Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Hey guys remember how on the Taste it was gonna be all about the food and not the people so the eliminations were gonna be blind taste tests and stuff and personality wasn't gonna matter?

The Taste is good.

I kind of like it. I watch it every week.

Ludo is a creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Oh, yeah, I will still keep watching it because I always watch this stuff in spite of my complaints.

Ludo is definitely weird.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

axleblaze posted:

On Chopped Scott Conant just said something on one of the guys plates tasted like baby aspirin and then added how much he loves baby aspirin :psyduck:

This guy is one of the many I love to hate.
Secret ingredients: red onion, something, and something else. Contestant makes a salad or some poo poo, and sprinkles finely julienned red onion on top.
Conant kicked him off... for using the onion. Because he doesn't like onion.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm watching this for Sunny Anderson and Joey Fatone alone. Maybe Scott but only because I wish Scott could be his own judge and kick himself off.

Didn't someone do a raw food thing and get booted...simply because she didn't cook anything? I think the person wasn't even a cook, more a model or something?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Oh, yeah, I will still keep watching it because I always watch this stuff in spite of my complaints.

Ludo is definitely weird.

I do like the long form of it, that over time people who came in with a gimmick ("I'm a bitch!" or "I'm a professional chef!") have kind of gotten past that and that the judges seem to have matured to some degree with dealing with/managing their teams.

Also the total collapse of Nigella's team kind of owned.

Pulling for Khristianne or the guy on her team with the plaid shirt.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Scott Conant better not gently caress up or else he should give up his spot on the judges table. Like a good ole' I Quit match from wrestling. Not surprised Chris Santos didn't return to All Stars. He had trouble last time didn't he? I feel like he hasn't been as negative since either, but I also have missed probably half of the most recent episodes.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So pissed at PBS over that Rick Steves food show---quite contrary to the description it was just a premier episode of an entirely disjointed clip show of food moments from his regular show, not at all a "New Series"...the ire was not lost on me at the pledge drive choice of reasoning in terms of "We're an outfit of shows that respects you intelligence~". I know they've got a hard lot, but really, an accurate portrayal ultimately serves to everybody's benefit.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

ToastyPotato posted:

They'd just as soon spend some extra money to re-film the episode or segment than to ditch an entire produced episode. I mean, I could see it happening once or twice over the lifetime of the show, but I doubt it would be a regular thing.

Speaking as somebody who works in reality TV, you'd be surprised how little reshoot work it takes to completely change the nature of a produced episode. The only reason I can see a show ditching an already-produced episode is due to some legal nonsense, or maybe somebody died. An episode of Chopped where everything went wrong would probably be a bigger draw than usual, anyway.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
All good points, especially about creative editing and reshooting. I hadn't really thought of it like that.

I guess the lunch lady episode of Chopped a season or two ago proves that they'll shoehorn as much as they can just to get it on the air.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

kazmeyer posted:

Speaking as somebody who works in reality TV, you'd be surprised how little reshoot work it takes to completely change the nature of a produced episode. The only reason I can see a show ditching an already-produced episode is due to some legal nonsense, or maybe somebody died. An episode of Chopped where everything went wrong would probably be a bigger draw than usual, anyway.

Yeah basically some sort of legal challenge or possible death would be the only thing stopping something from airing with regards to a reality show(and even then there have been plenty of examples where even that wasn't enough). Since the point of reality TV is to be cheap, so reshooting is never optimal, but we already see the lengths shows will go through to create the story they want with out reshoots:

CG bacon in Hell's Kitchen.
Fake rain on Ax-Men to match shots that clearly aren't supposed to match.
Fake time of day to match shots that clearly don't go together on various shows.
Reused reactions on various shows.
Fake sound effects.

Also I believe Survivor has basically been outed as having most of those aerial shots of competitions be "reshoots".Helicopters are loud as gently caress and you never hear them during the games themselves. From personal experience, there are a few places in NYC that have regular chopper traffic during the day, and shooting outside anywhere near them is annoying as hell, granted, I am sure my sound gear isn't the fanciest by any means.
A lot of competition shows have weird action "cut aways" (think of something hitting a target or missing etc) where it is pretty clear that those were pickups done at some other time.

Also, most of these shows have disclaimers on the end about how stuff can be altered in editing that in no way affects the outcome of the game, for those that didn't know.

With a show like Chopped, there would be almost no reason to ever really drop an episode. Even if a segment were rendered useless, they could, absolute worst case, reshoot the segment, so long as the end result of the game remained the same.

