Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fluo posted:

David Cameron really is so out of touch isn't he? :suicide:

Telegraph:

Cameron isn't as out of touch as this cartoonist, who has only a passing acquaintance with reality. The reason bankers get most of their money as non-performance related bonuses is because tax on bonuses is easier to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Repin does someone more knowledgeable than me know if Bell has ever done a take on Ivan the Terrible And His Son Ivan?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

vodkat posted:

Loving the reference here to this painting called "The Volga Barge-Haulers" who were employed basically as slaves because it was cheaper than upgrading to steam engines. Apparently it was one of Stalin's favorite paintings :goonsay:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This can't be posted without this also happening in the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD0WVL-HjE

Cameron's quote goes down even a further two levels of complexity.

This is the same song sung by Paul Robeson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfsWoNpHg2s

Why is this notable? Because he also sang this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3OjHIhLCDs

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Flython posted:

Speaking of Repin does someone more knowledgeable than me know if Bell has ever done a take on Ivan the Terrible And His Son Ivan?

A cursory Google brings up this, although no "Apologies to..." line:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

A cursory Google brings up this, although no "Apologies to..." line:

I do remember there being one but it was Blair era. Can't seem to find it. :smith:

So have a photo of Steve Bell taken in 1981.

And a Bush (jr) era art parody.

James Gillray - Plum Pudding
Click for full article.

quote:

Cartoonist who made all the prints unfit for news
James Gillray's cartoons were not in newspapers, but they are still sought after, says Donald Macgillivray
THEY look absolutely ravenous, hunched forward at the dinner table with eyes blazing as they greedily tuck into their meal.

Plum piece: Gillray's plum-pudding work.
James Gillray's caricature, dated February 26, 1805, shows British Prime Minister William Pitt and French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte sitting across from each other with swords and forks drawn, carving up the world as it sits on a platter, in the form of a plum pudding. Both men are gaily dressed, with Pitt improbably thin and Napoleon reasonably tiny. The caption reads: "The great globe itself . . . is too small to satisfy such insatiable appetites."

Gillray was Britain's leading cartoonist of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. His frequently fierce and unkind depictions of the royal family and prominent politicians of the day were brilliantly etched with an acid wit. Much like today's political cartoonists, he portrayed topical figures and events with a cynical eye. But, unlike the modern heirs to his craft, he was unable to publish his work in newspapers.
[...]

Fluo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 2, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jedit posted:

Cameron isn't as out of touch as this cartoonist, who has only a passing acquaintance with reality. The reason bankers get most of their money as non-performance related bonuses is because tax on bonuses is easier to avoid.

If such bonuses were limited, do you think Bankers would just leave the money on the table? I guess the point of the cartoon is kill all bankers.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

happyhippy posted:

No, Mr. Hoppy was the real star of Monkey Dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHvjOpRTZY

"I only said that I did as they promised back my fingernails if I did"

This thread made me go on a Monkey Dust binge last night. Almost forgot how good it was.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Some Tories are talking of a leadership contest after the party's poor performance in the Eastleigh byelection.

Ukip bludgeons Tories into third place.

Stephen Collins! :syoon:

Telegraph:

Indy:

It's a parody of William R. Symonds' - The Princess and the Frog.

Nigel Farage is such a toad.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 3, 2013

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Can someone remind me who the guy with his head up his rear end in Rowson's cartoons represents, I constantly forget. TIA!

I don't think so, the Chancellor (Finance Minister) is George Osborne who is the dude with his face on the ground on this latest one.
vvv

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 3, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Finance Minister or whatever thats called in the UK.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Can someone remind me who the guy with his head up his rear end in Rawson's cartoons represents, I constantly forget. TIA!

Cliff Racer posted:

Finance Minister or whatever thats called in the UK.
'George' Gideon Oliver Osborne, Chancellor of the Exchequer. I assume the vultures represent the downgrade of Britain's credit rating, but it doesn't seem to be an actual representation (shouldn't the second be smaller than the first?) if that were the case.

Edit: Hrm. If it's not Osborne I have no idea who it's meant to be. Oh, if only he (over)used labels!

Stephen Collins is amazing and I can't believe I had never heard of him before this thread.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 3, 2013

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The guy in a pinstriped suit with his head up his arse (sometimes with his mates) has been a recurring element recently. I think he's supposed to be a backbencher or a party member or some other representative of the nasty side of the party.

