Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

haha, that's three times as much (and a dollar cheaper) as the entire Richmond metro area received.

I'm glad FW is somewhat underrated in Portland. No bottle limit on Sucaba at the place I go to, where it's $13.49. I still see parabola and XV at a few spots too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does someone have the intro to Belgian beers that was mentioned in the OP? It links to here but it has been archived.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Oh yeah, I'll throw that up on the OP or the first reply when I get a chance. Thank you for mentioning that.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Enjoy By is all it's cracked up to be. Really good DIPA.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Cervixalot posted:

Thanks for the Chigoon heads up on Sucaba- picked up the last one they had at the Binnys on Clark about 30 mins ago!

I found about 6 bottles of it this past weekend at the Foremost Liquors on Argyle if anyone is looking for it.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

TenaciousTomato posted:

This batch has a little less citrus and a little more pine upfront than the 12.21.12, but it's still great. We didn't get 2.13.13 in the Bay Area, so no clue how it compares. I think the 12.21 batch is the best DIPA I've ever had, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TenaciousTomato posted:

I had one last night and man was it great. I felt like I was being punched in the face with all the hops, but in a good way.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

That reminds me of a douche move by one of the west lakeview liquor guys. I was walking around in there a few weeks ago and some lady came in and asked for Hopslam. The dude told her he didn't have any in a kind of rude way and then proceeded to make fun of her to me after she left. "I'm tired of these people coming in here looking for hyped poo poo like that after its been out for this long." And this was less than a week after it hit Chicago. He was a real dick and I was thinking of how it would piss me off if that was me or if it was my girlfriend (who doesnt give a poo poo about beer) trying to buy me beer. That pretentious neck beard will probably stop me from going back there for awhile and represents what's wrong with a lot of beer nerds.

Big difference compared to Binny's where the staff have only been exceptionally nice and helpful for people new to beer. Their main beer guy talked to two guys for 20 minutes about what they like, recommendations and food pairing ideas last night.

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 3, 2013

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Multiple bottles of ODell Amuste in hand.:getin:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

What It Dooski posted:

That reminds me of a douche move by one of the west lakeview liquor guys. I was walking around in there a few weeks ago and some lady came in and asked for Hopslam. The dude told her he didn't have any in a kind of rude way and then proceeded to make fun of her to me after she left. "I'm tired of these people coming in here looking for hyped poo poo like that after its been out for this long." And this was less than a week after it hit Chicago. He was a real dick and I was thinking of how it would piss me off if that was me or if it was my girlfriend (who doesnt give a poo poo about beer) trying to buy me beer. That pretentious neck beard will probably stop me from going back there for awhile and represents what's wrong with a lot of beer nerds.

Big difference compared to Binny's where the staff have only been exceptionally nice and helpful for people new to beer. Their main beer guy talked to two guys for 20 minutes about what they like, recommendations and food pairing ideas last night.

That's not cool, but I certainly have never felt anything but welcome at WLV. Can't hire the best all the time?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

That's not cool, but I certainly have never felt anything but welcome at WLV. Can't hire the best all the time?

It doesn't take the best to know that you shouldn't talk poo poo about the customers in front of the customers.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

You could always talk to the management and let them know specifically why you will not be giving them your business anymore. Will they care? Probably not. That's when you get 4 of your buddies to go in and tell them the exact same thing.
e: was it the rude beer shop goon manning the register?:D

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

withak posted:

It doesn't take the best to know that you shouldn't talk poo poo about the customers in front of the customers.

Hence the question mark... Sarcastic justification.

People's individual experiences shape their opinions of places, often permanently. I try to ignore bad service/experiences once. But when it happens again, that implies a systematic issue.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
How sour is The Bruery's Tart of Darkness and Sour in the Rye? I have a bottle of each, despite not liking sours much I bought them, and was wondering if I should trade them off or give them a try.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Midorka posted:

How sour is The Bruery's Tart of Darkness and Sour in the Rye? I have a bottle of each, despite not liking sours much I bought them, and was wondering if I should trade them off or give them a try.

Tart of Darkness is quite sour.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Holy poo poo, Abita actually makes a pretty drat good beer! I've had a lot of their stuff and it's all slightly above mediocre at best, but I picked up their Mardi Gras Bock in a mixed six today. Super clean, great maltiness from the munich without being too sweet and a bit of caramel in the finish. One of the best maibocks I've ever had.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I guess I'll save Tart of Darkness for a share, what about Sour in the Rye?

I'm drinking my Firestone 16 now, holy hell this is great. Aromas of toffee, chocolate, cherries, bourbon, tobacco and vanilla. Flavors of vanilla, cherries, chocolate, toffee, brown sugar, brandy, bourbon, and honey. This is sweet but balanced nicely and the barrel flavors are really mellow here, really nicely blended.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Midorka posted:

I guess I'll save Tart of Darkness for a share, what about Sour in the Rye?

it's tart as a motherfucker, much more sour and mouth-puckering than ToD.

