Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You're already well into the range of edge cases when you start talking about having a minecraft server running on your home computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

XboxPants posted:

Well I'm not sure what the point of that link was.

But regardless, is this something that is going to require me to shut down everything I have open on my computer so I can restart it every time I want to use it?

The point is Valve is moving into console space.

You don't have to shut down everything on your computer if you want to use it, either. Or shut down anything to use big picture. I'm not sure what you're asking here, to be honest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

boo_radley posted:

You don't have to shut down everything on your computer if you want to use it, either. Or shut down anything to use big picture. I'm not sure what you're asking here, to be honest.

I'm pretty sure he has a really old and bad computer that he runs minecraft servers on while trying to play other games for some bizarre reason.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm pretty sure he has a really old and bad computer that he runs minecraft servers on while trying to play other games for some bizarre reason.

Its also mining his bitcoins

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Install Gentoo posted:

It's ok though, he should be able to run Minecraft on his SCOOBY, freeing up his machine for more important things like virus scanning at inconvenient hours and leaving Skype on all the time.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

boo_radley posted:

Uhhh the link he gave was to a rules thread in a Go forum. Though I guess even a cheap-rear end $100 go board & stones set would be a better investment than an OUYA so if that was the point I'll concede it.

Anyway, he wasn't just talking about big picture, but booting into it. Please, tell me about how I can reboot my computer without shutting anything down.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

XboxPants posted:

• Chrome is crashing because (x) and it chose to do so while I'm trying to not lose, and now it's making the game chug up like crazy

• I left my game running and Windows downloaded an update and force-rebooted, loving me

• Someone's Skyping me when I'm trying to play a game in fullscreen

• I left my game playing but now I want to go use my computer, and (fill in the blank here, this one entry could be an entire list on its own)

• I'm playing a game while running my Minecraft server because I'm not gonna turn it off every time I wanna play a game, and suddenly god knows what is happening on it, but it's making the game I'm playing play like poo poo

• Some window pops up from (x program), either obscuring my screen, knocking me out of full-screen, or both, something I can't fix with the gamepad

• My computer is doing something intensive - virus scan, video rendering, whatever - and I should probably wait until that's done to play a game on it

• My display settings are set to output only to the monitor because (x), so now I have to fix that first

• The PC audio settings aren't set up right because (x) - most likely muted

And, the number one reason...
  • I go to play a game, and the PC isn't even on. (or is on, but not logged in)

All that poo poo you can either turn off in windows settings or choose to not run at startup. If someone interrupts you with Skype on, just turn it off or better yet uninstall it because jerks should contact you on the Steam client instead of some voice and video program. Nothing is worse than having your game interrupted just so some jerk can tell you about how awesome their lunch was. Asking if they can join a game is another thing, but skype is not for games. :colbert:

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

XboxPants posted:

I really don't feel like the general principle I'm talking about is that strange. Whether it holds up for OUYA is one thing, but the general idea that a console is easier to set up and use than a PC? I really don't think you'd get much argument about that outside of a board like this.

The market for OUYA, as mentioned a couple posts ago, is fans of Android and indie games. Your average console consumer will look at the average indie game and say that it blows. As the launch lineup for the OUYA shows us, generally indie games do kind of blow and unless you're invested in gaming as a hobby I can't see much reason to look twice at the vast majority of them.

So your target audience becomes people who really want to play Android or indie games for whatever reason. Android fans already have Android devices available which already have games that are far superior to what the OUYA offers, not to mention that those devices can do more than play those games. Indie game fans are probably fairly well-versed in accessing indie games and making them run on a PC and wouldn't need the (marginal) increase in simplicity from using a console to do that.

As for your list of examples, every single one of these are toggles or options that would take less than thirty seconds to address if they're that disruptive to your experience. If you spend a lot of time playing full-screen games, why would you even have things like automatic updates/reboots and applications stealing focus turned on to begin with? And if having to turn the computer on is enough to make you not want to play a computer game, how is playing on a console going to change anything? Chances are you'll turn off the console when you're done with it too.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

XboxPants posted:

Anyway, he wasn't just talking about big picture, but booting into it. Please, tell me about how I can reboot my computer without shutting anything down.

