Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

toasterwarrior posted:

I want it so that when war dog units get their armour or weapons upgraded, the dogs get the upgrades, not the handlers. Yes, I want dogs wearing chainmail and claw gauntlets.

And berserkers to become even more swole when they get armour upgrades.

All barbarian units get bigger beards with every upgrade. Barbarian generals are basically Cousin Itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is it a bug or a normal thing that the Ashikaga can get multiple heroes?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Azran posted:

It seems I can't run mods in my Steam-bought Medieval 2? :raise: I'm using the Medieval 2 Kingdoms launcher, but be it LTC or Stainless Steel, it crashes as soon as I boot it up. Any ideas? (Windows 7)

Use a different launcher:
http://www.2shared.com/complete/aTM7gUuH/Kingdoms_Launcher_App.html
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500705

If you just want to do Stainless Steel, that one even has its own launcher. Just use the Steam option for adding a non-Steam game and point it to SS_Launcher.exe in your SS mod folder.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My heart breaks every time I see a mod that looks like a TC for NTW and for a moment I think somebody finally did it..then I discover it is single player battle mode/multiplayer only.

Godammit.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You have to do this weird thing where you delete one of the kingdoms campaigns and replace it with Stainless Steel.

No need to delete them. Just change their names. Stainless Steel turns into crusades, broken steel turns into teutonic and so on.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Any good Fire By Rank mini mod for NTW that doesn't conflict with any total conversions?

Seriously The Rights of Man, everything but that loving thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have a new computer than can play Shogun 2 much better than my last one, so I'm trying to get started up in the game. I (barely) won the siege tutorial but I'm a little confused about some of the things that I was told to do. Either the game doesn't actually do them (highly unlikely) or I'm missing something obvious (highly likely).

The instructor told me to send my ninja to climb the walls and take control of the gate, so I did. I set them to stealth and the mouse-over says they're hidden, but as they approach the army inside the keep goes crazy and starts firing at them before they're even halfway there, and the few that make over the walls are massacred immediately, and I can't seem to find any option to make them do anything to the gate (I eventually just had my infantry pitch flaming torches at it and burned it down).

The instructor also says that having my units stand next to the guard towers will eventually give me control over them, but all that happens is my men get slaughtered by arrows fired FROM the guard tower. I thought there might be an option to enter/take the tower like there was for the farmhouses/stables in the countryside but if there is I seem to be missing it. In the end I lost a lot of men to arrows from the guardtowers, but I wiped out the forces inside the keep itself and won a costly victory, so at least I completed the tutorial.

Man this is a pretty game, though. I can't wait for Rome 2.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To capture towers and gates from the inside, look for the circle with the flag on the ground nearby and stick a unit there. Keep them there for about a minute and the enemy away from it and you'll capture said structure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Jerusalem posted:

The instructor also says that having my units stand next to the guard towers will eventually give me control over them, but all that happens is my men get slaughtered by arrows fired FROM the guard tower. I thought there might be an option to enter/take the tower like there was for the farmhouses/stables in the countryside but if there is I seem to be missing it. In the end I lost a lot of men to arrows from the guardtowers, but I wiped out the forces inside the keep itself and won a costly victory, so at least I completed the tutorial.

Wait. You can enter buildings? :raise: I thought that stopped after Napoleon! :v:

Is there any goon presence in multiplayer? I'd love to ask for some tips regarding useless units and avatar skills. (Right now, I'm only missing the Saints and Heroes and Rise of the Samurai units).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Azran posted:

Wait. You can enter buildings? :raise: I thought that stopped after Napoleon! :v:

By "enter" I meant on the buildings out in the countryside there is a little yellow rectangle that appears if you mouse over, and if click on it then your unit will start to take control of the building.

SeanBeansShako posted:

To capture towers and gates from the inside, look for the circle with the flag on the ground nearby and stick a unit there. Keep them there for about a minute and the enemy away from it and you'll capture said structure.

