Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Burden of Dreams is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
I remember liking Full Tilt Boogie, which is about the making of From Dusk Till Dawn. I see that it's streaming on Netflix.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Seconding the one for The Shining, it's just so casual and I wish her documentary for Full Metal Jacket was available (or completed?).

reni89 posted:

Guys, I mentioned heart of darkness in the question :)

:saddowns:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The one people always forget when this topic comes up is Demon Lover Diary, which is about as harrowing as Hearts of Darkness and Burden of Dreams but with the added tragicomedy of the fact that nobody liked the movie they made.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I didn't forget about it, I'd just never heard about it and now I'm gonna watch it because it sounds amazing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Does American Movie count?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you want more reason to hate Troy Duffy and Boondock Saints there is Overnight

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Thought of another one: The Sweatbox, which is about the making of The Emperor's New Groove. It was produced by Sting's wife and suppressed by Disney because of all the problems there were with the production: http://vimeo.com/39388975

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I didn't know The Sweatbox was still up. Also Demon Lover Diary was terrific and I'm annoyed that it and Joel DeMott's later film Seventeen are so hard to get a hold of. That sequence at the end after they leave the house for the last time and you hear someone crying and the mother saying "You're running from something, you're running from something" is exactly the kind of weird thing I love about cinema verite.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Seventeen is a available as part of the Middletown DVD set along with all the other great documentaries in that series.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
What's the difference between writers credited as "and" or "&"? One pair works together?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chicolini posted:

What's the difference between writers credited as "and" or "&"? One pair works together?

Yes. "&" means a pair.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Ampersand worked together as a team, 'and' worked separately, probably in rewrites. Towards the bottom of page six:

http://www.wga.org/uploadedFiles/writers_resources/credits/screenscredits_manual10.pdf

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How can a film have a 'Special Guest Star'?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Can someone explain the whole thing with the banker in Holy Motors? The banker is the guy who originally enters the limo, right? And then he turns into Oscar? And then Oscar tries to kill him on the street?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How can a film have a 'Special Guest Star'?

I would suspect it's either A: done out of admiration and respect or B: the special guest star is so big that they can negotiate that credit.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

foodfight posted:

Can someone explain the whole thing with the banker in Holy Motors? The banker is the guy who originally enters the limo, right? And then he turns into Oscar? And then Oscar tries to kill him on the street?

Wait, I think I figured part of this out, Oscar was the banker at the beginning, in makeup. That still doesn't explain why he shoots the banker on the street later. Is this related to the doppelganger he stabs earlier?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would suspect it's either A: done out of admiration and respect or B: the special guest star is so big that they can negotiate that credit.
Yeah, whenever it's a credit wording that seems weird, it's almost always the latter. Usually it has to do with either their agency or the actor's guild insisting that the actor is more important even if it's a bit part. Heather Locklear was listed as a "Special Guest Star" for every single episode of 7 seasons of Melrose Place.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

Detective Thompson posted:

Ampersand worked together as a team, 'and' worked separately, probably in rewrites. Towards the bottom of page six:

http://www.wga.org/uploadedFiles/writers_resources/credits/screenscredits_manual10.pdf

Thank you for this. It was hard to google something like that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kuddles posted:

Heather Locklear was listed as a "Special Guest Star" for every single episode of 7 seasons of Melrose Place.

This is ridiculously funny to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is ridiculously funny to me.

Yeah, I love it. It's like she's a country music star just in town for a few years to star in Melrose Place.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
My favorite is in Police Squad! where the "special guest star" would be murdered in the opening credits of every episode and never seen again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQQcy_5zsM&t=32s

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I just saw Blue Valentine. Anyone know any other films like it? The couple really reminded me of True Romance for some reason.

So anything with a hosed up couple who make all the wrong decisions/have sex in the street would be great.

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

asap-salafi posted:

I just saw Blue Valentine. Anyone know any other films like it? The couple really reminded me of True Romance for some reason.

So anything with a hosed up couple who make all the wrong decisions/have sex in the street would be great.