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
yeah I just had sour on the rye on draft and it was very sour. Didnt get much of the spiciness of the rye but lots of good sour and funk make up for it.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Midorka posted:

Aromas of toffee, chocolate, cherries, bourbon, tobacco and vanilla. Flavors of vanilla, cherries, chocolate, toffee, brown sugar, brandy, bourbon, and honey. This is sweet but balanced nicely and the barrel flavors are really mellow here, really nicely blended.

Legit question: how are you getting so many distinct aromas/flavors from a drink? Even the most complex beers I've had I can pick out 3, 4 tops flavors/aromas, and they usually aren't distinct enough to separate toffee from brown sugar from honey. All would be an "unsugary sweetness" to me. Am I doing this wrong?
It's okay if I am, because I'm still drinking great beers and enjoying the hell out of them. :cheers:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Legit question: how are you getting so many distinct aromas/flavors from a drink? Even the most complex beers I've had I can pick out 3, 4 tops flavors/aromas, and they usually aren't distinct enough to separate toffee from brown sugar from honey. All would be an "unsugary sweetness" to me. Am I doing this wrong?
It's okay if I am, because I'm still drinking great beers and enjoying the hell out of them. :cheers:

Look who posted it.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

ShaneB posted:

Look who posted it.

this is askbeeradvocate.com, right?

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Holy poo poo, Abita actually makes a pretty drat good beer! I've had a lot of their stuff and it's all slightly above mediocre at best, but I picked up their Mardi Gras Bock in a mixed six today. Super clean, great maltiness from the munich without being too sweet and a bit of caramel in the finish. One of the best maibocks I've ever had.

Their Christmas Ale wasn't bad this year, to me it tasted like a lighter Celebration Ale. I had heard good things from a few colleagues and threw it in a mixed six, didn't know it was supposed to be spiced at all but their website says it was. Who knows, I enjoyed it.

The Abbey Ale is good too, almost too sweet for me but worth it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Captain Shortbus posted:

I don't necessarily think it's people just making poo poo up, but like you alluded to a lot of those flavors/aromas are closely related. Like if you have a toffee flavor in there, you can pretty much throw in caramel and vanilla as a given and could add a nutty flavor as well. So it's not really that you have 3 distinct flavors but they're all in there. So when you're trying to sound like you know what you're talking about you can list a shitton of stuff even if it's not a distinct flavor. This is why I'm a Certified Cicerone®, gotta know how to sound smarmy when you need to.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 3, 2013

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Josh Wow posted:

I don't necessarily think it's people just making poo poo up, but like you alluded to a lot of those flavors/aromas are closely related. Like if you have a toffee flavor in there, you can pretty much throw in caramel and vanilla as a given and could add a nutty flavor as well. So it's not really that you have 3 distinct flavors but they're all in there. So when you're trying to sound like you know what you're talking about you can list a shitton of stuff even if it's not a distinct flavor. This is why I'm a Certified Cicerone®, gotta know how to sound smarmy when you need to.

A Certified Cicerone® should be able to tell the difference between Lance brand Burnt Peanuts and the ones you get out of the machine at Safeway on 73rd and Jackson. He can also put that distinct flavor into words. GOML*

*Get On Midorka's Level

Content: This little article has me at least a little confident that this beer might end up good. https://www.boulevard.com/the-making-of-coffee-ale/

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 3, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Captain Shortbus posted:

There's not a right or wrong. I just jot down the aromas that come to mind as I sip the beer. A lot of the aromas are closely related like you said, but some times they remind me of something else on another sip.

I don't understand the snarkiness towards me though, we're here to talk about beer and how we perceive it yeah? I enjoy them by over analyzing them. I'm not attempting to appear like I have super senses, I don't. Just wanted to share the flavors and aromas that come to mind as I share beers I really enjoy.

Thanks for the Sour in the Rye info though, I'll hold onto these until I develop a sour palate then.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 3, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

I'm not attempting to appear like I have super senses, I don't. Just wanted to share the flavors and aromas that come to mind as I share beers I really enjoy.

There's actually a pretty decent amount of men and women who are supertasters, it's not like it's a super rare anomaly. With that said, I don't think I'm a supertaster, because I love grapefruit juice, coffee, and a lot of other things which supertasters typically don't enjoy. I should probably just do the test already and see how many taste buds I have.

I still think it's pretty easy to enjoy beer, and pick up on a lot of little nuances of a particular beer without being a supertaster. I personally only taste 3-4 flavors in the average beer I drink, but there are certain beers I've had which are a bit overwhelming with all the different things I taste at once.

