Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What makes Liz so bad? Specifically, what do you do to counter her R Action?

I know she's terrible but my friend always lands an RA on me and then I get some status effect and it snowballs from there.

He knows some good combos with her, as far as I know we aren't playing at total scrub level but I'm starting to feel like one since the Internet has nothing to say about Liz except she's horrible and a free win.

I play Chie and when I go for 5DD oki he RA's through it.

I also use Yosuke, Labrys.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
You can tech her R-Action, and 99% of the time, you have something that beats all of her defensive actions. It's so slow, you can do something on reaction anyway. So once you get it, most characters remain in and win.

For example, even as Kanji I can just do reaction j.C and get like 7k on her NP, or even kill her if I have full meter usually.

As Chie, you can do reaction j.C and murder her instantly I'm pretty sure.

Mitsuru just trashes her though, she can 5A -> Coup Droit if Liz summons anything at all, and 4B her RAction and kill her instantly. Arguably the worst matchup in the game.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 1, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Elephunk posted:

What makes Liz so bad? Specifically, what do you do to counter her R Action?

I know she's terrible but my friend always lands an RA on me and then I get some status effect and it snowballs from there.

He knows some good combos with her, as far as I know we aren't playing at total scrub level but I'm starting to feel like one since the Internet has nothing to say about Liz except she's horrible and a free win.

I play Chie and when I go for 5DD oki he RA's through it.

I also use Yosuke, Labrys.

Thanks!

Her RA is super duper slow (29F startup). So for one, you should be able to react to it every time once you know what it looks like well enough. 5A and 2A have way less total time than 29F so you can literally just throw one out there, and if you didn't get a block, then you know she R-Actioned and you can just get a free punish.

Second thing, you can always throw break it if for some reason you didn't (or couldn't) react to it with a jump or whatever in time.

Secondly, as Chie, all you have to do is 5DD and jump up, and that will beat it out. You'll go right over her if she tries to R-Action, and land and get an easy big punish. If she didn't R-Action, then she's stuck in blockstun and you get your standard ATG mixups. You literally should not have to adjust your gameplay in the slightest to beat her R-Action.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Kinda last minute, but the dustloop XBL ranbats are today at 7:30pm EST, you can look here for more info: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?15753-P4A-Ranbats-%28XBL%29-Season-2-Episode-3-2-1-13

You can just get on irc (instructions are there) and sign up directly in the channel, or for those familiar with irc just connect to irc.mibbit.net in #DLXBLranbats

It'll be streamed too, so if you just wanna watch you can see it at https://www.twitch.tv/denjinj

See you guys soon~ :toot:

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
Kuma guide! Kuma in 3 days.

Day1:
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Teddie_%28P4Arena%29
Check through his moves on the dustloop wiki and try each one of them in practice mode. Play around with microdash 5B 5D.
Learn what each one of his items do. For now, just throw the first 2 items asap. The 2nd item restores SP, so don't let the opponent have it.
Items 3~5 are very strong.
Ice, aerial bomb and the barrel are one of the strongest items kuma has, and they're all in a row.
Ice can be used as a mixup, combo extender, antiair or trap/blocking their approach.
Aerial bomb and barrel are best used together. Try to learn the timing when the aerial bomb explodes.
Barrel is arguably the best item Kuma has. It'll eat a lot of horizontal space, and will force really good mixups once the opponent blocks it.
Try to control the air with 2C, j.A and 2B and force them to either block the barrel or eat an antiair move. Once they're blocking, you can use quickescape to create a mixup that is difficult to block.

Horizontal moves:
5B: This is one of kuma's staple tools. It's rather fast and has great horizontal range, and near the corner it leads into huge combos on counterhit. Be careful not to whiff this though.
Try to remember and start using 5AA 5B backdash sequence to keep your spacing.

j.C: This is a really good move. The hitbox is so huge that it even hits chie 2a and the like. The return on counterhit is also huge - even if you just 2B j.a j.236 you'll do over 3000 damage. You'll learn better combos with this later on. Just get familiar with this move for now.

5A: This move has a long reach for being 5A. As it's jump cancellable, you have a lot of options to go for from here.

Antiair:

2B:
This move has almost no horizontal hitbox, but it's one of the best anti-airs in the game. It's jump cancellable in the rare case the opponent lands and blocks it. Try not to whiff though, as the recovery on whiff is rather long. Doesn't lead into a lot of damage midscreen, but near the corner it'll net lots of damage.

j.A: This move is really fast, has a really good hitbox and is active for quite long, giving you the advance even if it's blocked. Superior for air-to-air. If you land a hit, go for j.B j.D and if you still have an airdash to use, you can airdash after j.D.

2C: When the opponent tries to bait your 2B with double jump or moves like Labrys j.214, or when you anticipate they are trying to jump over you (i.e when you're using barrel).
This move fatal counters, so the return is really high.

