Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

ToxicFrog posted:

This. This is what I love about what, for lack of a better term, I will call "pre-Half-Life level design". This is what made Thief, System Shock, Deus Ex, Pathways into Darkness, and Marathon amazing for me. Levels that are spaces you can explore rather than just a linear sequence of encounters.

Corridor shooters can be fun too, but what I really, really like is exploration.

Along those lines, I've long considered Looking Glass Studios to be the masters of that sort of level design, and I've been working on a tool to generate nice HTML5 maps of System Shock levels. It still needs a lot of work - the layer toggles don't do anything yet, for example, and slope-implied walls aren't drawn yet - but you can still get a good view of most of the levels.

Deck 1: Medical is actually one of the most linear maps in the game; there's a fairly unambiguous "intended path" through the level. At the same time, there's a lot of side branches, shortcuts to unlock that make the level more interconnected (and some that you can use without unlocking from the "far side" first), and glimpses of goodies that you won't be able to get until you circle back around with more keycards, access codes, or lowered level security.

On the flip side, you have Deck 7: Ops, which gives you a bunch of objectives to accomplish and lets you explore the map in pretty much any order you want.

I think System Shock is pretty much the pinnacle of this style of level design, although one could plausibly argue the Thief games instead.

Half-Life 1 and 2.
Whoa now, while I agree that System Shock's level design is incredible, let's make once thing clear. The way you explore a System Shock level is not even remotely the same as the way you do in games with what I would call "pre Half-Life" level design like Doom, Quake, Marathon and so on. The former has a relatively logical layout and provides you with clues like signs on the walls and hints in the dialogue which you can use to explore the world intelligently, rather than just blindly stumbling through it like you do in the arbitrary mazes of the latter.

The Looking Glass style of level design is a unique evolutionary offshoot (stemming from Ultima Underworld I think) and something to be cherished. The keycard hunts of yore, on the other hand are gone for a reason as far as I'm concerned.

Lork fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lork posted:

Whoa now, while I agree that System Shock's level design is incredible, let's make once thing clear. The way you explore a System Shock level is not even remotely the same as the way you do in games with what I would call "pre Half-Life" level design like Doom, Quake, Marathon and so on. The former has a relatively logical layout and provides you with clues like signs on the walls and hints in the dialogue which you can use to explore the world intelligently, rather than just blindly stumbling through it like you do in the arbitrary mazes of the latter.

The Looking Glass style of level design is a unique evolutionary offshoot (stemming from Ultima Underworld I think) and something to be cherished. The keycard hunts of yore, on the other hand are gone for a reason as far as I'm concerned

Marathon is actually really good - in most cases, anyways - about giving you guidance with the terminals, even if the levels themselves aren't as detailed as UUW's or SS1's. Pathways into Darkness clues the poo poo out of things. And Quake 2 had briefings that, while not as good as Marathon's (some of which even had annotated maps), did give you some guidance. None of these are on the same level as LGS's work, but it's far cry from "blindly stumbling through arbitrary mazes".

I also missed most of the "classic" FPSes of the 90s; I didn't play any of the Doom or Build engine games or Quake 1 until 2004 or so, and they didn't leave that great an impression on me when I did.

That said, I think there may also be some difference in taste here; I genuinely enjoy Descent.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Very little of Doom's design or the resulting PWADs strikes me as mazey or confusing, but I am deep enough into the Doom paradigm that I'm hardly unbiased. I don't know what makes the style so hard to navigate for the people who say it is because I rarely if ever think about it and think complaints are greatly exagerrated. I love it, though, so don't take my silly keys and switches away.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

horse mans posted:

I love remakes of the classic levels. Report back!

It has... heart. I'll give it that. It's a remake with heart.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
All of this talk about level design and automaps reminds me that some mappers perform the devious trick of preventing certain areas of the map from being drawn, even when discovered. I've been ranting about Cheogsh lately, but I just realized that this WAD does it as well: There is at least one very dark labyrinth that is invisible on the automap, significantly increasing its difficulty.

