Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Ahhh, right, then I'll try it the next time. I'm just really not fond of the fish taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sociopastry posted:

Ahhh, right, then I'll try it the next time. I'm just really not fond of the fish taste.

It does not even make a fish taste. Just a sort of mellow savory delicious note.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anchovies in pasta sauce is like an injection of umami, it's really great.

And yeah it doesn't taste like fish unless you put in a whole bunch. It's like salt, but with more depth to it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Rad! I'll go get some at the store tomorrow. Thanks, dudes!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I put fish sauce in literally everything. I think 89/100 salad dressings I've ever made have contained fish sauce. I add fish sauce to all the stocks that I make. tomato sauce is literally not even tomato sauce without fish sauce in it. I abstain from adding fish sauce to pesto.......... because I add half a can of anchovies to my pesto. thai curry? fish sauce. jerk chicken marinade? fish sauce. mac and cheese? a splash of fish sauce would really work nicely in the sauce there. making hamburgers? yeah add some powdered garlic - and also a tablespoon of FISH SAUCE

SON I LOVE FISH SAUCE

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sociopastry posted:

get this kind if it's in your store. the kind matters.

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Lion-Vietnamese-Style-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU56

lol I can't believe that's $15 on amazon.(It should be like 3-4$)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

:psyduck: I... What? How? Why? :catstare:

On a less mindfucky note- I just made my very own tomato sauce for dinner from scratch tonight! It tastes loving amazing, but I think next time it probably needs a bit of salt or something in there. Maybe some chicken stock?

A few grains of cinnamon. Literally grains, way less than you can taste directly. It does wonders.

e: three crabs brand or gtfo

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Sjurygg posted:

So I'm eating gochujang on toast now and I'm wondering if this is what rock bottom feels like yet.

Bottom is defrosting bread in a dryer.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

mindphlux posted:

SON I LOVE FISH SAUCE

All day every day.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sociopastry posted:

Try anchovies before you try fish sauce. While fish sauce doesn't taste fishy, it does have a smell you'll want to get used to.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Look what bears sent me in the post.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I made a couple of cakes.

How do I transport them to the office? I take the train, FYI.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

dino. posted:

Look what bears sent me in the post.

I hope he saved a few bucks by picking out the factory defect items with backward text.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I put fish sauce in literally everything. I think 89/100 salad dressings I've ever made have contained fish sauce. I add fish sauce to all the stocks that I make. tomato sauce is literally not even tomato sauce without fish sauce in it. I abstain from adding fish sauce to pesto.......... because I add half a can of anchovies to my pesto. thai curry? fish sauce. jerk chicken marinade? fish sauce. mac and cheese? a splash of fish sauce would really work nicely in the sauce there. making hamburgers? yeah add some powdered garlic - and also a tablespoon of FISH SAUCE

SON I LOVE FISH SAUCE

Same.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Big family supper at our place tonight. Kimchi & champagne :kimchi:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Skrill.exe posted:

I hope he saved a few bucks by picking out the factory defect items with backward text.

Hahahaa. Stupid backwards photobooth.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
http://youtu.be/FGbrZcgGMf0

Oh my god I want to eat that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

I made a couple of cakes.

How do I transport them to the office? I take the train, FYI.

A cake dome would be the ideal option probably, but I guess if you need to transport more than 1 it might be a bit cumbersome. If you have 2 of the domes you could put them in a box (one on top of the other) and that would be easier to haul around. A box like bakeries put cakes in might work too and have more stackability, but I don't know where you'd get one or if they'd be tough enough to stack. You might be able to use some of those disposable roasting pan type things from the grocery, you could stack those pretty easily. Are they more than 1 layer? I've been using my giant steaming pot to transport food recently, and I was able to invert the steaming grate and fit an un-iced cake underneath the grate. I could fit 2 in that thing easily, but only if they were 1 layer. I can't think of anything exceedingly clever to transport 2 cakes though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

http://youtu.be/FGbrZcgGMf0

Oh my god I want to eat that.

It's like a meatship only with fruit :allears:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

I put fish sauce in literally everything.

89/100 salad dressings I've ever made have contained fish sauce.

