Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We did do some full ice breakouts, but we had a low turnout and I think the image I posted was the compromise to deal with the fact that people were getting gassed.

When we get a full group, we typically spend 15 minutes on just breakouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Sellouts, I was thinking of hitting the Skating Edge's Stick Time tonight at 7pm. Have you done it before and how crowded does it get? I've been off ice for almost 6 months now and need to get some ice time. If its super crowded though I can head into the 6/7am ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well this was an interesting url:

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

I've been following the "stick up to the chin" rule since day one and this makes a convincing argument to go shorter.

How high does everyone else measure their stick to when on skates?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Sellouts, I was thinking of hitting the Skating Edge's Stick Time tonight at 7pm. Have you done it before and how crowded does it get? I've been off ice for almost 6 months now and need to get some ice time. If its super crowded though I can head into the 6/7am ones.

It is somewhat crowded but workable. I've had good times going there. There will be kids out there but it's fine. If you are near by I would say go.

I'm not going this week but I took a beginner out there for his first time on the ice and it was fine.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

I've been following the "stick up to the chin" rule since day one and this makes a convincing argument to go shorter.

I like shorter sticks, mine normally come up to my adams apple on skates, sometimes slightly lower even. That + using a lower flex stick = insane wrist shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Head on car collision at 30mph on my way home from work tonight.. odds of me playing a game Sunday morning? :haw:

Seriously, once the surprise of being hit cleared from my head, that was the first thing I thought of.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

Head on car collision at 30mph on my way home from work tonight..

What the hell.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

At least you have your priorities set right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

What the hell.

2 lane road, guy swerved into my lane and nailed me right in a headlight. :downs:

Some sore ribs and collar bone but nothing feels broken. We'll see how that holds up tomorrow.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

xzzy posted:

I have some extra Dolomite's that I thought were too short. I'm gonna give this a shot.

Glad you didn't get too hosed up in your wreck. Surely since you didn't need an ambulance, you can skate right? haha

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Completely ridiculous exercise but it was a heap of fun. Not a ton of skating but a bunch of close quarters puck battles.

That looks kinda fun but not totally sure what the unique fundamental thing it teaches is. Pass right across the middle in front of your goal. :haw:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
^ I think its teaching him to stay in his own lane, too bad the other guy missed practice.
Hope you're OK xzzy

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Pass right across the middle in front of your goal. :haw:

Pretty sure my team did this drill every day I couldn't make it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

That looks kinda fun but not totally sure what the unique fundamental thing it teaches is. Pass right across the middle in front of your goal. :haw:

Yeah, after sellout's post I've been wondering that too. If nothing else, it was a lot of fun.

What I got out of it was a game of keep away and blocking passes, which I really enjoy working on. I guess there's more traditional drills for that stuff but it's also nice to see new stuff.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Yeah, after sellout's post I've been wondering that too. If nothing else, it was a lot of fun.

What I got out of it was a game of keep away and blocking passes, which I really enjoy working on. I guess there's more traditional drills for that stuff but it's also nice to see new stuff.

We played some fun games with that - I remember getting in a big circle and having someone in the middle and having to pass across the circle (couldn't pass to anyone within 2 players of you on either side) with someone being in the middle and trying to block the passes or steal the puck.

We also did a thing where everyone started out in the neutral zone with a puck, and you both had to keep control of your own puck and try to knock other people's pucks out of the neutral zone. If your puck got knocked out you were out. Last player in the neutral zone with a puck won.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

Thanks for this. I've known mine is too long even by the stick-to-chin rule, but I play D so I haven't bothered looking into going shorter. Fortunately I don't have to cut my regular stick down -- someone I skate with gave me an old stick a while back that may be just the "right" height for me according to this site. I haven't played with it yet but maybe I'll have to try it out sometime.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I watched Craig Ludwig skate out for some police vs fire department thing for the city and I noticed his stick was short too. Not that old-man-Craig-Ludwig is the be all end all of anything, but it was the first time I'd noticed this in the wild.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So the hardest part about going to a hockey game 36 hours after a head on collision in a car was getting approval from my wife. :v:

It took some effort to convince her I was good to go, what worked in my favor is I got cleared by a doctor.. just some mild bruises, no fractures or anything. Glad I went because I felt great on the ice, no star plays on my part but I made some solid defensive plays when the team really needed it. I dig get a 2 on 1 breakaway at one point, fast up the boards, tried to backhand it to the second guy in and I missed his stick by a mile, right into the goalie's pads. :negative:

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Welp, my LTP clinic wrapped up today. While I'd say I'm better than I was before it started I still have a whole lot of learning/practicing to do. Now to start joining some of the weekly pick-up games (6am?!), the occasional weekend PU game, and wait till the next season starts to get on a C league team.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Went to my second scrimmage this weekend. I'm going to cut my sticks a bit shorter and maybe try a lefty one. Play-wise, apparently, I'm a natural defenseman.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Went to my second scrimmage this weekend. I'm going to cut my sticks a bit shorter and maybe try a lefty one. Play-wise, apparently, I'm a natural defenseman.

Nice!

That's where most people start out, don't be surprised if you change roles once you get a little more comfortable out there.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
1G, 1A, +3 tonight.

Feels good man. Best game of my life. :)

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Welp, my LTP clinic wrapped up today. While I'd say I'm better than I was before it started I still have a whole lot of learning/practicing to do. Now to start joining some of the weekly pick-up games (6am?!), the occasional weekend PU game, and wait till the next season starts to get on a C league team.