Thanks, I didn't see anything like that but I'll keep an eye out for it next time.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Azran posted:

It seems I can't run mods in my Steam-bought Medieval 2? :raise: I'm using the Medieval 2 Kingdoms launcher, but be it LTC or Stainless Steel, it crashes as soon as I boot it up. Any ideas? (Windows 7)

Try just the normal Medieval 2 launcher, not Kingdoms. I think that from the splash menu you can choose any mod or campaign.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Speaking of sieges, what is the value in destroying a castle Tenshu? It doesn't let you capture it any quicker, and I don't think it fires arrows.

I miss the days when a trebuchet shot would miss and obliterate the Temple to So-and-So. I hope they bring that back in Rome 2.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Speaking of sieges, what is the value in destroying a castle Tenshu? It doesn't let you capture it any quicker, and I don't think it fires arrows.

I don't know if it accomplishes anything, but flattening and immolating an entire keep with naval fire support and armstrong guns sure lookes pretty.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Vengarr posted:

I miss the days when a trebuchet shot would miss and obliterate the Temple to So-and-So. I hope they bring that back in Rome 2.

It'd just be a bit weird if you couldn't, wouldn't it? An invulnerable tenshu while you've utterly obliterated the rest of the castle would be a bit silly. The AI does occasionally hide stuff behind it though, so if you're too lazy to move your artillery it can sometimes be best to just level it so you can shoot through.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Azran posted:

Is there any goon presence in multiplayer? I'd love to ask for some tips regarding useless units and avatar skills. (Right now, I'm only missing the Saints and Heroes and Rise of the Samurai units).
I think I'm one of the few people who still plays Shogun 2 multiplayer. :saddowns: The last time people played regularly was around when FotS came out.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 4, 2013

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Vengarr posted:

Or the flaming ammunition in Rome that could accidentally burn down half the loving city. That was one of my favorite parts of the game actually - watching Onagers's stormtrooper accuracy burn down markets, temples, bathhouses, barracks. Pretty much anything but the gate or wall surrounding all of said buildings.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

WreckSov posted:

I don't know if it accomplishes anything, but flattening and immolating an entire keep with naval fire support and armstrong guns sure lookes pretty.

I won my first game with the Otomo the other day. During one of the many castle assaults, a European Cannon fired a round that skipped through the AI's entire force, leaving a bloody streak across the ground from one side of the fort to the other.

War is hella awesome

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jerusalem posted:

I have a new computer than can play Shogun 2 much better than my last one, so I'm trying to get started up in the game. I (barely) won the siege tutorial but I'm a little confused about some of the things that I was told to do. Either the game doesn't actually do them (highly unlikely) or I'm missing something obvious (highly likely).

The instructor told me to send my ninja to climb the walls and take control of the gate, so I did. I set them to stealth and the mouse-over says they're hidden, but as they approach the army inside the keep goes crazy and starts firing at them before they're even halfway there, and the few that make over the walls are massacred immediately, and I can't seem to find any option to make them do anything to the gate (I eventually just had my infantry pitch flaming torches at it and burned it down).

Don't worry too much about it. I think I failed the siege tutorial and it gave me a win anyway. I think I asked about it a few months back and a few people said the tutorial was kind of crap. I still to this day don't understand how Shogun 2 vanilla sieges are supposed to work, and I used to play every siege in Rome and Med2 (and even in Empire when it would lag the hell out of the game after an extended period).

I mean, I know I'm supposed to take control of the Tenshu and rout the enemy/kill generals as usual but the lack of siege weaponry/needing to deploy or create it really bothered me (I admit I never build trebs or anything in older games, just made rams and ladders). It just seemed much more tedious than in previous games because I felt like (and was probably intended) that if you took control you were literally marching into a killing zone (more elaborate the higher level of castle town). You either want to go to battle, burn all your arrows and retreat-rinse-repeat or bring superior numbers and autoresolve or wait for a sally you know you can win.