Pressure and mixups:
Kuma has only one overhead move, A+B. Even his aerial moves can be blocked both high and low. Instead of high/low mixups, kuma aims for throws and crossups more.

Throw:
Kuma's throw is really good. Midscreen it's rather difficult to combo from throw, but in the corner the damage payoff is huge.
Midscreen you can use dash 5B 236C+D 236236C against some characters, but it's hardly worth the meter.
In the corner, you can do something I'd call Kuma's #1 bnb.
Throw microdash 5B hj8 j.C j.B j.A 5B 5C 2B j.A j.A j.236A j.236236{D} }D{ 214B or 214A+B
Especially the microdash 5B hj8 j.C j.B j.A part requires a lot of practice. Do j.C almost immediately after the highjump so that you don't go too high.
Cancel j.B into j.A immediately, and the rest of the combo should be easy.
For the last part, hold D in 236236D and release it when the opponent is near the ground, making them bounce up again. Hit them with 214B on the way down to inflict Fear status.
For okizeme you can do low j.C land 5b or dash in 5a or throw an item.

While this combo requires a little practice and might prove a bit hard for new fighting game players, I'd recommend spending most of your training time learning this single combo. Without it Kuma is a lot weaker.
For those who are content with playing at lower level and don't have the time for practice, you can do this inferior and a lot easier combo:
Throw 5B 5C 2B j.A j.A j.236A j.236236D

A+B
Kuma's only overhead move, and slightly different from other bokosuka-attacks in the game in the sense that you can hold your stick left or right to control the attack during the startup, making crossups possible. The move itself is rather slow and very easily reacted to, but when you hit from behind it gets a lot harder to block. Can be also used to punish throw/counter throw attempts, as it gets immune to throws very quick. Also beats out a lot of r-actions, making it a good tool against reversal happy opponents. The damage return is pretty high.
Be careful with Yukiko's, Kanji's and Chie's r-actions as they mostly beat this.

throw / A+B counter
You'll need to be careful though, as the opponent can do backjump airthrow to beat out kuma's throw and A+B options both. The jump avoids the groundthrow, and Kuma's bokosuka-attack can be airthrown.
To avoid this, use more 2A and vary your throw / A+B timings.
To get the highest return, you can do microdash 2C, but it also has the biggest risk.

Dash inertia ascending j.B
As a mixup to dash up throw, you can do this to beat out counterthrows. Also beats out most normal attacks as well as some r-actions, so overall the risk is very low.
You can control the bounce of j.B by holding back or front, or letting the stick stay at neutral and attack from either side next this way.

Airdash j.B
After a jumpcancellable move like 5A, you can do instant airdash and hit with a crossup j.B from behind.
To net anything from this requires some practice though: You need to cancel j.B into j.A immediately, and do a really quick microdash 5A once you're grounded.
Most 5A beat j.A here so make sure to mix this pattern with your other choices to avoid being 5A'd.

Phew, Day1 info a bit longer than I had initally planned.
Day2 and Day3 will be much shorter and mainly focused on Kuma's items and combos.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
You say "microdash" a lot, but what does it mean?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Mr. Fun posted:

In a game like Street Fighter 4 if you double tap forward and keep holding foward, you'll get a small dash then start walking forward. In a game like Persona if you double tap and hold forward you'll actually go into a run. Microdashing is double tapping forward and releasing immediately to spend the shortest amount of time running which mimics something like a mini-dash.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Fun posted:

Trihugger posted:

In a game like Street Fighter 4 if you double tap forward and keep holding foward, you'll get a small dash then start walking forward. In a game like Persona if you double tap and hold forward you'll actually go into a run. Microdashing is double tapping forward and releasing immediately to spend the shortest amount of time running which mimics something like a mini-dash.

This, but there's also a very, very important detail in Persona 4 Arena: You can "cancel" the dash into a move, so you can basically dash while performing a move.
Input a quick 665A and you'll get a 5A where you move about a character width forward during the move. This is required in a lot of combos and it makes pressure stronger etc so it's very, very, very important to be able to do it 100% if you aim to be good at this game.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
here's a few lengthy videos worth checking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynymxh8BObQ
6 hours of labrys vs narukami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq9Tssnbw0o
labrys vs kuma first to 10 wins

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Does this game have the option for Japanese/English voice acting? Everything I see of it seems to indicate that it's Japanese only.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Does this game have the option for Japanese/English voice acting? Everything I see of it seems to indicate that it's Japanese only.

You can choose between Japanese and English.
There's a reason why most people prefer the japanese voice acting though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doyagao posted:

You can choose between Japanese and English.
There's a reason why most people prefer the japanese voice acting though.

