Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VBane
Oct 31, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

So just today I found out that the female Kraangdroid is voiced by Cassandra Peterson, aka Elvira :psyduck:

Oh Elvira, how you shaped my youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Loved the Ultraman cameo.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dr Tran posted:

Loved the Ultraman cameo.

Oh crap, almost forgot about that part.

Recycle Bin, tell your toku-loving animator/producer/whatever friend to keep it up!

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Carlos Chiang O'Brien Gambe is the best reporter name ever.

I'm really enjoying this show thus far, especially the banter between the turtles, and the humorous exchanges between the Kraang which are humorous, because they are exchanges of words which are stilted and awkward, and therefore humorous.

And, yes, it's controversial, but I always hated the "rat who learned kung fu from his cage; became mutated rat" origin story for Splinter, so I'm glad they've returned to the more poignant and tragic Hamato Yoshi origin story.

Best (and, probably, most controversial) Splinter quote: "Seek victory, not fairness."

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 3, 2013

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I got a good laugh out of Leo doing the Kraangspeak.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

smashpro1 posted:

I got a good laugh out of Leo doing the Kraangspeak.

And then, of course, doing the dorky laugh at how funny he was.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Splinter remains the best character

"I enjoy a good maze"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Splinter really is the best. He's always got one line each show that is just killer. I think my favorite so far is refusing to teach ninjitsu to a dork. I'm not crazy about the big twist, but they've built up enough trust that I think it will be alright.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
"I do not think Krang has found the power cell that powers the portal which is a portal to Dimension X."
"The one called Krang does not think the one called Krang has located the power cell, yet the one called Krang has located it so in your face."
:laffo:

Tartarus Sauce posted:

And, yes, it's controversial, but I always hated the "rat who learned kung fu from his cage; became mutated rat" origin story for Splinter, so I'm glad they've returned to the more poignant and tragic Hamato Yoshi origin story.

Same. I've always preferred Splinter being Hamato Yoshi himself rather than his rat. It makes his story more tragic, and it Splinter and the Shredder a better reason to be enemies.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Splinter really is the best. He's always got one line each show that is just killer. I think my favorite so far is refusing to teach ninjitsu to a dork. I'm not crazy about the big twist, but they've built up enough trust that I think it will be alright.

"I will not train him. He... is a doofus."

The Pulverizer was one of the best episodes so far. Every scene with him flopping around awkwardly like the Star Wars kid is pure gold.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 3, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same. I've always preferred Splinter being Hamato Yoshi himself rather than his rat. It makes his story more tragic, and it Splinter and the Shredder a better reason to be enemies.

Yeah, even as a fan of the original comics first and foremost, it's a better explanation; it's just that the original cartoon didn't do much with it, and it's not like the original comic origins were done knowing the comic would be going on for decades thereafter. There are a lot of interesting possibilities that can come from it.

Even though I love the rat in the cage performing martial arts in the original movie, it's so lovably stupid. :shobon:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, even as a fan of the original comics first and foremost, it's a better explanation; it's just that the original cartoon didn't do much with it, and it's not like the original comic origins were done knowing the comic would be going on for decades thereafter. There are a lot of interesting possibilities that can come from it.

Even though I love the rat in the cage performing martial arts in the original movie, it's so lovably stupid. :shobon:

I'm fairly sure the original cartoon had Splinter sneaking onto the technodrome and fighting shredder in a one on one duel as an homage to the obi-wan darth vader duel in star wars, which was pretty cool (unless i'm misremembering).

This splinter is certainly the best cartoon version of him and I would be tempted to say best version in all media except I really really like the first TMNT movie (Fun fact, splinter is voiced by Kevin Clash in the first two movies, AKA the voice of elmo).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

(Fun fact, splinter is voiced by Kevin Clash in the first two movies, AKA the voice of elmo).

So that's where it started...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Posted about this in the comic games thread, but I think it applies here too since Nick partnered with Activision for the games.

There will be three upcoming TMNT games. The first one comes this summer as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows. It looks like it'll be a downloadable title on PS3 and 360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIjCxilbKU&hd=1

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/activision-and-nickelodeon-team-up-for-3-tmnt-games/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Joystiq posted:

The deal will see Activision publish three games based on the new animated series (pictured), with the first game slated for this summer.
Why does that game look nothing like the series then?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Ouch, that doesn't look great. But at least games are being made, I guess. I was hoping for a Lego TMNT because the recent Lego sets based on this show looked alright.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Neon Knight posted:

Ouch, that doesn't look great. But at least games are being made, I guess. I was hoping for a Lego TMNT because the recent Lego sets based on this show looked alright.

Maybe after they finish up the Lego Marvel game.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Huh.

It looks like they're taking the 2k12 turtles and giving them a grittier, realistic look, rather than creating their own interpretation from scratch. That dojo is clearly our dojo; You can see the tree in the back. You can also see our Splinter chilling back there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I find myself wishing that the rumor of Rocksteady doing a TMNT game was true.

Activision's business model of "1. Push out an okay-to-mediocre game. 2. ??? 3. Profit! 4. Do it again until we run the series into the ground!" just isn't something the 2012 TMNT show deserves.

I hate how they've pushed Spider-Man into the ground and dumbed it down with each game and then we have the travesty that was X-Men Destiny.

The game could be good, but I really wish it was with another publisher. At least it's only three games.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Recycle Bin posted:

Huh.

It looks like they're taking the 2k12 turtles and giving them a grittier, realistic look, rather than creating their own interpretation from scratch. That dojo is clearly our dojo; You can see the tree in the back. You can also see our Splinter chilling back there.