I don't mind, though. I just use buckshot to light my way. :clint:

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
There's a maze in Chex Quest that did that. Now that I think about it, Chex Quest pulled a lot of dirty tricks for a kid's game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

This talk about huge Doom maps made me play ZDCMP2 again. I know I've talked a fair bit about this map by now (it's become one of my all-time favorite Doom wads), but the music is an underrated component. It's loving amazing, particularly the first tune, but it's absolutely great all the way through. It's too bad the music isn't apparently on Youtube because I would listen to it all day.

You can always extract it from the zip.

Or you can get the original MIDI version from the author's site here (it's "2012 ZDCMP2 Remix", unsurprisingly).

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

All of this talk about level design and automaps reminds me that some mappers perform the devious trick of preventing certain areas of the map from being drawn, even when discovered. I've been ranting about Cheogsh lately, but I just realized that this WAD does it as well: There is at least one very dark labyrinth that is invisible on the automap, significantly increasing its difficulty.

I don't mind, though. I just use buckshot to light my way. :clint:

"Might makes light! And I feel mighty!"

The good thing about the textured automap is that you'll still see the sectors even when they hide the linedefs. :)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 3, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It has... heart. I'll give it that. It's a remake with heart.
I just played it a little bit (for some reason 3D floors lag atrociously for me in GZdoom)and that about sums up my view as well.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Does anyone know why Heretic 2 was made as a 3rd person shooter platformy kind of game? I know it wasn't made by id, but seriously - why take a turn like that?

I still found Heretic 2 kind of enjoyable, but I really hoped for a game much like the original.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Angelwolf posted:

Does anyone know why Heretic 2 was made as a 3rd person shooter platformy kind of game? I know it wasn't made by id, but seriously - why take a turn like that?

I still found Heretic 2 kind of enjoyable, but I really hoped for a game much like the original.

Raven soft is (was) a more experimental version of Id they made some top down shooters and a first person car shooter aswell.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 3, 2013

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Here's a Doom community megawad that flew under the radar a bit that some of you might like, Hadephobia. The gimmick behind this wad is that every map needed to lead on from the previous and come with a story that overall made one big story tying all of the levels together, try to give the levels some continuity instead of just a grab bag of levels. The levels also needed to have for the most part a continual difficulty progression and not have the balance be completely ruined by carrying weapons and ammo between levels (but pistol starting still works).

The usual warning of community wads having quality all over the place applies here. I actually contributed to this wad but they were some of the first levels I ever made and looking back you might find some of them a bit poo poo-tastic so... uh.. sorry about that (the wad was "in development" for over 2 years and most of my levels were made way back then, although large chinks of that 2 years involved the wad going nowhere, as is the curse of internet community projects).

It should work perfectly fine in ZDoom although apparently level 25's music doesn't work under some sound fonts? Works for me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like Brutalized Doom has updated again.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32929&sid=be5bfcdc9ad20a39d462098469a11f8e
For those who haven't tried it before, it's the classic Doom/Doom 2 campaigns remixed with more enemies and traps to gel better with the more aggressive kill-speed of Brutal Doom. The upper difficulty settings are specifically intended for co-op. Quite a few new rooms and additional monster waves, too, especially in earlier, shorter levels.

It's a universal WAD, so it contains replacements for all the Doom and Doom 2 levels. Best used in conjunction with the official Brutal Doom metal soundtrack: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads/doom-metal-soundtrack-mod-volume-3

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 3, 2013

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Anyone know any good megawads for Heretic? I've been getting a little tired of Doom, Brutal Doom too, and it's been a few years since I played Heretic.

I'm playing through this weird thing right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmTelmM3dZc

and it's kind of fun for the novelty, but I'd definitely prefer a real Heretic megawad!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus christ Scythe MAP11 is impossible on UV :stonk:

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's relatively straight forward. What's giving you trouble with it?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Korendian Leader posted:

It's relatively straight forward. What's giving you trouble with it?

It's not even the design of it that's giving me trouble, it's the fact that it forces a pistol start for whatever godforsaken loving reason and then throws quite a number of enemies at you. Most of which are really drat difficult to kill with the pistol or berserk fists, meaning you have to basically run like hell to the shotgun before you can make any progress whatsoever and hope none of them obliterate you on the way.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

WickedIcon posted:

It's not even the design of it that's giving me trouble, it's the fact that it forces a pistol start for whatever godforsaken loving reason and then throws quite a number of enemies at you. Most of which are really drat difficult to kill with the pistol or berserk fists, meaning you have to basically run like hell to the shotgun before you can make any progress whatsoever and hope none of them obliterate you on the way.
There are only two zombiemen blocking the route to the shotgun. The green armor is also right under it and that should massively increase your survivability. You can snipe the imps at the top of the platform without having to worry about being flanked and straferun over to the megasphere too.