So in summary, for a reality game show, as long as the outcome of the competition isn't affected, the producers can fake as much as they want. And that isn't even going into the can of worms that are judge based shows, which can't really be regulated the same way a proper game show can.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Did Fear Factor ever end up airing that episode where they made the contestants drink a mug of donkey semen? I think that was one of the few times a reality TV show ever pulled an episode based purely on an ideal of what was "good TV" with no real legal threat.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Cream_Filling posted:

Did Fear Factor ever end up airing that episode where they made the contestants drink a mug of donkey semen? I think that was one of the few times a reality TV show ever pulled an episode based purely on an ideal of what was "good TV" with no real legal threat.

As far as I know, that one never got aired. NBC legal basically poo poo their pants the day of air (or maybe the day before) and pulled it.

But yeah, establishing shots, aerials, all kinds of poo poo is shot subsequent to challenges to fill in the bits and pieces. Hell, I've done shows where the contestants and host never actually met each other. They'd do the challenge with the director running the show, then they'd film the contestants having a one-sided conversation, then they'd bring the host in to do his close-ups/fill-ins for like six episodes at a time. Most shows don't out-and-out fabricate the events you see on screen, but in the vast majority of cases there's a lot of room to massage the story and punch things up.

I always tell people the only way you can be 100% sure some crazy event that happened during a show wasn't scripted was if nobody got the shot. :)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

Fake rain on Ax-Men to match shots that clearly aren't supposed to match.
Fake time of day to match shots that clearly don't go together on various shows.
Reused reactions on various shows.
Fake sound effects.

Restraining a guy so you can shave his head.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Cool Sweet Genius is gonna be on the next episode of worst cooks. I lowered my expectations and the by doing so have made the show bearable again. One of the contestants almost tried to put out a grease fire by squirting it with more oil before a teammate stopped him.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ToastyPotato posted:

Well drat, I wish I hadn't googled that. I've not seen Hell's Kitchen but know the basic premise, but when I read that sentence I thought that they had done some CGI work to fake someone having bacon in their skillet to make their dish more appetizing.

I was really interested in seeing that :(

What I really love in reality shows is how they try to make it look like the "confessional" shots are filmed during the making of the episode, but sometimes the person doing the confessional has like 35 inches of roots compared to their freshly dyed hair at the time of the original filming.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I refuse to believe that the giant sideburn Worst Cook thought you made grilled cheese sandwiches by putting cheese slices on a grill.

That had to have been faked. Tell me it's not real.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
How can you live this long but have that much faith in people?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My dorm mate in college poured leftover lasagna in boiling water, because after all it was pasta. I don't take any cooking action for granted any more.

Yet, I will defend the grilled cheese business, only because when I worked at McDonald's in high school, they taught us to throw the slice of horrible American onto the grill for a few seconds to melt it up so that the horrible burgers tasted slightly fresh.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I'm gonna put a nice sear on this cheese :downs:

Also I'm glad the Texas jackass is gone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm gonna put a nice sear on this cheese :downs:

Also I'm glad the Texas jackass is gone.

The obnoxious guy is gone? Awesome, now I can watch again.

He was just that terrible that I had to stop watching...

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I refuse to believe that the giant sideburn Worst Cook thought you made grilled cheese sandwiches by putting cheese slices on a grill.

That had to have been faked. Tell me it's not real.

Okay so there was this time where I thought "Well hey grilled cheese is pretty good, maybe if I open face that poo poo on a panini with a harder cheese and some spices we'll really elevate it" and I was young and wrong as hell. Now judging by his hair situation I'd say he's got a few years on Me Back Then and I sure as poo poo wouldn't just put cheese on a griddle/grill like that and really this is ignoring his infantile food prep hygiene but I'm just saying. Everyone makes mistakes that are really annoying to clean up but it was insane that they pretended anyone else was going home.

Willie Degel's sole contribution was calling Aadip "Elvis" and he should have stayed home if he wasn't at least going to be entertaining.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Caught up on watching The Taste last night. My favorite part was when the big guy who got eliminated in the second contest said he was tired of being judged by "a leprechaun" (Malarky was wearing a green blazer that day) and "a guy who hasn't cooked in 20 years".

But this guy was the best.

Loved the Yale crest suspenders. Wished he'd stuck around.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

criscodisco posted:

Well drat, I wish I hadn't googled that. I've not seen Hell's Kitchen but know the basic premise, but when I read that sentence I thought that they had done some CGI work to fake someone having bacon in their skillet to make their dish more appetizing.