Didn't help that fighting a castle town was just plain boring mechanically and visually. At least in Rome/Medieval 2 (even the more elaborate fortifications) were cool to run your army through.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The best city destruction was in Medieval 2. The Mongol Rocket Launchers would crap out dozens of little missiles, and every single one would smash a little piece of building. They were totally useless for destroying gates and walls and stuff, but otherwise it was very appropriate for the Mongols.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Krazyface posted:

The best city destruction was in Medieval 2. The Mongol Rocket Launchers would crap out dozens of little missiles, and every single one would smash a little piece of building. They were totally useless for destroying gates and walls and stuff, but otherwise it was very appropriate for the Mongols.
I once saw the AI Mongols bug out during a siege of Antioch so that they never assaulted the walls at all, but stood just within firing range of the towers while those piddly rocket launchers fruitlessly tried to knock down a patch of the city walls. Best part is that something like a third or quarter of the Mongol army destroyed during that failed assault, since they took forever to move from whereever they started out and gave enough time for the gunpowder event to fire and for cannon towers to be built in Antioch.

Cannon towers were the best thing.

iSqueezeCats
Jan 1, 2013
I just got back into shogun co-op with a friend for a binge before rome comes out. Its co-op and its fun, but the naval battles and the diplomacy are just bad. Are there any mods that fix these two without changing the game too much?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Ofaloaf posted:

I once saw the AI Mongols bug out during a siege of Antioch so that they never assaulted the walls at all, but stood just within firing range of the towers while those piddly rocket launchers fruitlessly tried to knock down a patch of the city walls. Best part is that something like a third or quarter of the Mongol army destroyed during that failed assault, since they took forever to move from whereever they started out and gave enough time for the gunpowder event to fire and for cannon towers to be built in Antioch.

Cannon towers were the best thing.

That's how siege AI works it M2. First they use ALL their siege weapon ammo, no matter how lovely and useless, and then they attack.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It has been a while since I played Shogun 2 and decided to start a coop campaign of Rise of the Samurai with a friend. Any starter tips? I heard things are more focused on diplomacy than conquest. It's pretty confusing starting off and probably not the best campaign to get back into things.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Jimbot posted:

It has been a while since I played Shogun 2 and decided to start a coop campaign of Rise of the Samurai with a friend. Any starter tips? I heard things are more focused on diplomacy than conquest. It's pretty confusing starting off and probably not the best campaign to get back into things.

You might want to check out my recently completed LP of Rise of the Samurai here as it has a lot of useful information.

Your best bet would be to check out the second post (The Summary Post) for an overview of a significant number of units/buildings and various in-depth information about them. It's going to be enough to get you on the right track at any rate.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks, I'll give it a look!

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Just had the weirdest loving thing happen in FotS. A fleet of five ships including one Warrior against one enemy ship with second reinforcing. I engage, the overview pops up and the Warrior defects to the enemy and is now listed as enemy reinforcement.

Now, there was a Loyalty 2 admiral that went over too. Is this the reason? I've played a lot of Shogun 2 and Total War games in general and this is literally the first time I have seen this happening. And if that's the case, gently caress that cumulative Upstart Generals loyalty hit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

What was the honour rating of the head of the clan you are playing? Because if it starts to really suck even the most loyal Generals and units can consider jumping.

Also, maybe the enemy fleet was carrying agents?

I've had that happen on land before. I reloaded and kept my general way away.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

What was the honour rating of the head of the clan you are playing? Because if it starts to really suck even the most loyal Generals and units can consider jumping.

Also, maybe the enemy fleet was carrying agents?

I've had that happen on land before. I reloaded and kept my general way away.

No enemy agents, honour four.