Berserking imps and demons isn't too bad once you know how. Demons and Specres can't actually hurt you as long as you keep walking back and forth while attacking.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WickedIcon posted:

Jesus christ Scythe MAP11 is impossible on UV :stonk:

Nah, you're silly. If you're playing Scythe on its own, the key is to immediately nab the berserk pack and make full use of it by liquidating lesser enemies as quickly as possible (zombies, imps, and maybe demons). As you run around, try to encourage some in-fighting from the cacodemons and revenants. Move in the general direction of the green armor and shotgun so that, by the time the berserk wears off, you've got some better firepower than your lowly pistol.

This short video gives a pretty concise idea of the objective the moment you spawn.

It's definitely a tougher start for an episode, though, since it doesn't follow the whole enemy-escalation of "zombies > imps > demons > medium-tier enemies" like a lot of other WADs. You're pretty much in the thick of it the minute the map begins.

Curiously, this is one of the maps that actually seems to be easier on the equivalent difficulty in Brutal Doom, since your "pistol" is a lot more competent and the berserk pack enables you to take zombie/imp shields.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nah, you're silly. If you're playing Scythe on its own, the key is to immediately nab the berserk pack and make full use of it by liquidating lesser enemies as quickly as possible (zombies, imps, and maybe demons). As you run around, try to encourage some in-fighting from the cacodemons and revenants. Move in the general direction of the green armor and shotgun so that, by the time the berserk wears off, you've got some better firepower than your lowly pistol.

This is good advice on the whole, but I'd like to let you know that Berserk doesn't expire over time, it burns off only when you leave the level.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

This is good advice on the whole, but I'd like to let you know that Berserk doesn't expire over time, it burns off only when you leave the level.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It was actually only recently that I found out it lasted the entire level. I keep thinking that, when the red filter goes away, the berserk wears off.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It was actually only recently that I found out it lasted the entire level. I keep thinking that, when the red filter goes away, the berserk wears off.
I figured this at first too. Then, after the effect wore off, I went and punched a zombieman. :aaa:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Evan Montegarde posted:

Anyone know any good megawads for Heretic? I've been getting a little tired of Doom, Brutal Doom too, and it's been a few years since I played Heretic
Oof. A megawad for Heretic, much less a good one, is a rarity. All the not Doom games have a severe lack of content.

That being said, if you stretch your definition of megawad a bit, there some good stuff to be found. Curse of D'Sparil I hear is a very good mapset, and Something of the Apostate is a levelset I have very good memories of. Outside of the ammo management difficulties, that is.

If you want a full, complete, every level replaced megawad, though, the only not terrible option is the Heretic Treasure Chest. And even then, it has some real nasty stinkers...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Masters of Chaos is a good Heretic one. Won a Cacoward, even.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16817

It's not a pure level pack - each episode has a couple unique enemies and weapons - but it's good stuff for the most part.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oh, right, Masters of Chaos and Hordes of Chaos! Fuuuuuuck, I can't believe I forgot about them.
Crossover wads like that and Armageddon (not a Heretic wad) are often super stupid giddy fun.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Flannelette posted:

Raven soft is (was) a more experimental version of Id they made some top down shooters and a first person car shooter aswell.

Ouch man :(

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Yeah, not really mate. That's a good route to take if you want to go fast but it's a lot harder than simply walking straight to the shotgun and armor. Survivability first, then speed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh, right, Masters of Chaos and Hordes of Chaos! Fuuuuuuck, I can't believe I forgot about them.
This is a good list:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Category:Heretic_mods

Of course it doesn't include the Heretic Treasure Chest or Curse of D'Sparil since those are not "created for ZDoom".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Korendian Leader posted:

Yeah, not really mate. That's a good route to take if you want to go fast but it's a lot harder than simply walking straight to the shotgun and armor. Survivability first, then speed.