Can you link or spoiler what you found please? Every time I search CG bacon in Hell's Kitchen I get nothing that looks scandalous.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

He was a bail bondsman too :laugh:

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described
The worst part about the cheese on the grill thing was that there actually is a cheese you can put on a grill straight up, it's called halloumi and it is amazing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can you link or spoiler what you found please? Every time I search CG bacon in Hell's Kitchen I get nothing that looks scandalous.

I guess the HK threads are dead right now, but if there is an active Gordon Ramsey one up, you might be able to ask there, since I remember screenshots being posted when it happened. It was basically just a superimposed piece or two of bacon placed horribly into a skillet so that they had a shot to match Ramsay yelling about bacon or something. I can't remember.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, you guys all know he was from ABC's SMASH HIT "Glass House" correct?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Another night in a hotel for work and I flip the TV straight to a Chopped marathon. Seems like these things are always on. Has anybody ever had success with molecular gastronomy stuff on this show? Had anybody even survived a round where they attempted it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Timett posted:

Another night in a hotel for work and I flip the TV straight to a Chopped marathon. Seems like these things are always on. Has anybody ever had success with molecular gastronomy stuff on this show? Had anybody even survived a round where they attempted it?

I feel like Chopped judges are instructed to be extra prudish and nitpicky, as opposed to say, an Iron Chef judge.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like Chopped judges are instructed to be extra prudish and nitpicky, as opposed to say, an Iron Chef judge.

To quote a guy on another forum I go to

quote:

I just assume that everything is at such a level that they have no choice but to nitpick on the most minute details in order to separate the chefs. I actually kind of love that--someone being so good at what they do that even the tiniest, most insignificant oversight is the difference.

He was taking about Top Chef there but it might apply here.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
One thing to remember is that they have to keep some suspense in the choice. So a lot of the time it's probably an easier choice than it seems but they have to nick pick everything to make it seem even.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yeah, I assume they go top to bottom on every single little thing they can so there's plenty of material to use.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed before but the Chopped judges are much kinder when they're on other shows. This was most notable to me when Conant briefly had that Restaurant reality competition and when he judged the places he was often full of positive things to say and was very careful to put his complaints in a kind way.

Of course it could just be the dynamic. On Chopped these are high level, usually successful chefs and they have high expectations for them. It's okay to be cruel to them because they're supposed to be able to take it. It's not the same when it's some poor schlub who has found no success. Even on Chopped they are way kinder when the chefs are amateurs. Though then there's Worst Cooks, which is just the poorest of poor schlubs, but the point of the show is they're bad, so I guess it's expected for them to be yelled at.

Of course if you go to far they become nice again. If the chefs are Food Network personalities, they have to be nice to them because Food Network has alot invested in the idea that these are the best chefs in the world and anything that might break that illusion is probably frowned upon. The extreme of this is Rachel vs Guy where those celebs can't cook but the show needs to be nice to them to attract celebs for future season, so they go real easy on their lovely food. The funniest part of Gilbert Gottfried making peanut butter sandwiches might have been that they complimented him on both of them.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Thank you Food Network for tagging a Chopped rerun as "new" and wasting my DVR space.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Thank you Food Network for tagging a Chopped rerun as "new" and wasting my DVR space.

I haven't seen this one, I feel like I'd remember a gal burning caramel 3 times but who knows!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's because they've started airing them on Sunday then again on Tuesday, and calling them "new" both times.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I haven't seen this one, I feel like I'd remember a gal burning caramel 3 times but who knows!

Did you know her entire family is in Puerto Rico?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Did you know her entire family is in Puerto Rico?

I hope you pronounced that correctly!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

They tagged that episode as "new"? I saw that when I got cable back a month or so ago. It was a part of yet another Chopped marathon so I don't think it was new.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

ThermoPhysical posted:

They tagged that episode as "new"? I saw that when I got cable back a month or so ago. It was a part of yet another Chopped marathon so I don't think it was new.

They ran it around a month or so ago as a "sneak peek" at the new season of Chopped. Last night was, I guess, the official premiere of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Worst Cooks is an awful show. They've got a vegetarian on there, but don't show him any vegetarian dishes? They've got a guy that's dairy-free, but make him taste food with dairy in it, causing him to get sick? I mean I get that trainwreck TV is popular because we're a horrible country, but for gently caress sake...

• Locked thread