Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is there a wiimote charging dock that works with the rubber condom on? Or any that comes recommended with batteries?

I like having the cradle for my gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I'm kind of baffled as to why Nintendo hasn't done more with the Virtual Console for either the 3DS or WiiU. Nintendo can only influence 3rd-party developers so much, so why not put all that cash they're sitting on towards expanding the Virtual Console offerings? Hire on some more staff to work specifically on emulation. They have these big, nice e-markets set up but they're practically ghost towns. I know I'm one WiiU owner who would be satiated by WiiU-specific ports of 8-bit through 64-bit games until more WiiU content arrived.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

elf help book posted:

Is there a wiimote charging dock that works with the rubber condom on? Or any that comes recommended with batteries?

There are no chargers that work with the rubber condom on as far as i've ever seen. Personally I used this the entire time I owned a Wii and repurchased it when I got my Wii U and it works perfectly fine: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Charge-Station-Wii-Black-Nintendo/dp/B003X1R29K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I would spend a ridiculous amount of money buying every single old game out there. Hell, it's one of my favourite things about the original Wii.

TAKE MY MONEY, NINTENDO!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyHopeful posted:

I'm kind of baffled as to why Nintendo hasn't done more with the Virtual Console for either the 3DS or WiiU. Nintendo can only influence 3rd-party developers so much, so why not put all that cash they're sitting on towards expanding the Virtual Console offerings? Hire on some more staff to work specifically on emulation. They have these big, nice e-markets set up but they're practically ghost towns. I know I'm one WiiU owner who would be satiated by WiiU-specific ports of 8-bit through 64-bit games until more WiiU content arrived.

I'd wager the big focus for Nintendo's programming teams are the two OS patches right now.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

iajanus posted:

I would spend a ridiculous amount of money buying every single old game out there. Hell, it's one of my favourite things about the original Wii.

TAKE MY MONEY, NINTENDO!!!

You're much too easy on them.

Give me some achievements/leaderboards though and I'd play old games more than anything else.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Question: I remember a while back reading that games are tied to the Wii U console itself. My Wii U just poo poo the bed...I'm going to have to send it back to Nintendo (won't read discs anymore, every disc is dirty even if its pristine). What happens to my downloaded VC and Wii U games? Do they get transferred? Or am I SOL when it comes to everything I have bought?

I'm no expert on the Wii U's innards, but what you describe sounds almost like a dirty lens issue. I used to encounter the same thing with my launch PS2 all the time. All I had to do was disassemble the thing and wipe down the laser with a damp q-tip and it was as good as new. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a slot-loading device like the Wii U (especially since it's still a pretty new system), but I'd say there's an excellent chance you'll get your same unit back.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ghostwritingduck posted:

You're much too easy on them.

Give me some achievements/leaderboards though and I'd play old games more than anything else.

With adding control customization Nintendo is close to making it feel like a legit emulator.

Now give me speed controls and online play :argh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Almost Smart posted:

I'm no expert on the Wii U's innards, but what you describe sounds almost like a dirty lens issue. I used to encounter the same thing with my launch PS2 all the time. All I had to do was disassemble the thing and wipe down the laser with a damp q-tip and it was as good as new. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a slot-loading device like the Wii U (especially since it's still a pretty new system), but I'd say there's an excellent chance you'll get your same unit back.

Nintendo actually made an official lens cleaning kit for the Wii. There are many similar products should work fine. Basically a DVD with a small brush on the bottom that lines up with the lens. It will spin, fail to be read, but wipe any crud off the lens in the process.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

Negotiating the rights might be more difficult in America than it is in Europe or Japan. I mean there are companies that published NES and SNES games that are out of business now, so what estate do you have to go to to get clearance?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

Negotiating the rights might be more difficult in America than it is in Europe or Japan. I mean there are companies that published NES and SNES games that are out of business now, so what estate do you have to go to to get clearance?

I'd hazzard a guess that Europe, with its multiple jurisdictions and markets, would be a lot harder than America, especially for stuff from before, oh, 1995 or so.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

With adding control customization Nintendo is close to making it feel like a legit emulator.