I abstain from adding fish sauce to pesto

Oh, mindphlux.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
He means literally in the Joe Biden sense.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I literally can't speak English

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:hellyeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzUm7UEEIY

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

I only don't regret watching that because the related videos tab linked me to this amazing one on frozen pizzas I hadn't seen before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJRFyhMHP0

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

I can't help but say, "pewpewpewpewpewpew!!!" when they fly out at 2:12.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The metaphorical hyperbolic use of "literally" as in "this is to be taken in the strongest admissible sense" has literally been around since 1680. Let it go.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

mindphlux posted:

get this kind if it's in your store. the kind matters.

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Lion-Vietnamese-Style-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU56

lol I can't believe that's $15 on amazon.(It should be like 3-4$)

It says the shipping weight is 14 pounds so it's probably like a case of fish sauce.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Wanting to cook something this week but don't want to store the left overs (often don't have the opportunity to eat them). If it's something particularly unique/different and good I was thinking of stopping by (off/slow hours, surely) or dropping some off at a few of my favorite and regular places. Mainly for validation.

Not a bad idea?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Randomity posted:

It says the shipping weight is 14 pounds so it's probably like a case of fish sauce.

:colbert: It's not like it will go bad before you use it all.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wanting to cook something this week but don't want to store the left overs (often don't have the opportunity to eat them). If it's something particularly unique/different and good I was thinking of stopping by (off/slow hours, surely) or dropping some off at a few of my favorite and regular places. Mainly for validation.

Not a bad idea?

Invite people you like to your house and cook for them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Sociopastry posted:

I hardly use fish sauce except for thai cooking, very strong smell to fish sauce, but I found it goes great with anything to do with limes.
But you could use Worcestershire sauce like I do for most beef/tomato dishes, as that has anchovies in it too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Gonna make poutine tonight. Gonna put fish sauce in the gravy.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gonna make poutine tonight. Gonna put fish sauce in the gravy.

Where the hell did you find cheese curds?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Totally Reasonable posted:

This is Wiggles. He probably raised the cow, got the milk, and made his own damned curds. I think he lives in the woods or something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

^^^^^^^^^^
I don't have any cows right now, unfortunately. And I'm slaughtering my last milk goat this week so that we can re-make our enclosures in preperation for the new pigs.

Totally Reasonable posted:

Sometimes you have to improvise. To me, it's less important to have actual curds on poutine than it is to have some sort of tasty cheese with french fries and gravy.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 6, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The metaphorical hyperbolic use of "literally" as in "this is to be taken in the strongest admissible sense" has literally been around since 1680. Let it go.
I also think that Seventeenth Century conversational sensibilities ought to be taken as normative and anyone who feels otherwise is a dandyprat grumbletonian who can go suck cackling farts.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

^^^^^^^^^^
I don't have any cows right now, unfortunately. And I'm slaughtering my last milk goat this week so that we can re-make our enclosures in preperation for the new pigs.

Sometimes you have to improvise. To me, it's less important to have actual curds on poutine than it is to have some sort of tasty cheese with french fries and gravy.

Clearly my mental picture of your surroundings is heavily tinted by my (very limited) understanding of farms and the country in general. What I know about farming and the rest you could fit on the point of a needle, and have room for angels to dance on it. In my head, there's the east coast, the west coast, and all that scary stuff in between what doesn't see the ocean and is like cows, corn, and soy. Possibly sheep. And trees and nature and junk. Basically, everything that fills me with terror. Like, mad respect to people who grow our food, right? But I'm going to hide here in my city and wish to never have to see it in person.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

SubG posted:

I also think that Seventeenth Century conversational sensibilities ought to be taken as normative and anyone who feels otherwise is a dandyprat grumbletonian who can go suck cackling farts.

If we can use those words more I agree with you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

dino. posted:

Clearly my mental picture of your surroundings is heavily tinted by my (very limited) understanding of farms and the country in general. What I know about farming and the rest you could fit on the point of a needle, and have room for angels to dance on it. In my head, there's the east coast, the west coast, and all that scary stuff in between what doesn't see the ocean and is like cows, corn, and soy. Possibly sheep. And trees and nature and junk. Basically, everything that fills me with terror. Like, mad respect to people who grow our food, right? But I'm going to hide here in my city and wish to never have to see it in person.

I'm going to get you a week on a Nevada cattle ranch, possibly with some Basques with impressive mustaches, for your birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm going to get you a week on a Nevada cattle ranch, possibly with some Basques with impressive mustaches, for your birthday.

It'd be cheaper (and equally traumatizing) to just ditch him in Battle Mountain for a month.