Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pigasus posted:

What are your opinions on the Vibram FiveFingers? I have friends recommending those too.

I run exclusively in Vibram FiveFingers but I can't really recommend them for hiking.

They offer no ankle support, and you will definitely feel it if you hike any sort of elevation gains. Unless you have the Trek model, most of the small rocks on trails can actually be pretty painful. They're also incredibly slick on wet surfaces.

I have the KSOs by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

khysanth posted:

I run exclusively in Vibram FiveFingers but I can't really recommend them for hiking.

They offer no ankle support, and you will definitely feel it if you hike any sort of elevation gains. Unless you have the Trek model, most of the small rocks on trails can actually be pretty painful. They're also incredibly slick on wet surfaces.

I have the KSOs by the way.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm guessing they wouldn't be good for a Warrior Dash then. The entire track is muddy and full of sticks and rocks and off road running.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm guessing they wouldn't be good for a Warrior Dash then. The entire track is muddy and full of sticks and rocks and off road running.

If you are not used to minimalist running shoes, you should avoid just jumping in a pair and going for a normal run. They take quite a bit of transition and will wreck you if you just strap em on and do what you were before. Even if you're in running shape.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

If you are not used to minimalist running shoes, you should avoid just jumping in a pair and going for a normal run. They take quite a bit of transition and will wreck you if you just strap em on and do what you were before. Even if you're in running shape.

Thanks for this. I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of New Balance MT20s, but I'll just get some regular ones instead.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there an (affordable) space heater that can be programmed to turn on at certain times of the day? It's incredibly hard to get up in the mornings when the room is so cold. If I can get something to turn on half an hour before my alarm goes off, that would be awesome.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...51#.USzDWzC0J8E

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A coworker is leaving the company to travel through South America for a year, and we got out of him that he doesn't have a nice knife. Since he'll be on a bicycle, I thought a multi tool could be useful, especially something bike-focused (if such a thing exists), though I'd take recommendations for folding or fixed blade knives too. The budget is about $100.

Any suggestions? I've had a multi-tool myself for years, but just don't know what's good nowadays. Feel free to give several recommendations as some brands just aren't widely available locally (like Gerber for example).

Edit: While Gerber knives aren't widely available, there are a few places that seem to have a rather comprehensive subset.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Feb 26, 2013

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Avocados posted:

Is there an (affordable) space heater that can be programmed to turn on at certain times of the day? It's incredibly hard to get up in the mornings when the room is so cold. If I can get something to turn on half an hour before my alarm goes off, that would be awesome.

http://goo.gl/i6H2R - I have this one, and it's supposed to do that. I haven't actually tested it since I wasn't sure if the heater cuts completely off after that or not. The manual say it has a morning and evening timer, so two of them to play with.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

A coworker is leaving the company to travel through South America for a year, and we got out of him that he doesn't have a nice knife. Since he'll be on a bicycle, I thought a multi tool could be useful, especially something bike-focused (if such a thing exists), though I'd take recommendations for folding or fixed blade knives too. The budget is about $100.

Any suggestions? I've had a multi-tool myself for years, but just don't know what's good nowadays. Feel free to give several recommendations as some brands just aren't widely available locally (like Gerber for example).

Edit: While Gerber knives aren't widely available, there are a few places that seem to have a rather comprehensive subset.

There are plenty of bike specific multitools out there - Park and Lezyne make very good ones.

I would recommend an Opinel or a Mora knife. You could get an excellent bike tool and two or three Opinels or Moras for well under $100.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gilgameshback posted:

There are plenty of bike specific multitools out there - Park and Lezyne make very good ones.

I would recommend an Opinel or a Mora knife. You could get an excellent bike tool and two or three Opinels or Moras for well under $100.

Thanks! I had a look at Park and Lezyne tools, and those might be a bit too bike specific, I'd assume he has the basic bike tools and was thinking more of a backup as part of a more general multi tool. Opinel knives look great though so that could definitely be part of the gift set.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Analytic Engine posted:

I need to fill out my linen set's empty pillowcase, so I want another Queen size pillow. I would buy off any reputable store.