Now give me speed controls and online play :argh:

NES Blades of Steel with online would be the greatest hockey game. :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Third-party publishers handle all their own VC stuff independently of Nintendo, so it's up to them to release/re-release their stuff in a timely manner, and I imagine a lot of Wii VC publishers simply won't bother re-negotiating anything for Wii U.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TaurusOxford posted:

NES Blades of Steel with online would be the greatest hockey game. :)

NHL 94. I still have that drat pregame music where you're picking your teams and staring at Ron Barr's ugly dome stuck in my head some nights.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

NHL 94. I still have that drat pregame music where you're picking your teams and staring at Ron Barr's ugly dome stuck in my head some nights.

Its not available on the Wii U, only the Wiiware right now, but its so good I thought I should mention it. Retro City Ramage is a pretty hilarious NES style Grand Theft Auto. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RsxlWZ1lIg

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

elf help book posted:

This does, I use it

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Energizer...s=energizer+wii

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Junkie Disease posted:

I can't tell you how much japan exclusives make me sad.
Its USB its for the DQX wiiU. Yes it will work with your computer most likely as well. Figurines are removable. It costs like 55 bucks when its going to be released. I don't even like DQ and I want it so drat bad. Oh and its made by Hori so its probably very well made.

I went ahead and looked for this on amazon.co.jp (found it!) and wow, you weren't kidding about the price; 7400 Yen is ~60€. Still, if I find one of those when I'm in Tokyo in May, I'll probably buy it. Hell, I should buy a couple more but I don't think I'd get rid of them here in Europe.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Eurogamer posted:

A "modified" version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is on the way, possibly for Wii U

A newly "modified" version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been rated by the Australian Ratings Board.

The update to Square Enix's well-received sci-fi shooter comes two years after the game's original release.

The ratings board listing (spotted by CVG) makes no mention of which platforms the new version is for, but Wii U seems a safe bet.

Australian studio Straight Right previously told Eurogamer it was working on a Wii U port of a "big title", which subsequent reports identified as a Square Enix game.

The developer previously handled the Wii U conversion of Mass Effect 3.

A new version of Human Revolution may simply include the game's Missing Link DLC, or it could go further and rework other features too, such as the game's much-maligned and outsourced boss battles.

Square Enix recently filed a trademark for Deus Ex: Human Defiance, although subsequent reports have this pegged as a title for the upcoming film adaptation, rather than another new game.

Eurogamer has contacted Square Enix for comment - we'll update if we hear back.
Source

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That's cool.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

It really depends on the what and how much. I don't think you're doing the game a service by releasing the game (even with DLC) at full price point, when you can get the PS3/360/PC version for a third.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like I shouldn't spend $60 on games that are two years old but I am going to do it and I am going to love it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Deus Ex was in no way worth $60. It's a good $20 to maaaybe $30 game max. Way too short and incredibly linear.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Wait, same team who worked on Mass Effect 3?

That doesn't sound good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Was it a bad port, or simply bad because it was the same price as buying the whole trilogy on any other system?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wait, same team who worked on Mass Effect 3?

That doesn't sound good.

Wait, what's wrong with the Wii U port? That's all it's talking about, they aren't Bioware.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nick at Nite posted:

Wait, what's wrong with the Wii U port? That's all it's talking about, they aren't Bioware.

People said it was slow and laggy, if I remember the launch correctly. Or was it the one decent launch port?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would happily buy a WiiU version of Human Revolution if it meant I didn't have to pause the game to check my drat map all the time.

Also if you're in the UK and looking for a WiiU, Asda have knocked £50 off all versions of the console. So you can get the 32gb with Nintendoland for £250 or the 8gb for £200. Quite a few places are doing these limited time drops right now so it's probably worth keeping an eye on deal sites if you're looking for one. Zavvi apparently had the 32gb for £225 last month.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cliff Racer posted:

People said it was slow and laggy, if I remember the launch correctly. Or was it the one decent launch port?

