeable circs as straights and some wool ease thick n quick), but I was struggling with finding a good hand/yarn configuration. I tried the looping around the index finger, as well as the pinky+index finger loop style; I was able to maintain tension most of the time, but the yarn always required a lot of rather hard yanking to "advance" (if that makes sense). Having to yank my working yarn along fatigued my hands and kinda gave me a friction burny type sensation at times.

Is there a better way to hold or will it be less of a problem with less chunky/rough yarns? :v:

It's definitely easier with thinner yarn in my experience!

e: it's very satisfying to finally be able to use the baby clothes I've been knitting so furiously for the last months! Baby dress, pattern here: http://www.pickles.no/sweetie-pie-kit/

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 25, 2013

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

eggrolled posted:

If you go to knittinghelp.com and look at the continental knitting videos- basic knit or purl stitch videos- that is how I hold my working yarn. Their videos really helped me when I first started!

Edit: I usually weave the yarn between my fingers instead of holding it across the bottom of them.

Peppercat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 26, 2013

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Finished a thing!

Double knit hat using the Deathflake Chart from Reliquary Arts.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

Finished a thing!

I love it!

I think I've have that chart saved in my favorites on Ravelry for ages - doubleknitting it is a great idea! I only just learned to double knit like last week.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Wow! Is that particularly tedious to do/manage compared to intarsia?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

Wow! Is that particularly tedious to do/manage compared to intarsia?

Not terribly. You cast on both colors for each stitch in the chart, then when you're working it you just knit with the front color, bring both strands to the front, and purl with the back color. This is about the only kind of colorwork I can stand since you don't have to worry about tension like with intarsia. Two colors is easiest, but you can do a lot more. Its sort of this crazy guy's thing.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

eggrolled posted:

I always hold it the same way I hold crochet yarn - over the pinky, under the ring and middle fingers, and over the index finger, then use the index finger to tension and kind of hold the yarn against the needle with the last three fingers. To purl, I pull it out with my thumb from in between the needle and my index finger. Here's a picture, if it helps:

Do you know how hard it is to take a picture of your own hands?

I don't know if that's the "proper" way, it's just my stubborn way of doing it so I can use my crochet muscle memory. The biggest downside is I have to stop every dozen stitches or so and pull more up the needle to where my working yarn is.

By the way, can I talk about my baby blanket?

This is the first time I've laid the whole thing out, and it looks kind of lopsided, which worries me; also, the corners are curling. I used this pattern but used make 1 aways and k2togs for the increases and decreases because I didn't think the holes would work well on this kind of yarn without worming. I hope I didn't gently caress the whole thing up; I've been working on this for like three weeks now!

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Fooley posted:

Finished a thing!

I've been considering trying to figure out a pattern to do this with the skull from John Dies at the End:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Fooley posted:

Not terribly. You cast on both colors for each stitch in the chart, then when you're working it you just knit with the front color, bring both strands to the front, and purl with the back color. This is about the only kind of colorwork I can stand since you don't have to worry about tension like with intarsia. Two colors is easiest, but you can do a lot more. Its sort of this crazy guy's thing.

How many stitches did you cast on, and what size needle?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

How many stitches did you cast on, and what size needle?

I used a size 9 circular and cast on 232 stitches (four repeats of the pattern = 116, doubled for the second color). Definitely swatch though since double knitting will probably make your gauge a bit bigger with the two layers. I'd also recommend a circular needle even if you prefer DPNs, since there are so many stitches. I used Paton's Classic for mine.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
While it is nice having a small scale to calculate how much yarn I'm actually consuming, it is freaking me out that most of the guesses I made are fairly close or on the dot!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Weird question...I have just discovered I have mold in my wall. I'm not sure yet how bad it is, just had an adjuster out yesterday and he's got to get someone out here to evaluate it, etc. I'm wondering what I can do with my yarn once the wall is fixed OR I move out. I'm not optimistic since it's an older mobile home.

Good news is at least that most of my stash is in plastic storage bins but I have had some open and moved poo poo around since the problem first started (seems about 2 months ago from symptoms of me and pets) and a few things have been out on my craft table, mostly large skeins I needed to hank for dyeing. I figure the stuff in bins I haven't opened for over 2 months should be fine, but is there anything I should/could do to treat the other stuff? It ranges from acrylic to wool, superwash and non. Discussing it with an insurance agent friend of mine, she mentioned I'd probably have to throw away my bed and such and it got me thinking.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Zamiel, when the Yarn Harlot found moths she alternated between freezing and microwaving to kill off the infestation, maybe that would work? Or is mold way more resistant to that sort of thing? Yarn is smaller and will be easier to deal with for major temperature changes/radiation than something as large as a mattress, so there is hope!

