Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

the point is that either way it's still capital-E Evil.

Actually I would say it is EVIL, with all capital letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cliff Racer posted:

Gassing people is no more evil than killing them through arena fighting. If anything it is an equal death whereas the arena gives stronger people an advantage over weaker ones. Not to mention that the gas might very well be a lot less painful and humiliating than getting your arms chopped off by a retarded ogre while people cheer at your death.

Wow, coming from someone with your avatar....

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Given my experience with this forum, I would wager a guess that he didn't exactly, ah, choose this particular avatar of his own volition. There is a fifty-fifty chance that he isn't even Jewish.

At any rate, there isn't much useful moral insight to be gained from comparing the moral acceptability of methods of mass murder.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can we go back to arguing whether the spells Durkon casted on himself would provide a reasonable advantage against a vampire cleric? I prefer that to this.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Why not debate if a cartoon cleric of a fictious death god is comparable to Hitler ?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Better idea: a betting pool on how many comics until Vaarsuvius shows up. I say three.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

Better idea: a betting pool on how many comics until Vaarsuvius shows up. I say three.
I like this idea.

Honestly, it depends upon the flow. V could show up, and then accomplish absolutely nothing. Or, she could be late, and arrive just in time to swing the final battle in the Order's favor- and then have one of the IFCC cash in their debt.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, he has no weapons. His slam attack is 1d6 plus level drain, but no level drain. A Lizardman claw/claw/bite attack is 1d4+1/1d4+1/1d4, he probably has about a 19 strength so that's about 21.5 damage on average if he hits with all three and does not move. But his base attack bonus probably isn't amazing or anything and Durkon probably has a fairly good AC. Malack also has blood drain if he can grapple, and probably has a good grapple attack. However if one of Durkon's 4th level spells is freedom of movement that would be impossible.

His most devastating abilities and spells are actually mostly useless at the moment because of death ward.

Durkon isn't really any better off, and Malack's regeneration gives him a total advantage, but Durkon could survive a battle of attrition for a very good number of rounds, perhaps enough for someone to intervene.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
How long until Death Ward wears off?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
He actually has a quarterstaff but he put it down a few pages ago.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pope Guilty posted:

How long until Death Ward wears off?

It's like a minute per level, so quite a while.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

skipThings posted:

The priest of Loki who killed "brainy" pete
On that note, is Hank evil? Because if so, then he might be a candidate for least-evil evil person.

Loving the back-and-forth swings in this fight. And "What Would Roy Do?".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If we're including may-not-be-outright-evil evil characters, I submit the Monster in the Dark.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

My Lovely Horse posted:

If we're including may-not-be-outright-evil evil characters, I submit the Monster in the Dark.

Nope. When a paladin says you're a "good man" then you're at worst Neutral, maybe even Good. No way is MitD actually Evil, especially since O-Chul can magically determine if that is so.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Nope. When a paladin says you're a "good man" then you're at worst Neutral, maybe even Good. No way is MitD actually Evil, especially since O-Chul can magically determine if that is so.

But then why would Xykon have him on the team?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Because the monster isn't the brightest tool in the shed and can probably either be manipulated or magically forced to do his bidding.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

TheAceOfLungs posted:

He's big and scary and does what he's told.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Using an evil big scary monster to kill and destroy is evil. Using a good big scary monster for the same is double-evil-plus and, therefore, more amusing, which is one of Xykon's priorities.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's also a Start of Darkness reason which I won't bring up, those who've read it will know what I'm talking about and it spoils basically the whole comic to describe.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:siren: Order of the Stick 876: Ensnared:siren:

Vampire Durkon it is.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:stare:

Welp. Malack may be a bastard, but he's a magnificent one.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh my god

Malack's a sarrukh?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have to say, this is one of the longest successive speeches Durkon has given and despite the seriousness of the scene, his accent makes it all a little ridiculous. "Oh, me spell" had me actually laughing.

It doesn't help that he sounds like the Demoman from TF2 in my head anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why didn't he just do that in the first place? It feels kind of made up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

greatn posted:

Because he didn't want to give Durkon a chance to come up with some other plan. Better to just let him charge in and get grabbed, then take away the only advantage he has.

e: Or that.
vvvvv

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

greatn posted:

He tried getting into close quarters and ate a full-powered Heal. He needed to wait for Durkon to blow his arsenal first.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Durkon is hosed! Unless V shows up in the next strip of Belkar shakes off his Hold Person, we've got the answer to one of of our prophecies.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Should Death Ward even protect against a vampire bite? It's a simple con drain extraordinary ability, and not a negative energy spell like ability.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't think Death Ward protects from the bite in the first place, but it's so much cooler this way.

Divine Power + grapple + blood drain is exactly how I predicted Malack ending the fight since it started, I just expected it a little sooner than this.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Looks like we're getting Vampire Durkon, and probably Dead As A Doornail Belkar.

Considering the common criticism of Durkon as a dull, flat character, a forced alignment shift and the likely conclusion of his prophecy as a result should go a long way to developing him. I could even imagine Xykon showing up, vaporizing Malack and then taking control of Durkon with some undead-controlling magic so he can have his own pocket-priest for the Snarl ritual now that Tsukiko is dead.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I say Belkar becomes a snack for freshly minted vampire Durkon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It all depends on how much of a bastard Rich is. We all thought we knew what was coming with Belkar getting bit, and now we're faced with the exact same panel except with Durkon as the victim. I'm not getting on board the Vampire Durkon train until I see fangs over the beard.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vampire Durkon, vampire Belkar and... vampire Mr Scruffy? :drac:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What the heck is Malack anyway with that tail? Yuan-ti? Naga?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Killing two party members in this single encounter with Malak seems overkill, story-wise. My hunch is something will rescue Belkar and cause Malak to withdraw, but not before Durkon gets vamped.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Durkon is hosed! Unless V shows up in the next strip of Belkar shakes off his Hold Person, we've got the answer to one of of our prophecies.

V appearing seems too obvious. It does seem like Roy and Haley have let Belkar and Durkon wander off for too long.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Colonel Cool posted:

What the heck is Malack anyway with that tail? Yuan-ti? Naga?

He is a common lizardfolk.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Soonmot posted:

Given that we just saw this exact scenario play out with Belkar and Durkon, I doubt we see another last-second rescue.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

run DNC posted:

He is a common lizardfolk.
Common lizardfolk in 3.5 are humanoids with feet and a tail for balance. Malack clearly has no feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Toplowtech posted:

Common lizardfolk in 3.5 are humanoids with feet and a tail for balance. Malack clearly has no feet.

By the timescale of his (un)life, Malack's birth was probably way before 3.5.