Got you covered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

One of few good things Family Guy ever gave us was when they dedicated a full four minutes to show this entire video and go "Look how loving dumb this is."

Peter - "Yeah, this happened. And you let it happen."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

One of few good things Family Guy ever gave us was when they dedicated a full four minutes to show this entire video and go "Look how loving dumb this is."

Peter - "Yeah, this happened. And you let it happen."

I respect both artists enough to treat this as a mulligan. Everybody hits one into the woods now and then.

I'd say it was the drugs but Bowie also did good music in this same period so I dunno. (Also he was the Goblin King and that was just on the awesome side of cheesy.)

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

asap-salafi posted:

Have you seen Wild at Heart?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I respect both artists enough to treat this as a mulligan. Everybody hits one into the woods now and then.

I'd say it was the drugs but Bowie also did good music in this same period so I dunno. (Also he was the Goblin King and that was just on the awesome side of cheesy.)

That video is brought to you by cocaine.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
e: Thought I was in gen. chat, sorry.

Shanty fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 1, 2013

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Professor Clumsy posted:

Have you seen Wild at Heart?

Seconding this, although there is a separate thread for asking for recommendations.

Toey
Jul 1, 2007
Editing in movies has always been a mystery to me. I have some question I though you all could/might help me with.

Anyone got any good examples of good and then bad editing in movies?
Why is editing important?
Didn't the director shoot the shots he wanted and then the editor just puts them together?
Why is the editor re-arranging the shot anyway?
What if the editor change the feel/atmosphere of the scene from what the director wanted?
Can the actually do that just with editing?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If you're curious you might check out Walter Murch's In The Blink Of An Eye and/or The Conversations, which go into a good deal of depth, but some basic answers:

In a sense, yes, the director shoots the shots he wants and the editor puts them together, but there are a thousand reasons why this isn't rendered literally on-screen as you probably imagine it. There certainly are films in which this is the case (in the most extreme form it's called in-camera editing, in which the movie is all shot sequentially on one piece of film and is transferred without change) but in almost no films is this the case, which should tell you why editing is such a major part of filmmaking. There are, to boil it way down, two essential parts to editing a film: picking the takes to use and stringing them together. When a filmmaker shoots a scene he, usually, shoots it several times, sometimes a few times and sometimes over a hundred (as was the case, infamously, with The Shining). Usually the scene is shot from several different angles, sometimes with multiple cameras but usually this requires shooting it over again for each different angle. A scene where two characters converse may show one character, and then the other, and thus there are not only two shots (if not more) but multiple takes of both shots and not only does every take have its own features but every moment in every take has its own features and quickly we can see problems with the idea of simply putting on-screen whomever may be talking at the moment and this is the editor's task. What if, while one person is talking, the other is having an interesting reaction? If we show it, how long should we show it for?

In this sense an editor is absolutely able to change the feel and atmosphere of a scene and many directors have explicitly stated that filmmaking doesn't begin until the film is on the editing desk and, of course, the director is usually present to guide the editor's choices towards a desired effect and several full cuts of a film may be made before the director is satisfied (see, for example, Blade Runner, or Brazil's infamous "Love Conquers All" cut). Since editing is an art there's no clear definition of what "bad editing" entails because all the rules can be broken to great effect (see Breathless, which popularized the jump cut) and I can't think of any solid examples show you but obviously there are all sorts of movies with poor editing.

edit: check out the opening scene of Brian DePalma's Blow-up (:nws:), which is an amusing example of the editing process in action.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 4, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of the more interesting examples of how editing works is on the Extended Edition DVD/BR of the Fellowship of the Ring- one of the special features focuses on the editing and assembly of the Council of Rivendell scene, and you can actually look at the various shot elements they did over time (which is quite a bit because it's a long scene with a lot of people speaking.) A scene rarely gets run straight through, start to finish- instead they shoot parts of it based on what they know they'll need according to the shooting script, and more on top of that so they have leeway in editing it. They try to cover everything you might need in putting together the scene so they don't have to go back and do reshoots because the director realized something late in editing.