Amazon doesn't have a lot of reviews for pillows and I'm not super picky, but I want to get something that isn't memory foam.

I would go up $60 for a "how did I never know about this" or $15 for a generic solution.

Thanks
JC Penny has decent pillows for good prices. Whatever the soft exterior ones with the big blue stripes are very beefy and comfy.

Read After Burning posted:

If you enjoy the smell of grapefruit, Old Spice's new Wolfthorn deodorant/body wash scent is pretty nice..I can't speak for the body spray, I don't use it.

On a side note, you'd think these folks out here in Santa Cruz county, CA have seen weirder things than a woman purchasing body products meant "for men", but I always seem to get awkward glances when I go into Target to grab more. Grapefruit smells awesome and I can't find any other grapefruit antiperspirant or soap that I prefer to these. :colbert:

Every woman I have ever been with/slept with has commented on how good my combination of grapefruit bodywash and Axe Chocolate bodyspray smells. Axe/Lynx tend to make terrible things, but that Chocolate stuff does smell awesome (nothing like Chocolate however). They also used to make a great citrus smelling body scrub called Snakeskin that I can no longer find around here.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

El Estrago Bonito posted:

JC Penny has decent pillows for good prices. Whatever the soft exterior ones with the big blue stripes are very beefy and comfy.

Thanks, I'll check them out when I can. I bought a cheap solution from Target but I could do with something a little fluffier/thicker.

Is there any consensus on the medical issues associated with pillows that are too soft/thin or too hard/thick? I guess that humans evolved to use our hands or someone/something else in the sleeping pile as a prop, and I do wake up with my hands under my head if my pillow is too thin. The "correct" solution to pillows is either non-obvious or non-existant to me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

uapyro posted:

http://goo.gl/i6H2R - I have this one, and it's supposed to do that. I haven't actually tested it since I wasn't sure if the heater cuts completely off after that or not. The manual say it has a morning and evening timer, so two of them to play with.

Thanks man. That's a bit higher than i'd like but I paid a similar price for the one I've been using forever. I think i'll pick this guy up around payday.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
I have been trying to get caught up in this thread. There are so many good recommendations. I want to re-recommend the Zebra F 301 pens, they are great. Nice smooth writing.

I want a recommendation for a good booklight(it can be a head light or a clip on) I just want to get something worthwhile. I have had trouble in the past, so any good recommendations would be appreciated.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
I need a desk that is A: as affordable as possible, B: can be used as a workbench (I.E have a vise/press/etc attached to it without much fuss and take some weight), and C: doesn't move around or wobble or anything.

Also, Mechanix gloves are loving awesome. If you need a comfortable, fairly durable, flexible glove, then these are for you.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm in the market for a new mattress. I've been moving a lot recently so I've been on an air mattress for about 8 or 9 months now and it's fine but I'm finally settling down and am in the market to get a real bed.

I don't have a lot of money but I'm willing to save up if need be. I am a big man (300# and 6'4) and I don't have a box spring.

I've been looking on Amazon at a combination such as this: Memory foam + 2-in-1 Frame/Box Spring.

I am concerned that a memory foam will be too warm or will break down in the middle but I've always had trouble with breakdowns on cheap beds. Looking for a queen (I like my space) but could do a full if the price difference + quality make it worth it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're poor and need a bed find the nearest IKEA. I don't recommend IKEA for everything, but they do have certain specialties and one of those is cheap beds. Also cheap igh quality childrens toys, decent small frying pans and respectable tables. Just don't buy lights from there, everyone I know whos ever gotten a light from IKEA has had nothing but grief piled on horror. I personally strongly dislike IKEA mattresses but some people swear by them, especially the kind of strange foam ones them make. If you're worried about memory foam I'd go with a nice thick memory foam mattress topper or thick pillowtop which will give you the firm support of a normal mattress with some of the plush comfort of a memory foam one. Also mattress pads/toppers are way cheaper than a full mattress.