And here's George in the background, doing something with them. Offering a sacrifical chicken but getting hit in the face with a snowball?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah you're right, Gideon wears the same suit but doesn't generally stick his head up his rear end or have blue cuffs.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Trin Tragula posted:

And here's George in the background, doing something with them. Offering a sacrifical chicken but getting hit in the face with a snowball?

I think that's the Growth Sloth hanging off his arm, he's just flailing around as he's hit with the snowball so it's gone up a bit.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've always taken the big fur cup as "gently caress up", but am I incorrect? I figure it's as simple as that but seeing how many symbols and layers Rawson puts in his work it got me thinking maybe I'm incorrect.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Wow, I only just noticed the black dog is... err... a black dog reference. By that I mean how Churchill described his depression looming over him. And he is in one of the pictures on the desk. :downs:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've always taken the big fur cup as "gently caress up", but am I incorrect? I figure it's as simple as that but seeing how many symbols and layers Rawson puts in his work it got me thinking maybe I'm incorrect.

I was wondering where it started (I guess 'storm in a fur cup' answers that one!) but it ain't without precedent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeoeIPG_YrY&t=1416s

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah. I think it stems from this once back in July:

Fake edit: or this one, a few days earlier.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Haha great. Thanks!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Oh god the puns, they're fantastic :aaa:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Been out the loop of the news this weekend. So Tories trying to get rid of Human Rights act, 10th anniversary of Iraq war and Nigel Farage is being smug to Cameron? I don't know.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 4, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress Farage is terrifying

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Holy gently caress Farage is terrifying

I don't know what....

AHHHHH my eyes, they burn, they burn! :psypop:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Farage should never be given the opportunity to smile about anything. :colbert:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

This is a reference to Laocoön and his Sons. Laocoön was a priest who warned against accepting the Trojan horse from the Greeks ("I fear Greeks, even when they bring gifts.") and was eventually strangled by sea serpents for offending some god or other.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Scarfe of the week

drifting off into the mint green yonder.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

big scary monsters posted:

This is a reference to Laocoön and his Sons. Laocoön was a priest who warned against accepting the Trojan horse from the Greeks ("I fear Greeks, even when they bring gifts.") and was eventually strangled by sea serpents for offending some god or other.

He was also clearly a steroid abuser, as he's ripped but has a tiny cock.

Yes I know this was the style in classical sculpture

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Have I missed one of the cartoons somewhere? Rowson keeps drawing what looks like the bloody, detached face of Osborne on the ground of the desert. Did something trigger this? Is it some pun like the fur cup which I am completely missing? Saving face? That doesn't work...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Grauniad:

Britain downgraded from AAA rating, economy still poo poo.

I think this is the one it first appeared in.

edit - I thought it was some sort of "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Heavy_D posted:

Have I missed one of the cartoons somewhere? Rowson keeps drawing what looks like the bloody, detached face of Osborne on the ground of the desert. Did something trigger this? Is it some pun like the fur cup which I am completely missing? Saving face? That doesn't work...

Osborne has lost face. It's that simple.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jedit posted:

Osborne has lost face. It's that simple.

Or he put so much stock in 'saving face' that it's all that's left of him in recent cartoons. That's the great thing, his devices work on so many levels they can be used in all kinds of situations!

What's the deal with his bent fingers though? Is it an actual physical characteristic (like the Blair eye thing) or is it another metaphor?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I think that's him crossing his fingers, implying that even he doesn't believe it any more and has chosen to lie. Thanks for tracking down the cartoon!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

The government is examining ways to remove incentives for eastern Europeans to come to Britain when EU restrictions are lifted.

Telegraph:

Daily Mail:

The Queen has left hospital after treatment for Gastro enteritis.

quote:

“Listen….The National Anthem. She must be leaving!......EVERYBODY UP!”

Daily Express:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 5, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy poo poo that is a sinister loving owl

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Holy poo poo that is a sinister loving owl

Must be Romanian or Bulgarian.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Labelled Daily Express Daily Mail by mistake because I keep forgetting there is cartoons just as right wing as Mac. :suicide:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is it just me or has Mac been acceptably good these past few days?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

He's no Collins, but he's a passable funny picture man when the joke isn't bigotry.

Unfortunately...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Is it just me, or does the bottom of his new face look a bit like John the Monkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

Even for the Express, this is terrible. There's not even any attempt at a joke here, it's literally just saying "immigrants are violent."

• Locked thread