Checking his loyalty, it had actually dropped to one due to delusions of grandeur and crying about generals long dead. Guess that did the trick then. I was just surprised that it could happen in the middle of my attack.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is there any downside to adopting all your generals - besides Upstart Sons (which I guess Adopted into the Family negates...)? It's like a huge, murderous family. :3:

Also, any reason as for why the Loansword Ashigaru are limited?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Azran posted:

Is there any downside to adopting all your generals - besides Upstart Sons (which I guess Adopted into the Family negates...)? It's like a huge, murderous family. :3:

The loyalty penalty isn't just to the adopted general, it's to all your natural children as well, so it will make your kids loathe you.

Azran posted:

Also, any reason as for why the Loansword Ashigaru are limited?

The veteran upgrades gave a flat boost which makes the Loansword overpowered when ranked up to around 4 and spammed. They chose to fix this problem by limiting them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

shalcar posted:

The loyalty penalty isn't just to the adopted general, it's to all your natural children as well, so it will make your kids loathe you.

Well. :downs:

shalcar posted:

The veteran upgrades gave a flat boost which makes the Loansword overpowered when ranked up to around 4 and spammed. They chose to fix this problem by limiting them.

Oh, I see. Should I be spending Clan Tokens on them? I've got four Rank 5 Loansword units, and they are worth 700 koku each. I've heard it's best to keep them cheap? (Morale, Defense and Attack upgraded).

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Azran posted:

Oh, I see. Should I be spending Clan Tokens on them? I've got four Rank 5 Loansword units, and they are worth 700 koku each. I've heard it's best to keep them cheap? (Morale, Defense and Attack upgraded).

They maintain the best bang for buck without clan tokens spent on them, keep them at rank 4/5. Most units are the same way, with the notable exception of Yari Ashigaru if you are in a spear clan as Hold Firm is ludicrously good for the cost of a rank 9 Yari Ashi.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Faction 7 in Rome is confirmed as Parthia, and I'm pretty certain Egypt has to be 8.

No Selucids for you!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Hopefully seleucids will be a preorder faction but at least they didn't leave parthia out. The bad news is they're not all wearing pink.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Parthia_Faction

Sounds like they get a trade bonus and occupation resistance bonus but lower overall production and order.

quote:

As an Eastern faction, Parthia profits from the rich heritage established by the Persian Empire both in its capacity for trade and in its cultural strength. A degree of tolerance for foreign cultures further eases Parthian conquest of new lands, but their Zoroastrian practices mean an aversion to slavery, which is detrimental to both the economy and to public order. In battle, their great marksmanship and mastery of cavalry makes them a force to be reckoned with when fighting on open ground.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Trujillo posted:

Hopefully seleucids will be a preorder faction but at least they didn't leave parthia out. The bad news is they're not all wearing pink.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Parthia_Faction

Sounds like they get a trade bonus and occupation resistance bonus but lower overall production and order.

The good news? they look like bad asses and I now want to try them out.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't care what anyone says that's a robot horse and I want one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pope Mobile posted:

I don't care what anyone says that's a robot horse and I want one.

Yeah how on earth does the horse actually see with that. Or is them not seeing sort of the point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Koramei posted:

Yeah how on earth does the horse actually see with that. Or is them not seeing sort of the point.

The rider is wearing a mask that makes it just as hard for him to see, they'll be riding around in circles when everyone else is getting stuck in.

Then he'll hang out with the dude who always gets shot off his horse and dragged about with NTW and they both make up bad rear end stories of how cool they are.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I was really hoping for Parthia, (I just love Persian and/or Cataphract style cav and horse archers.) so this is good news. Egypt will be last, I can't imagine another faction taking their place. That leaves Seleucids and Scythia as likely DLC and/or pre-order factions. I'm probably forgetting someone, but I'd say it's a pretty good spread.

quote:

Horse blinders are a thing, but I could see it as something where visibility isn't as bad from the inside looking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Koramei posted:

When you see horses in a parade they are usually wearing blinders, police horses have them a lot too. They have very limited visibility directly ahead and rely on the rider to guide them.