Probably also a good idea to see what your local mattress place has on deep discount. Mattress stores are a dying breed and its not common to find one going out business if you look. Plus you get to go to the store a lay on mattresses to test them out!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

If you're worried about memory foam I'd go with a nice thick memory foam mattress topper or thick pillowtop which will give you the firm support of a normal mattress with some of the plush comfort of a memory foam one. Also mattress pads/toppers are way cheaper than a full mattress.
Mattress toppers are a recipe for the fitted sheet never fitting right. They're a pain in the rear end, and cause the sheet to ride up/come off, the corners of the topper to curl in, and the bed to look messy.

Dominoes has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Mar 4, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

If you're poor and need a bed find the nearest IKEA. I don't recommend IKEA for everything, but they do have certain specialties and one of those is cheap beds. Also cheap igh quality childrens toys, decent small frying pans and respectable tables. Just don't buy lights from there, everyone I know whos ever gotten a light from IKEA has had nothing but grief piled on horror. I personally strongly dislike IKEA mattresses but some people swear by them, especially the kind of strange foam ones them make.

Seconding this - my wife and I bought a latex mattress with some of our wedding money three years ago from IKEA. It's a hair too firm for her taste (although we're still technically breaking it in) but I sleep like a log on it, and being latex it's essentially an 8" thick slab of rubber with some holes bored into it so it'll last a really long time with no springs to wear out, strikes a nice balance between insulating without overdoing it like memory foam can and benefits from not transferring movement to your partner. I think we paid about $1000 for the top of the line mattress in queen, which is a steal compared with latex mattress pricing elsewhere.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I don't recall this being posted here, but the threads pretty long and it deserves another endorsement anyway...

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=sonos&index=blended

Sonos 'wireless' music system. AMAZING.

There are quite a few different items, but the gist of it is that you get one of them connected to your home network, and you're setup. These are the apple devices of home audio, and I mean that in a good way. I bought 3 over the weekend and had 3 rooms setup and playing music in 15 minutes. It literally took me longer to rearrange other items so that I had a power plug. On top of their ease of setup\being wireless, the software is clean, beautiful, easy, and free(apple, mac, android, iphone). Works with all sorts of media servers, itunes, last.fm, pandora, everything else.

Only downside is the price, which isn't really that expensive compared to anything that tries to do the same thing. 2 regular connects and an amplified connect ran me $1,200, but a few years ago when I considered running speaker wire to every room and getting a multi-zone receiver to drive them was gonna be more than that, without even getting into some sort of wireless remote or internet connections.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
So I am a coffee nerd, and I have a gooseneck kettle:
http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Vari...avita+gooseneck
(Awesome product, but probably not recommendable for the average person. If you want a specific temp kettle for tea/coffee or something, do check it out!)

Problem is, the flow from the kettle is still too fast despite the gooseneck design, and I'd like to restrict it.
I can get pliers and physically restrict it, but I don't want to ruin the aesthetics of the kettle.

Is there some solution that can make the diameter of the spout smaller or something?
I was thinking putty, but I wasn't sure any solutions would handle repeated boiling and be food-safe (and not leave any residue taste).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I'm still waiting on a competitor to sonos. Love the idea, just can't justify the price. Someone should just make a raspberry pi powered "host" box that just sits on your wifi as a sonos node (or open source equivilent) and allows whatever software to control it. Could even have a built in (modest) amp. Couldn't be that expensive, damnit!

Anyway, I have a product to recommend to a small subset of goons. If anyone heats their homes with wood or wood pellets, I bought this ash vaccuum. Most ash vacuums are 2-4x the price, but given the positive reviews on amazon I took a shot.