Bad luck on the mold... That stuff is crazy bad! One summer my parents were doing a ton of overtime and couldn't do a proper clean up when our basement flooded and it got moldy down there. It being summer in the upper Midwest when it was over 90 with like 95% humidity at night (we had no AC) I said screw it and slept down there anyway... big mistake! I've never been so miserable in my life. Hopefully you and your fuzzy pals get some relief soon!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would think mold would be pretty recoverable for yarn. You could probably skein it and tie it loosely to do a vinegar rinse and/or put it out in the sunlight this summer. Definitely get the mold experts' advice, but I wouldn't assume you'd have to toss it. Especially because it doesn't have any apparent issues, right?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Just finished a couple things.

A quick scarf out of some soft and thick handspun singles. It came out pretty well!

Socks! Started at Thanksgiving! I'm slow. Pattern is Elm from The Knitter's Book of Socks.

Also enjoy my messy, messy bed.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MarsDragon posted:

Socks! Started at Thanksgiving! I'm slow. Pattern is Elm from The Knitter's Book of Socks.

I love the color!

Here are the socks I finished blocking today. I started them in, um, September.

Colinette Jitterbug, in Jay.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Oh, those are both so lovely. I like the colours so, and the patterns look interesting.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

zamiel posted:

Weird question...I have just discovered I have mold in my wall. I'm not sure yet how bad it is, just had an adjuster out yesterday and he's got to get someone out here to evaluate it, etc. I'm wondering what I can do with my yarn once the wall is fixed OR I move out. I'm not optimistic since it's an older mobile home.

Good news is at least that most of my stash is in plastic storage bins but I have had some open and moved poo poo around since the problem first started (seems about 2 months ago from symptoms of me and pets) and a few things have been out on my craft table, mostly large skeins I needed to hank for dyeing. I figure the stuff in bins I haven't opened for over 2 months should be fine, but is there anything I should/could do to treat the other stuff? It ranges from acrylic to wool, superwash and non. Discussing it with an insurance agent friend of mine, she mentioned I'd probably have to throw away my bed and such and it got me thinking.

Mold is not too difficult. A very firm washing gets it out of most clothing, but the problem is re-infection, and of course the delicate nature of yarn. I would suggest a serious steaming to kill off the mold and spores, and then gently washing. You may want to put yarn onto a niddy-noddy to do this, because it will let you get the steam and soap into all the strands without worrying about tangling quite so much.

In the meantime, run a dehumidifier and spend as little time inside as you can. Mold is seriously Bad poo poo.

jesspater
Feb 13, 2013
So I know this is the knitting forum, and I am showing a picture of crochet, but I need some expert advise on the colorblocking of my latest project. I am not sure if I like the green-light blue transition. I want this to be completely multi-striped, so any color suggestions I would greatly appreciate! Oh, and I am using http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/vannaschoice.html

Thanks again!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I finally got used to circulars, and I actually love them. I think I'll use them for straight knitting too, since they just seem a bit easier to handle, except when the wire gets all twisted around. I have to be careful though, I paused halfway through a round last time I did some knitting, then picked it back up and carried on... the wrong way. So now I have a half of my knitting two rows longer than the other half. :(

I didn't know how specifically to unpick stitches either, which I think I should learn before I start again, since I literally untangled the entire thing to start again. Luckily I was only ~3 rounds in.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I started knitting in October looking for something to do with the large amount of free time I have.

The first thing I ever made! (It was supposed to be a scarf :ssh:)

I made a lot of mistakes but I thought it turned out pretty good.

Then we got a round loom and I made this Halloweenish tube scarf for my mom

This scarf I made for my girlfriend at the time, I was really proud of it

I haven't heard from her since :smith:, I got really discouraged and stopped knitting for a couple months.

Last week I finished this for my dad

And yesterday I finished this

This is what I'm working on now

I really love knitting, I want to start making animals and monsters and stuff but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do stuff on my own. I want to take classes but I don't have the money or transportation. Are there some online resources anyone knows about that might help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Lunimeow posted:

I really love knitting, I want to start making animals and monsters and stuff but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do stuff on my own. I want to take classes but I don't have the money or transportation. Are there some online resources anyone knows about that might help me out?

An obvious one is ravelry.com (sorry if you know this already, it's hard to imagine knitting without it) - they have helpful forums, as well as immeasurable other awesome things, so this one is pretty non-negotiable.

I taught myself, and consider myself to be a pretty skilled knitter at this point, and whenever I get stumped on something, I first try to youtube the technique I'm trying to do. There are TONS of knitting videos on there. I also surf through ravelry to see if other people have had my problem and how they fixed it.