Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

danbanana posted:

Love this. Definitely one of the more complex ba'd stouts you can find.

A day mostly by myself meant catching up on things in my to-drink pile. Very much enjoyed Simtra. Came off as a something between a midwest DIPA and the Ruination anniversary beer. The booze burn on the back end wasn't ideal, though.

Then had my first Sea Monster and wasn't overly impressed. Pretty standard dry-er imperial stout, with big roast flavor. Definitely not on the level of Stone's or Ten Fidy for me but doesn't have the anise taste that Founders' and Expedition seem to have.

Nobody I know really likes Sea Monster. I can't honestly explain to you why that's one of their seasonals. The barrel aged version was pretty good but they never put that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Finally got a non-expired Enjoy By and it's pretty dang nice.

Docjowles posted:

It's only happened for me a couple times but I've had a few beers where I could write a pretty lengthy list of flavor/aroma descriptors that kept changing as the beer warmed and I picked out new characteristics. Most recent was Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery. It's a bourbon barrel-aged stout at something absurd like 18% ABV and there is a LOT going on. Firestone's Anniversary is a blend of a shitload of different barrel-aged beers so it's not unreasonable to find a lot of complexity in there, too.

And yeah I'd agree that a lot of the flavors necessarily go together. I don't think it's out of line to list everything you pick up, though.

Something to consider is that a lot of complex flavors are found in aged alcohol so a higher ABV beer (or wine, for that matter) will form a lot more compounds that are reminiscent of lots of things when it's been aged a bit.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Did a great beer tasting at a friends over the weekend and many great beers, and a few weird ones, were had.

Toppling Goliath, a 7% "IPA" beer aged in Templeton Rye barrels. IPA is a really loose definition, but an English IPA is probably the closest definition you'll get to the base beer. This light (both abv and color/character) of a beer in a barrel usually doesn't work, but they put together a pretty interesting package with a restrained hand in the barrel aging. Lots of wood tannins, spicy rye and light vanilla on something slightly dry but with a little bit of sweetness and herbal hop character. Interesting combination that stands out as being fairly unique, though not in the realm of mind blowing. Great label!

Cigar City / Mikkeller Swinging Harry Tropical Quad featuring papaya, mango, simcoe and citra hops and aged in grand marnier barrels with brett C. This sounds like a totally insane beer that is all over the place but in reality the fruit and crazy hops and weird barrel end up being really subtle and complimentary. A touch of tropical character here, a hint of orange there, but mostly all delicious brown sugar quad.
The base quad style is a little on the less dark and rich side of say Gulden Draak which was somehow the right place for all the other fruit and hops to come in, all in all it was actually really enjoyable. The old school Pitfall! video game inspired label is sweet.

I picked this up in 2009 at Holiday Wine Cellar before heading over to the Stone Bistro for Sour Fest. I figured at 8% this wasn't going to age well much longer so what the hell. Somehwat dry big-ish American porter with some subtle dark chocolate notes and a nice balance of wood and vanilla. Pretty solid.

Coffee, Fig, Coconut Oatmeal Stout. While this sounds like it should be divine I didn't dig it for two reasons. One is that this is one of those stouts that is super dry and super super ashy, with very little sweetness or malt character to balance. The other is that it smells and tastes like burnt coffee. I couldn't get any fig, coconut or oatmeal character and didn't get very far before giving up on this incredibly astringent ashy beer.

I dug out my Cigar City Humidor Imperial Stout, which I believe was the 2009 bottling. I've been looking forward to drinking this beer as a bottle of 2009 Marshall Zhukov was the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had and I was not disappointed. Outstanding port/sherry aged character, hefty malt sweetness, dark chocolate truffles, fig and date and a big rich mouthfeel are very uniquely complimented by the cedar aging time. The cedar is at once both sharp and slightly savory, keeping the sweetness in check and spinning a fantastic beer in a really unique direction. Just really blown away by how awesome this beer is, and I have to say it ties with my previous 2009 Marshall Zhukov experience as Best Imperial Stout.