Compared to the small shop vac with a wet tshirt over the exhaust port to catch the fine dust I was using, it is well worth the $80-90. Zero dust comes out of the exhaust port and the filter on the thing is really sturdy. I've been using it about a month and I just emptied it for the first time, good capacity and the filter worked perfectly. Suction is not as good as a shop vac but it doesn't need to be for sucking up ash. Love this thing, wish I would have bought it a long time ago.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm still waiting on a competitor to sonos. Love the idea, just can't justify the price. Someone should just make a raspberry pi powered "host" box that just sits on your wifi as a sonos node (or open source equivilent) and allows whatever software to control it. Could even have a built in (modest) amp. Couldn't be that expensive, damnit!

I agree with this entirely. Once they have a legitimate competitor the prices will quickly fall. I was hoping that Airplay would help but all the Airplay stuff that hit the market is either insanely priced ($1k+) or garbage, or both.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Mattress toppers are a recipe for the fitted sheet never fitting right. They're a pain in the rear end, and cause the sheet to ride up/come off, the corners of the topper to curl in, and the bed to look messy.

I was having that problem after I got an awesome memory foam topper for my bed. But these sheet suspenders make everything better.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

I agree with this entirely. Once they have a legitimate competitor the prices will quickly fall. I was hoping that Airplay would help but all the Airplay stuff that hit the market is either insanely priced ($1k+) or garbage, or both.

I had read that Google was working on an open source airplay competitor and part of that was going to be what the Q was, but who knows if that's still happening.

The Q looks/looked interesting, but I'm not really interested in the video portion of it. Allow me to control it as a zone from my phone or something and drive 2 (or 1) speakers from it for $50-70 per node and I'll start drilling holes in my ceiling tomorrow. Then the Q (with the video portion) could be a more expensive option.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for any recommendations on a good solar phone charger, preferably one that will support iphone (not the new cable) and microusb.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

Looking for any recommendations on a good solar phone charger, preferably one that will support iphone (not the new cable) and microusb.

I have one of these and while it's a bit pricey at $150, it is also awesome. It having an internal battery is great so I can charge the battery and then plug in my phone as needed. It comes with microUSB and iPhone tips as well as a female USB for any other weird cable (iPhone 5) you might need to use in the future.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I've tried many solar chargers and the SolarJoos is the best iv'e tried so far.

I am looking for a durable flash drive. It seems all the ones I buy fall apart after a few months. They aren't particularly expensive but still. I still have the very first flash drive I ever bought, it was made by Lexar and holds 16MB. Either the port gets bent or the mechanizm inside the port gets damaged.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Another Solarjoos recommendation. On a three day camping trip mine kept three smartphones alive without breaking a sweat. The currently charging phone used the solarjoos itself for shade while being charged. :v:

(Because it's going to come up, they weren't actually used much while camping. Just kept on with a weak battery draining signal strength in case of emergencies.)

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
My niece is getting interested in doing magic tricks and I thought it would be a cool thing to do with her. She's teaching herself from videos she finds on YouTube but I'd love to buy her a proper kit. Can anyone recommend something cool for smart 8 year olds, maybe from Amazon or some specialty dealer?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

burnsep posted:

My niece is getting interested in doing magic tricks and I thought it would be a cool thing to do with her. She's teaching herself from videos she finds on YouTube but I'd love to buy her a proper kit. Can anyone recommend something cool for smart 8 year olds, maybe from Amazon or some specialty dealer?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/

Get one of the beginner DVDs, or even one of the downloadable videos.

(DirtyRobot's shameful highschool hobby revealed.)

KoB
May 1, 2009

bobua posted:

I don't recall this being posted here, but the threads pretty long and it deserves another endorsement anyway...

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=sonos&index=blended

Sonos 'wireless' music system. AMAZING.

There are quite a few different items, but the gist of it is that you get one of them connected to your home network, and you're setup. These are the apple devices of home audio, and I mean that in a good way. I bought 3 over the weekend and had 3 rooms setup and playing music in 15 minutes. It literally took me longer to rearrange other items so that I had a power plug. On top of their ease of setup\being wireless, the software is clean, beautiful, easy, and free(apple, mac, android, iphone). Works with all sorts of media servers, itunes, last.fm, pandora, everything else.