A lot of the english voices are great, there's just a few stinkers (I'm looking at you, Teddie and Aigis). There's some real bad japanese ones too though like Chie. I wish you could toggle individual characters like in MvC3, but whatcha gonna do~~~

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The English voices are pretty good for the most part. If you willingly choose not to play Labrys on English then I don't even wanna know you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Troffen posted:

The English voices are pretty good for the most part. If you willingly choose not to play Labrys on English then I don't even wanna know you.

I'm pretty sure people just choose not to play Labrys period.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And everyone knows that english Kanji has flat-out the best voice in the game. :colbert:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty sure people just choose not to play Labrys period.

Yeah I'll admit the accent is probably the most compelling reason to play her v:shobon:v

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

[quote="" post=""]
[/quote]
her japanese vc is my own personal favorite of the female voices in the game. Everyone loves her kansai accent. I have to admit I haven't even heard the English voice, but in general I always want everything in their original voice acting and not dubbed.

Countblanc posted:

A lot of the english voices are great, there's just a few stinkers (I'm looking at you, Teddie and Aigis). There's some real bad japanese ones too though like Chie. I wish you could toggle individual characters like in MvC3, but whatcha gonna do~~~

Chie's voiceactress is actually easily the most famous and high profile VA of the whole bunch

Doyagao fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 11, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doyagao posted:

Chie's voiceactress is actually the most famous of the whole bunch

Yeah but it stinks. She sounds like a spunky child more than a kung-fu otaku who doesn't know how to interact with other humans.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Glad this got bumped because I played in a P4A tournament today and took 2nd and wanted to brag.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSTXD1CKW4

Lots of great matches here

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Thanks for this. I main Yukiko and love watching more high level Yukiko play, but if Yukiko vs Shadow Labrys isn't the most busted up match on the planet I don't know what is. :( I can beat the awful ones, but an experienced S Lab? Forget about it.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Thanks for this. I main Yukiko and love watching more high level Yukiko play, but if Yukiko vs Shadow Labrys isn't the most busted up match on the planet I don't know what is. :( I can beat the awful ones, but an experienced S Lab? Forget about it.

it is yukiko's hardest matchup and one of the worst matchups in the game, but it's not completely unwinnable.
The shadow labrys in that particular video simply outplays the other players

KandaKo
Feb 17, 2013

I've had this game for a while but I've only recently actually played any online. I main Teddie and Yu, though all I really do is spam auto-combo since I'm terrible at fighting games. I've got pretty good timing, though.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

KandaKo posted:

I've had this game for a while but I've only recently actually played any online. I main Teddie and Yu, though all I really do is spam auto-combo since I'm terrible at fighting games. I've got pretty good timing, though.

Everyone is terrible at fighting games until they actually practise and play a lot. And understand how things work.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Countblanc posted:

Yeah but it stinks. She sounds like a spunky child more than a kung-fu otaku who doesn't know how to interact with other humans.

What gave you the impression that she can't interact with other people? She gets along with anyone, it's one of the things Yukiko wants to be able to do.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
http://www.twitch.tv/st1ckbug

kinda late with this, but some american persona stream going on

Libertad
Mar 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The story mode in this game just confirmed for me that Persona 3 had a more interesting story and characters.

The cast of P3 went through more real stuff and it made more sense to have them just wipe the floor with the P4 cast.

I still love the P4 cast don't get me wrong but if P3 had P4 gameplay changes it'd be way greater.

Also what is taking Atlus so long on announcing Persona 5?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Libertad posted:

The story mode in this game just confirmed for me that Persona 3 had a more interesting story and characters.

The cast of P3 went through more real stuff and it made more sense to have them just wipe the floor with the P4 cast.

I still love the P4 cast don't get me wrong but if P3 had P4 gameplay changes it'd be way greater.

Also what is taking Atlus so long on announcing Persona 5?

Busy hyping the Devil Survivor anime adaptation, then SMT IV, then SMT x Fire Emblem.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Busy hyping the Devil Survivor anime adaptation, then SMT IV, then SMT x Fire Emblem.

Don't forget about the 3DS Soul Hackers remake!

Libertad
Mar 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

W.T. Fits posted:

Don't forget about the 3DS Soul Hackers remake!

And then the Persona 3 movie!

Although I'm hoping they'll use that as a hype vehicle for Persona 5

Side Note: I didn't realize there were all these random offshoots in the umbrella like the SMT's and Devil Summoners

As a fan of Persona 3-4 and who got bored with Nocturne do you recommend any of the other games or have they aged too much. It seems to me like most of them are basically watered down Personas although I may be wrong with that.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Libertad posted:

Side Note: I didn't realize there were all these random offshoots in the umbrella like the SMT's and Devil Summoners

Uh... SMT is the core franchise, it's been around since the NES days. Persona's the offshoot that came around in the PSone era.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Libertad posted:

And then the Persona 3 movie!