This Cantillon Mamouche is a really, really odd beer. Its like someone made a salad and crammed it into a Cantillon sour, lots of vegetal and pickled asparagus like character dominates a pretty sour gueze base, with a touch of dandelions in the finish. I dug on it for a little bit but ultimately couldn't finish my sample.

We opened this beer after arguing a little bit about what makes an Old Ale different than a barleywine or a stout. This beer is pretty close but still falls a little closer to a barleywine. Great sweet fig character, a touch of dark malt on top of lots of vanilla and wood. Sweet but just shy of being too cloying. Pretty fantastic.

The big daddy of the Bourbon County Stout varients. Aged in Pappy 23 barrels for 2 years this Bourbon County Stout variant is really a notch or two better than your standard BCS. Outstanding bourbon, vanilla and wood character on top of sublime dark chocolate truffles and roast. Not much more to say other than yes, this beer is THAT good.

The final beer of the tasting worked well as a palate cleanser. I have a bottle of this, and the special version with peaches on the way and I am pretty excited to be landing some. A very solid amber gueze-style sour with a really delicious rye kick. Dry, sour and then a rye pepper spice with a little soft oak in the background. Really unique and delicious, wish I hadn't missed out on it last year.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
After a long weekend in Vail, I'll be in Denver, with a car for a few hours today, and would really like to go see one or two breweries before heading out. Any that are can't miss? I know there are a few out here that have distribution to San Diego, so I'd like to skip those, and try something I've never had before. I heard from a few people say Breckenridge is pretty good... BA for their beers seems like it might be more run of the mill though.

Edit: or any other beers I should try and pick up locally at a liquor store?

Capt. Awesome fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 4, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Capt. Awesome posted:

After a long weekend in Vail, I'll be in Denver, with a car for a few hours today, and would really like to go see one or two breweries before heading out. Any that are can't miss? I know there are a few out here that have distribution to San Diego, so I'd like to skip those, and try something I've never had before. I heard from a few people say Breckenridge is pretty good... BA for their beers seems like it might be more run of the mill though.

Edit: or any other beers I should try and pick up locally at a liquor store?

http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Someone do a Denver entry, quick!

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Haha, funny thing is, I was catching up on the weekend posts and was like "Oh poo poo! A wiki! I hope someone did Denver already!" Nope :(

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

High priority to me would be: http://www.crookedstave.com/

Great Divide's space downtown is pretty cool too. Favorite beer bar there was Vine Street. For stores, I liked Argonaut and Colorado Liquor Mart.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Capt. Awesome posted:

Haha, funny thing is, I was catching up on the weekend posts and was like "Oh poo poo! A wiki! I hope someone did Denver already!" Nope :(

I plan to (unless someone else is already working on it), but I just bought a house and that is kind of taking up all my time v:v:v

Seconding everything air- said. You can have a pretty great afternoon stumbling between Great Divide, Breckenridge, Falling Rock Tap House, 1-Up (old school video game bar with a lot of good beer available) and Wynkoop. Crooked Stave is a quick drive or bus ride from that area. I'd add Dry Dock in Aurora but it's not really near anything else.

Or take the car up to Boulder and do Avery, Mountain Sun and Boulder Beer. Oskar Blues and Left Hand are a little further out in Longmont. My totally biased recommendation is to come up to the Fort Collins/Loveland area where I live as we have an embarrassment of brewing riches here, but it's like an hour each way and probably more driving than you want to do.

There's also a LOT of new little breweries in Denver but I haven't been to many of them personally. I can vouch that Strange and Prost are both good.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 4, 2013

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yeah, and everything Docjowles said that is "downtown" or I guess "LoDo" if I recall correctly is all within a 10-15 minute ish walk. You can knock out a ton since it's all so closeby.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I have now written lots and lots of words about Bend for the purposes of our little wiki.

I started a skeleton for a page about Philly, if anyone else wants to add to it.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Found myself up in NOVA 5 minutes from a Total Wine yet again, so I stocked up on Boulevard beers, snagged another Belgian Yeti (:fap:), and decided on a whim to pick up the Barrel Aged Gonzo. Didn't have a price tag, but I figured it wasn't going to be that bad.

$18 later and I'm a little suspicious, especially since I haven't seen this before. People seem to dig it on RB and I think the base beer's alright. Anyone give this a shot before?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I plan to (unless someone else is already working on it), but I just bought a house and that is kind of taking up all my time v:v:v

Seconding everything air- said. You can have a pretty great afternoon stumbling between Great Divide, Breckenridge, Falling Rock Tap House, 1-Up (old school video game bar with a lot of good beer available) and Wynkoop. Crooked Stave is a quick drive or bus ride from that area. I'd add Dry Dock in Aurora but it's not really near anything else.

Or take the car up to Boulder and do Avery, Mountain Sun and Boulder Beer. Oskar Blues and Left Hand are a little further out in Longmont. My totally biased recommendation is to come up to the Fort Collins/Loveland area where I live as we have an embarrassment of brewing riches here, but it's like an hour each way and probably more driving than you want to do.

There's also a LOT of new little breweries in Denver but I haven't been to many of them personally. I can vouch that Strange and Prost are both good.

A short car ride in Denver should also bring you to Bull and Bush which has some pretty good beers as well as their "hop infuser" which is a french press with an assortment of hops you infuse at your table. Furthermore there is Denver Off the Wagon that has a lot of good information about beer events in the city on any given day. I would make an entry, but I'm not too good at "Wiki" writing, and I don't live there anymore.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Found myself up in NOVA 5 minutes from a Total Wine yet again, so I stocked up on Boulevard beers, snagged another Belgian Yeti (:fap:), and decided on a whim to pick up the Barrel Aged Gonzo. Didn't have a price tag, but I figured it wasn't going to be that bad.

$18 later and I'm a little suspicious, especially since I haven't seen this before. People seem to dig it on RB and I think the base beer's alright. Anyone give this a shot before?

The stuff is everywhere in Frederick (home of Flying Dog) and it goes for around $8 for a 12oz bottle, a little steep. It's good though, adds the usual barrel notes to an already good imperial porter. After having one I'd sooner just buy the regular at $3 a bottle.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Radio Nowhere posted:

The stuff is everywhere in Frederick (home of Flying Dog) and it goes for around $8 for a 12oz bottle, a little steep. It's good though, adds the usual barrel notes to an already good imperial porter. After having one I'd sooner just buy the regular at $3 a bottle.

i'd agree with that, although i don't recall it ever coming in 12oz bottles. it was near-impossible to find in Richmond for the last few years, but i've seen it in a few shops recently.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

rage-saq posted:

I dug out my Cigar City Humidor Imperial Stout, which I believe was the 2009 bottling. I've been looking forward to drinking this beer as a bottle of 2009 Marshall Zhukov was the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had and I was not disappointed. Outstanding port/sherry aged character, hefty malt sweetness, dark chocolate truffles, fig and date and a big rich mouthfeel are very uniquely complimented by the cedar aging time. The cedar is at once both sharp and slightly savory, keeping the sweetness in check and spinning a fantastic beer in a really unique direction. Just really blown away by how awesome this beer is, and I have to say it ties with my previous 2009 Marshall Zhukov experience as Best Imperial Stout.

That one was bottled in December 2011. Any CCB beer with the die-cut cigar band label was bottled no earlier than around May of '11.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I scored 4 bottles of Black Note tonight, as well as another bottle of Enjoy By. I also got the chance to try 08 Expedition, which was unbelievably good. 'Twas a good beer night, my friends.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
A guy I know is flying all the way to Florida just to get a bottle of Hunapu's. And then flying back. :stare:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

That one was bottled in December 2011. Any CCB beer with the die-cut cigar band label was bottled no earlier than around May of '11.

Ah, well, make more of this! (or trade a bottle or two with me) This beer is really really incredible.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

A guy I know is flying all the way to Florida just to get a bottle of Hunapu's. And then flying back. :stare:

I'm driving from Ann Arbor Michigan. Granted, my girlfriend and I are staying with my grandparents (in Palmetto, 40 minutes from Cigar City Brewing) and we plan on going to Universal Studios Island of Adventures, but the trip was planned to coincide with Hunahpu Day. Cigar City is my favorite brewery and I can't wait for the 120+ taps, including J. Wakefield beers (Dragonfruit and Passionfruit Berliner!).

Hey Girl Kisser, can we get any hints as to what will be on tap?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

I bet it's a fun time regardless, but if you're going strictly for the release of the bottles, set up a trade for God's sake. I'm getting a Hunahpu and a Saint Somewhere saison for some Alesmith stuff. Keeps me honest to my lifelong pledge to stay out of Florida.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I'm heading to Jungle Jim's this weekend, and I'm looking for some input on what kind of international beers I should toss in my cart. I mostly enjoy porters, wheat beers and gimmicky ales (pumpkin, chocolate, coconut, etc), and haven't jumped on the IPA train yet. Anybody have any favorites that I should try?

vvv I'm going to the Fairfield one, I guess I'll have to brave the disarray.

Millions fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 5, 2013

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Millions posted:

I'm heading to Jungle Jim's this weekend, and I'm looking for some input on what kind of international beers I should toss in my cart. I mostly enjoy porters, wheat beers and gimmicky ales (pumpkin, chocolate, coconut, etc), and haven't jumped on the IPA train yet. Anybody have any favorites that I should try?

Which JJ's are you going to? If you haven't been to the new one in Eastgate, it has a much better beer section on top of a growler fill station.

I don't think they have any more selection or anything, their beer section just isn't a clusterfuck like Fairfield's.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

I bet it's a fun time regardless, but if you're going strictly for the release of the bottles, set up a trade for God's sake. I'm getting a Hunahpu and a Saint Somewhere saison for some Alesmith stuff. Keeps me honest to my lifelong pledge to stay out of Florida.

Apparently this guy is already a trading fiend. I guess the reason he even told me about this (I heard it through another friend) is because he's strongly itching to use that bottle on Hunapu's at a bottle share/tasting I was thinking of doing and he knows I still have 5 bottles of Westvleteren XII. :lol: I never even mentioned the Westy when I suggested the share.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm driving from Ann Arbor Michigan. Granted, my girlfriend and I are staying with my grandparents (in Palmetto, 40 minutes from Cigar City Brewing) and we plan on going to Universal Studios Island of Adventures, but the trip was planned to coincide with Hunahpu Day. Cigar City is my favorite brewery and I can't wait for the 120+ taps, including J. Wakefield beers (Dragonfruit and Passionfruit Berliner!).

I will be flying from Rochester NY for hunahpus day. Should be a great time, plus I have a free place to stay in Ybor and a jeep to use freely. Not a bad weekend vacation!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

Apparently this guy is already a trading fiend. I guess the reason he even told me about this (I heard it through another friend) is because he's strongly itching to use that bottle on Hunapu's at a bottle share/tasting I was thinking of doing and he knows I still have 5 bottles of Westvleteren XII. :lol: I never even mentioned the Westy when I suggested the share.

It'd be a real shame if you never pulled those Westies out for him.

"What, I never said they were going to be opened today!"

Kinda bummed we don't really have these big sorts of events around here for a single beer release. Stone's got their Oakquinox events and things like that, but Hunahpu day, Dark Lord Day, etc, that's just a great time to bottle share with randos for hours. Not necessarily the sort of thing where you *must* spend $35-70 to get a bunch of small tasters.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

HumanCropcircle posted:

Seriously? I'd definitely be willing to trade for a bottle of Parabola.

Sent you a PM.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

Kinda bummed we don't really have these big sorts of events around here for a single beer release. Stone's got their Oakquinox events and things like that, but Hunahpu day, Dark Lord Day, etc, that's just a great time to bottle share with randos for hours. Not necessarily the sort of thing where you *must* spend $35-70 to get a bunch of small tasters.

I've never been to any of the big releases, but even smaller ones usually have this. I was at Flossmoor Station's Barrel-Aged HiFi Rye release last year and even though there were only 150 or so people there, there was lots of bottle sharing going on. Even once they let us in the brewpub, they allowed it to keep going.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How about a little better than a hint:

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=47&Itemid=37

That list is the epitome of :stare:.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hunahpu Day Taplist went up:

https://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=47&Itemid=37

Cigar City Bourbon Barrel-aged Cherry Cordial Imperial Sweet Stout :fap:

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
Really excited for those J wakefield berliners

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Realized that in my beerdrinking career I've been to one Younger tapping and that's about it for nerdy beer launches. Unless you count Saint Arnold but nobody out of TX cares. My philosophy is that there's so much good beer around even in regular days that I can't be arsed to schedule my travel around special days.

Meanwhile Boneyard puts out Notorious which is better than Younger, unannounced, and the result is just a fun little soiree in the brewery parking lot in the weekend. I wonder if it's being consumed at the same clip as Younger right now over in Portland.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Realized that in my beerdrinking career I've been to one Younger tapping and that's about it for nerdy beer launches. Unless you count Saint Arnold but nobody out of TX cares. My philosophy is that there's so much good beer around even in regular days that I can't be arsed to schedule my travel around special days.

Meanwhile Boneyard puts out Notorious which is better than Younger, unannounced, and the result is just a fun little soiree in the brewery parking lot in the weekend. I wonder if it's being consumed at the same clip as Younger right now over in Portland.

After going to the debacle that was the CFH release this year (line capping out at 4:45 AM) and doing the retardedness that are PtY releases in SoCal, I'm pretty much in the same camp as never doing special beer releases without doing a ticketed system. Alesmith's usage of Brown Paper Tickets for their special releases is something that I can get behind because there is minimal time wasted and one is guaranteed a release. The downside is that there aren't any of the bottle shares that usually spring up around such events. The counter to bottle sharing, however, is to go to a general ticketed beer festival, much like FSW's annual show and experience great tastings there.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Just had some Nugget Nectar on cask for the first time in a couple years. It's ok, but basically the same as in the bottle with less carbonation (from a freshly tapped cask no less). I'd be in heaven if they could get some serious dry hops in there. I know they've done it before (and I was equally unimpressed, but also at a hellish venue), but this time it appears to be straight NN. It was still delicious (I love this beer) and surprisingly cheap as poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

California breweries don't do hype releases very often. At least not overboard super exclusive party launches.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

California breweries don't do hype releases very often. At least not overboard super exclusive party launches.

Speaking of hype releases, I confirmed at Lost Abbey that they'll be releasing DDG this year, sometime in August! I hope they do a BPT release instead of a line-up-at-the-brewery release. Given the recent trend, if it's the latter, people will line up multiple days in advance. :suicide:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

Speaking of hype releases, I confirmed at Lost Abbey that they'll be releasing DDG this year, sometime in August! I hope they do a BPT release instead of a line-up-at-the-brewery release. Given the recent trend, if it's the latter, people will line up multiple days in advance. :suicide:

I don't' think they have picked up on the BPT thing yet for bottle releases.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Word. :chord::respek::smug:

I know I'm doing my part to drink as much Notorious as possible right now. More of it is being consumed here in Portland than PtY simply because more places are getting Notorious and in bigger kegs than PtY.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm drinking Victory's new Spring seasonal Swing. It's a 4.5% saison and holy poo poo it's good. This reminds me of a more tart and lemon Helios with less funk. I am getting a lot of lemon, almost like sucking a lemon, with some leather and spice. My only complaint is that they released this too early. I want this in the hot weather, not when snow is coming.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
This weak rear end snow storm is a good excuse to open a Big Hugs. Another coffee stout better than Speedway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I sent you a note about setting a tour up in May... any thoughts? :)