Yeah, that's kind of odd. It's like a mix of this series the the first movie. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a good multiplayer beat-em-up/brawler like Mutant Nightmare.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The fight engine seems to have an arkham asylum/city vibe to it hopefully it is as a turtles game with that combat system would be cool.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Now why didn't they call the game "TMNT: Out of their Shells"?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Will it have a dam level?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Heads up there was a new episode. Only found out as I was browsing another board.

It didn't move any of the ongoing plots, had a lot of toyeticness with the van (had several new gimmicks) and the mutant of the week, takes extreme liberties with what mutagen can do, and Splinter wasn't in it. It was still as incredibly fun as the show has always been, and the mutant is grosser and almost as horrifying as Snakeweed.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Heads up there was a new episode. Only found out as I was browsing another board.

It didn't move any of the ongoing plots, had a lot of toyeticness with the van (had several new gimmicks) and the mutant of the week, takes extreme liberties with what mutagen can do, and Splinter wasn't in it. It was still as incredibly fun as the show has always been, and the mutant is grosser and almost as horrifying as Snakeweed.

How the gently caress did they power the shellraiser after the powercell was stolen and never recovered? Or was it recovered when they infiltrated TCRI? Outside of that, the episode was awesome and Raph having a fear of cockroaches while living in a sewer is almost as hilariously stupid as Michelangelo not knowing where raw sewage comes from. Overall it wasn't bad and had some great moments like Mikey's bug spray and the reveal as to just why the roach was hunting Raph.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The mutagen integrating the machinery wasn't that bad. It's way better than the magic "makes every machine better" computer chip.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm sure I'm gonna have nightmares about that roach.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I just felt really sorry for the roach. It was mutated largely by the turtles screwing around, and then as soon as they first saw it, they attack it without much prompting. But it's their fault in the first place!

This episode was heavy on the not-sense-making even for a Turtles cartoon, from the mutating technology to the laser drill (100 feet to the core ha ha really), but the fight scenes and gags were solid as always. I liked both the roach designs, and I wouldn't mind seeing his gross butt again because the Turtles deserve his gooey vengeance. :mad:

Also holy poo poo it's Dr. Tran but I'm sure you get that a lot.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I thought Don would have at least tried to talk to his roach friend.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

I thought Don would have at least tried to talk to his roach friend.

Mikey didn't even give it a name, I mean, Verminator seems like a gimme, he just let us down this time around. Maybe that was copyrighted? Cockrobot? Okay, no, that's horrible. Apparently its unofficial name may be Chong?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is Roboroach too obvious and boring?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO7GAZcAZuA

IGN did another video on the new TMNT video game.

Apparently, the game will be 100% downloadable so no physical copies. It uses the new Nick TMNT license so the world is the one from the new show but they wanted to appeal to the older TMNT fans by changing the style.

According to IGN, Leo is more well-rounded, Raph is up close and personal, Donny is slower than others but has range, and Mikey is the weakest but is faster. I don't really understand why Mikey has to always be the weakest considering he's hinted at being the strongest in pretty much every media of the Turtles except the video games.

Still, this game doesn't look too promising to me. I'm not a fan of the redone style just to appeal to older fans but trying to appease Nick by using the license anyway. It feels like they're trying to appeal to everyone here which never works.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
That's funny, because I think the older fans are the ones who hate the new game designs the most. Trying to appeal to that mysterious "Everyone McThrowsmoneyatus" appeals to no one.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Why not just have skins for each generation of turtle..

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

How Ingratiating! posted:

That's funny, because I think the older fans are the ones who hate the new game designs the most. Trying to appeal to that mysterious "Everyone McThrowsmoneyatus" appeals to no one.

Exactly. I actually really like the new TMNT style and from what little I saw of the style they are using in this game I think it's pretty bad. Which is ironic, since apparently the new style they are going for in the game was aimed at my demographic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PureRok posted:

Exactly. I actually really like the new TMNT style and from what little I saw of the style they are using in this game I think it's pretty bad. Which is ironic, since apparently the new style they are going for in the game was aimed at my demographic.

Yeah, I'm an older fan and... I can't recall the turtles ever really looking like that in any major series? I love the new designs, and I'd much rather see those.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

ThermoPhysical posted:

According to IGN, Leo is more well-rounded, Raph is up close and personal, Donny is slower than others but has range, and Mikey is the weakest but is faster. I don't really understand why Mikey has to always be the weakest considering he's hinted at being the strongest in pretty much every media of the Turtles except the video games.

Isn't Mikey basically the embodiment of "very high raw natural talent, very low application/lazy". Basically that kid who is a genius but doesn't apply himself as much...but for, you know, ninja stuff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

Isn't Mikey basically the embodiment of "very high raw natural talent, very low application/lazy". Basically that kid who is a genius but doesn't apply himself as much...but for, you know, ninja stuff.

I always felt the "highest talent" part was... mostly a creation of the RPG. Has it really ever come up in anything else? Don't get me wrong, Mikey's my favorite, but I can't think of anything else in which that was a core trait of his.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I always felt the "highest talent" part was... mostly a creation of the RPG. Has it really ever come up in anything else? Don't get me wrong, Mikey's my favorite, but I can't think of anything else in which that was a core trait of his.

I don't mean overtly "the best", I just mean as a general character trait. Scenes like the one where Mikey dodges Splinter's attacks without thinking in that episode a while back. That kind of thing.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think Splinter mentioned it a few episodes ago, actually. He didn't say Mikey was the stongest, but he said that he had really good instincts and didn't think when fighting, which made him better. This was when we met the monkey and the telekinetic (later Rat King) guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was a turtles rpg???

• Locked thread