It's so cute when you try to be condescending. Like a puppy growling at you from a puddle of its own piss

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Reverend Catharsis posted:

I think the big reason for the Gamecube's failure wasn't because of the Gamecube but because Nintendo dropped the ball. Third party game development for the GC sucked on toast. They only had four or five games that were worth a drat. Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Smash Bros Melee, what else.. Twilight Princess, but that was too late in the console's lifetime, the OoT/MM remakes. The PS2 and Xbox by comparison had significantly large libraries of awesome titles or at least loads of interesting ones.

caldrax posted:

I got some good use out of the Gamecube. F-Zero, Beyond Good and Evil, Resident Evil 4... ok I don't remember anything else right now but I really liked those games.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Between RE4, RE0, REMake, Eternal Darkness, SSBM, Pikmin, Wind Waker, Cubivore, Killer7, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, and any number of other games, I've got a feeling the GC legacy is going to grow with time, much like the Dreamcast.

No one is going to pour one out for the OUYA in 10 years.

How the gently caress does nobody mention Metroid Prime.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

No one is going to pour one out for the OUYA in 10 years.

Hipsters, BRHH. Hipsters will pour one out for the AFLACK in ten years. Presuming they haven't died out from starvation and lung cancer.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Requested_Username posted:

To be fair, if you scannned 100% of everything ever in a single playthrough, you knew what the definition of punishment was.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Requested_Username posted:

Oh my god of course. My favorite game on the system. I guess now that I have the collection with superior controls for Wii I stopped classifying it as a GC game.

Reverend Catharsis posted:

Hipsters, BRHH. Hipsters will pour one out for the AFLACK in ten years. Presuming they haven't died out from starvation and lung cancer.

OUYA: the Atari Lynx of the 2010s

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

Chances are you'll turn off the console when you're done with it too.

Yes, but I can turn the console back with the gamepad.

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

As for your list of examples, every single one of these are toggles or options that would take less than thirty seconds to address if they're that disruptive to your experience.

I don't believe you. Some of them, sure. But what's the toggle for "make chrome never crash"? If you'd like to give some details, I'll thin down the list and fill things in with specific examples:

•Chrome is crashing because (I have a ton of tabs open) and it chose to do so while I'm trying to not lose, and now it's making the game chug up like crazy

•I'm playing a game while running my Minecraft server because I'm not gonna turn it off every time I wanna play a game, and someone did something to corrupt the world and crash it and it's making the game I'm playing play like poo poo

•My computer is doing some (video rendering) and I should probably wait until that's done to play a game on it

•The PC audio settings are (muted), so now I have to fix that first

•This game only goes full screen on the primary screen, which is set as my monitor, so now I have to fix that first
(Or does Big Picture somehow address that particular issue?)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

XboxPants posted:

I really don't feel like the general principle I'm talking about is that strange. Whether it holds up for OUYA is one thing, but the general idea that a console is easier to set up and use than a PC? I really don't think you'd get much argument about that outside of a board like this.

But, just for fun, here's a list. Try not to think of them as individual, specific examples, but as events that could stand in for a number of situations. For instance, the Skype one - that doesn't have to be Skype. It could be anything.

I call this list: "Why would I want this experience?"