On top of this, over multiple takes an actor's readings and gestures can change, and an editor has to make sure that the takes chosen add up to a coherent performance. (I've heard that Christopher Walken never gives the same reading twice.) Otherwise an actor might be playing a scene really intense one moment and laid back the next without any explanation.

And THEN there's all the minor matching you have to do- like, if a character's head was turning one way in a wide shot the next shot needs to match that movement. There are films (like Breathless, as above) which deliberately ignore this kind of continuity and coverage, but you have to really know what you're doing to pull that off. It's like grammar.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So for audio clarity and editing reasons, there's often voice over or dubbing of lines in movies. (Not sure what it's called in the industry.) I almost never watch a movie without noticing this, and I can't stand it. It breaks immersion for me way more than unbelievable scenarios and unrealistic dialog. If we have the technology to make CGI so good that most people notice it, I assume we have the tech to edit audio better than this.

What percentage of an average movie's dialog is voiceover? Do people notice this less than I do, even though I'm not a film buff? Are big-budget movies sloppy about this because they don't care, or because time and money are in short supply at this point in production?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mescal posted:

So for audio clarity and editing reasons, there's often voice over or dubbing of lines in movies. (Not sure what it's called in the industry.) I almost never watch a movie without noticing this, and I can't stand it. It breaks immersion for me way more than unbelievable scenarios and unrealistic dialog. If we have the technology to make CGI so good that most people notice it, I assume we have the tech to edit audio better than this.

What percentage of an average movie's dialog is voiceover? Do people notice this less than I do, even though I'm not a film buff? Are big-budget movies sloppy about this because they don't care, or because time and money are in short supply at this point in production?

Isn't this called ADR (automated dialogue replacement)? Or am I mixing up my terms here?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mescal posted:

What percentage of an average movie's dialog is voiceover?

I've heard estimates of about 80%. It's much more with background noises, footsteps, sheets rustling, coffee mugs clanking on the table. If there's a foregrounded noise from something inanimate, it's almost certainly foley.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

In this sense an editor is absolutely able to change the feel and atmosphere of a scene and many directors have explicitly stated that filmmaking doesn't begin until the film is on the editing desk and, of course, the director is usually present to guide the editor's choices towards a desired effect and several full cuts of a film may be made before the director is satisfied (see, for example, Blade Runner, or Brazil's infamous "Love Conquers All" cut). Since editing is an art there's no clear definition of what "bad editing" entails because all the rules can be broken to great effect (see Breathless, which popularized the jump cut) and I can't think of any solid examples show you but obviously there are all sorts of movies with poor editing.

I don't recall the details, but I remember reading in school about an experiment where a filmmaker took the same reaction shot of a man and placed it next to various shots of things he was reacting to. After showing a different version to different audiences, the same actor in the same shot was hailed for his his acting by the audience, but each time of a different emotion. Rage, heartbreak, and serenity can all be conveyed by the same shot depending on how it is used by the editor. That "chemistry" between actors that people are always on about? 90% of it was constructed in the editing room.

Maxwell Lord posted:

On top of this, over multiple takes an actor's readings and gestures can change, and an editor has to make sure that the takes chosen add up to a coherent performance. (I've heard that Christopher Walken never gives the same reading twice.) Otherwise an actor might be playing a scene really intense one moment and laid back the next without any explanation.

This quality was used to great success in American Psycho. The director had Willem Dafoe shoot multiple versions of each take, some in which his character knew that Bateman had killed Allen, and some in which he didn't suspect at all. In editing, these were constantly switched between so that neither the audience nor Bateman could get a proper read on him.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I don't recall the details, but I remember reading in school about an experiment where a filmmaker took the same reaction shot of a man and placed it next to various shots of things he was reacting to. After showing a different version to different audiences, the same actor in the same shot was hailed for his his acting by the audience, but each time of a different emotion. Rage, heartbreak, and serenity can all be conveyed by the same shot depending on how it is used by the editor. That "chemistry" between actors that people are always on about? 90% of it was constructed in the editing room.

Kuleshov effect.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I really like Hitchcock's demonstration of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
edit: wrong thread

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 4, 2013