Only downside is the price, which isn't really that expensive compared to anything that tries to do the same thing. 2 regular connects and an amplified connect ran me $1,200, but a few years ago when I considered running speaker wire to every room and getting a multi-zone receiver to drive them was gonna be more than that, without even getting into some sort of wireless remote or internet connections.

My roommate works for Sonos and he gets tons of free equipment and beta tests different stuff (great company to work for :v:). Its all pretty great. You can access them with any iOS/Android device and can just unplug the speaker and carry it wherever you want it, plug it in (within your wireless network range) and it just goes. You can sync all the devices in your home or have each one playing something different.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I really like my Sonos Connect. Plugged into a DAC and a big rear end amplifier it's the dogs bollocks. Going to get one of the smaller speaker systems for my kitchen at some point too, and then maybe another connect and a small hifi for the bedroom. The remote app on the iPad isn't perfect but it's drat good. I'd like, for example, to be able to force it to sync the library when I want rather then having to set a time for it.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

DirtyRobot posted:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/

Get one of the beginner DVDs, or even one of the downloadable videos.

(DirtyRobot's shameful highschool hobby revealed.)

That's a great suggestion, and I'll follow up with that, but is there anything more... physical I could give her? A present is always more exciting if it's a box you can unwrap!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

burnsep posted:

That's a great suggestion, and I'll follow up with that, but is there anything more... physical I could give her? A present is always more exciting if it's a box you can unwrap!

How about something like a Svengali Deck? Or Cup and Balls? I'm sure you'd be able to find them on Penguin Magic along with an instructional DVD (god, I used to order from them in high school too. Nostalgia ahoy). Those tricks are easy to do and has lots of variations. The "magic kits" you can find in ToysRus or whatever is pretty badly made. Good for kids, maybe, but if they want to show their friends instead of just family it's better to get them a well made set.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This thing is a crowd favorite in the 3DS thread. The screen protector for the 3DS and 3DS XL by Hori.

I've always hated to put on screen protectors because I could never apply them without air bubbles. I love this thing because it comes fresh out of the envelope easy to put on perfectly. It makes me hope that there's somebody who packages a smartphone screen protector just as well. It's great how it's all set up, adhesive strips to hold it in place, nice three-layered application with step-by-step instructions. It's so nice I ordered their Wii U gamepad protector too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
More of a service recommendation, I hope that's fine:

Could anyone recommend the best company (preferably online) that I could use to transfer money overseas? My wife sends money to her grandmother in Peru once a month and she's been driving all the way across town to a Hispanic grocery store (For some reason it never dawned on me that there was probably a better alternative until now) just to do it. So not only do we pay for the transfer but also for the gas and the risk of an impulse buy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

More of a service recommendation, I hope that's fine:

Could anyone recommend the best company (preferably online) that I could use to transfer money overseas? My wife sends money to her grandmother in Peru once a month and she's been driving all the way across town to a Hispanic grocery store (For some reason it never dawned on me that there was probably a better alternative until now) just to do it. So not only do we pay for the transfer but also for the gas and the risk of an impulse buy.

I've used Xoom.com for ages but they have a somewhat limited list of countries. Its great though, a flat fee and its usually in the receiving account within an hour.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Peru's on that list, thanks.

Sephiroth_IRA has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Speedboat Jones posted:

This thing is a crowd favorite in the 3DS thread. The screen protector for the 3DS and 3DS XL by Hori.

I've always hated to put on screen protectors because I could never apply them without air bubbles. I love this thing because it comes fresh out of the envelope easy to put on perfectly. It makes me hope that there's somebody who packages a smartphone screen protector just as well. It's great how it's all set up, adhesive strips to hold it in place, nice three-layered application with step-by-step instructions. It's so nice I ordered their Wii U gamepad protector too.

Most decent quality smartphone screen protectors affix using a combination of a catalyst fluid and a sharp edged piece of plastic that pushes all the air bubbles out from under them.

• Locked thread