Maybe you just suck at the level? :c00lbert: Fast is survival.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Fast is survival.

Guess we have our next thread name.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Which is one of the things I love about Painkiller echoing older shooters. Also I love how fragile the WW1 zombies are and that they throw 50-60 of them at you at a time.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The context of this conversation is trying to help a person who has called the map 'impossible' on uv and finds the number of enemies to be overwhelming. We can safely assume they aren't very good at the game and should probably keep that in mind when offering them advice. Telling them the best way to beat the map is to dodge through a congested area isn't that smart.

Personally, i'm quite good at doom and don't have trouble with scythe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I haven't done Scythe in a while, so I fired up Map11 to see what everyone was talking about.

I got trapped in the red key room :saddowns:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It is possible to sequence break through map 11. You can strafe-jump from the shotgun ledge to the Supercharge, and then from there you can strafe-jump into the red key room. Then you use the secret door from the red key room that is the intended path to the Supercharge, and from there you can just walk over to the exit. You can skip that entire blue key clusterfuck entirely.

(Edit: I mean strafe-running off the ledges; no actual jumping is involved.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RyokoTK posted:

It is possible to sequence break through map 11. You can strafe-jump from the shotgun ledge to the Supercharge, and then from there you can strafe-jump into the red key room. Then you use the secret door from the red key room that is the intended path to the Supercharge, and from there you can just walk over to the exit. You can skip that entire blue key clusterfuck entirely.

I did that, I just couldn't figure out how the hell to get out of the red key room again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I did that, I just couldn't figure out how the hell to get out of the red key room again.

One of the bodies on the wall can be tabbed to open a secret door back out. Come on, how long have you played Doom for? When stuck, hump every wall until something happens.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Okay, finally caught up with this thread. I didn't see this mentioned at all (I may have missed it) but have you guys seen GUN GODZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7JNczDp3UM

I know it's not an early FPS, but it looks like it plays like a mix between wolf 3D and Doom. Unfortunately it was only a giveaway for some kickstarter project and you can't purchase it (unless I'm mistaken), and it's only for PC. I really hope they bring it to iOS as I felt Wolf 3D played fantastic on the touchscreen.

Is there any way at all to get Doom64 EX running on a Mac? It doesn't seem like it, but on the off chance there is I figure I'd ask.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't know if there are binary builds available somewhere; but it is (or rather, should be) a cross-platform program so in the worst case you can try compiling it yourself. Which won't be easy unless you have any experience doing this kind of stuff, since the "building on Mac OS X" article on the wiki is redlinked, so you'll be on your own to figure it out.

Hmm, this isn't looking promising.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cheesegod posted:

Okay, finally caught up with this thread. I didn't see this mentioned at all (I may have missed it) but have you guys seen GUN GODZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7JNczDp3UM

I know it's not an early FPS, but it looks like it plays like a mix between wolf 3D and Doom. Unfortunately it was only a giveaway for some kickstarter project and you can't purchase it (unless I'm mistaken), and it's only for PC. I really hope they bring it to iOS as I felt Wolf 3D played fantastic on the touchscreen.

Is there any way at all to get Doom64 EX running on a Mac? It doesn't seem like it, but on the off chance there is I figure I'd ask.

I'd heard of it via a Gamasutra article and I really wanted to play it. It's kind of bullshit that only backers ever get to play it.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Dominic White posted:

Masters of Chaos is a good Heretic one. Won a Cacoward, even.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16817

It's not a pure level pack - each episode has a couple unique enemies and weapons - but it's good stuff for the most part.

MoC has its good points. Just

1) play it straight through, "wand start" balance is awful
2) some of the new monsters are horrible, nightmares suck hard if you're not packing gauntlets and the invisible warriors are the worst.

I liked the new weapons except for the ember wand, which was underwhelming. The toned emerald wand is boss, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
So here's something I haven't seen discussed in the thread. Be nice to finally add it to the Steam library legitimately, especially if the Duke+ mode makes co-op/Dukematches easy again. We've known about Duke3D coming to Steam for a while now but this is the first I've seen or heard about Shadow Warrior 'Complete' but I guess if it makes sense to do all that work on one Build game, might as well do another.