Black Note release tomorrow in the Cleveland area... it's actually happening at two different stores, one at 3 PM, the other at 4 PM. Both stores have a one bottle limit, and I'm going to do my best to hit both stores so I can get two bottles. I'm also going to see if I can bribe one of my unemployed friends to come along so I can get two more bottles. That probably makes me seem greedy, but I just really really want to get a few of these so I can have a nice vertical saved up.

Beer! :cheers:

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 3, 2013

HumanCropcircle
Sep 26, 2005

dphi posted:

I'm glad FW is somewhat underrated in Portland. No bottle limit on Sucaba at the place I go to, where it's $13.49. I still see parabola and XV at a few spots too.

Seriously? I'd definitely be willing to trade for a bottle of Parabola.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

drinking some much-lauded Foothills Sexual Chocolate and i'm not terribly impressed. up front, it's a decent, roasty, and easy-drinking stout (seriously, you can hardly tell there's alcohol in it), but the finish is dominated by bitter tannins, drying out my mouth and leaving it tasting like i've been chewing on a big piece of lumber. seriously, it's numbing my tongue a little, what the hell?

oh, had some Sour in the Rye earlier. not as tart/sour as i remembered it, but still not a beginner-level example of the style.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 4, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Captain Shortbus posted:

It's BeerAdvocate Spice Rack Syndrome.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's only happened for me a couple times but I've had a few beers where I could write a pretty lengthy list of flavor/aroma descriptors that kept changing as the beer warmed and I picked out new characteristics. Most recent was Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery. It's a bourbon barrel-aged stout at something absurd like 18% ABV and there is a LOT going on. Firestone's Anniversary is a blend of a shitload of different barrel-aged beers so it's not unreasonable to find a lot of complexity in there, too.

And yeah I'd agree that a lot of the flavors necessarily go together. I don't think it's out of line to list everything you pick up, though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Is JW Lees Harvest Ale supposed to smell and taste like an aerosol can that would have a name like "fresh mountain air" but really be overbearing and perfume like? I do not dig this at all. It's from 2011 for what it's worth and my first Harvest Ale.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
:drat: This Rodenbach (classic red, 5.2%) is delicious. Between this and the two Enjoy By's I got, it has been a good weekend for beer. I'm thinking Duchesse de Bourgogne next?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Is Sour in the Rye worth the $20ish price tag?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery.

Love this. Definitely one of the more complex ba'd stouts you can find.

A day mostly by myself meant catching up on things in my to-drink pile. Very much enjoyed Simtra. Came off as a something between a midwest DIPA and the Ruination anniversary beer. The booze burn on the back end wasn't ideal, though.

Then had my first Sea Monster and wasn't overly impressed. Pretty standard dry-er imperial stout, with big roast flavor. Definitely not on the level of Stone's or Ten Fidy for me but doesn't have the anise taste that Founders' and Expedition seem to have.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 4, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Is Sour in the Rye worth the $20ish price tag?

if you like sours, absolutely.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Fragrag posted:

Does someone have the intro to Belgian beers that was mentioned in the OP? It links to here but it has been archived.

This has now been pasted into the second post on this thread.

I have now written lots and lots of words about Bend for the purposes of our little wiki. I probably put too much effort into it but oh well, I like talking about beer. I wish we could upload images to the wiki, though, because then I'd get to decorate my page with this fine pic

:cool::cool:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Then had my first Sea Monster and wasn't overly impressed. Pretty standard dry-er imperial stout, with big roast flavor. Definitely not on the level of Stone's or Ten Fidy for me but doesn't have the anise taste that Founders' and Expedition seem to have.

Yeah, Sea Monster is pretty average for an imperial stout. It's their imperial porter, Victory at Sea, that you want to keep an eye out for.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

Is JW Lees Harvest Ale supposed to smell and taste like an aerosol can that would have a name like "fresh mountain air" but really be overbearing and perfume like? I do not dig this at all. It's from 2011 for what it's worth and my first Harvest Ale.

JW Lees Harvest Ale is one of the weirdest beers I've ever had. I had a horizontal of either the 2008 or 2009 vintage with a group of friends where we tried the base ale and all of the barrel-aged versions. There were a lot of very strange descriptors thrown around. Probably the most popular one was that it was like chewing on a green twig. It was very oddly woody and "green", for lack of a better description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

legionofawesomebeer.com posted:

Seattle

Seattle beer is known for it's loving hugs and kisses. It looks at you with bedroom eyes. It caresses you deeply and lulls you into a slumber-like state. The beer draws you into its bedroom, closes the door, lays you down on the bed, and then proceeds to gently caress you with bloody power tools. Oh god how did you make a chainsaw out of hammers? A router does not belong in that hole, beer demon! NO! I AM NOT THE CATCHER, BEER, I AM THE PITCHER!

:wtc: