Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

coyo7e posted:

She's the queen's will manifest, she rolls with an Ototaral sword, and orders Talons around because of her position. Why would she need to be a member and receive that training? The previous person in her position was also merrily ordering around Talons as she liked.

Talons != Claw

The Claw was Lasseen's group, the Talon was Dancer's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
After Karsa meets the Edur Does he fight Rhulad at the end of Bonehunters or during Reapers Gale? I've read both but can't remember the timing although I'm thinking Reapers Gale

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Scott Bakula posted:

After Karsa meets the Edur Does he fight Rhulad at the end of Bonehunters or during Reapers Gale? I've read both but can't remember the timing although I'm thinking Reapers Gale
You are correct.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oh Snapple! posted:

Talons != Claw

The Claw was Lasseen's group, the Talon was Dancer's.
Oh poo poo my bad. :blush:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its interesting reading through these again seeing ideas possibly taken from Terry Pratchett. In particular the way gods become gods but also how Tehol became so rich as a child. I've no idea if thats where he got the inspiration but Pratchett really had some fantastic ideas for a fantasy world I'm glad to see elsewhere

Is there any actual difference between the Tarthenal and Theloman Toblakai?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Scott Bakula posted:

Is there any actual difference between the Tarthenal and Theloman Toblakai?
Yes, the Tarthenal are one of the fallen/bastardized lineages of the Thel Akai, along with those Faread and the uhh, other F tribe.

Occasionally there are "pureblood" throwbacks, like that dude who held his breath for the execution sentence, whatshisface that was banging those gigantess women and bitch-slapping undead Thel Akai criminals.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 1, 2013

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Yes, the Tarthenal are one of the fallen/bastardized lineages of the Thel Akai, along with those Faread and the uhh, other F tribe.

Occasionally there are "pureblood" throwbacks, like that dude who held his breath for the execution sentence, whatshisface that was banging those gigantess women and bitch-slapping undead Thel Akai criminals.

I get the impression that all TTT flavors are fallen with occasional throwbacks. This includes the Teblor.

Just look at Karsa's stupid grandpa

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Agreed, saw no reason to mention Karsa, at least the teblor hill tribes aren't nearly as bad as the Letherii's slave tribes.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Agreed, saw no reason to mention Karsa, at least the teblor hill tribes aren't nearly as bad as the Letherii's slave tribes.

The only reason the Uryd aren't slaves is that Silgar hadn't gotten around to it yet

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

The only reason the Uryd aren't slaves is that Silgar hadn't gotten around to it yet

Karsa mentions that the Uryd are the most pure blooded of the Reboot tribes, with the tribe that we see subjugated being the most diluted.

The original TTT's, based on either HoC or BH, were iirc 2-3 times the height of a man (vs Karsa at about 1.5, and Ublala described as being slightly shorter).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Also, given when the ideas for this world would have had to originate, I don't know that they borrowed anything from Pratchett. Their take on the creation/decline of Gods (and likewise Pratchett's) is not unique in theology or literature.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

Karsa mentions that the Uryd are the most pure blooded of the Reboot tribes, with the tribe that we see subjugated being the most diluted.

The original TTT's, based on either HoC or BH, were iirc 2-3 times the height of a man (vs Karsa at about 1.5, and Ublala described as being slightly shorter).

At thIs point I think a deathmatch between Katsa and Ublalalalathefuck could go either way

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just got into the stuff in House of Chains with returning characters from Deadhouse Gates and I'm a bit confused about Felisin. Spoilered just in case. The first Heboric chapter implies there are two Felisin's and I'm not sure what's going on there. I guess I'm kind of fuzzy where exactly Felisin ended up after the Sha'ik stuff. Are there actually two Felisin's or is it just a pre-Sha'ik Felisin and post-Sha'ik Felisin type of deal.

Also the Karsa stuff was incredible. It was very refreshing to have a more focused story line after Memories of Ice. That book was all over the place, but in a good way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Felisin: There are indeed two Felisins. There's Felisin Paran from Deadhouse Gates who has become Sha'ik by the end of that book, and Felisin the Younger, iirc an orphan among the Followers of the Apocalypse, who the new Sha'ik takes under her wing.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Are there any more books in the series that continue the story of Karsa? I was really expecting more than his role in TCG, and I would like to see him destroy civilization like he vowed. I really came to like him through the series after not being sure about him when he was first introduced. He was one of the characters with a lot of depth.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

pakman posted:

Are there any more books in the series that continue the story of Karsa? I was really expecting more than his role in TCG, and I would like to see him destroy civilization like he vowed. I really came to like him through the series after not being sure about him when he was first introduced. He was one of the characters with a lot of depth.

Erikson said he plans on doing a trilogy featuring Karsa in this blog post.

Thanks for the clear-up with regards to Felisin, The Ninth Layer. I didn't recall how that situation played out much at all.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

At thIs point I think a deathmatch between Katsa and Ublalalalathefuck could go either way

Oh give me a break, Karsa would tear him in half.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Erikson said he plans on doing a trilogy featuring Karsa in this blog post.
Yes and I can't wait to WITNESS what happens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd completely forgotten who one of the main characters in Reapers Gale is. I'm quite pleased he's reappeared.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Mr Teatime posted:

I still think it refers to Felisin, her death at her own sisters hand was both completely meaningless and tragic and the little things that occurred which prevented the rescue her sister had originally planner from happening stinks of 'luck'.

I don't want to be all "nope" or whatever especially with this series when definitive answers are hard to come by, but I'm pretty sure the person who the twins kill is one of Ganoes' parents, who dies off screen sometime before book 2. And then the other one suicides because of grief, leaving Tavore as the senior member of the family with hard choices to make. To me, it's the only thing that fits the timing; every other candidate is just way too far removed time-wise.
But who knows, really.
Edit:
All the "luck" you mentioned struck me more like the whirlwind/shadow/fener/whoever interfering, rather than the twins. If their luck was lord/bad they'd just have died, if it was lady/good they'd have been fine. Instead it kept switching over and over like someone who wanted them alive but emotionally beaten down.

vmdvr fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 2, 2013

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Stonewielder spoilers.

Dunsparrow was the female general of the army featuring the Toblaki-descended guy right?

Orb Scepter Throne spoilers.

This book is terrible and just seems to be making GBS threads all over Erikson at this point.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ed balls balls man posted:

Stonewielder spoilers.
Dunsparrow was the female general of the army featuring the Toblaki-descended guy right?
Bonehunters spoilers:
Dunsparrow was the captain of the City Guard in Y'Ghatan. When Leoman arrived and took the city over, the two became the best of buddies. As the city burned both of them fled to the Queen of Dreams' realm.
She's also Whiskeyjack's sister and belonged to Hood for some reason that I don't recall. Whiskeyjack & Fiddler stole her away from Hood's temple.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Bonehunters spoilers:
Dunsparrow was the captain of the City Guard in Y'Ghatan. When Leoman arrived and took the city over, the two became the best of buddies. As the city burned both of them fled to the Queen of Dreams' realm.
She's also Whiskeyjack's sister and belonged to Hood for some reason that I don't recall. Whiskeyjack & Fiddler stole her away from Hood's temple.

You haven't read Stonewielder, have you?

ed balls: I hadn't considered the possibility, but it's a good fit. Odd that she'd choose to fight against the Malazans' enemies though.

Also, Orb Sceptre Throne: it really isn't that bad, but it does make the quality of ICE's prose look particularly bad when he uses Erikson's characters.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You haven't read Stonewielder, have you?
No, I haven't. I thought balls couldn't remember who Dunsparrow was.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It is kind of daunting to re-read this series because it takes up two entire levels on my bookshelves. But it must be done. Goodbye, six months!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I must have missed it but how much time is supposed to have passed betwen Midnight Tides and Reapers Gale?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
My guess would be between two and five years.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It is kind of daunting to re-read this series because it takes up two entire levels on my bookshelves. But it must be done. Goodbye, six months!

Whenever I feel like rereading anything Malazan, I just pick whichever novel of the series that appeals to me the most at the time instead of starting the whole series from the very beginning and reading them in order. I think I've read Midnight Tides the most times out of all the books. I've also read the first part of House of Chains that follows Karsa a bunch of times without reading that whole novel.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Currently reading Memories of Ice and there's basically one long exposition sequence between Whiskeyjack and Dujek about the events in GotM, and it really strikes me as Erickson trying to retcon things he set up in his first book.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zeitgueist posted:

Currently reading Memories of Ice and there's basically one long exposition sequence between Whiskeyjack and Dujek about the events in GotM, and it really strikes me as Erickson trying to retcon things he set up in his first book.

Well there was a huge gap in the writing and publishing between the first and second books; Erikson went to writing schools and learned a lot, as the quality between Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates seems pretty apparent. After the second one the books pretty much came out like clockwork nearly every year.

From wikipedia for Gardens of the Moon

quote:

Although published in 1999, the novel was written in 1991–1992, eight years before the rest of the series and a number of minor inconsistencies can be found between this volume and the following.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So continuing through Reapers Gale and with Icarium is his rage being so powerful explained as him being a half blood Toblakai and it being its own warren or is it just left for people to suspect as much?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scott Bakula posted:

So continuing through Reapers Gale and with Icarium is his rage being so powerful explained as him being a half blood Toblakai and it being its own warren or is it just left for people to suspect as much?
There are tidbits here and there that hint at what Icarium is.
Bonehunters:
“It is less a curse,” he finally said, “than a … residue. The death of an Azath House releases all manner of forces, energies -- not just those belonging to the denizens in their earthen tombs. There is, burned into Icarium’s soul, something like an infection, or, perhaps, a parasite. Its nature is chaos, and the effect is one of discontinuity. It defies progression, of thought, of spirit, of life itself. Mappo, that infection must be expunged, if you would save Icarium.”
And from Crippled God:
But Icarium is an open wound into Chaos itself. When his self shatters, when his so-called rage is unleashed, he is but a conduit, a portalway. This is why he cannot be stopped – he is not even there.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Raygereio posted:

There are tidbits here and there that hint at what Icarium is.
Bonehunters:
“It is less a curse,” he finally said, “than a … residue. The death of an Azath House releases all manner of forces, energies -- not just those belonging to the denizens in their earthen tombs. There is, burned into Icarium’s soul, something like an infection, or, perhaps, a parasite. Its nature is chaos, and the effect is one of discontinuity. It defies progression, of thought, of spirit, of life itself. Mappo, that infection must be expunged, if you would save Icarium.”
And from Crippled God:
But Icarium is an open wound into Chaos itself. When his self shatters, when his so-called rage is unleashed, he is but a conduit, a portalway. This is why he cannot be stopped – he is not even there.

There's an explanation somewhere but i don't really remember but sum it up. Gothos (Iccys dad) decided that he needed to do some stuff with the Azath. Icarium didn't understand the Jaghut lack of emotion for family and though dad had been imprisoned so attacked and destroyed an Azath House, releasing all the forces that have crippled him

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Full series spoiler regarding Icarium and stuff he weakened the warren, it was shattered by the first empire before the tlan imass killed them. We learn this from for example Treach via Gruntle. The glass desert were poo poo happened

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Was there any reasoning behind (House of Chains character names) Crokus and Fiddler getting new names in House of Chains? It made sense in the story, but felt kind of tacked on, I guess.

Also, :hellyeah: scorpion battles.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Crokus: Crokus is a love-struck young adult that wants to come off a lot cooler than he is and impress his girlfriend. He grew up around legend assassins like Rallick Nom and is now traveling full time with one. His name is supposed o be silly.

Fiddler: Fiddler's name changed so he could stay incognito for as long as he could. He's a former Bridgeburnre, officially outlaws of the Empire, and he already has a reputation as one of the Empire's foremost sappers. He still wants to serve with the Malazan army but he doesn't want to be the new Whiskeyjack with people looking to him for leadership and answers.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The plot lines that spurred the name changes seemed kind of unnecessary, though. Like Erikson was tired of writing Crokus and Fiddler or something. I don't know, it just struck me as strange.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So I was quick on the draw and won a free copy of blood and bone from tor.com http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/blood-and-bone-sweepstakes . I didn't want to tell them I have the PSPublishing special edition, heh. It's kinda stuipd that in 2013 we still have staggered regional launches.

Does anyone else collect malazan stuff? I'm pretty stupid and am picking up ARCs, UK and US 1st editions at this point, as well as all the subterranean and PSPublishing specials. His poo poo is surprisingly hard to come by!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
More MoI art hot off the presses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

apophenium posted:

Was there any reasoning behind (House of Chains character names) Crokus and Fiddler getting new names in House of Chains? It made sense in the story, but felt kind of tacked on, I guess.

Also, :hellyeah: scorpion battles.

Erikson has a thing for names. Tool has his name change, Anomander Rake has about a dozen variations of his name, Karsa Orlong is called Toblakai for most of a book. He seems to view names as being malleable in that they vary in location and time.