Although I'm hoping they'll use that as a hype vehicle for Persona 5

As a fan of Persona 3-4 and who got bored with Nocturne do you recommend any of the other games or have they aged too much. It seems to me like most of them are basically watered down Personas although I may be wrong with that.

Persona 3 and 4 are not really typical of the rest of the SMT franchise, they're a lot more story and character based than most of them. None of the other series mix in the real-world highschool setting, most of them START with the apocalypse and deal with your character/team getting through it. The earlier Persona games might take place in the real world but don't have the Social stuff.

In something like Strange Journey (considered part of the "core" SMT), there's much more focus on the dungeons and combat where in Persona 4 those can sometimes feel like they're not the main part of the game. SJ has unique dungeons you traverse in first-person, you have a main character + his party of demons, just like Nocturne. The cast exists so you can basically choose which side to follow near the end, instead of the Persona 4 "we're all friends now!" In a typical SMT game you will fight and kill some of the NPCs you start out friends with.

In Devil Survivor, it's an SRPG type thing that changes into typical SMT battles when you engage a unit on the map and there are no dungeons at all. You also have to balance each unit's combat team between the most powerful demons to summon and, because it's a grid-based SRPG, movement abilities that let you do stuff like attack from more than 1 square away. There are like 7 endings depending on who you ally with.

Devil Survivor 2 ends up borrowing some of the S.Link stuff from Persona, but makes it tied in to the story progression and your team members' performance.

I like the SMT games in general but yeah you won't get another one like P3/P4 unless you wait for P5.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is it just me not being good enough or is a Chie/Yukiko matchup pretty bad for Chie? I main Chie while a friend of mine mains Yukiko and I always have tons of trouble sticking to him like I would anyone else. Any time there's any kind of gap between us I have no idea how to close in on him.

Incidentally, after I switched characters for a few rounds of Yosuke/Yukiko, things went a lot better. I'm just wondering how the two matchups work out for higher level play where people actually know what they're doing.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It's supposed to be really easy for Chie once you get a knockdown - if he starts mashing DP jut chill and block.

There are plenty of rounds where you get zoned out though, but learn her okizeme setup from Dayagaos post in this thread and be able to do it right all the time and once Yuki goes down she won't get back up. (Don't let DP on wakeup frustrate you, once it happens start trying to bait them out instead of doing the wakeup shenanigans)

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Is it just me not being good enough or is a Chie/Yukiko matchup pretty bad for Chie? I main Chie while a friend of mine mains Yukiko and I always have tons of trouble sticking to him like I would anyone else. Any time there's any kind of gap between us I have no idea how to close in on him.

Incidentally, after I switched characters for a few rounds of Yosuke/Yukiko, things went a lot better. I'm just wondering how the two matchups work out for higher level play where people actually know what they're doing.

Chie and Yousuke are both good against Yukiko. Just zone carefully, put your fast dash 5A in good use. Anti-air any 2D / 3D they might use and if you manage to get a persona break, it's pretty much a free win. Super jump is also pretty important tool against yukiko, you need to keep changing your approach vectors to avoid her B fans.

While pressuring, you can do a lot of backdash to bait DP for a couple of frames, then do either 5c/214c or dash in -> either 5a or hold block to bait another dp
If you get a 5B counterhit in, yukiko should die in two combos

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
Yukiko is all about controlling space and getting momentum to gain the advantage. She has a lot of options for knocking you back across the screen, and some decent oki options to keep you there. While putting the pressure on, if you find yourself getting DPed, hop back and try to bait it and go for a serious punish. Like most DPs, if you bait Dia she's a sitting duck.

If you get knocked back, that's when you're probably going to be in the most trouble and as said before you should vary your approach to close the gap again. Put the pressure on, keep up a strong mixup game and look out for the DP and you should be able to defeat Yukiko pretty easily.

And yes, a persona-broken Yukiko is a free win. A careless Yukiko will throw out unsafe Konohanas which are pretty easy to hit, but just watch out for the delayed Agis.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

So good news, EU goons! Persona Europe just posted on their Facebook page that P4A's coming to Europe in May! ... Hopefully!

So get hype and hopefully the game will do well in spite of being released nearly a year late in comparison to the US!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Let's just hope that Atlus takes this as a lesson to not region lock their PS3 games ever again.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

LightningKimba posted:

So good news, EU goons! Persona Europe just posted on their Facebook page that P4A's coming to Europe in May! ... Hopefully!

So get hype and hopefully the game will do well in spite of being released nearly a year late in comparison to the US!

About loving time. Why does the PS3 release have to wait for the 360 release to get ready anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

AG3 posted:

About loving time. Why does the PS3 release have to wait for the 360 release to get ready anyway?

That's the same question I first had when they announced they have the PS3 version ready for submission.
They also keep saying how they have nothing to do with the delay involved, but who else is at fault then?

• Locked thread