The vast majority of the ports were decent, but they clearly weren't perfect. There's no real reason for this level of criticism of them.

Human Revolution is...a surprising choice. I like the game very much, but it's exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't expect to be a big seller on the WiiU. If done well, it should be loads better than the other 2 console versions, though. Especially if the map was on the screen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's something they can put out that won't sell gangbusters but will continue to sell steadily over the life of the console. A decent low risk long term investment.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Deus Ex was in no way worth $60. It's a good $20 to maaaybe $30 game max. Way too short and incredibly linear.
Compared to the original Deus Ex: yes. Compared to other modern games in the genre: not at all.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I think I'd rather play something "too short" and linear. I gave up on stuff like the Final Fantasy games. I rarely want to spend 40+ hours on a game.

I'm usually not happy with most of my game purchases, and it's rarely because a game is "too short". They should pack as much fun stuff into that short period so that I'm "blown-away" and can then finish it without being bored. Don't stretch the fun stuff too thin just so you can claim your game isn't "too short".

I just completed El Shaddai this weekend (on sale for $2.99 on Xbox 360). Was it good? bad? too short? I don't know. I just know it was beyond weird and kept me interested long enough to complete it. I know it was very linear. You spend much of the game doing nothing but literally walking/running down a linear path. I didn't care. I just wanted to see "what happens next".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Deus Ex: HR's problem was it gave you way too much experience. By the end of the game you end up with so many upgrades that your character can do everything. It really killed the replay value. The game can be short and linear if can replay it in a different style. But that wasn't how it worked out. I didn't feel like I missed anything after playing it and had no reason to do it again.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm okay with a game that's only really worth the one playthrough-- I rarely have time to complete games the first time anymore, seems like.

Never did finish Deus Ex, my PC was going through awful overheating problems around the time I bought it. I'd probably get a Wii U version though, yeah, a $60 price point would be a little absurd for something so old.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah even if I hadn't already played HR to death I'd only pay $59.99 for a Wii U port if it like had an entire new hub or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alex WS posted:

Compared to the original Deus Ex: yes. Compared to other modern games in the genre: not at all.

I think that says more about modern games than it does about Deus Ex: HR...

Getting it on Steam for under $10 was a good buy for me. I wasn't sure if I'd like the reboot but it turned out well and I'm glad I got it. For a release on the Wii U, if they added some new features and was reasonably well done I might pay $20 for it again.

This makes me think that this release is less about DE:HR than it is about the sequel. If they're releasing the original on the Wii U then I think it's safe to say that it's both an easy port because they're already targeted in the Wii U for the next game and they want to build a little brand connection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus unlike Tomb Raider which they're not doing on Wii U because of how much work it would take to make use of the tablet or whatever nonsense, HR has a bunch of no brainer stuff like the maps and your inventory that could easily be worked into the tablet instead of being on screen. A new one built to take advantage of that from the ground up would be awesome. Hold tablet up to your face to skul gun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"Too much work to figure out how to use the gamepad" is a fake excuse, any publisher that says that just doesn't want to say the more bridge-burning reason of "It won't sell if we put it on Wii U".

I mean Off-TV Play exists specifically for companies who don't want to put the effort in. It's a bullshit excuse.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People don't think Deus Ex was worth multiple playthroughs? :psyduck:

HR was one of my favourite games of this console generation. If they do go for a Wii U version I'd like to see them add a couple of new things instead of just a straight port with off tv play.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

KimT posted:

People don't think Deus Ex was worth multiple playthroughs? :psyduck:

HR was one of my favourite games of this console generation. If they do go for a Wii U version I'd like to see them add a couple of new things instead of just a straight port with off tv play.

I started out stealth and by the end had enough upgrades to be able to run and gun it if I wanted. So there wasnt really incentive to play it again. That was my milage anyway.

I really liked the game otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

I started out stealth and by the end had enough upgrades to be able to run and gun it if I wanted. So there wasnt really incentive to play it again. That was my milage anyway.

I really liked the game otherwise.

I liked going back and solve missions in other ways, regardless of augmentations v:shobon:v

• Locked thread