• Chrome is crashing because (x) and it chose to do so while I'm trying to not lose, and now it's making the game chug up like crazy

• I left my game running and Windows downloaded an update and force-rebooted, loving me

• I left my game playing but now I want to go use my computer, and (fill in the blank here, this one entry could be an entire list on its own)

• I'm playing a game while running my Minecraft server because I'm not gonna turn it off every time I wanna play a game, and suddenly god knows what is happening on it, but it's making the game I'm playing play like poo poo

• Some window pops up from (x program), either obscuring my screen, knocking me out of full-screen, or both, something I can't fix with the gamepad

• My computer is doing something intensive - virus scan, video rendering, whatever - and I should probably wait until that's done to play a game on it

• My display settings are set to output only to the monitor because (x), so now I have to fix that first

Wait is your complaint that you are actually too stupid to use a PC? Dude if you are actually claiming I HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE SOUND IS TURNED ON or on the other end of the spectrum I AM RUNNING VIDEO RENDERING you might want to hang it up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Winson_Paine posted:

Wait is your complaint that you are actually too stupid to use a PC? Dude if you are actually claiming I HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE SOUND IS TURNED ON or on the other end of the spectrum I AM RUNNING VIDEO RENDERING you might want to hang it up.

Well it worked for the iMac. Having Jeff Goldblum tell you that you only needed a single plug and none of the mumbo jumbo like a seperate tower and monitor certainly sold people.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

XboxPants posted:

I don't believe you. Some of them, sure. But what's the toggle for "make chrome never crash"? If you'd like to give some details, I'll thin down the list and fill things in with specific examples:

• My rear end has gone missing, I can't find it with both hands.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

XboxPants posted:

•Chrome is crashing because (I have a ton of tabs open) and it chose to do so while I'm trying to not lose, and now it's making the game chug up like crazy

Close Chrome before you start playing the game?

Oh no my sound is turned off now I literally have to click twice to turn it back on...

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

XboxPants posted:

But, just for fun, here's a list. Try not to think of them as individual, specific examples, but as events that could stand in for a number of situations. For instance, the Skype one - that doesn't have to be Skype. It could be anything.

I call this list: "Why would I want this experience?"

You can fix about 75% of these problems by holding down the alt key and pressing the tab key.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OUYA: the Atari Lynx of the 2010s

More like the Watara Supervision of the 2010s.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

XboxPants posted:

•I'm playing a game while running my Minecraft server because I'm not gonna turn it off every time I wanna play a game, and someone did something to corrupt the world and crash it and it's making the game I'm playing play like poo poo

•My computer is doing some (video rendering) and I should probably wait until that's done to play a game on it

•This game only goes full screen on the primary screen, which is set as my monitor, so now I have to fix that first
(Or does Big Picture somehow address that particular issue?)

jesus christ

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Winson_Paine posted:

All I said was:

"Occasionally I may leave the sound muted, and that would be annoying if I were trying to do 10-foot gaming without a mouse."

What's wrong with that?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I await the day when Valve releases their Steam console and the startup screen is nothing but Gabe Newell opening up the OUYA taking it's board out, slathering some port wine cheese on it like a classy motherfucker and then eating that poo poo like a cracker.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

I am starting to get genuinely concerned that once you have the Ouya you are going to try to play it by bashing your forehead into it repeatedly.

And initially (read: when I first looked at the kickstarter) I was someone who was trying to get behind this system.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

XboxPants posted:

All I said was:

"Occasionally I may leave the sound muted, and that would be annoying if I were trying to do 10-foot gaming without a mouse."

What's wrong with that?

Wireless mouse?

Every OUYAWHELMING problem you mention could be solved in 5 secs. If having to adjust sound is a barrier to game enjoyment, wouldn't you just end up killing yourself if you ever lost your remote? "Get up and press buttons? gently caress THIS WHERE'S MY KICKSTARTER FOR THOUGHT CONTROLLED VOLUME"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The root of your problems - Most of them anyway - is that you appear to be too lazy to get off the couch to click away a window or close unused programs before playing games.

In my days, we had to get up and blow into the cartridge, then perform an elaborate ritual to get our consoles to start. I have no sympathy for your lazy rear end.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
OOGApants does have a relevant point. In the long gone days of consoles without Internet connection you could switch on your tv, put a dsc in, close the lid and push the power button. They would get a console game running, much easier that a windows 98 PC of the era with lovely performance and endless crashing.