Nice, keep at it. I slacked off this week and haven't played since last Satuday. Ill probably be over to XI Tuesday night for pickup.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
It started to rain last week, so now hockey season is over for this year :suicide:

Only 9-11 months until next season!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Holy poo poo my first game in over a month since the pond hockey tournament. Finally kicked most of this bullshit chest cold/flu thing so I am totally stoked for tonight.

If only I hadn't gotten just 5 hours of miserable sleep, waking up 6 times throughout the night!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The LTP team I played for had their first-ever playoff game on Saturday night. It was basically a play-in game with another team to decide who gets steamrolled by the ringer team the next day.

We were up 3-0, then gave up 3 goals and let them tie it up in the 2nd/3rd periods. We ended up taking a penalty then scoring the short-handed/go-ahead goal with 3 minutes left in the game. They pulled the goalie and we stuffed in the empty-netter to seal it.

My sister was in town and caught the empty-netter on video. I'm #79 with the mis-matched jersey/socks and pink 7 and got tackled after the goal. It was pretty :3: to watch them win a playoff game in their first season. I'm pretty sure it took 3 seasons for my Silver team to win a playoff or even a consolation game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9NQY8uXeMs

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

Nice, keep at it. I slacked off this week and haven't played since last Satuday. Ill probably be over to XI Tuesday night for pickup.

I think I'll give Tuesday night's pickup at XI a try this week. I'll be the goof in a yellow metro league jersey trying not to be a complete dunce.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Tonight I had several instances where the puck would deflect off my stick and into my skates somewhere. I couldn't see where the puck was, but my teammates kept yelling that it was at my feet and this was incredibly frustrating since I couldn't see it and then all of a sudden it would squirt out somewhere.

What do you do here? I guess this is one of those, "you'll track the puck better as you play more" situations?

Also, anyone down? It's in beautiful Woodbridge, VA (20 mins from DC) at Communist Kangaroo and I's rink.

http://www.puckfest.com/PuckfestBattlegroundVirginia.html

AAB fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 5, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone loses the puck in their feet.. you'll even see NHLers do it. I think the "secret" is to just not let the puck get underneath you, which NHLers are really good at.

If you're taking a pass, keep your hands soft and the stick flat on the ice, will prevent it from deflecting.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Tonight I had several instances where the puck would deflect off my stick and into my skates somewhere. I couldn't see where the puck was, but my teammates kept yelling that it was at my feet and this was incredibly frustrating since I couldn't see it and then all of a sudden it would squirt out somewhere.

What do you do here? I guess this is one of those, "you'll track the puck better as you play more" situations?

You can practice kicking it forward to your stick. The drill I used to do (and probably should get back to doing) was to skate forward at a normal speed with the puck on my stick, drop it back to my feet, kick it back to the stick, repeat. It's probably not as helpful as a childhood of soccer, but it does improve the situation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Wear smaller shoulder pads and do not wear a cage.

I wear a cage because of idiots in my league but it is night and day tracking the puck close to your skates when you choose to not wear one.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Getting rid of the cage will reduce the likelihood of concussions as well.

welp that got old but I'm posting this anyways 8)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's an equilibrium league, right around B perhaps, where wearing a cage becomes a liability. Anything lower and it just saves you teeth and broken noses (albiet, with an increased risk of TBI).

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Wear smaller shoulder pads and do not wear a cage.

I wear a cage because of idiots in my league but it is night and day tracking the puck close to your skates when you choose to not wear one.

Yes, not wearing shoulder pads and wearing a visor 100% improves my game and this is part of why.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pinky Artichoke posted:

You can practice kicking it forward to your stick. The drill I used to do (and probably should get back to doing) was to skate forward at a normal speed with the puck on my stick, drop it back to my feet, kick it back to the stick, repeat. It's probably not as helpful as a childhood of soccer, but it does improve the situation.

One drill my team does at S&P is to take a circle. One of our passing drills is that you are required to kick it out to your stick before the pass. Then you "pass" it to the guys skates.

Oh and another drill we do is using these big old lead balls. We pass those and it really works your hands and passing well. We have different weights and by the time we get down to using the puck, it feels light as a feather.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't know if this is advanced or not, but I always used to drop the puck back with the back hand, but this winter I learned to use the toe of the stick instead, so if you're doing this drill, and use the toe of the stick to drop it back, you're also starting to learn the fundamentals of Your First Datsyukian Deke™

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
FYI They're yelling "feet" for exactly the reason you stated, it's extremely difficult to track the puck in that situation. They're yelling it at you to help you out, because they know you probably can't see it. They're not yelling at you in a sense of "COME ON, MAN!".

Wasn't sure if that was clearly understood by the way you said you were getting frustrated

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
My team had a great defensive game last night. We pulled off a 2-1 win in roller which is a rare feat itself. Felt good to finally start passing the puck and controlling play. I need to get back my scoring touch, I had a couple good chances but no goals/assists. Also this was the first game since I decided to cut 2" off of my stick so handling the puck felt a little weird at first.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Our roller shutout streak ended last night after 8 periods. The only goal against in the game was a shot off the glass that bounced over top of the net and landed on someone's stick in the slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dms666 posted:

Our roller shutout streak ended last night after 8 periods. The only goal against in the game was a shot off the glass that bounced over top of the net and landed on someone's stick in the slot.

Nice work. Every roller game ive ever played had at least 37 goals scored. Singlw digit games were rare since a lot of roller guys forget to play defense and the goalies are slow side to side not to mention they give up more rebounds with the lighter puck.