All the items described don't slow my current PC at all. However those items would apply to any OOGA especially with android viruses becoming more common. The OOGA doesn't have the hardware resources to deal with all of those items. That's assuming you can install Skype on it (like the cheaper stickdroids that do the same job as the OOGA).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FrozenVent posted:

In my days, we had to get up and blow into the cartridge, then perform an elaborate ritual to get our consoles to start. I have no sympathy for your lazy rear end.

I too remember the old rituals we used to preform to the console gods. I just wish we knew back then, that offerings of q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol were much more effective at gaining their favor.

However everything in that list to the seasoned PC gamer is not an issue at all. It's like saying that UYA is for people too dependent to live and care for themselves.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 3, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pentyne posted:

Wireless mouse?

Every problem you mention could be solved in 5 secs.

This is absolutely true. But why would I want to solve them, when I could just sidestep them entirely? What is gained?

If there is an easy problem that I may either solve, or avoid entirely, why does it make me stupid to choose to just avoid them?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

The root of your problems - Most of them anyway - is that you appear to be too lazy to get off the couch to click away a window or close unused programs before playing games.

It my day we had to type in the entire code for the game before we could play it, or spend 30 minutes loading it from a tape.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

XboxPants posted:

This is absolutely true. But why would I want to solve them, when I could just sidestep them entirely? What is gained?

If there is an easy problem that I may either solve, or avoid entirely, why does it make me stupid to choose to just avoid them?

Because it cost you 100 dollars and your dignity. OUYA.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Partly because the system is better in ways that mitigate that 5 second inconvenience.

Partly because the SAMMY DAVIS JUNYA will probably have problems of that magnitude, or worse. Especially if you're setting the bar as low as "there's no sound help".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WendigoJohnson posted:

All that poo poo you can either turn off in windows settings or choose to not run at startup. If someone interrupts you with Skype on, just turn it off or better yet uninstall it because jerks should contact you on the Steam client instead of some voice and video program. Nothing is worse than having your game interrupted just so some jerk can tell you about how awesome their lunch was. Asking if they can join a game is another thing, but skype is not for games. :colbert:

"My OUYA cannot use Skype, and I consider this to be a feature"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

It's not that I'm unwilling. I play games like this currently, even. All I'm saying is that it's better to not have to deal with those things. And people genuinely seem to be arguing that it's more fun if you have to deal with additional steps that interrupt the experience.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

XboxPants posted:

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting the "make chrome never crash" button is that little X on all those loving tabs you have open. It sounds like you'll probably have to press it a few times.

ctrl+w also works if your mouse arm is too noodley to drag your hardware across the high-friction surface of a mousepad every time

quote:

I'm gonna show you a picture and it's gonna blow your fuckin' mind, dude:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 3, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

XboxPants posted:

You are paying $100 to save a few seconds before plopping down to play video games for hours.

If you aren't the reincarnation of TobleroneTriangular and this is your purestrain gold then you really should hang yourself if you think every minor inconvenience should be solved by an expensive electronic device.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

XboxPants posted:

If you were interested in avoiding easily avoided problems, I doubt you would be humping the leg of the OUYA nearly this hard dude.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

XboxPants posted:

It's not that I'm unwilling. I play games like this currently, even. All I'm saying is that it's better to not have to deal with those things. And people genuinely seem to be arguing that it's more fun if you have to deal with additional steps that interrupt the experience.

In the time you have spent proving to a dozen strangers that you are a big dumb idiot you could have "solved your problems" a hundred times.

Are you hoping to eventually win one of these arguments, or do you just enjoy the process?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

XboxPants posted:

This is like choosing to go on a blind date with a prostitute when you already have a willing and beautiful wife waiting for you at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

XboxPants posted:

A wireless mouse and an OJEAH both solve yoru problem, but a mouse costs 20$ and your OJEAH costs 100$ and also doesn't exist.

• Locked thread